The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:10 AM
LusoTrainer

Advertise here
Are there any Pokémon that you don't evolve into their final stage? Either because of their design or abilities? Which ones?
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:22 AM
OffRoadSP
Exploring Kalos

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to OffRoadSP
I don't evolve my shiny Pokemon. I keep them in the stage I captured them in. If by chance I caught 2nd shiny Pokemon of the same species, I'd evolve the one with the better stat spread.
Mountain Kalos Pokédex: Seen 23 Obtained 4
Kalos Medals: 74
Kalos Ribbons: 6

Old June 9th, 2013, 03:53 AM
milkymew

Nature: Relaxed
if i could figure out how to trade in my emerald game, i wouldn't evolve a clamperl into huntail, ever. it just looks weird.

Username: milkymew
Partner Pokemon: Flareon

Titles:[None]
Tatum's PokePet

Fira the level 80 Typhlosion!
Old June 9th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Limerent
Community Supporter

Right now I haven't evolved my Mudkip in Sapphire whatsoever, just because it's design is so cute and well known, Marshtomp and Swampert just don't have the same charm. So I herd u liek Mudkips...
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Well, I often delay evolution of pokémon whose design I really like, unless they learn a really good move it evolved at the earliest level. And example of the former would be Quilava, I delay its evolution until before Clair's gym if using it on HeartGold. Mudkip on the other hand, has to be evolved at lv.16 otherwise it's actually harder to use than the other starters - its type advantage over Wattson being completely wasted.
Poliwhirl is another I often delay, as I like the design of all 4 members of that family. And I also like utilising its speed for a bit before evolving into a slower pokémon.
Pikachu is one I've never evolved whilst using it as a team member. Mainly as I've only used it once, on LeafGreen when doing a game using PokéSpe Red's team. I evolved it once I was ready to move it over to DPtHG though.
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

I pretty much evolve everything I can. Most of the time in game I prefer to have power over design so I can't justify not evolving something. That said I remember having mudkip up to lv30 before and then I had to evolve it to progress.

Other than that I've evolved everything I can in my pokemon games.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I would never evolve my Togetic into togekiss, but part from that I evolve all pokemon.
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Banz

I have never evolved any of my Pikachus.
Old June 9th, 2013, 07:49 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I considered not evolving my Vigoroth into Slaking in Emerald because of the latter's Truant ability, but I eventually gave in and evolved it because I needed the extra power. There are times when I hold back evolution on purpose so that the Pokémon gets certain moves at an earlier level, like Bagon and Dragon Claw.

Old June 9th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Dewott is the only Pokemon I never evolve. No issues with Samurott! It's my 8th favorite, but Dewott is my #1 favorite [Pokemon] of all time. So by level 37 or 38 I give it the everstone (I get tired of pressing the B button to cancel the evolution)....

its the design and cuteness, and the fact that its my #1 favorite that prevents me from evolving it anymore - its the excuse I can think of for not evolving Dewott.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenge -
Random Challenge - Badges: 4/8 - game: X - Location: Coumarine City
50/50 Challenge - Badges 1/8 - Game Y - Location: Route 4
Old June 9th, 2013, 10:22 AM
LusoTrainer

Ivysaur, Oddish, Poliwag, Doduo, Bayleef, Quilava and Wooper are the ones I usually don't evolve.

P.S: I only play with Pokémon that belong to the first two generations.
Old June 9th, 2013, 11:40 AM
™87

Same with Banz. I never evolved Pikachu, especially when Pikachu could get the Light Ball. It's definitely a little mouse you don't want to mess with then.
Old June 9th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

There might be Pokemon that I hold back from evolving in order to learn a certain move earlier or something, but other than that, I almost always evolve my Pokemon if I have the opportunity. The rare occassion where I didn't was when I used Kadabra in both Yellow and FireRed. It wasn't that I didn't have anyone to trade with, but I just couldn't be bothered to do it, and it still held its own pretty well.
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Yep, I never evolve Pikachu either. Light Ball + Volt Tackle or Thunder = Carnage.

