The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Kaito123

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by neglectorr View Post
also, on the version 12 downloaded this morning.
when u speak to your mom and grab the pokedex then walk in grass till encounter happens.

if you then open de pokedex it crashes the game with error
Code:
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

Compiler:1502:in `getConstantName'

PokemonUtilities:1049:in `pbPokemonBitmapFile'

PokemonPokedex:1054:in `pbPokedex'

PokemonPokedex:1045:in `loop'

PokemonPokedex:1083:in `pbPokedex'

PokemonPokedex:1044:in `pbActivateWindow'

PokemonPokedex:1044:in `pbPokedex'

PokemonPokedex:1109:in `pbStartScreen'

PokemonPauseMenu:159:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

PokemonPauseMenu:156:in `pbFadeOutIn'
edit: i did not alter anything when testing this.
I have the same problem, and i used an unmodified Essentials V12 ....

I can look the first pokemon, nest etc, but if i want go to the next pokemon, this error appears...
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Nickalooose
--------------------

For those of you with this error
Quote:
Originally Posted by neglectorr View Post
Code:
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError
Compiler:1502:in `getConstantName'
PokemonUtilities:1049:in `pbPokemonBitmapFile'
PokemonPokedex:1054:in `pbPokedex'
PokemonPokedex:1045:in `loop'
PokemonPokedex:1083:in `pbPokedex'
PokemonPokedex:1044:in `pbActivateWindow'
PokemonPokedex:1044:in `pbPokedex'
PokemonPokedex:1109:in `pbStartScreen'
PokemonPauseMenu:159:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonPauseMenu:156:in `pbFadeOutIn'
Until Maruno has found a fix, use this:
Find line 1502 in Compiler, change the whole def getConstantName(mod,value), to this.
Code:
def getConstantName(mod,value)
  for c in mod.constants
    if value == 0
      return false
    else
      return c if mod.const_get(c.to_sym)==value
    end
  end
  raise _INTL("Value {1} not defined by a constant in {2}",value,mod.name)
end
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

I should point out that Nickalooose's "fix" isn't a good idea, because it assumes that nothing can have an ID of 0 (trainer types can, for instance). The actual solution is to put in a couple of missing rescue clauses, which has already been done for the next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derxwna Kapsyla View Post
Bug in the latest version of Unmodded Essentials, Version 12: Setting Encounters.
When attempting to set a new type of encounters on a location, the game crashes and gives you an error report. Report is as follows:

Not sure how to fix, but reporting it now since nobody else seems to have encountered it yet, and I'm not sure why.
I've also fixed this too.
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Nickalooose
--------------------

This is why I said use it until you have fixed it It stops all the same questions coming up (actually I very much doubt that) until the right method is out.

EDIT:

I've found a peculiar problem, when I enter a Trainer battle, run is call... I don't own any Shadow Pokémon neither does my opponent... I know where it's happening.
Code:
shadowTrainer=(hasConst?(PBTypes,:SHADOW) && @battle.opponent)
This code used to be
Code:
shadowTrainer=(hasConst?(PBTypes,:SHADOW) && @opponent)
if I revert it back to the original line, it's fine, why does the new way make "run", "call"?

Last edited by Nickalooose; June 17th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Derxwna Kapsyla
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I've also fixed this too.
So, it'll be fixed in Release 13? If the fix isn't too complicated, could you manage to PM me how to fix it? I use the external editor to set which maps will have encounters, as it provides a uniform style to the text file it stores it to. But if it's too complicated, or you don't want to explain, that's fine . I can make due without it
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
  • Touhoumon Essentials Development Starter Kit for RMXP - Version 1 finished and released.
    The following version is outdated a great deal. Do not bother downloading it. I will have a new, revised version up eventually. If you really want the engine, I can provide you with the current engine Faith & Prayer version uses.
  • Touhoumon: Faith and Prayer Version - Demo 3.1 Released
Old June 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalooose View Post
This is why I said use it until you have fixed it It stops all the same questions coming up (actually I very much doubt that) until the right method is out.

