• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen What Do You Think Is The Best Hoenn Starter?

Daixtey

The Sin of Joy
Years
I picked always Treecko he is good in the begining for the first 3 gyms and has a good speed and sp. att. so he also can be used if you want to battle fast like I do also I like the design of Gravoyle he looks just so cool. So there are probably more reasons why he is my favourite starter in Hoenn but I think this is enough for Today.

Years
Mudkip. Has the highest Attack and defense if that's correct or Highest HP or something. Picked him always after the last playthrough while using him. He's best starter long-term.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2013
For playing Sapphire I always used Treecko, as in Sapphire you encounter a tons of water pokemons. The only problem is with flying pokemons, which are also quite popular :)
That's why I always got Raichu in my Team.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Right up until Gen V you can't really dispute Swampert competitively. And he's got advantages against 3 of the first 4 gyms in-game too. But Blazikens' pretty awesome (And Torchic's cute), Sceptile's got a bit of power too (although I've only used it with rubbish movesets in Battle Factory).
So although I use Mudkip most (including my last play), and have only used Torchic once since I first got Emerald, they're about even. Torchic's probably my favourite because despite Swampert being an absolute beast in Battle Frontier (took on two of Anabel's pokémon, for example), Blaziken has a cooler design and his signature move, Blaze Kick, is awesome. Plus in Gen V he get super-awesome thanks to his hidden ability Speed Boost (although I realise this is in the Gen III forum).

...why no poll on this thread?

Years
The Hoenn starters have always been my favorite threesome compared to the rest, and in my eyes are some of the best starters we've ever gotten. While I've used all three a fair amount, Treecko will always be my favorite, as it was the first one that I chose when I got Sapphire. And with the main antagonists of this game being Team Aqua, and the abundance of Water type Pokemon in this game compared to the others, Treecko (and later Sceptile) was the key component of my team. While Swampert and Blaziken are good, too, I found I couldn't rely on them quite as much as I did Sceptile.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2013
I personally chose Mudkip (for the high demand on global trade on my ds games; I normally breed and transfer eggs), although I've decided to have an unconventional playthrough; my "main" pokemon is my Zigzagoon.

Years
Mudkip of course, cos he gains a Ground-type when he evolves meaning he is really good at countering Wattson easily. I also had the best time playing when I picked Mudkip, since his evos have only one weakness and decent defensive stats.

Years
Mudkip. It has nice bulk and a good move pool. It can easily sweep a number of early gym leaders. Treeko is probably the worst IMO, being only grass and sub-par stats. Torchic is tough to start with but once it evolves, it is a powerhouse

Years
  • Age 24
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 21, 2017
I always pick Mudkip when I play R/S/E, except for my first playthrough of Sapphire. I picked a Torchic and raised a Blaziken to level 100! It was the only Pokemon I used, except for HM slaves. So Mudkip would be the best, but Torchic is my favorite :)

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
If I remember correctly, Swampert has the highest stat total of all starters. That's the only reason why I picked it- otherwise I would've gone with Treecko, considering I generally prefer it.

Years
ruby was the first video game i ever owned, and my friends told me to pick a torchic because it evolves into blaziken. not the hugest fan of torchic because it seems just designed to appeal to little girls obsesed with fluffy toys (not that all girls are, i just get the feeling that was the target audience with the design). but its other forms are great. i quickly drew to love treecko on other playthroughs, and i love all its forms. i like mudkip the least, but i still love it. i love playing through with all three starters. the only trio that i just love completely and unconditionally, even if the physical/special split made sceptile's leaf blade redundant

Koopa_T

Zygarde Infinite
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 24, 2023
I never go for the best. However, I often choose Mudkip, to take along with me throughout my adventures. A perfect match would be a Modest nature so spc. atk. rises. Considering grass(using ice attacks), fire, electric, rock, etc... types are no match. :)
Treecko and Torchic are also unique starters. I give them as much effort as I train any other Pokemon. I'm not too picky in this decision, but I vote for Mudkip, spoiled my answer. xD

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2013
For me, it's a tie between mudkip and torchic. Blaziken is just awesome, but so is swampert.

Years
I picked Mudkip in Emerald and Torchic in Ruby. I can't seem to get past Liza and Tate in Emerald with Blaziken, so I just use Swampert to make things easier.

However the first starter I ever picked was Treecko, but then I was traumatized from my experience with Flannery's Torkoal. :(

Emerald_Fire

(Insert Espurr meme here)
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2014
Mudkip. Mudkips all around.
Although, Red Chocobo's LP of Emerald displayed the strength of Torchic, so I'm using it during Emerald. The one thing I'm doing the same as Red is training a Marill to defeat Flannery.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Tho the Hoenn starters isn't really my favorite starters i would go for Torchic. :P

Back