The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 18th, 2013 (02:33 PM).
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Rhetoric not matching reality is a severe problem in many areas in Texas. On April 17th, 2013 a fertilizer plant exploded in the town of West, Texas. Hours after the devastating explosion, a report from MSNBC showed Texas Governor Rick Perry begging for federal assistance.

It is common knowledge that Perry is anti-government regulation. The plant that exploded was poorly regulated. Perry claims to hate government handouts so much so that he refuses to accept the Medicaid expansion of Obamacare in a state where over 25% of its citizens have no healthcare insurance. Yet, he wants a federal government bailout for the explosion in West Texas.

The Huffington Post reports that FEMA may have wised up.
Quote:
HOUSTON — The Federal Emergency Management Agency is refusing to provide additional money to help rebuild the small Texas town where a deadly fertilizer plant explosion leveled numerous homes and a school, and killed 15 people.

According to a letter obtained by The Associated Press, FEMA said it reviewed the state’s appeal to help but decided that the explosion “is not of the severity and magnitude that warrants a major disaster declaration.”

FEMA already has provided millions of dollars in aid to the town of West and its residents, but the decision prevents them from getting some of the widespread assistance typically available to victims of tornadoes, hurricanes and other natural disasters. ….

But Muska said the rural community of 2,800 people cannot cover the costs of the repairs, and doesn’t believe that the state will provide enough money on its own. He estimated the cost of those repairs at about $57 million, including $40 million to rebuild schools that were destroyed or damaged when the West Fertilizer Co. blew up in April.

“We don’t have the money to go out and borrow the money. We don’t have the means to pay that note back,” Muska said. “There’s got to be some public assistance.”

The letter, dated June 10, is addressed to Texas Gov. Rick Perry and signed by FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate.

Perry noted in a statement that Obama attended a memorial service in April for the victims of the West blast and “stood in front of a grieving community and told them they would not be forgotten.”

“He said his administration would stand with them, ready to help,” Perry said. “We anticipate the president will hold true to his word and help us work with FEMA to ensure much-needed assistance reaches the community of West.”
One must ask a question that few are asking. Why should the federal government and taxpayers be liable for the explosion of a private plant? Should not that plant be liable for rebuilding the damage caused from the company storing that quantity of explosive chemicals in an unsafe manner? This is a classic case of privatization of profits and socialization of losses/expenses. Perry fighting for a government handout for a private company explosion while refusing government subsidies to provide healthcare to the poor in his state is the height of immorality.

Texas Governor Rick Perry is more than a hypocrite. He is dangerous. While he claims to hate regulation, he systematically passes laws/regulations that infringe on women’s rights but refuses regulations to equalize their pay. He refuses government money that would go to the poor and needy even as he provides billions in incentives for business. He has become a conduit to move middle class taxes to the powerful.
I don't see why Perry wants a handout - I thought that he took pride in his state not relying on the Government.

If he wants funds to cover the expenses of poor regulations, perhaps he should go after the company that caused this mess? And perhaps he should undertake actions to prevent accidents like this from happening in the future?

Come play Runescape
Old June 18th, 2013 (05:27 PM).
Jay_Foxx
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay_Foxx
Because, like most politicians, he relies heavily on public opinion, especially when categorically denying that their decisions are based on public opinion polls. Politicians are in a way like turtles, except what gets pulled into their shell isn't their appendages, it's their true nature.

This particular politician is only to ready to stick his hand in the cookie jar when it suits him, and admonishes others for doing the same. It's a typical 'do as I say, not as I do' scenario.

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old June 18th, 2013 (05:39 PM).
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
Maybe he should hold another prayer rally. Oh, wait, I remember now, the last time they prayed for something the exact opposite happened.

"Dear Lord, please give us some rain to ease this horrible drought. Please make these raging wildfires cease."

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/article/2315/12993/
Old June 18th, 2013 (05:51 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Partly because lately Republicans have had a mindset of something isn't reality, isn't true, doesn't work, or isn't good unless it affects them directly or so in some way.

