Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old June 11th, 2013 (08:19 AM). Edited June 11th, 2013 by Mithel_Celestia.
Alluring Illusion
Team Kanto

Nature: Modest
Some might be a bit confused by the strength it has over dragon, even frustrated, I know I am, but in a battle field where dragons dominate, itself being its only true counter, little who can learn ice and dragon moves and are weak in stats if they do, Dragon is seen currently as similar to Psychic before it. Even though they have added Steel as a way to tank it, most dragons, obviously, can carry fire type moves so Steel is not enough, adding to the fact that most Steel is slow and specially weak. Fairy was their only way to nerf Dragon down a bit.
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old June 11th, 2013 (08:23 AM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Team Johto
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Now let's hope that Fairy does become the next Psychic and Dragon type...
I wonder if these four are all of the one's with the new type...hope there's more like Clefairy, and maybe even Pikachu...wonder how the anime will explain that one xD (Ash: Pikachu can learn Fairy moves...what's Fairy?)
Old June 11th, 2013 (08:37 AM).
Pawniard

I really can't take this seriously because fairies kill dragons and now I'm thinking of Pokémon being some magical story world full of dragons and princes and wonderland creatures and ogres. Aka, Shrek: The Game.

Seriously though, I don't feel like having Fairy as a type makes very much sense. The others so far are okay; all based off real, general things with plenty of space for imagination (minus Dragon - but Dragon is badass anyway. Although honestly I always felt there to be a big lack of variation between Dragon types as it was) but this just feels so... restricting to me. What even qualifies as a fairy? When I think "fairy" I think something like Tinkerbell; a human form with wings and a magic wand. Either that or Navi from the LoZ games; in any case, something bright and flying with sparkles and fairy dust and other stuff like that. I really don't get why they felt they needed to bring a new type in, and honestly given some of the confirmed Fairy Pokémon (Gardevoir, Sylveon, Marill?) it feels like they're just chucking the type at... well, anything they can. I don't see what exactly makes these guys 'fairies' - mainly given that they're trying to build a type here off something which doesn't actually exist. I had the same issue with Dragons; they were cool but the actual typing made zero sense due to the lack of dragons in the real world. I never understood the logic behind dragons being weak to... well... dragons.

And regarding dragons - I'm glad that I'm not the only person who feels that the whole point of this type is to check Dragon-types. Which, honestly, wasn't worth a whole new type imo (and especially not when the fairy being strong against dragon thing makes no sense in the first place). They could've just introduced some better Ice-types, some sort of anti-Dragon items or moves or etc, but nahhh. They had to go screw everything up by throwing a whole new type which, as I keep saying, is in itself not possible to categorise due to it not existing in the first place.

...tl;dr I don't like it. I feel it's a really messy type due to the fact that it's impossible to say, with any solid reasoning, what a fairy is or what its advantages and disadvantages are and they could have done the same job by being more inventive in other areas.
Old June 11th, 2013 (08:56 AM).
Team Unova
Silver Tier

I'm surprised that people don't like the name. I like the name fine. It makes more sense than "Magic," "Lunar," or whatever else since those are already very Psychic-type and this new Fairy type seems to have a good representation from the Normal-types. If you read fairy tales and mythology and folklore and that stuff you know that fairies are quite diverse and can range from the Tinkerbells and leprechauns we know from kids movies to nasty, dirty trolls and evil, otherworldly, child-stealing elves.

I'm kinda glad that since they have decided to add a new type they're going back and revising a few old Pokemon to help balance things out.
Old June 11th, 2013 (08:59 AM).
Pokémon Aureolin
Team Sinnoh
Crystal Tier

Nature: Timid
At first I too saw it as really being feminine etc., but it's kinda grown on me now. Idk why they confirmed Jigglypuff as being Fairy but not Clefairy. xD Perhaps it was too obvious? But yeah, I like it! :D It's just what we needed to spice up this generation.
Old June 11th, 2013 (09:00 AM).
♥ Cammybear ♥
Team Kanto
Crystal TierCS

Nature: Gentle
I think people are just resistant to change, really. Every generation they add new Pokemon with new typings, new moves, new mechanics... Sure, it's a bit late in the series, but I definitely think that a new type is the curve ball competitive battling needed. It might take a bit to get used to, but if you're a good competitive battler you'll work your way around it and use it to your advantage in no time.

