The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Broken_Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
This whole post is coming from a belief that God (or any god) exists or is out there in some form, whereas I'm of the belief that the God we're thinking of simply doesn't exist. You don't have to be religious to pray, correct, but the act of prayer is a religious thing itself.
if you believe he doesn't exists doesn't mean he doesn't! ^^

Old June 9th, 2013, 05:40 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I'm more religious than anyone realizes. I don't tell people about it. I don't discuss religion.
Before I was a teenager, though, I didn't really care. I played along with my family's beliefs, but they didn't mean much to me. Somehow, it took until I began to doubt what I believed, before I actually cared.

Now then.

-Yes
-I don't know
-Yes
-That it's annoying when people constantly tell you to do so. Or pretty much force you to let them pray (out loud) for you. The latter just because it brings back memories I really would like to forget.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗ View Post
-That it's annoying when people constantly tell you to do so. Or pretty much force you to let them pray (out loud) for you. The latter just because it brings back memories I really would like to forget.
True,that's why i believe understanding the religion comes first before believeing...cuz you can't force someone to believe,it's a choice.

Old June 10th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Sammi
I change my usertitle as often as PC changes slogans
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I don't pray anymore because I'm not religious in the slightest.

When I was in high school and college, I used to pray at night about whatever was on my mind. And honestly, there's sometimes when things go wrong in life where I'm tempted to pray everything goes okay. But in my opinion, praying doesn't do anything. So I don't.

I've got nothing against people who do. It's just not for me.
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:17 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
This whole post is coming from a belief that God (or any god) exists or is out there in some form, whereas I'm of the belief that the God we're thinking of simply doesn't exist. You don't have to be religious to pray, correct, but the act of prayer is a religious thing itself.
Exactly! I can put it that way:
-Prayer: You believe in God & want Him to do something for you.
-Wish: You don't believe in God & want something to happen but you're not addressing anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O07_eleven View Post
Like the OP asked though, has anyone believed their prayers have been answered?
Yes my prayers get answered most of the time, because usually if I want something I ask God to help me & make a way & stuff then I go make it happen, that's if I'm not up to mkischief & want something good, if there's nothing I can do about something (like make someone get well) I just pray that it happens.

As for
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:batto:. View Post
your family could be horribly murdered in an incident and your lifetime of praying wouldn't of came into play at all. sorry if it sounds harsh. but its true.
Actually I have to disagree, praying that bad things don't happen DOES prevent them, if you're a good person that won't harm others then God will protect you & your loved ones, if you aren't then God may or may not make bad things happen to you, we can't say that someone died because he didn't pray but sometimes death is a punishment & we both know that...
The true punishment though is in the after-life (as I personally believe) when God will judge all your doings & reward or punish you, but that's JUST my belief.

Last edited by AnonygooseD; June 10th, 2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Miss Fortune
Fortune doesn't favor fools!

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss Fortune
I don't pray, I'm not really a religious person anymore(I was as a kid). Sometimes I will believe and hope for things, but not actually sit down and pray for something to happen.

Old June 12th, 2013, 10:36 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

I used to pray with my parents because they always brought me to church or my dad's gnosis sessions. But as I grew older, I just didn't belive that a higher being could control what happens to me in my life and that everything that happens to me was because of my doing. I just prefer to tell myself that I have complete control of my life and not someone else.
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

Nature: Relaxed
I pray, in an attempt to make myself feel better in times of extraordinary hardship and distress.

I am not religious, at all. And I scoff at the belief that prayer is inherently religious. It seems that many of you are not separating religiousness from spirituality. I am a very spiritual person, and I am open to the possibilities of things that I cannot see existing in this world. So when I pray, I don't pray to a single entity or god, I pray to whatever might be listening that could have the power to help me.

But does that mean that I am a coward, or that I am weak? Ha! Of course not, because I still do everything in my own power to better my life and my situation.
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Brendino

I wouldn't consider myself religious, and have only prayed for two things in my life (both involving medical situations, including once when my good friend of mine went into a coma). I can't say as I was praying to anyone or anything in particular, but it was more so to keep hope that things would work out in the end, and thankfully, both times they did.

That being said, whether or not you're religious, prayer can be effective. I've always felt that it's along the same line as meditation- it's a great tool that can boost your own faith and morale, even if others find it useless. It also gives you time to reflect on what's been happening and what's important to you, and I commend those that take time out of their day to do it, even if I don't myself.
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Aurora
stick it in ze boot

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
I was really desperate for something to come to pass when I was around 11 years old, so I subscribed to the belief in a God and prayed every night that it would happen. After about two months, I realised my efforts were futile, and the failure of this supposedly omnipresent God to answer my call made me slip into an irreparable atheistic belief system.

I haven't prayed at all for the past three years, and I don't think I will. I see no use in praying to a non-existent deity, and I don't feel any better after praying, even if it's to a bleak nothingness. My faith in something is boosted by evidence to support that it will succeed or come to pass, not by prayer or anything like that.

server modblogmy lovely pair <3twitterfighting for social justice • skype me: auroracr9826
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

I am not really religious as I was when I was growing up. I used to pray every night before bed when I was around 12-15.
Old June 14th, 2013, 09:55 AM
MisterCotton

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to MisterCotton
As a Christian, I'm not much of a prayer, as I do not really pray at home or anywhere else. Only at my church do I pray because at least it is the appropriate place and time to do so.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
All of my pre-university education was made up of Catholic schools, so I've been surrounded by prayers for as long as I can remember. I'd do them when everyone else did (in mass, at the end of the day, and at the end of certain classes depending on if the teacher was religious or not), but I never really believed any of it. It was just going through the motions. Outside of school, I'll have facetiously prayed once or twice but... me and the big man up there don't really have much of a relationship, I gotta say! :D
Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:24 PM
Cryptonix

No, I don't pray. Prayer, aside from religious tradition, is wanting something to happen without working for it or simply not allowing nature take its course. I want many things to happen, but most of those things I logically push aside because there's no evidence or support for its occurrence or it's simply improbable and I know my prayer isn't going to increase my chances.

