• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen Sweet, Sweet Honey

Years
Bag_Honey_Sprite.png
Spr_4p_446.png
Bag_Honey_Sprite.png

In Generation IV, one of the many new things we were introduced to was the addition of Honey. This could be slathered on trees to attract specific species of Pokémon after the player had waited for six hours or more. This mechanic has since been removed in the Generation V games and is likely not to reappear in the Pokémon series again.

As with most of my topics, I have a few questions to help raise discussion points.

First of all, did you ever attempt to use the Honey to catch Pokémon? If not, was it due to the waiting times, lack of species available or something different entirely?

How do you think it compares to other methods of wild encounters such as Headbutting Trees in G/S/HG/SS?

Would you like to see this mechanic return in future games?

And finally, how the hell does a Heracross fit in a tree?

As always, don't feel obligated to answer all or any of my questions, I always simply include them to help with discussion.​

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Honestly, when I first played, I couldn't figure out how honey worked. I had skipped all of what the honey-giving man had said, so it was almost impossible. Deciding it was a glitch, I progressed on with the game. However when I did find out how the honey concept worked, I decided to give it a go but I decided the waiting period was rather long and not worth it at all. I never came back to find any of the rarer Pokemon living up in those trees, since I found it a rather tedious chance. 1% of a chance to find Munchlax and only in four trees- that would take forever. I'd rather breed Snorlax to be honest.

Other than that, I think the concept compared to the other methods was rather creative but also rather irritating having to wait. Sometimes you might not even get a Pokemon and that would be frustrating. I liked the Headbutt method more, since it was simple and quick. I'd rather not see it return in future generations. Although it was creative, I just didn't really like it.

As for how Heracross fits in a tree, I think that's because of something called magic. :]

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I knew how to use honey, but I almost never used it...I only used it when I couldn't find Combee on my Pokedex ;~;
I hated that wait time...having to put honey on a tree, turn off your DS (or keep playing), wait a day and find a Pokemon that could be sub-par (I found a bunch of Wurmple my first few times..) wasn't worth it in my opinion.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
For me, just because slathering honey on trees to attract common/are Pokemon was a unique idea it doesn't necessarily mean it was a fun feature to use haha. I hate it with a passion in all honesty. Not because of its concept, I think it's great, but rather the time it took to actually encounter a Pokemon. That's without mention of the tiny chance of even encountering a rare/useful Pokemon. Good idea, just not properly executed.

Years
I did know how to use the honey, and the fact it did allow you to catch some rare Pokemon but I would have enjoyed it better if it was more properly executed, like what Nathan said. Also, having to wait a few hours for a Pokemon to show up was very tedious.

Years
i used it a couple of times, and found a couple burmy, and that just confirmed to me that it wasnt worth the effort. i just bred snorlax and otherwise ignored it. its just like the PokeSpot in XD. those annoyed me because i would get a call at an annoying time, get out of the current adventure and find that a munchlax ate the food. stuff like that is SO annoying

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
It never seemed to work for me, even when I did it correctly. Only once, and it was a Heracross. I accidentally knocked it out. D:

Years
I found it time-consuming to use the Honey after a couple tries. So I never bothered with it again. The Headbutt method is slightly better only because Headbutt can function as a (pretty decent) move.

Sirfetch’d

I hated this feature as it was just too hard to get a rare or useful Pokemon and just the overall trouble made it not worth it to me. I think it was a good idea, just needs improving.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
First of all, did you ever attempt to use the Honey to catch Pokémon? If not, was it due to the waiting times, lack of species available or something different entirely?

Yes. And failed, as I didn't understand it (Either didn't use enough honey or didn't come back soon enoguh / came back too soon). Eventually did use it, never found a Munchlax or Heracross though.

How do you think it compares to other methods of wild encounters such as Headbutting Trees in G/S/HG/SS?

Headbutt was way superior. Even without the tutor, it would still be more practical as you don't have to take it all seriously and concentrate on your timing (i.e. coming back at the right time), and it doesn't cost money.

No. a) it's a bit rubbish and b) it should be kept Sinnoh-exclusive as some things have been kept exclusive to other regions (such as Headbutt, lack of berries in Kanto / Johto etc.).