That said, calling it "Lunar" would've been cool, but maybe too close to Dark.

FC: 4699-7283-5972; IGN: Irène, Etoile; Trade Shop; Trade Reviews
Old June 11th, 2013 (09:13 AM).
The Breaker
Team Johto

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by Para-Dox:
Sooooooooo disappointed. Fairy is such a effeminate name and should have been called Lunar or Magic type.

Having it be a Dragon type check is stupid and make the game feel very 'kiddy'. 'Oh look, the magical fairies defeat the ferocious dragon.' Eat me GF, somehow you're making worse design decisions than the gen 5 games did.

I'm not against having a dragon type check at all, (Ice doesn't count as 90% of dragon-type pokemon can learn fire type moves) but choosing the fairy type was a laughable decision because it doesn't make sense.
Talk about overreaction. It sounds silly, sure. But you should look into the legend and lore behind fairies. Human kidnappings, sacrifices, magic, illusions, trickery, etc.

Quote:
Their origins are less clear in the folklore, being variously dead, or some form of demon, or a species completely independent of humans or angels. Folklorists have suggested that their actual origin lies in a conquered race living in hiding, or in religious beliefs that lost currency with the advent of Christianity.

Much of the folklore about fairies revolves around protection from their malice, by such means as cold iron (iron is like poison to fairies, and they will not go near it).

Although in modern culture they are often depicted as young, sometimes winged, humanoids of small stature, they originally were depicted quite differently: tall, radiant, angelic beings or short, wizened trolls being two of the commonly mentioned forms.
Old June 11th, 2013 (09:40 AM).
Lametrainer
Team Sinnoh

Nature: Jolly
Why is Marill fairy though? He's a water poke ffs, the only Fairies should be (& their lines):
Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Chansey, Sylveon, Audino ...etc (any pink Pokemon except Mew) but not Marill & Gardevoir, this is ridiculous :/
Old June 11th, 2013 (09:45 AM). Edited June 11th, 2013 by Esper.
Team Unova
Silver Tier

Marill is already in the fairy egg group, and we have an overabundance of Water Pokemon, and its entire evolutionary line is one type, and it has that storybook fairy kind of look and appeal.

Gardevoir, well, it still has a fairy tale kind of design and a certain sense of mystery.
Old June 11th, 2013 (09:51 AM).
Unburden Belly Drum
Team Kanto
Crystal Tier

I'm taking the news better than I thought I would. Now I'm just wondering why the official site says Jigglypuff is Normal/Fairy. I'd have thought it would become pure Fairy, but maybe that's just me.

And Marill, well...I hope Azuril stays Normal, that way it evolves into completely different dual types xD
Old June 11th, 2013 (10:00 AM).
Scald Pokémon
Team Kanto

Nature: Mild
Well, that is unusual, considering that we haven't had a new type introduced since Generation II. Still, it's a wonderful idea. I also wonder if some moves will be reclassified to be the Fairy type, like for example Heal Pulse, Charm, Sweet Kiss, Sing, or Present. Maybe there will be a Hidden Power Fairy as well?
Old June 11th, 2013 (10:02 AM).
Team Unova

I like it. No sure about Marril being a fairy though, what? was hoping the new type would be new pokemon only for the region.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old June 11th, 2013 (10:05 AM). Edited June 11th, 2013 by tente2.
"Outta my way, dammit!"
Team Sinnoh

Nature: Bashful
"Uggh, Pokemon is getting really boring, they never change anything, all the Pokemon games are the same, same storyline, same mechanics, same yadda yadda yadda."
"They added a new type? Gamefreak, how dare you? This is blasphemy! How dare you change anything at all about my beloved franchise!"

And then people wonder why Gamefreak is afraid to change up the formula.

I am personally ecstatic that finally Gamefreak is bothering to change up the status quo for a bit. I'm a huge fan of Pokemon, but I was starting to think things were getting a little stale, you know? It's sort of embarrassing to look at other franchises that actually evolve greatly between games... while Pokemon remains more or less the same. But not this time! ...Hopefully.
I dislike the name "Light", and I love the name "Fairy". Although, I am surprised that in 2013 we still have people sexist enough to hate the type simply because they perceive it as effeminate... really? What part about "Fairy" has anything to do with females at all? I do understand if some people who think they are super macho or something are upset by Fairy's pink color (however shallow that argument may be), but I myself, personally, like pink.

