The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Chit Chat Café

Notices

Chit Chat Café Wondering what your fellow members are eating for breakfast? Want to chat about the weather or other silly things? Idle chit-chat and polls go here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:30 AM
curiousnathan
I will find you

Nature: Quiet
Religious ties aside, what's the one quote you've heard and you haven't forgotten? Has it shaped the person you are today and want to be in the future? What does it mean to you?

moderator |
lovely pair | PC live
I'm away for a few days; see you soon!
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:35 AM
Aslan
B.A.M.F

Nature: Relaxed
I've lived by quite a few quotes, but it's these two in particular.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

I've lived with that quote through my whole life and it's done me a ton of good. Don't judge a person by their race, if they have a disability or not, clothes don't make a person. It's what is on the inside that should be of importance to you. I've learnt to not judge people just by their looks and because of that, I've made some really good friends over the years and it's made life much easier.

Nothing is impossible.

I've always used this one to motivate myself. When I think something is too difficult and almost give up trying. Nothing is impossible, if you set your mind to it. I've always remembered this quote- it's wonderfully simple but has a huge meaning to it.
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:19 AM
Aurora
<insert pun here>

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
You reap what you sow.

This statement is one of the truest phrases ever recorded: you reap what you sow. If you sow the seeds to a bad reputation, likewise you will reap the fruit of a poor reputation - if you make an action, you'll receive the consequences of doing so. I always keep this in mind when carrying something out; if I didn't I'd probably be far more impulsive than I am.

Ignorance is bliss.

Ignoring something that you probably shouldn't be involved is one of the most satisfying experiences: you can watch from the sidelines. If there's a large amount of drama going on and you ignore it and just watch it unfold, you'll have a blissful experience. A while ago, I used to attempt to stick my nose into everything. After discovering this delight of a quote, however, it's occurred to me that ignoring something unimportant to you can be really enjoyable!

server modblogmy lovely pair <3twitter • skype me: auroracr9826

Last edited by Aurora; June 15th, 2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: adding more
Old June 15th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

"A man must have a code"

And thus, I am Lawful Neutral. Lawful Good when I'm feeling generous.....
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Passenger
MP4/4

Nature: Calm
My quote is in the signature. This quote comes from my idol Ayrton Senna. I can never know when I can lose something/someone or die, because it can happen in a split of second.
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:42 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

I'm very big on peoples right to their opinion, and on equality, and whilst I admit I sometimes stray from the example of this quote accidentally I try to live by that example.
Old June 15th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
forget where it is from but "You have got to be cruel to be kind"

I believe this helps in the long run as it will help my daughter when she is an adult.
Old June 15th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Hope leads to disappointment.
Old June 15th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

While it's not so much a quote as it is a saying, I've always lived by "Treat others the way you want to be treated." If you're going to act like a jerk to someone, don't expect them to bend over backwards to be nice to you. But if you try and stay in a somewhat positive mood, it usually gets others around you feeling the same way, which is a lot better than everyone being angry or generally unhappy.

Old June 15th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Creame
Dreams take you higher ♥

Nature: Jolly
I live by quite some quotes, but one I've been thinking of a lot would have to be
Life's one big party but you must put the garlands up yourself..

Eeveelutions ♥
Old June 15th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Virgilin
Salmon Fishing in Vulcan

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Virgilin
Starting is finishing. -Unknown
It has helped me get important stuff done throughout my life. It makes me avoid procasination. Hehe

| Paired to warship | PM | VM | About |
Old June 15th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Dakota
she's singing to me

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
"There's more to living than being alive"

Cause it's true, isn't it? You could sit around and do nothing, and live. But that's not living life, not at all.
Old June 15th, 2013, 01:48 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
Tyrunt
Community Supporter Tier 2

I previously was browsing this thread with no intention to reply, because I don't have an answer.

Then it occurred to me that I kind of do.
I now will just direct you to the quote in my signature. What's the fun in life, if you don't take any risks? {:

Pokemon Y Pokedex entry
My Trade Review Thread
Just a Trade Sh⊗p
Paired to Amaura
Old June 15th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Insomniac
It's so overt it's covert 卐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora. View Post
You reap what you sow.

This statement is one of the truest phrases ever recorded: you reap what you sow. If you sow the seeds to a bad reputation, likewise you will reap the fruit of a poor reputation - if you make an action, you'll receive the consequences of doing so. I always keep this in mind when carrying something out; if I didn't I'd probably be far more impulsive than I am.

Ignorance is bliss.

Ignoring something that you probably shouldn't be involved is one of the most satisfying experiences: you can watch from the sidelines. If there's a large amount of drama going on and you ignore it and just watch it unfold, you'll have a blissful experience. A while ago, I used to attempt to stick my nose into everything. After discovering this delight of a quote, however, it's occurred to me that ignoring something unimportant to you can be really enjoyable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakow View Post
Hope leads to disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendino View Post
While it's not so much a quote as it is a saying, I've always lived by "Treat others the way you want to be treated." If you're going to act like a jerk to someone, don't expect them to bend over backwards to be nice to you. But if you try and stay in a somewhat positive mood, it usually gets others around you feeling the same way, which is a lot better than everyone being angry or generally unhappy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creame View Post
I live by quite some quotes, but one I've been thinking of a lot would have to be
Life's one big party but you must put the garlands up yourself..
I agree with all of these. While I may not live life by them I do agree with them to an extent.