And partly, and less cynically, because for reasons I don't fully understand the state always ends up paying in the end. We had a propane plant explosion here a couple of years ago. The city and state forked up the money for cleanup. Which, I guess makes sense. If your house or building (in a work situation) catches fire out of your stupidity or neglect, the fire department doesn't charge you for putting it out. So, if the government has the equipment and staff, then I guess that's how it goes.

In our case, the government is hoping to sue them for just under the cost of cleanup (why? Why not a greater amount? Why undercut?) and the community that sustained damages is suing for hundreds of millions. But still.. it's all after the fact and tentative and based on the outcome of drawn-out legal battles. That's not how it should be.

And in our cases it was a left-leaning mayor and provincial government in power at the time. So, not really the right trying to bail out corporate asses as you seem to be alluding.
Old June 25th, 2013 (08:29 PM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Hopefully the private company will later repay the government for the cost of the damages... there really should be some level of oversight, too little is going to result in issues as well as too much. imo there needs to be a medium.

Also second quote article sounds awfully bias to me...is this an opinion article? As news organization imo should stick to saying the news as it is, and allow us to make of it what we will of the politicians who are making and signing the policies, be it leftist or rightist leaning media.
Old July 22nd, 2013 (09:01 PM).
Livewire
The Young Wolf

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
This is also the same guy who ran those radio ads slamming states like Illinois and telling businesses to come to Texas. Because that's not sectarian or divisive at all. At least he's not going to be re-elected.
Old July 22nd, 2013 (09:14 PM).
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
The announcement of his retirement was the only pleasant thing I've read about Rick Perry.
Old July 25th, 2013 (08:22 PM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
The government should just send him a check made out to "irony." The amount should be "a lot."

I doubt he'd get it, though.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old July 25th, 2013 (11:52 PM).
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
How heartless can you guys be? This is a serious explosion we're talking about!
Old July 26th, 2013 (02:04 AM).
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
The guy asks for a government handout after a long history of admonishing others for doing the same.

I'd say that warrants more than a few accusations of hypocrisy. Sort of like what I like to do with Obama's peace prize and U.S. Drone Strikes.
Old July 26th, 2013 (11:15 AM).
Silais
Princess of the Law

Hypocrisy at its finest. I think Perry has his morals confused.
Old July 26th, 2013 (11:38 AM).
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Quote:
It's Texas so we're not losing anything of importance to begin with lol.

Gotta love the high life.
Old July 26th, 2013 (12:36 PM). Edited July 26th, 2013 by droomph.
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xulek View Post
It's Texas so we're not losing anything of importance to begin with lol.
Except for Texas Instruments oh god where would I be today without their super-handy graphing calculators (TI-84 4 lyfe) not to mention all the other crap they make

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silais View Post
Hypocrisy at its finest. I think Perry has his morals confused.
he's always confused. About his goals, about his morals, and about his gender. you know, all the good stuff us normal people have down.

Old July 26th, 2013 (12:53 PM).
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Except for Texas Instruments oh god where would I be today without their super-handy graphing calculators (TI-84 4 lyfe) not to mention all the other crap they make
I meant as far as people went, granted there are idiots everywhere but rarely do they reach the scale of someone such as Perry for example.

Old July 26th, 2013 (12:56 PM).
Silais
Princess of the Law

Maybe Texas will actually secede from the United States, along with North Carolina.
Old July 26th, 2013 (12:57 PM). Edited July 26th, 2013 by droomph.
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xulek View Post
I meant as far as people went, granted there are idiots everywhere but rarely do they reach the scale of someone such as Perry for example.
Yeah I know, I really hate to think why they haven't thrown him out.

I mean, if extramarital sex is a thing to shame them to the point of almost-resigning, shouldn't he be, like, quartered or something by now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silais View Post
Maybe Texas will actually secede from the United States, along with North Carolina.

NOPE THEY OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T THINK THAT ONE THROUGH

Old July 26th, 2013 (01:02 PM).
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Yeah I know, I really hate to think why they haven't thrown him out.