Quote originally posted by Scarf:
I'm surprised that people don't like the name. I like the name fine. It makes more sense than "Magic," "Lunar," or whatever else since those are already very Psychic-type and this new Fairy type seems to have a good representation from the Normal-types. If you read fairy tales and mythology and folklore and that stuff you know that fairies are quite diverse and can range from the Tinkerbells and leprechauns we know from kids movies to nasty, dirty trolls and evil, otherworldly, child-stealing elves.

I'm kinda glad that since they have decided to add a new type they're going back and revising a few old Pokemon to help balance things out.
Quote originally posted by BraveNewWorld:
Talk about overreaction. It sounds silly, sure. But you should look into the legend and lore behind fairies. Human kidnappings, sacrifices, magic, illusions, trickery, etc.
YES YES THANK YOU SO MUCH, BOTH OF YOU.

I am starting to suspect that few people here oppose the Fairy type just because it's new or "unnecessary" or whatever. They only care it's called "Fairy". If it were called "Super Macho Masculine Badass" type, at least 50% of its opposers would be swooing all over it. While I agree Gamefreak may be choosing more feminine Pokemon to portray as Fairies, Tinkerbell really isn't an accurate depiction of real fairy folklore.
Old June 11th, 2013 (10:28 AM).
Spider-Man
Team Unova
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
What's wrong with fairies being effeminate? I'm not sure why that's a criticism and I certainly don't consider it valid. Something being feminine doesn't exclude it from being strong or powerful.

I think it makes sense as a type, and I'm happy to see it. A 'Light' type could arguably crossover into other types, but Fairy stands up on it's own. I feel like Fairy as a type is actually more descriptive, there are Pokémon that could instantly be put into that category. And I'm not talking just the 'pink and girly' kind, but the Pokémon that have mystical/magical type powers that are hard to attribute to any of the existing types.

Overall, yay Fairy!
Old June 11th, 2013 (10:38 AM).
Call me Archie!
Team Kanto

I have no problems with it... but since when is "Fairy" a type of anything? It just sounds really awkward, imo and I think Gamefreak could have come up with something much better. Therein lies peoples' problems with the Fairy type, not the fact that it is "Fairy" but that it could be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. Game Freak has finally decided to step away from their regular formula, and instead of something cool, they just come out with this crap. THAT, I think, is what upsets people.
Old June 11th, 2013 (10:44 AM).
Distinct Phantom
Team Johto

Nature: Docile
i want dark to be strong against fairy
i want these Pokemon to be retyped as fairy: skitty audino meloetta chansey celfariy and lickitung
Old June 11th, 2013 (10:53 AM).
#justiceforbionic 11.11.13
Team Kalos

Quote originally posted by bashau:
i want dark to be strong against fairy
i want these Pokemon to be retyped as fairy: skitty audino meloetta chansey celfariy and lickitung
I think steel might be strong against it
Old June 11th, 2013 (10:56 AM).
Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Team Unova

Nature: Lonely
I saw this coming.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7571797&highlight=fairy#post7571797

Not that I wanted a new type, but now that Wigglytuff is a Dragon-Buster.... ROCK ON!

There is a Dragon Buster Character in the anime, will she get some Fairy-Type Pokemon in October?

EDIT JIRACHI
JIRACHI

THERE IS NO WAY JIRACHI IS A STEEL TYPE! IT IS A FAIRY! THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT JIRACHI THAT IS STEEL TYPE!

Will Jirachi be Re-TYPED!
Old June 11th, 2013 (11:02 AM).
Team Kanto

Long time pokemon fan, I see a lot of people saying fairy type is the end all "Dragon Slayers", but really think about it...statistically dragon types have the highest base stats. If you look at potential fairy type pokemon...they have subpar base stats.

Just bringing one of these new fairy type to counter dragon pokemon in battle would be suicide, most dragon types are dual type and it would be easy to take this new type out.

I just don't see why they decided to add a new weakness for dragon with such a crappy typing. Granted steel pokemon aren't very offensive and there isn't any good poison moves but fairy pokemon's hp and speed base stat is low enough it doesn't matter. Compare Wigglytuff or Azumarill base stat with Salamence. You know Salamence will tear them to shreds.

