The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!


Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old June 17th, 2013, 09:40 AM
FayAurora's Avatar
FayAurora
Dark-Type Trainer/Breeder
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Gender: Female
Nature: Lonely
Hope you don't mind if I join this conversation
First off, awesome tattoo! I love FMA, and will even be cosplaying as Winry in July!

Anywaaays:
How do you feel about tattoos in general? I love tattoos and was raised with them. My mom has quite a few, ranging from a gecko running across her feet, leaving muddy footprints behind, to scriptures on her arms, to always remind her of what's important in life. I believe tattoos are a beautiful way to express yourself, and I'm planning on several that I want to get.

Do you have any tattoos? What of? What do they mean? If not, why not? And what do you want, if anything? I don't currently have any tattoos at the moment, but I plan on getting some. My plans for my tattoos are all simple and will all always have a meaning to them. Like I won't ever do a boyfriend's/husband's name, because in a worst case scenario, something may happen and we might break-up/get divorced, but a few names I will do would probably be my mom's name and both of my older brother's names.

Family means the world to me, and I never want to forget that. My mom would give up anything for me and my brothers, my older brother, though a brat and a jerk, still means a lot to me and has taught me many lessons, and my oldest brother is in the NAVY, and he just means so much to me, risking his life for me, my family, and this country.

Probably the only other name I would get as a tattoo is 'Brandon A. Meyer'. He was a family friend, and was my pastor's son; probably one of the biggest influences in my life. He was like a brother to me, and had joined the ARMY. He died about 8 days after my birthday some years back, and I will never forget that beautiful soul.

Some other tattoos I want would be things I grew up with, like Pokemon. I really want some tribal Pokemon tattoos, though I haven't decided which Pokemon exactly. But Pokemon has actually been a big part of my life, and has had many wonderful memories with it.

Finally, a tattoo that I definitely want to get, and it will be my first tattoo, is a four leaf clover with a music note in it. The four leaf clover symbolizes how lucky I am to be alive, and the music note is because music is life to me; another beautiful way to express one's self.

So yeah, like I said, I want quite a few tattoos, all which have deep meanings to them.
(Sorry for the super long post ^///^)
__________________
~ I've been trying to do it right,
I've been living a lonely life.
I've been sleeping here instead;
I've been sleeping in my bed,
Sleeping in my bed... ~

Reply With Quote
  #27    
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:55 AM
AnonygooseD's Avatar
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Africa
Nature: Jolly
I see tattoos as a "body decoration", people are free to have one (or some lol) but I don't really endorse them because you'll probably get one when you're young & regret it later because it may not be welcomed at work/school, also drunk tattoos (mainly butt tattoos lol) are a dilemma too

As much as I would love a permanent tattoo I would prefer a tattoo that is temporary but lasts for a long while, I once got one but it got washed away so fast since I clean my hands a lot... My first was a red/blue starfish & I got it on my wrist & everyone who saw thought it was a cross & said "WHAT"S THIS?" it was kinda shocking since I'm a Muslim & my name is Muslim-ish also so people get surprised until I tell them it's a freakin' five pointed starfish & hold my wrist against their face so they can see
I would love to get that tattoo again but this time I should use a longer-lasting temporary tattoo ink...
__________________

Last edited by AnonygooseD; June 17th, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28    
Old June 17th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Vital's Avatar
Vital
ignore the whisper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
Oh, speaking of the whole Muslim-tattoo talk that AnonygooseD, that reminded me of something else, henna tattoos.

While I guess they're culturally used on women more often than men, I get them sometimes, cause they can look pretty damn badass if used correctly. For those who don't know, henna's basically a putty like material that's made from a plant iirc with a special dye. When the putty/paste is left on skin for a while, it leaves a mark, usually reddish in color. It lasts for a while, depending on the quality of the henna, and it's perfect for temporary fun. Don't be like me, though, and henna-tat your name on your hand.

Spoiler:
Reply With Quote
  #29    
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:13 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗'s Avatar
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
I had forgotten to reply to this. I:

I don't have tattoos but I don't care if other people do. Heck, in my close family, I'm the only one who doesn't. X}

Pretty sure it'd be a bad idea, because I would hate it later. Though I admittedly am tempted to try to just put a scar in the shape of the operator symbol (that thing in my username) somewhere that wouldn't be obvious. {:
That seems less permanent (I've had several scars that completely faded on their own) and easier to hide.
__________________
I am in the process of leaving PC and IRC channels associated with it.
If you wish to contact me, this is my channel:
client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.systemnet.info&channel=%23SableyeCorner
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Reply With Quote
  #30    
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
How do you feel about tattoos in general?

