The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Competitive Team Help

Notices

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:12 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Remember that in a VGC environment, the pace is a lot more faster compared to singles, so there's no time to stall and you're better off with bulky attackers, fast attackers and/or bulky supporters (and by bulky supporters, I mean those with Helping Hand, Reflect, Light Screen, Follow Me, etc.).
Such as a togekiss right?

What are your thoughts on a Psych up team? I would have chansey max out on minimize then have someone like Alakazam or starmie to use psych up to copy that stat. Tried on Terrakion but things still seem to hit him
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:08 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

I dont know where to start anymore. I tried a tailwind team but they cant hit hard enough and dont take hits well. trying a stall and grind cant get my evasion right. I just dk what to do anymore. i am tired of losing
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
First of all, doubles or singles? If it's doubles, I can show you my old rain team and let you try playing with that. It's not 100% but it's built alright. Can't help you much with singles.

General advice: Get used to playing with and against different pokemon. Get an idea, at least, of their strengths and weaknesses. Decide on what sort of team you want to build. There's a lot of different teams out there that utilizes different strategies. One pokemon carelessly added in can wreck with your team's synergy.

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Adrian!
Urban Adventurer

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Adrian!
Hey guys, I'm breeding a Growlithe right now and saved before receiving the current egg. The nature is set to adamant with the Intimidate ability. I want to raise it to be a physical attacker with Flare Blitz, Close Combat, and Extreme Speed. I'm planning on just doing 252 EV's for speed and attack, and then 4 EV's for HP.

Now my question is about IV's: I'm either soft resetting for max IV's in attack OR speed, and right now just landed on 31 speed IV's. Should I keep it as is, or should I reset for one with max attack IV's instead? Which would be more useful with the build I have planned? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:01 AM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
Amateur question, but is it possible that you could get max IVs in both speed and attack? It seems like you have a good build already for a physical attacker. Those extra speed IVs will give it the edge imo. Also, give him/her wild charge attack as well if you can.
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:09 AM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

It's okay man, keep trying. I didn't know what I was doing starting off and lost in everything from wifi to online simulator play. The key to getting better is to try different teams and to get used to teams that you are good with. Learn the metagame- that is key. Learn good matchups. Find a niche. Are you an offensive player or are you better on the defensive end. If you're offensive, go for an offensive full attack team. If defensive, go more for a stall team. Personally, I do better with stall teams but I really like offensive teams as well.

Use smogon or this site to try to find a good team. Then experiment, switch out Pokemon in that team. Here's a pretty good tailwind team:

Spoiler:
Whimsicott @ Yache Berry
Ability: Prankster
Calm (+SpD -Atk)
EVs: (HP 252, Def 104, SpD 152)
Tailwind
Taunt
Encore
Helping Hand

Mienshao @ Bug Gem
Ability: Inner Focus
Calm (+Spe -SpA)
EVs: (Atk 252, Spe 252, HP 4)
U-Turn
Hi Jump Kick
Fake Out
Protect

Durant @ Life Orb
Ability: Swarm
Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
EVs (Atk 252, Spe 252, HP 4)
X-Scissor
Rock Slide
Iron Head
Protect

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid (+Spe -Atk)
EVs (SpA 252, Spe 252, HP 4)
Heat Wave
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Protect

Hydreigon @ White Herb
Ability: Levitate
Timid (+SpA -Atk)
Fire Blast
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Protect

Jellicent @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Timid (SpA 252, Spe 252, HP 4)
Water Spout
Shadow Ball
Ice Beam
Energy Ball

If you don't have an online simulator like Pokemon Online or Pokemon Showdown I suggest you get one. These two programs have really helped me out with competitive battling.
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Adrian!
Urban Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiImNate View Post
Amateur question, but is it possible that you could get max IVs in both speed and attack? It seems like you have a good build already for a physical attacker. Those extra speed IVs will give it the edge imo. Also, give him/her wild charge attack as well if you can.
Thanks for the advice, Nate. I was hoping not to have to reset until I get max IV's in both, so that's why I was asking which one seems a little more logical. But by charge attack, do you mean something like Giga Impact?
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:13 AM
MIAU
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I'm guessing he meant Wild Charge.

Also, I don't know if you're already using parents with high IVs in the stats you want to increase the chances of passing down those IVs, but if you aren't, I have a couple of Growlithe males with 31 Speed IV (and 31 Sp. Atk) and a female with 30 Attack IV, if you need any help to breed one with higher IVs.
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:36 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I'd prioritize Arcanine having good IVs in Attack and Speed (31 is ideal for Speed, but anything between 20-31 is okay for me. The same goes for Attack)

Old June 20th, 2013, 01:06 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAU View Post

Also, I don't know if you're already using parents with high IVs in the stats you want to increase the chances of passing down those IVs, but if you aren't, I have a couple of Growlithe males with 31 Speed IV (and 31 Sp. Atk) and a female with 30 Attack IV, if you need any help to breed one with higher IVs.
Yeah, I meant Arcanine's wild charge attack. It's an electrical type attack which is good against water types.
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:43 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiImNate View Post
It's okay man, keep trying. I didn't know what I was doing starting off and lost in everything from wifi to online simulator play. The key to getting better is to try different teams and to get used to teams that you are good with. Learn the metagame- that is key. Learn good matchups. Find a niche. Are you an offensive player or are you better on the defensive end. If you're offensive, go for an offensive full attack team. If defensive, go more for a stall team. Personally, I do better with stall teams but I really like offensive teams as well.

