The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

View Poll Results: Whose icon appeals to you the most?
TwilightBlade 5 16.13%
EternallyAnna 1 3.23%
Wolflare 2 6.45%
NecrumWarrior 0 0%
Alexial357 0 0%
fortworth96 3 9.68%
Twilight Sky 1 3.23%
GolurkIsDaBomb 2 6.45%
jellicentfan1 1 3.23%
Reb(0)rn 0 0%
Sunfished 1 3.23%
Aerilyn 4 12.90%
LilJz1234 1 3.23%
SNOR(es)LAX 1 3.23%
Tackle 1 3.23%
Snowdrop 2 6.45%
Miss Doronjo 0 0%
Toshiro. 1 3.23%
Avishka 0 0%
Fire Flyy 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:38 AM
Dante
Silver Soul

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dante
{Icontest - Pokémon}

D
eadline - May 31st, 2013

Rules
  • Please make sure that you, as participant, vote before 31st. It is optional for non-participants but it isn't so for you. It's mandatory that you vote or you'll be disqualified.
  • Although it's okay if you just vote and go along, it is expected of you that you make a small post underlining why you voted for the icon that you did. No need to write huge paragraphs; a single line would honestly suffice if you don't want to write much!
  • Do not vote for yourself.
Entries -

TwilightBlade

Stock used: link

EternallyAnna

Stock 1 & Stock 2.

Wolflare

Stock Used

NecrumWarrior

Stock 1
Stock 2
Stock 3

Alexial357

Stock

fortworth96

Stock 1
Stock 2
Stock 3

Twilight Sky

Stock

GolurkIsDaBomb

Stock

jellicentfan1

Stock

Reb0rn

Stock

Sunfished

Stock

Aerilyn

Stock

LilJz1234

Stock

Snor(es)lax

Stock

Tackle

Stock

Snowdrop

Stock: http://archives.bulbagarden.net/medi...176Togetic.png

Miss Doronjo

Stock used: click!

Toshiro.

Stock can be found here.

Avishka

Stock

Fire flyy

Stock

I could've made this a little more organized but I'm not on my PC. So yeah, sorry for the messed up layout of the thread. :( Anyway, let the voting commence!

Last edited by Dante; May 31st, 2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:38 AM
Miss Fortune
Fortune doesn't favor fools!

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss Fortune
Congrats to all of the contestants, as all of the icons really turned out well. This was my first time making an icon and it was really fun. I look forward to participating in the other icontest as well! I will update my post later with the one I voted for, as I have not decided still because it is so hard to choose.

I decided to cast my vote for Golurk's because I just love the way that the colors are used on the Kecleon and the pose is just right. It really has that icon feel to it. I also feel that it is a bit more unique than the others and that is what won me over. It was a hard decision as I had narrowed it down to Wolf's, Alexial's, Derk's, Fire Flyy's, and Tom's and ultimately decided to vote for Tom's icon. All entries were great though!

Last edited by Miss Fortune; May 21st, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:18 AM
moments.
{quixotic}

Nature: Calm
Voted for Aerilyn, loved the cleanness of the icon and the contrast between empty space and bright colours. Twilight Sky was a very close second, and while I adore the style of colouring used, I felt Aerilyn's just felt nicer as an icon.

Great entries from everyone!

Old May 21st, 2013, 07:55 AM
LilJz
Legendary lovers♥

Nature: Quiet
The background of EternallyAnna is really nice, it fits with the image she took. I like it a lot.
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:16 AM
Aquacorde
↪ i can do anything

Nature: Bold
I love Wolflare's. The lighting/contrast and positioning make the icon dramatic and create a feel of latent power and a precursor to movement.

basically what i'm saying is that it's cool
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:16 PM
Fairy
believe in magic

Gunna cast my vote for Toshiro! It's so cute! :3 not an expert critique, I know

I wish you could all be winners ;; Really quality work from everyone!

Old May 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.

Nature: Gentle
Voting for blade's, cause cuteness just wins me over.
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:56 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Snowdrop gets my vote. I'm impressed with how she made a beautiful icon using official art. I adore the lovely pinks and blues in her piece. The rainbow light makes the icon pop, too. Honorable mention goes to Fire Flyy for using a very cool color scheme.

