Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design
Reload this Page
DCC
A&D's what is weather chat

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Old May 31st, 2013 (07:56 AM).
Symbiosis
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Hello, I just got Photoshop CS 6. I have never worked with graphics before at all and there is a lot I wish to learn and I am serious and dedicated about learning it. I want to learn at the moment just the basics. Like there's so many buttons and options in CS 6 and it is so confusing I don't know what to use or how to use it.

I want to make a signature and test my skills but I have no clue how to get started! I am looking for any guides/tutorials that are for complete noobs and explain everything.

My goals are to basically become a Graphics person who makes Avatar and Signatures for users and my self. In the future once I become good at it I may expand to other things.

I am willing to dedicate 5 hours per day, every day in Photoshop CS 6. So I am serious about this!

Please help me out!

*Cheers*

Windows 8.1 64 Bit | 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4940MX processor (Quad Core, 8MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.4GHz) | 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz | 1TB SSD Quad Play RAID 0 (4x256GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s) | Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M graphics with 16GB total (2x 8GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

☆Current Pre Ordered Games: Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare Atlas Pro Edition-PS4-11/3/2014-$119.99 | WWE 2K15 Hukkamania Edition-PS4-11/18/2014-$99.99 | GTA V-PS4-11/18/2014-$59.99 | Pokemon Alpha Sapphire & Pokemon Omega Ruby-Nintendo 3DS-11/21/2014-$39.99 Each | Battlefield Hardline Deluxe Edition-PS4-3/31/2015 - $69.99

Old May 31st, 2013 (11:36 AM).
Fairy
ş̛͇̌͌̂ͪͩ̃̎̃͌ a̢̼͊͊͐́̇͆̍̚͟ͅ ͅv̨̙̹̘̠̊ͨͧ̑ẻ ̶̩̩̮ͭ̈̍̾́͡ tͨ̀ ̡͕̗̫̘̣͛̆̏ͦ͢͡ h̓ͬͪͪ̊̍̋̿̎ȅ̊ m̴̨͍̬̿ͫͩͨͥͩͭ͠ ̙

Quote originally posted by Noblebeastx:
Hello, I just got Photoshop CS 6. I have never worked with graphics before at all and there is a lot I wish to learn and I am serious and dedicated about learning it. I want to learn at the moment just the basics. Like there's so many buttons and options in CS 6 and it is so confusing I don't know what to use or how to use it.

I want to make a signature and test my skills but I have no clue how to get started! I am looking for any guides/tutorials that are for complete noobs and explain everything.

My goals are to basically become a Graphics person who makes Avatar and Signatures for users and my self. In the future once I become good at it I may expand to other things.

I am willing to dedicate 5 hours per day, every day in Photoshop CS 6. So I am serious about this!

Please help me out!

*Cheers*
Hey! :D Glad you decided to pop in for some followup!

Well, I'm by no means accustomed to graphic design, but I'll do a bit of research for you and see if I can't find a nice, easy to follow tutorial on some basics. I believe color manipulation is a good place to start but, again, I wouldn't really know. But hey, after I look some stuff up for you and you get a chance to practice, why don't you participate in our next icontest to flex your skills? ;)

Old June 1st, 2013 (04:07 AM).
Symbiosis
Community Supporter

Alright thank you.

I went and tried making my first signature after watching this video tut. I got the layers down pat. Selecting a brush and text. What I seemed to have issue with was that when I selected my render it had no background. All white but when i copied it into the photoshop cs 6 it got a black surrounding. I used magic eraser to get ride of it and when i did not only did the black surrounding go but the some the color from the outter edges of the render went too. Now I thought I could get around that but When I started to work with the brushes it showed up.

Anyways, I am really interested in pokemon userbars. I am going to continue to try to make signatures but I want to learn how to make userbars. Like they look simple.

