The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky

I've heard different opinions of this before, but, when do you think someone will be considered to be "too old for video games"? Or, do you think that it doesn't matter, and that it solely depends on their own lifestyle?

What other opinions would you like to share?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:12 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I dunno. We live in a day an age where the young generation grew up with something things that will probably exist through our elderly years, and because of this, I don't think that games will be restricted to younger players when we're older. It would be part of us and our tastes would be tuned to what video games are then. There is no equivalent nowadays with current older people of the technological entertainment we have today, especially in the case of video games.

But, as far as the modern generations are concerned...I'm still not sure. I don't really think there's an age where one should be considered "too old for video games" because I believe that games are both ageless and timeless. At the same time, however, I would definitely double-take an elderly woman playing a 3/DS or a Console/PC game.
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:44 AM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

I think video games will be the typical pastime of elderly persons by the time we are such ourselves. One can never be too old to have fun, but with some genres like multiplayer FPS, one probably can be too old to get far with it, for the same sort of reasons the elderly don't tend to drive anymore: poor reactions, poor eyesight, etc.

Last edited by Cassino; June 21st, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old June 21st, 2013, 06:57 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

Video games are no different from movies, books, TV, etc. They're just an entertainment medium - with no age limit. You don't hear people saying "You should stop watching TV, you're getting too old," so why should video games be different?

The only reason people think that way are because video games are still a relatively new entertainment medium. As time goes on and the people that have grown up with them get older, that mindset will begin to die off.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old June 21st, 2013, 09:12 PM
Purple Materia
Shape the future!
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Careful
No one can be too young or too old for video games. Period.

However, there are some games that you can be too young for; I don't think children should be playing Battlefield, but there's certainly no ceiling for video games. You can be 90 years old and still enjoy video games, and there's nothing wrong with that.

"I have fallen from the Land of Magic. I am Stardust Witch Meruru!"
Combat Arms | Raptr | Hummingbird | Last.fm
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:38 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
I never think that you're too old to play video games, and with some studies saying that video games help stimulate the minds of older players, it could actually be healthy to play them. Now, I don't think that retirement homes should start having Call of Duty parties, but simple things like Wii Sports (as seen in the picture at the top) can keep seniors both active and happy, so if they're having fun, why should there be a limit on how old you have to be?

In fact, there are a few older people in my family that are in their late 60's/early 70's that really enjoy puzzle games and things like that on the computer. I don't think they would ever get into console gaming, but it wouldn't surprise me if our generation are still playing some of the newer things well into retirement.
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:47 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Your never to old for videogames... Well, overall. At some ages it's proably best to let some genres of games go.

If your 80 or so years old, it's probably best that you stay away from the horror games. Games that would strain your body out more then it can, safely, handle.

Come play Runescape
Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:16 AM
Penta Penguin
Sorting out my mental problems.

I don't think anyone can seriously be too old for video games at all. Hell, I think I'd be one of these guys come 2057.

Looking for a scripter desperately for Pokemon Dark Nebula. If you
would like to help, drop me a PM or VM.
It's a Romhack btw.
~Twitter~ ~Youtube RH~ ~Youtube Music~
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links