I also used to not evolve Scyther, because its speed stat was able to be higher than Scizor's.
Old June 10th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Crystal Noel
RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter

Nature: Docile
It really is not worth it evolving Pickachu. As Darkrai said the Light Ball makes it much stronger than Raichu.

Old June 11th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Sargas006
Unhatched Egg

I never evolved Rhydon, because I didn't have anyone to trade with
Old June 12th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
I don't get the Light Ball Pikachu people. One hit and that thing is a goner, even if it is powerful offensively.

I wish it was viable to keep certain Pokemon unevolved. I love Flaaffy way more than it's evolution, but even with Eviolite It doesn't compare. I generally use Pokemon with designs I like, but knowing that I'm using an unevolved Pokemon that would be way more powerful if evolved... It doesn't feel right. I don't do ti.

I don't get the Light Ball Pikachu people. One hit and that thing is a goner, even if it is powerful offensively.

I wish it was viable to keep certain Pokemon unevolved. I love Flaaffy way more than it's evolution, but even with Eviolite It doesn't compare. I generally use Pokemon with designs I like, but knowing that I'm using an unevolved Pokemon that would be way more powerful if evolved... It doesn't feel right. I don't do ti.

Last edited by Miss Anne Thrope; June 12th, 2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:09 AM
SetheKing
Budding Supervillain

Nature: Calm
Vigoroth. I don't like the Truant Ability, so I always just leave him as a Vigoroth, I can't think of any others I keep from evolving, though. I usually prefer the added boost that evolution gives to the Pokemon, though I do prevent some Pokemon from evolving so they can learn better moves.
Old June 12th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

I like Misdreavus. I often use it as a starter, and never evolve it
Old June 12th, 2013, 08:02 PM
lmcde22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetheKing View Post
Vigoroth. I don't like the Truant Ability, so I always just leave him as a Vigorot.
This is my sentiment exactly. Dumb Truant ability. Worst thing in existence.
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:21 PM
patar4097

I normally don't evolve my Pikachu, like others said. The Light Ball makes him better offensively, and I like how he looks compares to Raichu. And I don't always evolve Scyther either. He's still really good as his type without steel. Besides that, I'll take the fully evolved form.

Last edited by patar4097; June 12th, 2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Sorry if my text came out big. Don't know what hapened, or if it hapened.
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
The only Pokémon I'm reluctant to evolve is Glameow, but I evolve pretty much everything as early as I can. I'm all for evolution.

I've seen a guy use Duosion with Eviolite but the gain in defenses is not very big compared to Reuniclus.

Pikachu dies to Tackle. I've always been a fan of Raichu. However, after the 3rd gen introduced EVs (which sort of reduced overall defense of offensive Pokémon) you might as well use Pikachu, they both die quickly, although Raichu is faster.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

I don't evolve my Scythers, because I'm like "What's the point?" Yeah, those weaknesses suck, but I can work around them with a 105 base speed stat.

Oh, and errr......Porygon, because I prefer that vintage look, hah. Not like I'm gonna use it in competitive battle, anyway.
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Just remembered another one.... Mienfoo! many times I have issues whether to evolve it or not - I did evolve my only shiny though. Its that 'meditating' pose it makes that I really love - it almost looks as if its praying. Its the red/blue 'fur' that keeps from making the decision of evolution or not.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenge -
Random Challenge - Badges: 4/8 - game: X - Location: Coumarine City
50/50 Challenge - Badges 1/8 - Game Y - Location: Route 4
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
I normally evolve everything, though I'm not a fan of evolving Nidorina and Nidorino. I really like them and I either don't evolve them at all or just wait a really long time. But I have them both on my Blue team I believe...no plans to evolve either of them. I also dislike evolving Quilava because it's one of my favorites and its design is really nice and I can scoop it up and hug it and I can't scoop up a Typhlosion u kno.

Also want to note I got really upset when my Torchic in Sapphire evolved...lol. I love that line though, but at the time the gen was new and I wasn't used to all the Pokemon yet and I loved my Torchic so I was like ".........what no......YOU CAN'T.......TORCHIC NO WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE THIS WAY"
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here