I love tattoos. Even just as art. They are an expression of personality, gotta love 'em.

Do you have any tattoos? What of? What do they mean? If not, why not? And what do you want, if anything?

A few weeks ago I had a 'screw it, why not' moment, and a tattoo. In short, I'm rather sore, but I like the work. On my left wrist I have the Seal of Rassilon from Doctor Who. When I get a working camera I'll post a pic. Right now it's a bit reddish anyway.

Did it hurt getting the tattoo? If you don't have one, do you think that it will?

Like I said, a little sore, like a bruise that only hurts when you touch it.

Getting it wasn't that bad. It stung a little, but the guy was really nice and kept me talking. After a while I didn't feel a thing and it kind of felt cool.

Anyways nowadays they have this gel that numbs your skin.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31    
Old June 18th, 2013, 03:40 AM
AnonygooseD's Avatar
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Africa
Nature: Jolly
As Bloodex said, Hennah is also a good "style" of tattoo, it has an Arab origin & is mainly for girls, it's temporary but lasts for long if the ink is good, where I live people can easily tell if it's Hennah or not so only girls use it.
Here are some examples for those who don't know it, the drawings are mainly patterns similar to plants & flowers & imo are very stylish for women, open the spoilers.
Spoiler:



__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32    
Old June 18th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Plumpyfoof's Avatar
Plumpyfoof
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Lots of really neutral opinions on here about this..

I am very much pro tattoo's but with some serious conditioning.
I hate:
Spoiler:
Homejobs
cliches
unoriginal tattoos (ie. "I found this cool infinity symbol on Tumblr" just no.)
tribal on skinny white guys
tribal on muscular white guys
tribal on white guys
tribal on people without any real significance behind it (you don't belong to a tribe and your tribe-leader didn't put that on you.
Drug, weapon and assorted contraband references
Nudity, why does she have to have her breasts out? it's unnecessary.
Face tattoos
"cosmetic" tattoos that are supposed to look like make-up.
tattoos by horrible artists that were done because they're cheap and they "just wanted to get into the tattoo scene".
AND!!
Crosses, mostly because of their religious significance and how they're improperly symbolised.
people who say "Ink" "Inked" or variations of the word as well as those who shorten tattoos to "tats" also make me angry, makes it sound cheap and bogan.


I do however enjoy well thought out and original work in any form.

I myself have 3, technically 6 but three are practically the one. I definitely plan on getting many more done but at the moment I'm testing out which artists do a good enough job to work on something more noticeable.

Did it hurt? Oh my no, I was practically falling asleep during the one on my wrist. The worst place was shading over the edge of my shoulder blade because I'm a skinny guy and there isn't really any meat.


I think tattoos should be used only as a form of self expression, emphasis on self. Exceptions are only to get small matching tattoos symbolic of an event or shared experience. Otherwise they should be personal and not used to attain status in social groups.
Reply With Quote
  #33    
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:35 AM
diab_low's Avatar
diab_low
#SmashingTheMaroons
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney NSW Australia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
How do you feel about tattoos in general?
I personally do not like tattoos, its simply poison to the blood and looks bad when the skin gets old and wrinkly, but people can happily wear tattoos I accept their decision.

Do I have any? And do I want one?
I have no Tattoos, and I do not want any.

Do I think it'll hurt?
Hell yeah it hurts lmao.
Spoiler:
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34    
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:52 AM
danks_'s Avatar
danks_
NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by diab_low View Post
its simply poison to the blood
Bloodborne diseases. If the equipment used to create your tattoo is contaminated with infected blood, you can contract various bloodborne diseases — including tetanus, hepatitis B and hepatitis C.

If you go to a good parlor shop where tools are sterilized and not reused, there's a very very little chance that can happen. Just so you know
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35    
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:58 AM
ANARCHit3cht
 
Join Date: May 2013
That Henna stuff looks uncomfortable. I had heard about it... but I never have actually seen it or looked up what it actually was. It looks like mud, imo, with the way that it is just sitting on top of the skin like that... I like tattoos, because they actually change the pigment of your skin. I hate erase-able pens, because they just put a layer of the ink on-top of the paper(that's why you can erase it!) and not only does it write terrible, it looks terrible... kinda reminds me of Henna.

@Diab_Low: Like danks said, if you go to a safe place, they you will have no worry. The tattoo artist that I know uses brand new needles every time, and sanitizes his equipment after every tattoo. Even if it is on the same person.