EDIT:

I've found a peculiar problem, when I enter a Trainer battle, run is call... I don't own any Shadow Pokémon neither does my opponent... I know where it's happening.
Code:
shadowTrainer=(hasConst?(PBTypes,:SHADOW) && @battle.opponent)
This code used to be
Code:
shadowTrainer=(hasConst?(PBTypes,:SHADOW) && @opponent)
if I revert it back to the original line, it's fine, why does the new way make "run", "call"?
It doesn't matter if neither of you are using any Shadow Pokémon. What matters is whether the Shadow type is part of your game (or rather, a type whose internal name is SHADOW). I happen to know you do have the Shadow type in your game, which means this doesn't happen in the unmodified Essentials v12 which means it shouldn't be mentioned in this thread.

Run doesn't do anything in trainer battles, so I don't see the problem anyway. Call can at least be used to raise the accuracy of the Pokémon you're selecting an action for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derxwna Kapsyla View Post
So, it'll be fixed in Release 13? If the fix isn't too complicated, could you manage to PM me how to fix it? I use the external editor to set which maps will have encounters, as it provides a uniform style to the text file it stores it to. But if it's too complicated, or you don't want to explain, that's fine . I can make due without it
Find def pbCommands2, and change the parameter which says defaultindex=nil to defaultindex=-1. Then delete the very first line in that def, and find the only line which involves defaultindex and stick >=0 onto the end of it. Do the same with def pbCommands3 while you're at it (it only appears in the Editor's scripts).
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Giu

Nature: Modest
Hi,

There is a bug I'd like to report.

Quote:
Bug: When you are battling a trainer and use a potion (or any other in-battle item) and then you return to the battle scence, everything will be black. You can still battle, but it only returns to normal when the battle is over.
Any idea of what is going on?

Thanks.

Giu
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Kaito123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giu View Post
Hi,

There is a bug I'd like to report.

Any idea of what is going on?

Thanks.

Giu
I had this problem, too.
Until no fix is ​​there, I have copiedv the 'Pokemonbattle_Actuelscene' (or so)
The error is thus provisionally off :D
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:35 PM
neglectorr

Quote:
For those of you with this error

Until Maruno has found a fix, use this:
Find line 1502 in Compiler, change the whole def getConstantName(mod,value), to this.
Code:
  for c in mod.constants
    if value == 0
      return false
    else
    end
  end
end

i did this:
Code:
  for c in mod.constants
    if value == 0 && mod == PBSpecies
      return false
    else
    end
  end
end
edit:
from maruno's comment "because it assumes that nothing can have an ID of 0" i gathered that apparently that is true for pbspecies..

Last edited by neglectorr; June 17th, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old June 18th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Zainiadragon
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Find def pbCommands2, and change the parameter which says defaultindex=nil to defaultindex=-1. Then delete the very first line in that def, and find the only line which involves defaultindex and stick >=0 onto the end of it. Do the same with def pbCommands3 while you're at it (it only appears in the Editor's scripts).
I'm a noob when it comes to Computer Programming. How are you supposed to open the Scripts.rxdata file?
Old June 18th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Giu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zainiadragon View Post
I'm a noob when it comes to Computer Programming. How are you supposed to open the Scripts.rxdata file?
Hi Zainiadragon,

You can open and edit the Scripts.rxdata in the RPG Maker XP itself. All you need to do is to open the script editor (which loads the Scripts.rxdata) in the top, next to the sound test and the playtest. Once there you need to figure out what you want to change and where to find it.
Good luck.

