The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

View Poll Results: Do you think Red is overpowered?
Yes. 18 15.65%
No. 97 84.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:04 PM
PichuRules4ever
The TF2 Pyro

Nature: Jolly
No, not at all. But he is challenging. He should be considering not only is he the original character from R/B/Y/FR/LG, he is the final battle.
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:39 AM
Scotash!

He's challenging, but not unbeatable. Took me a couple times but I got there. I agree that mt silvers pokemon could do with being higher levelled so you can train a bit more.
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:06 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
@OP: It's called "Mt. Silver"

Anyway, the level jump from Blue's level 60 Pidgeot all the way to the 80s of Red's team is just too much. Luckily, I EV trained my Pokémon so that even at their 70s, I still had a somewhat easier time.

Old June 1st, 2013, 07:18 AM
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Nature: Relaxed
I actually haven't gotten to battle Red yet. I'm currently at the entrance of Mount Silver, debating on whether to train a little more around the region before heading on or not. But yeah, that huge jump from Blue's level 60 Pidgeot to Red's level 80+ team sounds quite tough to handle and a little overwhelming, especially if your team's only around level 60. Defeating him can be done, but one would need lots of strategy and a little bit of luck on one's side. Considering that he is the Final Battle though, those high levels are understandable.

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family

Last edited by Synerjee; June 1st, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:22 PM
trotz59
Professor in-training

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to trotz59
Personally I think Red in heart gold was my all time favorite npc battle. He was tough but not impossible. I think kinda the whole point of training throughout the 16 gyms is to get strong enough to beat red

Info
YouTube: NidoGia
Twitter: trotz59
Tumblr: trotz59 (barely use)
Deviantart: ka-ting (very old, barely updated)
Serebii and Bulbagarden forum accounts: trotz59
Old June 2nd, 2013, 02:04 PM
Roychu
Unhatched Egg

No. I love how I need to spend a lot of time training. It prolongs the experience of the game. I know some people hate having to train, but I don't get that. That's one the the key features in Pokemon games. It's not "Get from A to B and collect these badges on the way" it's more like "explore the road, find pokemon, bond with them (yes, as a player. I know we're not really trainers), get the satisfaction in leveling them up and defeating enemies, oh, and on the way, get some badges".
So no, I don't think he's over-powered. He's RED. He's the best trainer in the world, and there's a reason for that.
My Heart Gold FC - 0262 1253 3957

I admin a pokemon-based page on facebook - facebook.com/PkmnUltimateGold

My Welcome Lounge thread - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...53#post7685453
Old June 6th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Not overpowered at all! His Pokemon are all high level but once you know their movesets he's not difficult to defeat (of course, you should have your Pokemon at least at 65 when battling him)
Old June 6th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Seki
You idiot!

Not at all, as a matter of fact, I feel that he deserves all level 100 Pokemon.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old June 6th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Growboyz
Unhatched Egg

No not at all. I think all the Pokemon games are a little too easy, and I think Red should actually be a little stronger!!!
Old June 6th, 2013, 02:05 PM
F13rC Pulse

The first time I faced him, it took a couple tries with the super-effective type damage reducing berries because I was underleveled.
Any playthrough after that it was just too easy, since HG/SS have just a plethora of places to quickly and efficiently level up your Pokemon.

Lvl 40 dittos are just so great when you have your fully evolved Pokemon, then there's the Elite Four when you're all EV'd up.
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Daixtey
The Happiness Spreader

Send a message via Skype™ to Daixtey
Firstly I think Red wasn´t overpowerd beause then you think about it all the things around him like he is on Mt. Silver the place where only the best can go he was the hero of the first gen and you have overcome every other challenge (Gym leaders, Elite four...) He is there to prove your strength in a final test with his pokemon who are lv. 80-88 and you need to use your best pokemon, strategies and also a little bit of luck to beat him but in the end he is a perfect challenge to end a perfect game so he wasn´t at all overpowerd that would mean he was unbeatable but he was not he was challenging and hard and that is just my opinion I know other have different opinions (Also I would have raised the levels a little higher to like to Lv. 83 - 90)
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:20 PM
TreeKangaroo
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nature: Naughty
To be honest, no. Only the snorlax was challenging. The rest was basically a breeze. His pokemon are high levelled, sure, but I feel he needs more type coverage.
Old June 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM
PokemonComposer

I don't think so. He's just powerful, that's the way games should end.
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Seraphimon-sama

To be honest, I always thought he was too weak. I actually managed to beat him with just my Garchomp that I traded over from Platinum. Of course, I did have trouble taking down Snorlax, but only because that thing's Defense was too damn high.
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

Sprite made by DD's Sprite Shop~!

