The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:52 PM
danks_
NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!

Nature: Serious
This could be the biggest backtrack in gaming history: Microsoft will reverse course on their DRM policies for Xbox One, dropping their Internet requirements and all restrictions on used games, according to the websites WhatHiFi and GiantBomb.

According to both reports, the announcement will be made today.

Quote:
Citing multiple sources, GiantBomb says Microsoft has decided to remove a laundry list of Xbox One restrictions that customers considered negative:

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
Authentication is no longer necessary
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped
My source: Kotaku and All Games Beta

For the people who were against this, would you now consider buying an Xbox One?
For the people that was still going to buy an Xbox One, how do you feel about it now?

I personally wouldn't buy it before and wouldn't buy it now Not a fan of the Xbox and the only new games I want to play are Watch Dogs (which I can play on PC) and Pokemon X Y.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:32 PM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Community Supporter Tier 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBOX Official Facebook Page
We at Xbox love games. More importantly, we at Xbox love gamers. Today we announced changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, loan and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Also, an internet connection won’t be required to play offline Xbox One games. We look forward to gaming with you for years to come.
I laugh in the face of every traitor who moved to PS4 and every FB page who thought they made witty meme pages bashing the XBOX One. The true loyal fans, like myself, who stayed by XBOX have been payed in full.

I have never been more proud of XBOX than I am right here, right now

I love you guys.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Spinosaurus

Fantastic. Now drop the price and you got yourself a deal. Microsoft showed more interesting exclusives than the PS4 for me anyway. (Dat 60fps Halo) Oh and better XBL Gold value, like the 360 during its mid days.

EDIT: is the forced kinect still there?
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Team Fail
Let It Burn

Nature: Brave
It's very official:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Anyways, drop the price a bit, and I might consider getting it.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old June 19th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Nauje
feel good hit of the summer?
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Relaxed
JESUS. I did not expect this at all.

If Xbox drop their price then the console war will be certainly up and running again in full force. Me being a kind of Playstation fanboy will still get a PS4, but this has made the Xbox One a whole lot more interesting now.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:38 PM
T!M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
It's very official:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

I'm so ecstatic, I don't care about the price. That stuff is mine, brother!
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:40 PM
danks_
NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I don't think I'll get it, but about dropping the price, I really hope they do, $499 seems like something I'd have to work a lot to afford. I'd rather use that money on other things. Buying a PS4 isn't in the list, lol.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer Timothy View Post

I laugh in the face of every traitor who moved to PS4 and every FB page who thought they made witty meme pages bashing the XBOX One. The true loyal fans, like myself, who stayed by XBOX have been payed in full.

I love you guys.
If everyone was a true, loyal, fan then Microsoft wouldn't have made these changes.

These changes are about money, pure and simple - With as much backlash that they were getting over all of this, and with how many people saying that they weren't going to buy a XBOne because of these... features... Microsoft had to do something if they wanted to be a viable competitor this generation.

When does sitting back and doing nothing ever force changes? Hint hint, never. You have all of your 'traitors' to thank for this - Without them, Microsoft would never have had a need to make these changes.

The Hacker Project MMORPG
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Spinosaurus

Damn, no region lock too?

Get your **** together Nintendo lol.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:54 PM
T!M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
If everyone was a true, loyal, fan then Microsoft wouldn't have made these changes.

These changes are about money, pure and simple - With as much backlash that they were getting over all of this, and with how many people saying that they weren't going to buy a XBOne because of these... features... Microsoft had to do something if they wanted to be a viable competitor this generation.

When does sitting back and doing nothing ever force changes? Hint hint, never. You have all of your 'traitors' to thank for this - Without them, Microsoft would never have had a need to make these changes.
This actually makes sense. I just got caught up in the fact that I stayed by the system until they did this. But you're indeed correct. If people hadn't complained there would be no change.

(Post liked)
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

Psh, I still wouldn't buy it. You'll never catch me with a Microsoft gaming system~

Just the fact that they actually tried to implement these features in the first place makes my skin crawl....
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Mr. X
Oops

I've a few friends who still don't plan to even with this - Mainly because they expect Microsoft to change their minds again and add all of these 'features' back in with future firmware updates.

I think they are just a little bit paranoid. I can foresee some of this coming back, but not all of it.

Old June 19th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Nuke

Drop the price to match the PS4's and you have a deal. Unfortunately I imagine another backtrack would harm their reputation a lot.

Until further developments I'm happy to be on the PS4 side.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:25 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer Timothy View Post

I love you guys.
I think they're bashing and general consumer backlash is what led to Microsoft changing their positions. So, please, while laugh at them, also thank those supposed non-fans for giving you a non-DRM console.

Good on Microsoft, but it's still $100 more. I don't want the Kinect hardware. And based on E3, I was more interested in games Sony showed off.

Last edited by TRIFORCE89; June 20th, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Mr. X
Oops

At least Sony showed the games as what they will look like on the PS4.