Windows 8.1 64 Bit | 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4940MX processor (Quad Core, 8MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.4GHz) | 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz | 1TB SSD Quad Play RAID 0 (4x256GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s) | Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M graphics with 16GB total (2x 8GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

☆Current Pre Ordered Games: Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare Atlas Pro Edition-PS4-11/3/2014-$119.99 | WWE 2K15 Hukkamania Edition-PS4-11/18/2014-$99.99 | GTA V-PS4-11/18/2014-$59.99 | Pokemon Alpha Sapphire & Pokemon Omega Ruby-Nintendo 3DS-11/21/2014-$39.99 Each | Battlefield Hardline Deluxe Edition-PS4-3/31/2015 - $69.99

Old June 1st, 2013 (06:47 PM).
Fairy
ş̛͇̌͌̂ͪͩ̃̎̃͌ a̢̼͊͊͐́̇͆̍̚͟ͅ ͅv̨̙̹̘̠̊ͨͧ̑ẻ ̶̩̩̮ͭ̈̍̾́͡ tͨ̀ ̡͕̗̫̘̣͛̆̏ͦ͢͡ h̓ͬͪͪ̊̍̋̿̎ȅ̊ m̴̨͍̬̿ͫͩͨͥͩͭ͠ ̙

Hm.. maybe you're erasing through all of the layers? I'm not really sure.. I'm not acquainted with graphics at all. For me it's more like, "bad line? UNDO >:3". But maybe some of the graphic artists here would like to help? Or, you could take a video of what's happening and show us? I'm sure then you could get a more viable answer from the community.

But, if you're struggling with making tags it's always good to fall back on something you consider simple! n_n; Although, I've never made a userbar, so I can't promise for sure that they're "simple".. but I suppose that depends on how complex you want them to be, eh? Good luck on that though. Please post some of your stuff when you finish! :D

Old June 1st, 2013 (07:43 PM).
TwilightBlade
Protect his very soul.

Hey Noblebeast, can you take a screenshot of what happened? You need to save renders to your computer and open them in Photoshop. If you find a picture online that has a white background, copy it, and paste it into Photoshop, it will have a black background. That's the only thing I can think of, anyway. You can adjust how much the eraser is removing, too.

Userbars are a good start, and so are icons if you want to learn coloring. Click on everything Deviantart has to offer for graphics. Brushes, tutorials, actions, uhh check out the resources thread here, yeah.

Old June 2nd, 2013 (12:17 PM).
Fairy

Oh yeah! TwilightBlade just reminded me! Noble, why don't you try participating in the upcoming icontest? :D They may be a good way for your to practice.

Old June 2nd, 2013 (01:51 PM).
Symbiosis
Community Supporter

Ya I made me a devaint page, im working on pixel art more so now but I did figure out how to set the magic eraser so it doesnt get ride of so much from the real picture.

As far as the contest I will get blown away and come in last place. If I want to practice I can do it on my own time.

Old June 2nd, 2013 (04:37 PM).
Fairy

Well, that's a shame, I'm sure there's plenty of people who would like to see what icons you could come up with.

Speaking of which, the new Icontest #2 has been posted guys!

{go check it out}

Old June 2nd, 2013 (06:37 PM).
TheFattestSnorlax
You know it!
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Hey, never thought this existed! I've been looking for something like this, but I can't seem to figure out why I can't find any good art of Snorlax. There are a lot of other Pokémon that are drawn far more than others, like the new ones announced, but finding what I want is a downright toughie. What do you guys think?
Old June 2nd, 2013 (06:55 PM).
Fairy

Ah, I agree. It seems less popular Pokemon like Snorlax always fall to the wayside, in the shadow of the Lucarios and Arcanines out there. :c

Old June 2nd, 2013 (07:04 PM).
TheFattestSnorlax
You know it!
Community Supporter

I had hoped that coming to this section would bring me some good Pokémon art but to no avail. Nothing interesting actually comes up when searching from thread to thread. I believe our Oekaki should be promoted so that we could make use of the good Pokémon art we have (It looks like it gets no views! That's a problem!). Then that way people will be happy.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (07:14 PM).
derozio
randomness personified ツ
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Why don't you try searching at safebooru or pixiv? They always have some good pokemon fanart. ;D

As for oekaki...yeah, it is dead at his point. I personally never used it either, haha.