All really wonderful entries! Best of luck, folks. go make a gallery!
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:57 PM
Sunfished
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nature: Lax
Golurk's won it for me.
The great vibrance of those saturated colors bring out a sort of whimsical feeling. I'm always a sucker for color radiance, and it surely brought out Kecleon's silliness
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:06 PM
Fire Flyy
metaphysical poet

Nature: Sassy
snowdrop's is nice but i think they could have done more with coloring the togekiss than just having it on there, twilightblade's is nice as well but I guess I was never big on the white bg ones or its that I see too much of them. that said I voted for Wolflare since his just looked cool colors wise. Here's to hoping i get a vote on mine lol, if anyone wants to drop any critiques then feel free!
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:02 PM
xxkaylabby
[.:pokemon princess:.]

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to xxkaylabby Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to xxkaylabby Send a message via Skype™ to xxkaylabby
all of these icons are great(: my vote went to Tackle though. super cute, love the simple background and the coloring ^__^

|Pair|
|Theme|
|Tumblr|
|My Gallery|
|Friend Code|
|Trade Thread|

Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Fort PokePower
Muffins forever

Nature: Quirky
I voted for TwilightBlade's, just cause I like the coloration and the shading and the Flareon.
Description of Fargona: Uncompleted
Dragon Descriptions: 14 out of 22 completed
Important NPCs: Uncompleted
Rules: Uncompleted
Sign-Up Sheet: Uncompleted
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:22 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
This was a tough one; I was between Aerlyn and Fortworth.

Aerlyn transformed non-digital artwork into digital artwork. It's a clean and crisp image.

Fortworth effectively utilized 3 stocks, and really transformed the work. I went with this because of the overall transformation.

Eternal Anna made a great entry as well.

I have never heard of icon making before. Though, it seems like the objective is to enhance the original stock(s) whether it is color, texture, quality, background, or combination thereof. To me, again, I have no experience with icons, it seems like the majority of these did not seek to transform the original stock much from minimizing and upping the contrast and brightness a bit, if at all. I am wondering if I am mistaken in the objective of icon making, as I stated above. Hope that doesn't sound overly critical.

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Dante
Silver Soul

Although all of the entries we got this time were impressive, the ones that stood out the most for me were Blade's and Shivi's. It was a close one but I ultimately decided to go for shivi's since I absolutely adore those colors and the positioning. It really is one hell of an icon. Blade's was really nice as well but the stock's positioning felt a wee bit awkward to me. A little negative space would've worked in its favor, in my opinion.

Anyway, amazing stuff, guys! All the best to everyone. 5-6 more days to go; anything can happen!
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:06 PM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
Can I enter?
I would submit my avatar if I did...

Anyway I voted for the Scizor by Fire Flyy, I think the color in it is majestic, and it's drawn perfectly.
I would have voted for the Kecleon by GolurkIsDaBomb but I voted for Scizor because whoever drew it put a lot of effort into it & I like that, the original image of Kecleon is cool yet it's saved in low quality JPG format which kills it :/

Last edited by AnonygooseD; May 26th, 2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: lol wut?
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Link
Rupee Moderator

The icons I liked most were Blade's and Aerilyn's. However I went with the latter, I feel that the manipulation of the stock was such an improvement on the original colours in which really accentuated the simplicity that I like to see in a finished icon. It is personally the one I would enjoy using most. I also have to commend Necrum for really going for a complicated design and idea, but sometimes with icons less is more. In fact, that is usually the case.

Anyway, some lovely work above, but had to go with Aerilyn's. I'd like to see both him and TB win, given the class in simplicity, I just feel that due to an overly sharpened stock on TB's, that Aerilyn's is a notch above.
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Doctor
Allons-y!

Nature: Naive
I voted for Fire Flyy because even though some other icons were flashier done, this one was cut well from the stock and the upped redness of it added to the feeling of a progressing attack in a good way. And of course, it's good looking.

trust me, I am the Doctor !
Auspistice | Matesprit | Moirail | Kismesis

Old May 30th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Elaitenstile
Sea turtles, mate.