As for that picture... that guy just looks like a wuss! I didn't even move a muscle when I was getting my cross tat (that also happens to be in FMA) inked on my kitchen table *cough*Plumpyfoof*cough*

But no really, Plumpufoof, I find the things that you dislike about tattoos weird. You say that you believe tattoos should be a form of self-expression, with the emphasis on self, yet then you have this list of all these things that are "wrong" to do. What does it matter, what tattoo people get? It isn't on your body, nor does their choice affect you. Even if it is the most cliche tattoo ever, you don't know what meaning it could have to the person who chose it. I know plenty of people who get common symbols, and I can tell you that none of their stories behind it are the same... Not to mention, even on such symbols, people often get their own additions and changes added to it, to not only personalize it, but also to further explain the story that their tattoo was supposed to tell. Mine for instance, is the flamel cross. This happens to be on Full Metal Alchemist, but that is not where I got the symbol from. I actually happened to get the idea from Nicolas Flamel's gravestone, which has this symbol on it. When it gets boiled down to it, it essentially means what once made you weaker, now makes you stronger. I have my own experiences that have led me to put that, and while my tattoo isn't exactly the most unique thing around, it is FAR from being complete, as when I add in all the other tattoos around it, the whole thing is going to come together.

Last edited by ANARCHit3cht; June 19th, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36    
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Vital's Avatar
Vital
ignore the whisper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
Only reason tattoo's have been so directly related to STDs and other diseases like danks mentioned is cause underage kids are fools and decide to go to their friend's house to get a homejob. Obviously the place hasn't been sterilized like it should be, and cause of that diseases are rampant. If everyone went ahead and actually got a tattoo like they were supposed to, the incidence of blood-borne diseases via inking would be significantly less, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote
  #37    
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:00 AM
diab_low's Avatar
diab_low
#SmashingTheMaroons
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney NSW Australia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by danks_ View Post
If you go to a good parlor shop where tools are sterilized and not reused, there's a very very little chance that can happen. Just so you know
Yeah buddy you have a point there but I'm talking about the Ink itself some of it enters the bloodstream through the pores of the skin
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38    
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:03 AM
danks_'s Avatar
danks_
NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Absolute not. There is no way for the tattoo ink to enter your bloodstream unless you are jamming something all the way through your skin and reaching the veins beneath. A tattoo machine, even if setup to run at its longest stroke length will not travel far enough to go completely through your skin. Unless you're working on a scar tissue area, that is a different ball game.

Someone stated that when you get a tattoo, ink is placed between the first and second layer. Well, they are not completely correct. The ink settles in the dermis which is the second group layer of skin. This is after the needles carrying the ink pass through all '5' layers of the epidermis. And different areas of the body have different thicknesses of skin. That is why using an artist working from home or even an artist in a shop that just knows how to tattoo but does not actually know about the canvas they are working on can cause damage.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39    
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:09 AM
diab_low's Avatar
diab_low
#SmashingTheMaroons
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney NSW Australia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by danks_ View Post
Absolute not. There is no way for the tattoo ink to enter your bloodstream unless you are jamming something all the way through your skin and reaching the veins beneath. A tattoo machine, even if setup to run at its longest stroke length will not travel far enough to go completely through your skin. Unless you're working on a scar tissue area, that is a different ball game.

Someone stated that when you get a tattoo, ink is placed between the first and second layer. Well, they are not completely correct. The ink settles in the dermis which is the second group layer of skin. This is after the needles carrying the ink pass through all '5' layers of the epidermis. And different areas of the body have different thicknesses of skin. That is why using an artist working from home or even an artist in a shop that just knows how to tattoo but does not actually know about the canvas they are working on can cause damage.
Ahh I get you man, yeah because I heard it can get in your skin and all that stuff but anyway thanks for clearing that out
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40    
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:15 AM
danks_'s Avatar
danks_
NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Na, it's cool, that's a bad misconception that's made because the Red Cross usually asks people to donate blood only a year after they've gotten a Tattoo. It's not poisoning the blood, they ask for the tattoo to be a year old to be sure you haven't been infected with any disease, since some diseases take time to develop or show signs of existence they make you wait. It's all good :p
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41    
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Vital's Avatar
Vital
ignore the whisper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANARCHit3cht View Post
That Henna stuff looks uncomfortable. I had heard about it... but I never have actually seen it or looked up what it actually was. It looks like mud, imo, with the way that it is just sitting on top of the skin like that... I like tattoos, because they actually change the pigment of your skin. I hate erase-able pens, because they just put a layer of the ink on-top of the paper(that's why you can erase it!) and not only does it write terrible, it looks terrible... kinda reminds me of Henna.
You do know that you wash the mud-like thing off, right? The mark it leaves behind when you take it off is what the tattoo is. And you only leave it for about... 15 to 30 minutes? Less in some cases.
Reply With Quote
  #42    
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:58 AM
FayAurora's Avatar
FayAurora
Dark-Type Trainer/Breeder
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Gender: Female
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANARCHit3cht View Post
That Henna stuff looks uncomfortable. I had heard about it... but I never have actually seen it or looked up what it actually was.
Henna tattoos are actually quite comfortable, like getting a manicure, pedicure, or mud bath, it's really not that bad, unless you are like one of my friends who got one right on top of a mosquito bite that she didn't notice XD She about lost her mind with the want to scratch it!
Also they look even cooler up close and personal.
__________________
~ I've been trying to do it right,
I've been living a lonely life.
I've been sleeping here instead;
I've been sleeping in my bed,
Sleeping in my bed... ~

