The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:38 PM
AniRain
Goddess of Storms

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
I know that a lot of people were hating on the Pokemon names of Gen 5 - I was to an extent as well but they've kinda grown on me. I feel that Gen 6 is kinda swinging back into the pokemon way with the names - but then again we've only seen, like, maybe 15 pokemon out of god knows how many.... What are your opinions of the names you've seen so far?

Here Comes:
The Storm!

Last edited by Guy; June 13th, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:57 PM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
Liking the designs. And most of the names. Three still needs their English names revealed - skinny black caterpie thing, fire shinx, and conjoined fairy-flower thing.

Some of the names are bad.

Talonflame? lol que?
Yveltal? What is this, Hebrew?
Vivillon - Villian, wut?
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:02 PM
pedrito3_poke
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
Vivillon - Villian, wut?
Vivillon = Vivid + Papillon (butterfly in french)
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
I actually like the name Talonflame. Usually they combine words together, but with Talonflame, it just wouldn't sound right.

Tame,Talame, Taloame, see what I mean. They actually do this a lot people just over look it. Also, as far as I am concerned. If it is a pokemon, it is a pokemon design.
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:11 PM
The_Consumer

I like them all, there's no point in complaining really.
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:54 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
Clauncher = Claw + Launcher - Pistol Shrimp actually move their claws so fast, it makes a shock wave. Mantis Shrimp can "launch" their claws with the force of a .22 caliber bullet. I think that would be Clauncher's evolution.

Really Awesome choice for a pokemon. A real life animal I can't believe even exists in nature. I wonder what Moves Clauncher will have.

I Can't choose Frokie cuz Clauncher is a must have water pokemon. (I love all the starters though)
Old June 13th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Gen V had some really long, complex names for a lot of the Pokémon and up to now I still can't remember all of them. So I'm glad to see this generation going back to the simpler names of Pokémon and not continue making names that are too tedious to remember.

Oh, and I'm totally cool with this thread discussing the names of the new Pokémon, but let's just keep it to the names as we already have various other threads to discuss the new Pokémon and their designs.
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:13 PM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

So far I'm pleased, with some exception. Some are simpler than Gen V complex name, which is fine considering how Gen III, and generation before it have simpler but catchy names too. The only one problem is Talonflame. It is the lamest name I've ever heard in the series. It just like.....Vanilluxe named instead as Vanillaice. This name alone tarnish what they have done with Braviary and Volcarona. I hope I wouldn't see the rest like Talonflame, and more the like Clauncher and Vivilon.

Pokemon is a Japanese RPG Made By a Japanese Developer With Japanese Audience in Mind I tell You
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:22 PM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrito3_poke View Post
Vivillon = Vivid + Papillon (butterfly in french)
I was more talking about the pronunciation of it. I didn't know that though. Interesting.
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:58 PM
pedrito3_poke
Banana

Quote:
I was more talking about the pronunciation of it. I didn't know that though. Interesting.
http://translate.google.com/#fr/en/vivillon
Just click the in each side and you can hear two ways of pronouncing it. I'm going to pronounce it with a french accent and that's actually how I think it's meant to be pronounced.
Old June 13th, 2013, 06:04 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
Gen V had some really long, complex names for a lot of the Pokémon and up to now I still can't remember all of them. So I'm glad to see this generation going back to the simpler names of Pokémon and not continue making names that are too tedious to remember.

Oh, and I'm totally cool with this thread discussing the names of the new Pokémon, but let's just keep it to the names as we already have various other threads to discuss the new Pokémon and their designs.
Same here, I only remember like half of them, both because they were so many and the rather complex names compared to say Absol, and Shinx.

Anyways the names of gen 6 are easier to remember...and spell: Gogoat, Talonflame, Helioptile, Vivillion, ect

Last edited by OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire; June 13th, 2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:43 PM
awolfsquared
I like to do 'Garfield Mondays'
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
Quote:

Talonflame? lol que?
Yveltal? What is this, Hebrew?
Vivillon - Villian, wut?
Imo, Talonflame is far from the worse name/ portmanteau we've had. I wouldn't call Ninetails, Sandshrew, Mr.Mime, Seel, or Voltorb very creative either. Especially Seel. All they did was changed one E in "Seal" to an A.

I like the name Yveltal alot myself. Yvel is a Middle English spelling for "evil" and 'quetzal" a colored bird, found commonly in Mexico. So "Evil Bird" basically. Maybe it's name hints it's type. Dark types are associated with being evil and nasty so I think cause of it's name it's most likely a Dark/Flying type.

The names for Gen VI Pokemon are much easier to say and remember than the Gen V ones. I think they're unique and it's finally good to have simple names again.

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."- Andy Dwyer
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Hating on Gen V names?
The all seem to follow the same formula to me..
Charizard: Char + Lizard
Emboar: Ember + Boar

So I don't understand.
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:53 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Talonflame's Japanese name is listed as Flarrow on Serebii. That looks more like a pokemon name. Maybe Talonflame was a developed placeholder like "Skull Kraken" was for Gyrados.
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Hoenn
» Just a cat and mouse game
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
A couple of the names could've been better but in terms of the others, design and name wise I think they're great. I like Vivillon, Fennekin, Clauncher etc.