I also believe "Don't be an ass" is an appropriate quote.
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:22 PM
AirSabin Bubblun
Inactive/personal problems

“A day without laughter is a day wasted.” - Nicholas Chamfort

I think that you've gotta have a good chuckle, because it makes you feel a lot better than if you didn't. The quote is definately true; you waste a day if you don't laugh at something.

Looking for a scripter desperately for Pokemon Dark Nebula. If you
would like to help, drop me a PM or VM.
It's a Romhack btw.
~Twitter~ ~Youtube RH~ ~Youtube Music~
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:52 PM
PhantomX0990
Uh, I didn't do it...

Nature: Brave
Some winners.

"Fake it 'til you make it."

"When in doubt, get the hell out."

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
-The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

"Swooping is bad."

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."

Crystal Supporter PhantomX0990

"It appears whenever there is world
conflict
Fanfiction
burning
The Crossroads: PC'S Supernatural Club
down any place it
travels
Push Start To Begin (My Blog)
through."

Gyrados

Old June 15th, 2013, 03:57 PM
ProfGrove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Nothing is impossible.

I've always used this one to motivate myself. When I think something is too difficult and almost give up trying. Nothing is impossible, if you set your mind to it. I've always remembered this quote- it's wonderfully simple but has a huge meaning to it.
I have always disliked that quote.

*tilts head with glasses over nose*
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:55 PM
dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
alors on danse
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Impish
you know what, I don't care what you do as long I'm not involved.

Leave everybody's business to themselves, is what I'm trying to say.

could you ····ing not
·
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Tetrakeet
Lilligant's Caretaker

Nature: Careful
"Choose your friends wisely." A good friend (potentially) can make your life wonderful. A bad friend can (potentially) make your life terrible.

Old June 15th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Jak
where the fairy flies

Nature: Timid
I don't have a specific thing to quote here, but my dad always told me never to judge people because they're different. I think that's important. I wish other people his age and older knew that, since it's usually older people that are guilty of doing so. I think that's very important to teach at a young age, and I don't think that it sticks with a lot of kids as well as it stuck with me.

I actually just told my mom off for saying something about some girl with tattoos on her legs today. I told her that it was her leg and she can tattoo it or chop it off if she wants. It's her leg. It shouldn't bother you.
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
"A physicist is just an atom attempting to understand itself"
"The program of the universe? To understand the program of the universe"

Any paradoxical quote relating to metaphysics and looping purposes.

Somebody posted a meme on a website I saw it depicted Scumbag Brain with text "Can't understand brain - Is brain"
And it is my favourite small scale representation of what I'm talking about. If I find it i'll post it here.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:49 AM
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
My parents, them being religious (liberally -- we stopped going to church when I was about nine years old), taught me two rules to live by:
  1. Treat others how you want to be treated.
  2. Don't judge a book by its cover.
My mother's a hypocrite and my father missed quite a lot of his kids' lives, but these lessons were ingrained in me nonetheless, and I appreciate the fact that I was able to learn them in a variety of environments where they could be put to the test.

I came across the concept of karma some time before I turned ten, too; I felt that it tied in well with the first rule, and it's served me well for the little things. (Now I just need to be able to stand up to my hypocrite of a mother and things'll really start going my way. :3 )

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.

Last edited by TornZero; June 19th, 2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
"Victory through diligence; peace through strength"
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Nature: Careful
Whenever I'm in a rut or feeling down and helpless, I always utter these words in my head:-

So it goes.
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:23 AM
FayAurora
Dark-Type Trainer/Breeder

Nature: Lonely
A few quotes that immediately came to mind were some ones that have helped me with my life, some that I will never forget.

Saying goodbye is one of the most painful ways to solve a problem. But sometimes it’s necessary.
My old pastor from a long time ago taught me this quote when his son, who was like a brother to me, died while serving in the ARMY. He told me this quote, and said I should never be afraid of losing someone I love, because the pain I feel when I lose them shows how true of a love I felt.

Moving on doesn't mean forgetting, it means you choose happiness over hurt.
A friend taught me this one probably a year or so ago. I was having a lot of problems in life all at once, and one of those problems was my biological dad. He wasn't the greatest man alive, nor the best dad, and he didn't try too hard to keep in contact with me, and one day he called and I couldn't answer because I was in school, and he said he was going to stop 'trying' and he cut off all communication with me, and I explained this to my friend, and that quote is what she told me, saying I shouldn't have to fight so hard for something that maybe wasn't met to be.

You are always free to do something that makes you smile.
This one was taught by my mother. When my parents got divorced and my oldest brother went into the NAVY, my mom signed me and her up for ballroom dancing class, and that's where I learned about fencing. I was so fascinated when I first saw it, so my mom signed me up for a class. I enjoyed it so much, but I knew we were kind of on a tight budget, but my mom told me this quote and signed me up for more classes, just wanting me to be happy.
I've been sleeping in my bed,
Sleeping in my bed... ~

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links