Microsoft was running them on PC's with a much more powerful videocard then what the XBone is going to have.

Old June 19th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Genesis
The world needs a new hero

Nature: Timid
PS4 for me since it will have 40% more graphical capabilities than the Xbox One but MS did a good thing there.
MS was running them on W7 PC with nVidia graphic cards so yeah...

genesis @ vm | pm | FF.net | credits | pairs
Out there, in the silence, I'll be gone
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

Wow, that sure didn’t take long for Microsoft to back track and remove all of these “features.” I can’t say it surprises me, considering all of the backlash they received, and the large number of people who said they’d jump ship to the PS4, so they had to do something to save face. It does concern me a little bit how quickly they caved in to all of this pressure though, especially since they were fully aware of the fact this was all added in the first place. But, when you’re dealing with such a huge market with only one or two other competitors, they’ll understandably want to get the upper hand while they still have the chance.

I did like what I heard someone say today, in that the console should almost be renamed the Xbox One Eighty.

Old June 19th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Purple Materia
Shape the future!
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Careful
I saw this and thought... wow. Looks like Microsoft was staring down the barrel of a loaded gun.

I'm glad they changed it, but I'm still buying a Playstation 4.

"I have fallen from the Land of Magic. I am Stardust Witch Meruru!"
Combat Arms | Raptr | Hummingbird | Last.fm
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:43 PM
CarcharOdin

Nature: Naughty
The fact that Microsoft even planned on these restrictions to begin with means they'll have to release something truly, ball-bustingly awesome for me to even consider buying an Xbox One...and only if they drop the price about $100.

And unfortunately, nothing Microsoft showed at E3 even gave me the tiniest semblance of a boner.
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
King of Kaiju

Nature: Quirky
This may be good news for Xbox fans now that Microsoft isn't using those restrictions, with the possible exception of the Kinect always watching you, it's also bad news for Nintendo, because now people will prefer both of its competitions over the Wii U, even if both are more expensive, in terms of both specs and library of games, and they will be dead last on the console wars like the N64 and GCN. ;_;

I wonder if my brother will be planning to buy the Xbox One because of this change.

Credit goes to anon from JoyReactor.com for the sig he posted
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

Sorry Microsoft, but even with all these things I will not be buying your console. I feel like you killed your only decent IPs while Sony and Nintendo's are still thriving (plus no clarification on Big Brother Kinect). Though for a while I will not be buying a PS4 either, and I will be getting a Wii U when at least five games I want are on the shelves so I guess I'm riding with my PC for the meantime.
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:31 PM
machomuu
Gungnir!

Playstation + is still gonna be a mad contender with Xbox Live. While + probably won't have as many benefits as it did in years past (due to it being required now), it's not only cheaper than Live, but also offers real and attractive freebies and bigger/more discounts, as well as the benefit of still being able to use Applications that, for Xbox, would require Gold to use.

But I don't really see this as any reason to jump the PS4-ship. It still has more First Party IPs and a stronger system for less, both in terms of system pricing and the online service (with better incentives for the latter).

I'm not really trying to promote the Playstation 4 or anything; heck, I'm not sure if I'm even buying it myself, but I think that one should consider more than just those restrictions when considering the Xbone. This is largely because I was mostly dissatisfied with the fanbase of the 360, with their usual two reasons for having one over a PS3 being that "there was no party chat on PS3" or that "All of their friends had an Xbox 360", partially for the previous reason. Exclusives hardly ever came up (though it was generally hilarious to get them to list off the Xbox exclusives that they knew of, especially when I had to give them some to list). I always considered Xbox 360 fanboys (not necessarily fans in general, just the supposed brand loyalists and brazen defenders) to be the most stubborn of the triumvirate, but seeing them jump ship like that...it was something. It showed me that, if they didn't care about quality before, they certainly would now...but if this is all it takes to make them jump back...well, then I guess no (or little) progress was made.
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Jak
where the fairy flies

Nature: Timid
My problem is that they apparently thought that was a good idea to begin with. Anyway, I didn't want one to begin with and I still don't want one. While I have nothing against Microsoft, I skipped the PS3 in favor of a 360, so I think it's time to get another PlayStation.
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:15 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
Thank goodness! They better have changed it, fans like myself were outraged.
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Mr. X
Oops

Speaking on no clarification for Kinect, Microsoft filed a patent that covers it being able to determine how many people are viewing a movie on the console. As it, while your viewing it - Your watching a movie, and it will know how many people are in the room watching it with you. I don't think this extends to playing games or music with it... Yet.

I haven't read anything on this for a while, but apparently them and the mpaa were kicking around the idea of putting limits on how many people you can have in the room with you when your watching a movie. If it detects more then say... 5 people in a room, it won't let you watch a movie and will instead ask you to purchase a lisense for that movie so you'd be able to view it with that number of people in the room.

Ah, here's a newer article about it.

http://kotaku.com/5958307/this-kinec...ense-violation

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links