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:30 AM
.Bacon
Unhatched Egg

He wasn't that hard, he was just more challenging then every other champion in other games.

Youtube

Sometimes we make mistakes, our mistakes make things harder for ourselves and others. We must look at each other face-to-face and understand that these mistakes are part of growing.
Old June 24th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Halloween Bomb
Unhatched Egg

He is a challenge but not all that hard to say the least.
Old June 24th, 2013, 01:48 PM
RudeStyle
It's A Hard Life

Nature: Timid
>final boss
>still doesn't evolve Pikachu

Spoiler:

The final boss was too easy, gamefreak should have just made the opponents pokemon all level 100

We can't predict.

White friend code: 1635-8053-6930
Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM
POCKYM0NSTAH
Shoop

It was too easy but it was very exciting because it was like trying to beat something that you have created and that creation was, at the time, the very best like no one ever was. I actually tried making it last as long as possible and put the volume on its highest to state how epic it was. But it was still easy considering i had 3 lvl 90s and 3 lvl 100s
Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:26 PM
Rizardon

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Rizardon
The only challenge I've found from Red was his Snorlax. So I don't think he's overpowered but he is quite challenging.
Old July 12th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Jrobertson

Nature: Lonely
I beat red with level 60 pokemon
Old July 12th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Olli
I wanna see you be brave
Community Supporter

With the right team, the right moves, and a good amount of training, he honestly isn't as hard as people make him out to be. But I think the challenge he provides is justified. People may find him to be unnecessarily hard, but the fact is, the Pokemon series was supposed to end after the second generation, and thus they had to make a worthy final trainer. It wouldn't really make sense for the remakes to make him weaker, especially not with all the new and strong Pokemon introduced since the originals, which might've even made him easier, but iirc, they raised the levels of his Pokemon. And apparently all of his Pokemon are perfect 31 IV's, however I haven't been able to find that anywhere, so that might not be true.

But yeah, he might be overpowered, but I think it's best that way. It may require a whole lot of training, but as the original final boss of the entire series, it makes sense for his difficulty to be a notch above everyone else, and it just makes for a more fun battle. I honestly think it'd be more fun if his team could kinda rotate, so he had several different Pokemon everytime, as it'd fit better in with his character (the slogan is gotta catch 'em all after all :p), so that one wouldn't be able to make a team beforehand with typing coverage, making it more of a skill-based fight :p But then again, that might be a bit too hard.
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM
JoPe
The Ghost Masta!

If you train enought, he's not overpower.

Having a good team also helps a lot
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:07 PM
7highstraight
Lucky 7

Nature: Quirky
The main challenge is just getting near his levels, especially for someone like me who dislikes grinding. Besides his level, his team is pretty average.
Old July 13th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Golden Warrior
Pokemon Professor

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Golden Warrior
I wish I could say yes, but that is sadly impossible.

Right when I could, I went straight to Red and beat him no sweat. I didn't even have to level grind to win... I was pretty sad at this as I expected a much harder battle then what I was given. Red is not only the final trainer, but THE Pokemon Master before you beat him. It saddens me to see that the Pokemon MASTER is so easily beaten.

3DS/Pokemon Y FC: 5300 - 9087 - 1138
I'll be up to battle or trade, I'll also always be up to multibattle. PM me if you add me here, give me a reason that you're adding me, and I'll be sure to add you back!

Friend Safari: Bug Type
Pokemon: Paras, Beautifly, and Pinsir.
Old July 13th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
In Diamond/Pearl, the rival's final team ended up being more powerful than Red in GSC. In HGSS, they bumped Red up, to once again being the strongest NPC to face against. I would have been upset if they didn't let Red reclaim this placing.

In a game which allows you to grind up to lv100, I wish there were more opponents to challenge at levels that isn't just "press A, press A, press A", i.e. grinding.

EDIT: Also, no credits appear after beating Red. Really, the entire Kanto thing is just a sidequest, not required. It makes the path to lv100 more enjoyable than just beating the Elite 4 a thousand times. My team was around lv80 when I beat him, so this just gave me a milestone before hitting lv100.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links