✘ Theme based on Shingeki no Bahamut [] icon color manip by me
Old June 2nd, 2013 (07:18 PM).
Fairy

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've got some pretty great pokemon art in my gallery... just sayin'. >_>;

But hey, if you want to request a Snorlax piece than you've come to the right place! Small traditional / digital drawing requests are allowed here, and I'll happily doodle something up for you, if you'd like! n_n;

Old June 4th, 2013 (01:29 PM).
TheFattestSnorlax
You know it!
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Alexial357:
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've got some pretty great pokemon art in my gallery... just sayin'. ;

But hey, if you want to request a Snorlax piece than you've come to the right place! Small traditional / digital drawing requests are allowed here, and I'll happily doodle something up for you, if you'd like! n_n;
Oh yes! Yes, I would love that!
Old June 4th, 2013 (11:39 PM).
Fairy

Haha, cool.

I'm a bit busy with other requests and projects, but I'll PM you soon!

Old June 7th, 2013 (09:26 PM). Edited June 7th, 2013 by Bartolomeo.
Bartolomeo
Youtube = Crap

Apart from the sites mentioned by derozio, zerochan is another good place to look for fanarts.

Anyway, no real topic being discussed here, right? I'll ask a question then. Who, in your opinion, are one of the better graphic/traditional/digital artists of this forum? I've looked around and the ones which stood out to me are abnegation's gfx (and digital art), Loki & Pokestick as well as Alexial's digital art. There are some pretty sprites in alexial's gallery as well. Haven't ventured much in PA.

Also, do you need to be inspired to do good work? Any specific person/site which serves as a constant source of inspiration?

The Monster Trio
Old June 8th, 2013 (12:04 AM).
Fairy

Quote originally posted by Bartolomeo:
Apart from the sites mentioned by derozio, zerochan is another good place to look for fanarts.

Anyway, no real topic being discussed here, right? I'll ask a question then. Who, in your opinion, are one of the better graphic/traditional/digital artists of this forum? I've looked around and the ones which stood out to me are abnegation's gfx (and digital art), Loki & Pokestick as well as Alexial's digital art. There are some pretty sprites in alexial's gallery as well. Haven't ventured much in PA.

Also, do you need to be inspired to do good work? Any specific person/site which serves as a constant source of inspiration?
That is an excellent question and observation. :) And thank you!

I think you pretty much nailed it, Loki and Pokestick are definitely some of our strongest artists. Although, I personally wouldn't count myself among them. Not because I'm insecure in my own talents, mind you, but because they have this innate, inherent ability to create. It's not so much their individual skills I admire (which I still do, of course), but their techniques and styles. Also, they've had so much time to hone their digital/traditional skills and really develop them, so I definitely consider them not just my favorite artists in A&D, but artist's whom I personally look up to.

That being said, I believe every artist here deserves special mention. I think we all have strengths in different areas. The Pokedex project is a good example of this, as it pretty much displays our individual artistic weaknesses and how we compensate for them by working as a team to create a final, amazing product.

As for your second question, while I can't speak for anyone else, I find that some of my best pieces come from when I just doodle. Seldom do I sit down with a thought and complete it (unless doing a request, of course). But basically all of my completed works are just glorified sketches, so "inspiration" more or less only effects whether or not I pick up the pencil, not what I draw with it, if that makes sense. If I had to choose an artist here who's inspired me? Well, Abnegation and Derozio for sure.. not because we practice similar mediums because, well, we don't; but because they've pushed me to be a better artist on my own. Sites on the other hand? I'll get back to you on that. :p

Old June 15th, 2013 (03:47 AM).
Bartolomeo
Youtube = Crap

The art pokédex, of course. It definitely is shaping up to be quite a huge project. Gone through it a few times and I'd like to commend all the artists who've worked hard on it. There certainly is no lack of creativity in this forum when it comes to designing fakemons.