Where the hell does your mom sleep when you have the only bed? Why do the bad guys just give up instead of using Revives and attacking you personally with their pokémon as opposed to battling? Why does Barry's mom not know who he takes after? (Well, we all know that one hehe -_-).
Just accept it. Although my reasoning would be that trees, like houses, are bigger on the inside, because they're all Tardises, or Tardi, or Tardis' or whatever than they appear when compared to the player. And you put honey there, so Heracross will find a way, any way, even if it means killing so many Wurmple the tree turns yellow with their decaying corpses.

Sorry, got a bit morbid there. But Spain just got there arsses handed to them by a team who drew with England a month ago so, you know, anarchy, end of the world and all that xD

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I'm using Honey to lure Pokémon sometimes, but some of the Pokémon are hard to find, for me. Although it's time consuming, I'm thinking that luring Pokémon this way is quite good imo.

Years

No, I never used Honey to get any poke mainly because I don't like those pokes much.
Headbutting trees was a lot easier than through Honey. So I think this feature Shucks....!
I vote for this feature to never comeback
Probably just sleeping on a Tree Top or something and then fells down when someone Headbutt's it.

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
Years
I only recently tried out the honey trees, and I quite enjoyed it. Sure the wait was a little frustrating, but there are other things you can do in real life during the wait times. I never go for Munchlax though. Slow pokemon are terrible in fourth gen what with the abundance and fetish that game has for status ailments, so Snorlax would be just as useless as LickyLicky since they would never go first. Typically I'll beat up team Galalactic at the valley windworks, slather honey on the three trees that are there, and catch and use whichever tree dispenses the best Pokemon. Wormadam, Vespequen, and Ambipom are all really great options, so I'm happy with any of them. (Aipom is the best though)

Also if you know what you're doing, you'll never have to worry about not finding a Pokemon. Since the species of Pokemon is determined as soon as you slather the bark, (not gender, nature, shiney, or ivs though, so you can save and reset in front of a shaking tree for the right gender of combee or burmy) it also determines if there's going to be a Pokemon when you slather the tree. So after you slather it, just talk to the tree again, and if it says "There is a sweet scent in the air" that means no Pokemon were generated, and you just slather it until it says "The bark is slathered with honey".

I'd honestly love it to come back, but maybe with a MUCH smaller wait time, (maybe three hours) and less moronic rarity rates. (Which were greatly improved in Platinum thankfully) My one big complaint with the honey trees though that nobody mentions is "why the heck can't I get Teddiursa in the honey trees?"

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Yes, I've used honey trees to try to catch different Pokémon, but I never tried for Munchlax. However, I did see a wild Munchlax in the Floaroma Meadow honey tree.

Nakala Pri

I just slathered some honey on the tree in the Floroama Town Meadow. I am gunning for Aipom, my 'lil soon-to-be buddy! :D Now I just reached Eterna City and I have to go ALL the way back to check on it in case it's there. :c That is pretty annoying.

However I do hope honey returns in the future games. It is a test of patience... survival of those willing to wait eight-to-twelve hours to find Wurmple or something. Ugh, now I've made myself mad. xD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Ugh honey. I did it perhaps once or twice but never really did it again. Neat concept but the wait time and making sure that you are back at the right time just killed it for me. I don't see it happening instantly, but even a five minute wait would have been much better than waiting a day to see what Pokemon it is only for it to be a wurmple or a male combee.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I've tried slathering honey on those honey trees before and ended up with some pretty rare Pokemon (but never that elusive Munchlax). It does get quite annoying when you come back to check on the tree the next day to find either no rustling or just a Pokemon you've already caught before. I think Headbutting trees is much more convenient and provides almost instant results as compared to Honey trees. You get quite rare Pokemon too!

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I never tried to butter honey over those trees before :C
I thought the only thing that I would attract would be Combees and Vespiquen. Damn bees..

I should try to see what I'll get out of it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I never understood it and never used it and still don't understand it really. I just want to get Burmy and stuff, because I don't have any of th honey-tree exclusives. It seems like too much work and I would love a "for dummies" guide for it. I also rarely/never used the head butting trees either, I also thought it was too much work for me. :P and I would say that Heracross fitting into that tree... Who knows. Just another thing that makes no sense but happens anyway.

Back