Old June 14th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Bluerang1
pin pin

Talonflame. I can't. I mean it sounds a but good, but the way it's spelled. It's just two words.

I don't like how the names are becoming more obvious. I'm needing the Name Origin section of Bulbapedia less and less now. It's not fun.
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Well we have confirmation about the other names of the new Pokémon.

Kofukimushi will be known as Scatterbug.
Kofuurai will be Spewpa which we already knew.
Shishiko will be known as Litleo, Little Leo.
Lastly, Furabebe will be called Flabébé.

Again, all pretty simple and easy to remember. My favorite has to be Flabébé though. That's so cute!
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:16 AM
pedrito3_poke
Banana

Haha! I like the sarcasm in the last one...
Anyway we all know that there are lots of genwunners out there, but those are not actual Pokémon fans so why should anyone even care?
Not to mention that disliking a Pokémon just because of its name is pretty stupid.
I don't really like names like Talonflame and Litleo, but whatever...
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:03 PM
waveguidebuizel
no ordinary buizel

Nature: Timid
I think the names are pretty good (well, for the most part). My favorite names are probably Chespin, Fennekin, Helioptile, Vivillon, and Clauncher. Flabébé was also a pleasant surprise, because they actually use the accented "e". Maybe nicknames will allow such characters now (as opposed to in B2/W2 where I wanted to use an accented "e" but couldn't find it).

Talonflame is the name I like least; it's two complete, unaltered words sitting next to each other. I do like the "talon" base, though. Maybe it could've been changed slightly, like Taloflame, Taloflare, or Taloflair.

Litleo doesn't really flow well, but I like how the name can be interpreted in two ways at the same time. "Lit" can mean little or lit (as a lit flame/candle).

while keeping perfect time
you’ll bag up these hearts of mine
with your rhythmic shaking motion
let’s mix up more of our love potion

Water Safari: Octillery, Gyarados, Poliwhirl
Searching for Minccino, Gastrodon, Liepard, and Braixen safaris
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:06 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusLinkz View Post
Not just their names, but their designs too:
Spoiler:

I need to post a counter comic to cheer me up after that other comic make me sad. Sorry for being a little off topic.

Spoiler:

This comic is much more optimistic about pokemon.

Last edited by SnowpointQuincy; June 14th, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:22 PM
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
Like most people I'm not really gone on the Talonflame thing, it just ruins the Awesome design! But for what I don't like there's nicknames so I'm not really too fussed... Heck, I can already see myself calling Litleo Squall or Leon!

Love love LOVE Vivillon, even though I'm going to pronounce it wrong all the time out of choice!

Helioptile, I'm not really a fan of either. I don't know why, it just really bothers me. Either way I don't think he'll be on my team so it shouldn't have to worry too much about it!

With reference to the GenV names, sure Nintendo/GF dubbers had a few Brainfarts creating the names, but imho there's still a pretty awesome few names there. Haxorus, Heidreigon, Braviary, Unfeazant, and Samurott to name some.

Deceased:

Old June 14th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Esper

They're pretty good with a few exceptions. Litleo is a little clunky. Doesn't flow at all. Talonflame just reeks of a kind of laziness we haven't seen since Gen I. I mean, I know it might seem a little redundant to name it Flarrow, or Fiarrow, or something when we already have Spearow, Fearow, and Swellow, but I think that would have made it more charming and Pokemon-esque, kind of like how we got Woobat after Zubat.

Spewpa is a darling name and so is Vivillon. More names like this, please.

deviantart blog pair
Old June 14th, 2013, 09:23 PM
MarinoKadame

Spewpa simply mean Pupa which is some kind of cocoon.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old June 14th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Munchlax11
Munch?

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrito3_poke View Post
http://translate.google.com/#fr/en/vivillon
Just click the in each side and you can hear two ways of pronouncing it. I'm going to pronounce it with a french accent and that's actually how I think it's meant to be pronounced.
This is pretty interesting. If all the names are supposed to be pronounced with a French accent, it drastically changes the way names are pronounced.
(For example Helioptile sounds A LOT different than I originally pronounced it)

|Ever Grande City Forums|My Profile|PM|Pokemoon Chatbox

Pokemon X
3DS FC: 2852-7439-1811
(VM if you add)
Old June 14th, 2013, 10:32 PM
MIAU
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveguidebuizel View Post
Litleo doesn't really flow well, but I like how the name can be interpreted in two ways at the same time. "Lit" can mean little or lit (as a lit flame/candle).
I already Litleo's name, but this makes it so much better! Now that I've realized that, I think I'll pronounce it lit-leo rather than little-o.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchlax11 View Post
This is pretty interesting. If all the names are supposed to be pronounced with a French accent, it drastically changes the way names are pronounced.
(For example Helioptile sounds A LOT different than I originally pronounced it)
That's an interesting thought. There are the obvious English names (Talonflame, Scatterbug etc) and there are the obvious names based on French words that are supposed to be pronounced in French (Vivillion, Flabébé). For others, I guess we'll wait and see, or just pronounce it however we want it. I'm sure I already do not pronounce some names the way they're supposed too, especially since I'm not a native English speaker.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here