And, well, you're pretty damn good too. I just feel that your stronger pieces tend to be those that are based on western art while Pokey's and Loki's are more anime/east oriented. Your styles differ quite a bit; they're quite distinct. And that's definitely a good thing! The fact that you people have developed styles that are sorely your own and are instantly recognizable is a really good feat. One of the hardest things an artist has to deal with when he jumps into art is that he has to learn to carve an identity - he has to work hard to develop his own style. You all, in my opinion, have crossed that hurdle. I personally struggled for years to do it. Guess I still am doing it, haha.

And surely not. I wonder if there actually are artists that do it - "sit down with a thought and complete something", I mean. I personally haven't seen any as of yet. Inspiration or lack of it decides whether I open up PS or not. You might think I'm confusing "inspiration" with "motivation" but it's like...I feel motivated when I'm inspired. They both go with each other in my case.

Props to them for motivating you, btw. :p And you never got back to me. Makes Bart a sad puppy. I'll answer my own question, I suppose - I generally look over stuff from deviantart and tumblr. There are plenty of artists and their art that catches my attention and I go "wow, I must work hard to get better. JUST LOOK AT THEIR STUFF!". I don't really have any page bookmarked right now, though. I sort of...remember their name if they stick out to me. Take awasai's works (stumbled upon him on a One Piece site), for example:

Spoiler:

He makes clay models. Former is the model of the Donquixote Doflamingo from One Piece while the latter is a collection of various protagonists from Indie games. Meatboy (from Super Meat Boy) and Tim (from Braid) are two instantly recognizable characters to those who are into Video Gaming. I don't make clay models, naah, but I certainly do feel like trying to learn how to do it when I look at them, haha. I should have posted some graphic artist or digital artist's works, I know, but his name is what came to mind first. Even though our mediums are NOTHING alike, haha. Inspiration can be derived from anywhere, right?

Sorry for the tl;dr, btw.

The Monster Trio
Old July 20th, 2013 (11:58 PM).
derozio
randomness personified ツ
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Damn you Bartolomeo for killing the thread with your tl;dr. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Bumping this because I feel the need to state something - I just read a manga called Vagabond. Nevermind the incredibly mature story...the art. Man, is the guy talented. This is, no doubt, the most aesthetically appealing manga I've ever read. Most people probably wouldn't care to read it or whatever but at least google vagabond and check out the artwork, you guys. ;D

✘ Theme based on Shingeki no Bahamut [] icon color manip by me
Old July 22nd, 2013 (12:36 PM).
Fairy

Ah, I just checked it out.
Spoiler:

Seems pretty neat! I don't know if it's something I'd read, but the art style is pretty cool. I love the way the artist does female faces. I'll post a good example when I find one that's not gigantic. xD Definitely worth searching though.

Old August 4th, 2013 (08:35 PM). Edited October 22nd, 2013 by Benjamin85.
Benjamin85

i think try to introduce some unique idea about contest because every second forum doing this same type of contests.I think add some number game that every below person gives points to each other.
Old August 5th, 2013 (03:57 PM).
Fairy

Forum games belong in the Forum Game section though. A&D is for showcasing art! And we do hold plenty of contests. :) Snowdrop's signature contest and icontest respectively. Along with a bunch of other traditional / gfx related contests when I'm not so lazy

Old August 7th, 2013 (07:07 PM).
TwilightBlade
Protect his very soul.

I can't get myself to make new signatures. I spend so much time looking for new resources (don't really want to recycle things in a sig) that I'm tired out by the time I open photoshop... So, how do you stay creative, Alexial? XD

Old August 7th, 2013 (07:09 PM).
Zero°
Mirai Nikki
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Zero°
Quote originally posted by TwilightBlade:
I can't get myself to make new signatures. I spend so much time looking for new resources (don't really want to recycle things in a sig) that I'm tired out by the time I open photoshop... So, how do you stay creative, Alexial? XD
I honestly thought I was the only one with this problem.
#notforeveralone
Old August 7th, 2013 (07:58 PM).
Fairy

Waaat who said I'm able to stay creative? I get tired by just thinking about drawing too much. xDD

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links