I mean, if extramarital sex is a thing to shame them to the point of almost-resigning, shouldn't he be, like, quartered or something by now?
If Bush Jr. or Obama haven't been thrown out of office I'm not surprised to see the loathable piece of horse**** that is Perry still being in power though to be fair he is a pretty good comedian when shown making this ad that made me laugh for hours on end.

Oh yeah and let's not forget Texas wanting to ban oral and anal sex too along with what has been going on with the Justin Carter debacle as well, stay classy Texas lol.

Old July 26th, 2013 (01:10 PM).
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
I'm still wondering when Texas will shut up and actually do it as well.
They can't legally, and the US is still much more powerful than the Republic of Texas even after they secede in terms of military power for the "illegal" route.

Old July 26th, 2013 (02:34 PM).
Silais
Princess of the Law

It's an interesting thought though.
Old July 26th, 2013 (07:36 PM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Did anyone say he shouldn't get it? Accusing someone of being a hypocrite is not the same as saying they shouldn't get their highly ironic request fulfilled. However, he should have to make a public apology and shut up about the subject in the future as a precondition.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old July 26th, 2013 (08:09 PM).
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocows View Post
Did anyone say he shouldn't get it? Accusing someone of being a hypocrite is not the same as saying they shouldn't get their highly ironic request fulfilled. However, he should have to make a public apology and shut up about the subject in the future as a precondition.
In fact, I think the state of Texas should have a legal order to have him stop embarrassing the state and having their PR plummet. The things I hear him say are terrifyingly stupid. Terrifying because he's in so much power but he's so stupid…I'm sorry for being so blunt but there's no way one person could be so blatantly hypocritical more than once and have any sense of intelligence.

Old July 26th, 2013 (08:17 PM).
Livewire
The Young Wolf

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote:
You could say the same thing about

Justin Amash (R-MI)
Andy Barr (R-KY)
Dan Benishek (R-MI)
Kerry Bentivolio (R-MI)
Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
Jim Bridenstine (R-OK)
Mo Brooks (R-AL)
Paul Broun (R-GA)
Steve Chabot (R-OH)
Doug Collins (R-GA)
Mike Conaway (R-TX)
Tom Cotton (R-AR)
Steve Daines (R-MT)
Ron DeSantis (R-FL)
Scott DesJarlais (R-TN)
Sean Duffy (R-WI)
Jeff Duncan (R-SC)
Jimmy Duncan (R-TN)
Stephen Fincher (R-TN)
John Fleming (R-LA)
Bill Flores (R-TX)
Virginia Foxx (R-NC)
Trent Franks (R-AZ)
Louie Gohmert (R-TX)
Bob Goodlatte (R-VA)
Paul Gosar (R-AZ)
Trey Gowdy (R-SC)
Tom Graves (R-GA)
Sam Graves (R-MO)
Andrew Harris (R-MD)
George Holding (R-NC)
Richard Hudson (R-NC)
Tim Huelskamp (R-KS)
Randy Hultgren (R-IL)
Lynn Jenkins (R-KS)
Jim Jordan (R-OH)
Doug Lamborn (R-CO)
Kenny Marchant (R-TX)
Thomas Massie (R-KY)
Tom McClintock (R-CA)
Mark Meadows (R-NC)
Markwayne Mullin (R-OK)
Mick Mulvaney (R-SC)
Randy Neugebauer (R-TX)
Steven Palazzo (R-MS)
Steve Pearce (R-NM)
Scott Perry (R-PA)
Tom Petri (R-WI)
Mike Pompeo (R-KS)
Tom Price (R-GA)
Phil Roe (R-TN)
Todd Rokita (R-IN)
Keith Rothfus (R-PA)
Ed Royce (R-CA)
Paul Ryan (R-WI)
Matt Salmon (R-AZ)
David Schweikert (R-AZ)
Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI)
Marlin Stutzman (R-IN)
Mac Thornberry (R-TX)
Randy Weber (R-TX)
Brad Wenstrup (R-OH)
Roger Williams (R-TX)
Joe Wilson (R-SC)
Rob Woodall (R-GA)
Kevin Yoder (R-KS)
Ted Yoho (R-FL)

(everybody who voted against Hurricane Sandy Aide) who didn't feel the need to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Old July 26th, 2013 (08:20 PM). Edited July 26th, 2013 by droomph.
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Oh no because you see this is what we call partisanship, my children.