What I am interested in seeing is a Fairy/Dragon type which will only have 3 weaknesses Ice/Steel/Poison.
Old June 11th, 2013 (11:03 AM).
naughty biscotti
Team Sinnoh
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I guess it's nice to have dragonkillers. But I don't like the name - it's so dainty and delicate, how are you supposed to do wyrmtaming with a name like that?

Once you get passed the Disneyfication of fairy, what makes a fairy pokemon? They can't just be cute and pink, there must be something spiritual about them... like sylphs or undines or something. To me it sounds like a crossover between elemental and Psychic. I'm still not too sure what to make of it yet. Chimecho should be a fairy though.
Old June 11th, 2013 (11:07 AM).
Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Team Unova

Nature: Lonely
Consider the Following:

There is NOTHING Normal about Clefairy. IT LIVES ON THE MOON. Normal type is for Normal Pokemon.

Fairies are bad ass Mother-Jumpers. Have you read Dresden Files. Queen Mab gives Satan a run for his money on the Evil Bad Ass Meter.
Old June 11th, 2013 (11:11 AM).
Lametrainer
Team Sinnoh

I had a hard time before trying to figure out what a Dragon type really is, & it's the same now for Fairy, so it kinda makes sense that they're opposite?
Old June 11th, 2013 (11:13 AM).
Follow the Fireflies
Team Unova
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Razor Leaf:
...tl;dr I don't like it. I feel it's a really messy type due to the fact that it's impossible to say, with any solid reasoning, what a fairy is or what its advantages and disadvantages are and they could have done the same job by being more inventive in other areas.
"Much of the folklore about fairies revolves around protection from their malice. Although in modern culture they are often depicted as young, sometimes winged, humanoids of small stature, they originally were depicted quite differently: tall, radiant, angelic beings or short, wizened trolls being two of the commonly mentioned forms. One common theme found among the Celtic nations describes a race of diminutive people who had been driven into hiding by invading humans. When considered as beings that a person might actually encounter, fairies were noted for their mischief and malice."
Fairies were originally more demonic in nature. Don't let Disney root itself too deep in your mind, man. d:
Oftentimes, creatures like Dwarves and Goblins can also be considered "fairies." They're not all tiny, sparkly, little gay things that you see flying around. One of my favorites from mythology is Lilith. She's often a demonic being, queen of the Fairies and guardian of the seven layers of creation. If you look at Digimon's Lilithmon, you'll notice that she's pretty much painted to look like a female Satan. Hey, Satan could be considered a fairy, too. d:

So many people just have the wrong idea planted in their heads about fairies. Society has morphed them all into little Tinkerbell look-alikes, whereas the original fairies could oftentimes be seen kidnapping, murdering and eating little children. So much more fun, don't you think?

I myself am welcoming of the new type. It might sound a bit odd, but the only issue with that is people who are going to be like "Oh my God, Fairy? Pokemon was gay before, but now you're a total f****t for playing it!" And that's actually what a lot of people here are sounding like right now. >.>;
Old June 11th, 2013 (11:25 AM).
Intermediate Hackker
Team Hoenn

Nature: Relaxed
Not too happy that they couldn't come up with something more clever than "Fairy"-type, but I like the idea of Dragon having to watch out for another type of attack now. And Gardevoir will have STAB good against Dragon omg

Anyways I feel like Snubbull should obviously be a Fariy-type, and maybe Togepi, Stantler and Audino as well. As much as I don't want it to happen though, it may just happen to the Chansey family as well.
Old June 11th, 2013 (11:25 AM).
Team Johto

Nature: Mild
I think I can wrap an idea around why Fairy is super effective to Dragon. In fairy tales, particularly Sleeping Beauty, the fairy empowers the hero to help them slay the dragon. Now, dragons aren't all big and evil like Maleficent but it's a start.

As to the speculation that Poison and Steel are strong against Fairy, I thought about this movie called Ferngully, where the fairy's habitat was being destroyed by machinery (ergo steel and poison). While steel isn't a direct attack on fairies, a fairy can't do much to a wall of metal anyway.

Looking at it from a more lunar and astral point of view, rockets and satellites both land on and populate moons, and the moon is being destroyed by metal asteroids/meteors (ergo Meteor Mash super effective against a hopefully Fairy-type Clefairy). Just an observation.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links