In the eye of science, you're just saying words. Those words don't travel to some entity and allow your desires to come true. The vibrations emitted wither away. There are plenty of people who pray in dire situation, like they're stranded in the woods on the brink of starvation and are praying to be rescued, but nothing happens and they die. There are people whose families are in pain and they're praying for them, but their families die. All of these terrible things can never get answered, so I'm sure whoever's supposed to answer my little and selfish prayers isn't going to if they're not even answering the bigger fish to fry.

Last edited by Cryptonix; June 24th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old June 24th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Altair
Incognito

Nature: Brave
I pray when I wake up and before I go to sleep, I don't pray for anything really, just being thankful for what I have is enough. I pray by reciting verses from the holy book of my religion and continuously memorize more as days go on...

I'm meant to be praying 5 times a day (which is carried out differently), however I lack the knowledge, but I'll be learning soon enough. ^_^
Old June 24th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Im not religious so I don't pray, I understand that it's an important part of some people's lives though and they do believe it helps them and other people, so it's perfectly fine if you believe in a higher power to do so.
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

well,i kept replying people but never replied my own question!!

Yup,i pray ..i'm a Muslim and i pray five times during the day..early morning (dawn) and noon and afternoon before the sunset...and after the sunset then at night...what Christians call prayer we Muslims call it Du'a and yup,i like to pray(Du'a) for my family,my friends and the person i love...and even for strangers who needs it..sometimes for people in general....and surprisingly it works with me because i deeply believe in that ^^

prayer always makes me happy even while i'm worried or sad or annoyed...because i know that the person i'm worried about or me or whoever or whatever i pray for...have someone up there taking a good care of them and protecting them..so yeah,i'm a prayerer ^.^

Old June 25th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Blade_of_darkness
War Machine
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
I pray, but only if the situation is dire or, more likely, if I'm really worried about someone or something.

I don't see myself as a religious person, but rather, a spiritual person.

^ The last thing you see before you die ^
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Axton
hear me roar

I'm a fairly religious person, I'd say. Catholic, if anyone's interested; and yeah I pray fairly regularly. Usually just for other people in bad places, things I want to change in my life, to show thanks for... something, etc. A lot of situations.

I wouldn't really say I expect an answer but it's really nice for me to feel like I'm being heard at the very least. And if I'm really not being heard? I don't see any issue with the comfort I've taken in the belief that I have been. It's also not like I'm gonna rely on someone to solve my problems for me; that'd be kinda dumb and pretty generally unhelpful and honestly I don't think many people who do actually pray believe that doing so will solve their problems despite the huge misconceptions that it seems a lot of people these days hold.

Also, heh. The first time I wrote this post out I had a big-ass semi-rant about a lot of the misconceptions I see non-religious people holding on religious people and how damaging and inaccurate they are, but I didn't wanna turn this into a debate thread. d:
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
honestly I don't think many people who do actually pray believe that doing so will solve their problems despite the huge misconceptions that it seems a lot of people these days hold.

Also, heh. The first time I wrote this post out I had a big-ass semi-rant about a lot of the misconceptions I see non-religious people holding on religious people and how damaging and inaccurate they are, but I didn't wanna turn this into a debate thread. d:
Well true,we don't pray to wait for our problems to solve..we pray to be strong enough to handle our problems,face it and solve it! ...hard times however they're hard but it makes strong person..an expert of life.

strange how people think religion is something to be ashamed of...i've tried life away from god and life with God so i tried both....and i can say pretty much that religion plays a great part in life and believing makes me stronger

Old June 25th, 2013, 07:43 PM
nimbo
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I am not religious and I do not pray. However, if someone I know is religious and they're going through a rough time, I do say "I'll keep you in my thoughts." I think it's a nice alternative and it still shows you care about the person.
Old June 27th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Saryka
Donator Tier 3

I haven't prayed since I was in grade school (I went to a Catholic school) and we were forced to. Religion's never been my thing. Nothing against people who do pray or who are religious, but I'm just not into it myself.
Old June 27th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
My family is very religious but I don't usually pray. I only pray when there's a big test coming up, or if someone I'm close to is sick. Something like that.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

I've become fairly spiritual over the years but praying isn't a huge deal to me. However, I do sometimes find it to be a confidence booster, despite that being a Pantheist, nature is what I generally turn to.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Autumn Reverie
The world bores you when you're cool.

Nature: Modest
Yup. Prayer for me is a way to communicate with God and build a closer relationship with Him. You know, just casually talking with Him as a friend about stuff in my life and so on, as well as when I am in need of strength and assistance, or when I am afraid or just lonely. It helps to know that I am not alone wherever I may be and in whatever I do. I also pray for my family and friends and for people in need, whatever condition they may be in. I do have faith that my prayers will certainly be answered in His own time and I know that they have been heard.

I would also like to quote from AWsquared's post above to say that I support what he has said:

Quote:
While I do believe that prayer helps, I also believe you can't just pray to solve your problems. You also have to take actions on yourself and the help of others if needed and not just relay on a spiritual being for everything. That's what I believe.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links