Repeat after me - partisanship. Par-ti-zen-ship.

See, this means that if someone from another group of humans who don't agree with you have problems, you ignore them (preferably with a middle finger and a slap in the face or two thrown in for good measure) and call every one of your banal problems "a national tragedy", even if it could have been avoided by a drunken alcoholic monkey with half a brain and Asperger's and untreated dyslexia. Did I also mention the monkey is dead and nobody has noticed yet?

Old July 26th, 2013 (09:40 PM).
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
You could say the same thing about

Justin Amash (R-MI)
Andy Barr (R-KY)
Dan Benishek (R-MI)
Kerry Bentivolio (R-MI)
Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
Jim Bridenstine (R-OK)
Mo Brooks (R-AL)
Paul Broun (R-GA)
Steve Chabot (R-OH)
Doug Collins (R-GA)
Mike Conaway (R-TX)
Tom Cotton (R-AR)
Steve Daines (R-MT)
Ron DeSantis (R-FL)
Scott DesJarlais (R-TN)
Sean Duffy (R-WI)
Jeff Duncan (R-SC)
Jimmy Duncan (R-TN)
Stephen Fincher (R-TN)
John Fleming (R-LA)
Bill Flores (R-TX)
Virginia Foxx (R-NC)
Trent Franks (R-AZ)
Louie Gohmert (R-TX)
Bob Goodlatte (R-VA)
Paul Gosar (R-AZ)
Trey Gowdy (R-SC)
Tom Graves (R-GA)
Sam Graves (R-MO)
Andrew Harris (R-MD)
George Holding (R-NC)
Richard Hudson (R-NC)
Tim Huelskamp (R-KS)
Randy Hultgren (R-IL)
Lynn Jenkins (R-KS)
Jim Jordan (R-OH)
Doug Lamborn (R-CO)
Kenny Marchant (R-TX)
Thomas Massie (R-KY)
Tom McClintock (R-CA)
Mark Meadows (R-NC)
Markwayne Mullin (R-OK)
Mick Mulvaney (R-SC)
Randy Neugebauer (R-TX)
Steven Palazzo (R-MS)
Steve Pearce (R-NM)
Scott Perry (R-PA)
Tom Petri (R-WI)
Mike Pompeo (R-KS)
Tom Price (R-GA)
Phil Roe (R-TN)
Todd Rokita (R-IN)
Keith Rothfus (R-PA)
Ed Royce (R-CA)
Paul Ryan (R-WI)
Matt Salmon (R-AZ)
David Schweikert (R-AZ)
Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI)
Marlin Stutzman (R-IN)
Mac Thornberry (R-TX)
Randy Weber (R-TX)
Brad Wenstrup (R-OH)
Roger Williams (R-TX)
Joe Wilson (R-SC)
Rob Woodall (R-GA)
Kevin Yoder (R-KS)
Ted Yoho (R-FL)

(everybody who voted against Hurricane Sandy Aide) who didn't feel the need to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Comparing the cases though, Sandy was a natural disaster. Nothing could have prevented it.

The explosion was a case of idiocy. A lack of regulations and common sence was what caused this explosion. Basically, human idiocy is what caused it.

Come play Runescape
Old July 27th, 2013 (08:53 AM).
Silais
Princess of the Law

Even it Hurricane Sandy was a natural disaster, it doesn't mean anyone should feel comfortable denying aid to all of the people who suffered from it. We're all human beings and we should help one another when disaster strikes, natural or not. The fact that these politicians found it to be a waste of money is despicable. Human beings are never a waste of money, unless you're a rich man in Congress who is so detached from his voter base that he suffers from extreme egocentricity.

Sponsored Links