Nature: Naive
Since every one of them were very well done, I think I vote for LilJz1234 because I think that Mewtwo manipulation from the stock stood out. I wanted to consider in the alterations from the stock, since it won't look nice if you cropped and resized some stock, would it? Anyway I think that Aerilyn's and Alexial's were beautifully recolourised, because from the original stock of Alexial's I can see a minor flaw in Spearow's colouring. And that was fixed but since I thought that that simple dark blue mask on LilJz's icon was really nice, I vote for it.

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Savvy?
#johnnydeppjacksparrow
Previously known as ★Hoenn★

Old May 30th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Dante
Silver Soul

A few hours to go, people! Vote if you haven't already! :]

Though, must say, the quality of critique most of you guys posted here is beyond what I ever expected. Let's hope y'all continue to participate each month. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking
I have never heard of icon making before. Though, it seems like the objective is to enhance the original stock(s) whether it is color, texture, quality, background, or combination thereof. To me, again, I have no experience with icons, it seems like the majority of these did not seek to transform the original stock much from minimizing and upping the contrast and brightness a bit, if at all. I am wondering if I am mistaken in the objective of icon making, as I stated above. Hope that doesn't sound overly critical.
People can choose to add textures, c4ds or even brushes if they want. Though, since icons are small pieces of graphic art, they generally choose to refrain from doing so. Having tons of textures/c4ds along with the stock in such a small piece would, most likely, introduce unnecessary clutter in the piece and ruin it. As Gav put it nicely, as far as icons are concerned, "less is more". As a result, people generally enhance the brightness/contrast, lighting, depth or the colors. Or all of them. I personally prefer those which have enhanced colors. :p

Though saying that most didn't change much is going a little overboard. Check out Blade's or Aeryln's. Color enhanced. Or Snowdrop's, Anna's or NecrumWarrior's. They aren't icons with simply copy-pasted stocks and increased contrast. Some work DID go into them. And it's visible. lD
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:12 AM
Dante
Silver Soul

ICONTEST #1 - Pokémon
the monthly icon-making competition

And the results are in! It seems like we have a tie on our hands, people. The winners are:
Winners
Fire Flyy / TwilightBlade
Aerilyn (Runner Up)

Congratulations to TwilightBlade and Fire Flyy for winning the first Icontest! (in quite a while, at least :p) Your icons were definitely really well done. Yours too, Shivi. :') I/Alexial will be sending your emblems your way pretty soon! n_n;

Here's to hope that the future icontests continue to garner as much participation as this one or even more. :] Ooh, and one little thing before I end this post -

We've decided that we'll let the winner decide the next theme of the icontest. This thread here will serve as a discussion thread for the winners to take other contestants' opinions into consideration (if they wish to do so) and come to a conclusion regarding the theme of the next icontest. Plus, the winners will get to design the emblems for the next icontest too! :D Of course, this one's optional, though. :p If possible, don't take much longer than 2-3 days to come to a conclusion, by the way. We'd like to get the next icontest started asap!

With that said, hope you people had fun in this competition. I sure did. :D Let the discussion begin!
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:50 AM
Avishka
Banannaaa~

Send a message via Skype™ to Avishka
congrats Fire Flyy , TwilightBlade and Aerilyn!!
u all had awesome icons :3

lets do the next theme from a video game or something.

Old May 31st, 2013, 07:00 AM
Dante
Silver Soul

Video Game sounds good! What are your thoughts, Blade & Fire Flyy? You guys know you want to go for One Piece, right? :p
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:02 AM
awolffromspace
whatever happens, happens

Damnit, I kept putting off voting for this and lost track of time, then it ended up being too late to vote. :( Oh well, congratulations to all the winners, and good luck to everyone else for future competitions!

Edit: Video games seems like a suitable theme to me. I know Blade will love the chance to use something from Borderlands or Sonic.

Last edited by awolffromspace; May 31st, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:38 AM
Dante
Silver Soul

Oh yeah, knowing Blade, she'd probably go for Borderlands, Sonic or probably FMA. :p Though I'd advise you people not to select a niche theme. I mean, try not to go for a theme which would turn people away or anything. Just saiyan. :p
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:56 AM
awolffromspace
whatever happens, happens

We all came here because of Pokemon, which is a video game. I'd say it's a fair assumption that everyone will have something in mind for the theme!

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links