Reply With Quote
  #43    
Old June 19th, 2013, 09:34 AM
ANARCHit3cht
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
You do know that you wash the mud-like thing off, right? The mark it leaves behind when you take it off is what the tattoo is. And you only leave it for about... 15 to 30 minutes? Less in some cases.
I did not! I was confused, because some pictures looked like ink, and the others just looked like the Henna paste. That honestly sounds a whole lot better! I heard about Henna when my teacher made this little rap about one of the kids in my class just to shut up him... Either way, I think I'd prefer a real tattoo over this, although this is probably not even comparable in pain levels. And from what I looked up, you can get a light stain in that short amount of time, but if you want a darker, longer lasting tattoo, then you want to leave it on longer. I guess they also darken over time, which is pretty cool, because while it's a cool color, I can't say I'd particularly want a tattoo of that shade of orange-brown.
Reply With Quote
  #44    
Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:00 AM
Plumpyfoof's Avatar
Plumpyfoof
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANARCHit3cht View Post
But no really, Plumpyfoof, I find the things that you dislike about tattoos weird. You say that you believe tattoos should be a form of self-expression, with the emphasis on self, yet then you have this list of all these things that are "wrong" to do. What does it matter, what tattoo people get? It isn't on your body, nor does their choice affect you. Even if it is the most cliche tattoo ever, you don't know what meaning it could have to the person who chose it. I know plenty of people who get common symbols, and I can tell you that none of their stories behind it are the same... Not to mention, even on such symbols, people often get their own additions and changes added to it, to not only personalize it, but also to further explain the story that their tattoo was supposed to tell. Mine for instance, is the flamel cross. This happens to be on Full Metal Alchemist, but that is not where I got the symbol from. I actually happened to get the idea from Nicolas Flamel's gravestone, which has this symbol on it. When it gets boiled down to it, it essentially means what once made you weaker, now makes you stronger. I have my own experiences that have led me to put that, and while my tattoo isn't exactly the most unique thing around, it is FAR from being complete, as when I add in all the other tattoos around it, the whole thing is going to come together.
I never said they were wrong, I said "I hate" them. I see these things and I instantly know very much about that person and they are associated with people who I don't like to associate myself with.
Cliche tattoo's are cliche because so many people get them and just slap on an excuse, if their intentions were what they say it was they'd have thought of something much more original. An infinity symbol by itself because yeah forever and stuff, because they thought it looked cute on a girl on Tumblr, but if forever really meant something to them there are plenty of variations or original adaptations they could have used. I know for a fact tattoo artists hate doing the same tattoo over and over on completely unrelated people.

See now I'm not slagging on your tattoo specifically, yours is one of the few exceptions to my thorough dislike of crosses.
Crosses are a religious symbol as you may have noticed a serious Christian figure was nailed to it's evolutionary predecessor. They indicate loyalty, faith as well as wisdom and guidance. The vast majority of people who get crosses get them because they've seen them done well on others and they looked alright. That's not original, it's not even thoughtful, half the time they're not religious at all.
If they had put their own experiences and interests into a tattoo it would be much different.
Of course the small exception would be people like you who did put a lot of thought into it, and those who do believe in faith and the afterlife mostly to remember a passed loved one.

I'm sure you were "coughing" my name because yours was a home job too? The general idea is that home jobs are from crappy under-qualified and downright bad artists. Yes this is a generalisation relax, plenty of room for exception.

To me self-expression is about originality. Not something you pulled from a poster somewhere. It doesn't even necessarily have to mean anything so long as it isn't a direct rip-off of someone else's originality.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.