Use smogon or this site to try to find a good team. Then experiment, switch out Pokemon in that team. Here's a pretty good tailwind team:

Spoiler:
Whimsicott @ Yache Berry
Ability: Prankster
Calm (+SpD -Atk)
EVs: (HP 252, Def 104, SpD 152)
Tailwind
Taunt
Encore
Helping Hand

Mienshao @ Bug Gem
Ability: Inner Focus
Calm (+Spe -SpA)
EVs: (Atk 252, Spe 252, HP 4)
U-Turn
Hi Jump Kick
Fake Out
Protect

Durant @ Life Orb
Ability: Swarm
Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
EVs (Atk 252, Spe 252, HP 4)
X-Scissor
Rock Slide
Iron Head
Protect

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid (+Spe -Atk)
Heat Wave
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Protect

Hydreigon @ White Herb
Ability: Levitate
Timid (+SpA -Atk)
Fire Blast
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Protect

Jellicent @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Timid (SpA 252, Spe 252, HP 4)
Water Spout
Shadow Ball
Ice Beam
Energy Ball

If you don't have an online simulator like Pokemon Online or Pokemon Showdown I suggest you get one. These two programs have really helped me out with competitive battling.
I dont like sims because just for the fact that people tend to cheat on simulators and I dont have time for that
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Adrian!
Urban Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAU View Post

You mean like with power items? I'm familiar with that, but I was just breeding for an adamant one with decent IV's for a friend when this one came out shiny, so that's why I'm stumbling over what to do with it. :3
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:59 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Which move is better for Zapdos? Volt Switch or U-turn. I would like a move that causes a return. Which one is more beneficial tho
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Hikamaru
I won't look back
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Which move is better for Zapdos? Volt Switch or U-turn. I would like a move that causes a return. Which one is more beneficial tho
Based on the information on the Choice Specs set, it's much better off with Volt Switch due to getting STAB on the move and it also works off its much higher Special Attack, as U-Turn is physical.

So yeah, definitely Volt Switch is better.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

Old June 25th, 2013, 06:10 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Volt Switch. Zapdos gets STAB on it and it runs off of its high Special Attack.

Old June 27th, 2013, 07:50 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Another question: I am breeding this Jolly Sneasel. Its IVs are 31,25,15,31,15,31. This ranges in order HP,Atk, Def, Sp Atk, Sp. Def and Speed. My question is; Is this Sneasel Good enough with its defenses and such or should I just keep breeding for a more perfect Sneasel
Old June 27th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Zekrom1066
Master of Ideals

Nature: Naughty
Sneasel's already quite frail and gets OHKOed easily, so having 15 IVs in both defenses doesn't really matter. The 31 IVs in HP could also make up for it, although just a little bit.

Naughty Nature Zekrom with 422 Attack stat and 252 Attack EVs traded from Pokemon White Version FTW!!!
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:07 AM
nvbarnes

Well, I am getting SoulSilver soon, and so are five or six of my friends. We host tournaments. So, I was wondering if anyone could give me great advice on which pokemon to select in the beginning for battling friends, while keeping in mind: I DO WANT TO BEAT THE GAME TOO.

I want an unstoppable team, so let's talk SS!
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:31 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

When running a Double battle using politoad is it a good Idea to drag its speed as low as possible?
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

If you're using Drizzle, yes. That's because if two Pokemon with different weather abilities are tossed out in the first turn, the one with the slower speed will set the weather. That's partially why you see very few Ninetales out on the first turn. They never win the initial weather battle.

- - - -
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:46 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinbane View Post
If you're using Drizzle, yes. That's because if two Pokemon with different weather abilities are tossed out in the first turn, the one with the slower speed will set the weather. That's partially why you see very few Ninetales out on the first turn. They never win the initial weather battle.
Is it a good Idea to send politoad out on first turn?
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

It depends on the situation. If the opponent has opposing weather, maybe, depending on if you want to bet on the speed or if you want to go for a switch for guaranteed weather. Or if opponent has a Politoed of his own, you could take a bet and rely on him bringing out THEIR toed and free a teamslot for yourself... or not. Or if you're running Swift Swim and opponent has an obvious Trick Room team, Politoed would be an iffy choice in that case.

Anyhow, like any other strategy, it depends on what your battle style is, and what the opponent has. Don't lock yourself into doing the same thing over and over.

- - - -
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:46 AM
ShiningLust
Gym Leader of Ground Oden

hi guys I gotta question is Nidoking or Nidoqueen still worth using anymore cuz I remember back in they were good Pokemon to use but idk can someone pm and tell me if they are

Egg Swap is back for GT10! Join us now and get swapping!
Pokemon White 2
Trainer Name: Oden
Friend Code: 4299-4642-0391
3DS Friend Name: Oden
3DS Friend Code: 3969-4646-3728
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

@nvbarnes: I moved your competitive team help post to over here. I recommend training anything in Smogon's Overused battling tier.

Moved~
Old July 11th, 2013, 02:46 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningLust View Post
hi guys I gotta question is Nidoking or Nidoqueen still worth using anymore cuz I remember back in they were good Pokemon to use but idk can someone pm and tell me if they are
Theroretically, Nidoking would see more use than Nidoqueen in OU because it's stronger and faster. However, both Nidos see more use in the UU environment, with Nidoking being used more frequently for the above reason. Both have the Sheer Force ability, which powers up their moves with secondary effects (effects with chances of occuring, like Earth Power's 10% chance of Special Defense reduction), but disables those effects.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here