Last edited by Giu; June 18th, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:09 PM
SoulfulLex
Empiricist-at-Large

Nature: Serious
Hello. I'd like to bring up an error I encountered using the External Editor when I was trying to edit the Pokemon of a Trainer:

Code:
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NoMethodError

Message: private method `format' called for BallProperty:Class

PokemonEditor:1931:in `pbPropertyList'

PokemonEditor:1929:in `each'

PokemonEditor:1929:in `pbPropertyList'

PokemonEditor:2661:in `set'

PokemonEditor:1964:in `pbPropertyList'

PokemonEditor:1936:in `loop'

PokemonEditor:1977:in `pbPropertyList'

PokemonEditor:2489:in `set'

PokemonEditor:2584:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

PokemonEditor:2520:in `pbListScreenBlock'

This exception was logged in 

C:\XXX\XXX\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

This occurred even with the 12.1 fix (Downloaded it today. Got the same error.)
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Maruno

Every bug mentioned in this thread since the release of version 12 has been fixed in version 12.1. Go download it.
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

I've been testing this release for the last few days, and there are a few things I've noticed:

• When Confusion confuses the enemy, the "confused" animation is displayed on the Pokémon that used Confusion. Not a very big problem, but it can be pretty confusing (oh, the irony).
  • Rage doesn't raise the user's attack stat when the Pokémon that used Rage is attacked.
  • Twister doesn't work.
Old June 29th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Sign View Post
I've been testing this release for the last few days, and there are a few things I've noticed:

• When Confusion confuses the enemy, the "confused" animation is displayed on the Pokémon that used Confusion. Not a very big problem, but it can be pretty confusing (oh, the irony).
  • Rage doesn't raise the user's attack stat when the Pokémon that used Rage is attacked.
  • Twister doesn't work.
Was meant to mention this one... It worked in v11, deffinitely... Because I owned a Pidgeotto with it, but upgrade made it stop working, even if my Essentials was edited, still was an Essentials problem... There are a couple other things I noticed... Not big things, but a couple changes in the scripts worked for me, I will try hunt them down... Since this site has been going in to "come back later" mode ALOT lately, it's hard to come on and post things, then I forget.
Old June 29th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Sign View Post

• Twister doesn't work.
When exactly should a Pokémon stop raging? At the moment it's at the beginning of a round in which they don't use Rage, but should it be immediately before they use a different move instead? And would using an item stop the raging or not? I can't see why it wouldn't work as it is currently, though.
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

When Rage is used and the user is hit by an attack afterwards in the same round, the user's attack stat should be raised (someone who played my game reported that this didn't work). Using an item or another attack the round after should stop the rage from building, as far as I know.

I've come across a few other thing regarding the moves today:
  • If Smack Down is used to defeat the opposing Pokémon, the enemy's HP drops to zero, but the sprite and the battlebox won't fade out until the next enemy Pokémon is sent out. Not sure if this happens with other moves too, but everytime my Graveler uses Smack Down to defeat the opponent the sprite stays there.
  • If a Pokémon uses Explosion, the HP of the user drops to zero. However, if Explosion is used before the enemy attacks and it doesn't drop the enemy's HP to zero, after which the enemy switches his Pokémon in between turns (That's the "Shift" Battle Style) the enemy Pokémon that will be sent out uses the move the other Pokémon would use after it was hit by the Explosion. For example:

My Graveler (from now on called MGrav) fights the enemy Graveler (from now on called EGrav). I select Magnitude, but EGrav is faster and hits MGrav with Explosion. EGrav doesn't survive, but MGrav still has a decent amount of HP left. Because the enemy fainted, I am asked to switch my Pokémon. I do so and sent in Nidorino. The enemy sents out Scrafty. I am unable to select a move this turn and Nidorino uses Magnitude, which, for the record, isn't in his moveset. I've tried this a second time, and this time my Pidgeotto used Magnitude. Which is a bit weird, to be honest :p
These are pretty specific (Smack Down has to defeat the opponent, Explosion should be used first, shouldn't drop anyone's HP to zero but the user's, and the other Pokémon should be switched out in between turns) so that probably explains why these haven't been found earlier yet.

That aside, I haven't found any other things that should be fixed in the six hours I've played my game based on Essentials v12.1, so keep up the good work :)
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Maruno

Rage: There's a gap between choosing to not use Rage and actually doing the not-Rage thing. The opponent could get an attack in during that time, so it's important to know exactly when the raging should stop. There's also the question of whether the raging should be continuous even if the rager continues to use Rage, or whether the raging just lasts until the end of the round and then starts back up the next time Rage is used (this would affect that "get an attack in" thing, which wouldn't up Attack if it was the latter option even though the rager chose to continue using Rage). On the other hand, if you can give commands to a rager at the start of a round, is it really raging (you can't order an outrager)?

Smack Down: Look in function code 11C. There are two instances of poke in there which should be opponent. Simple fix.

Explosion: A known problem. It wouldn't be an issue if Essentials did the switching-in thing like Gen 5, though (i.e. wait until the end of the round to do it, rather than replace fainted battlers immediately).
Old June 30th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

A question about Explosion then... Is it worth avoiding the use of Explosion for the time being, or is it still not that much of a problem?
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Code:
Pokemon Essentials

PokemonEditor:385:in `pbSaveItems'

PokemonEditor:379:in `each'

PokemonEditor:379:in `pbSaveItems'

PokemonEditor:378:in `open'

PokemonEditor:378:in `pbSaveItems'

PokemonEditor2 #####:64:in `pbItemEditorNew'

PokemonEditor2 #####:168:in `pbItemEditor'

PokemonEditor2 #####:149:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:1151:in `loop'

PokemonEditor:1176:in `pbListScreenBlock'

C:\Users\dell\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK   
This happens, when making a new item, right after it's description/

Code:
Pokemon Essentials

PokemonEditor:385:in `pbSaveItems'

PokemonEditor:379:in `each'

PokemonEditor:379:in `pbSaveItems'

PokemonEditor:378:in `open'

PokemonEditor:378:in `pbSaveItems'

PokemonEditor2 #####:64:in `pbItemEditorNew'

PokemonEditor2 #####:168:in `pbItemEditor'

PokemonEditor2 #####:149:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:1151:in `loop'

PokemonEditor:1176:in `pbListScreenBlock'

C:\Users\dell\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK   
This happens, when making a new item, right after it's description/

The bell chimes again...
November 2014 ~ Chime Version Returns.

Last edited by Varion Bluefire; June 30th, 2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 30th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Maruno

Quote:
A question about Explosion then... Is it worth avoiding the use of Explosion for the time being, or is it still not that much of a problem?
As P-Sign says, it's an uncommon occurrence, and it's not a game-crashing bug either. It's up to you whether you want to ignore it (and Selfdestruct) or not.
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:59 PM
AmethystRain
Crystaline

Nature Power seems to no longer work with v12. It used to, but as of the update in the unmodified version,
X used Nature Power!
Nature Power turned into Y!
Opponent used Z!

Y does no damage; it goes straight to the opponent's turn.
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Giu

If you leave the Safari Zone early the NPC thinks you're entering the Safari Zone again, something in the event is not working properly.
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giu View Post
If you leave the Safari Zone early the NPC thinks you're entering the Safari Zone again, something in the event is not working properly.
Define "leave" and "early". Are you using a Debug option to warp to another map, or choosing "Quit" in the pause menu? Is this the default Safari Zone and events that come with Essentials?
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Giu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Define "leave" and "early". Are you using a Debug option to warp to another map, or choosing "Quit" in the pause menu? Is this the default Safari Zone and events that come with Essentials?
I'm sorry, I'll be more precise. In the default Safari Zone of the essentials 12.1, if you are in a Safari Game and go back to the entrance (by walking in the Exit Event), you will return to the entrance, but instead of asking if you want to leave earlier and return the balls, the event NPC will act like if you were coming from outside the Safari Zone.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here