Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:54 AM
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by elarmasecreta View Post
Looks like this part of the river really dried up. Many trainers rose to the occasion to check it out, who knows, there might something valuable around here.
Lovely map.
Nothing to complain about mapping-wise.
Design-wise though; Why would there be grass in a recently dried up riverbed?
Also: You misused the nothern mountain tile.

8/10
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by tImE View Post
Lovely map.
Nothing to complain about mapping-wise.
Design-wise though; Why would there be grass in a recently dried up riverbed?
Also: You misused the nothern mountain tile.
8/10
What exactly do you mean with the northern mountain tile?
And uhm, about the tall grass, there might've been some sort of vegetation on the river's bottom... I'll see what I can do about it. XD
Old June 18th, 2013, 01:10 AM
tImE

Quote:
Originally Posted by elarmasecreta View Post
What exactly do you mean with the northern mountain tile?
And uhm, about the tall grass, there might've been some sort of vegetation on the river's bottom... I'll see what I can do about it. XD
Nononono, not the tall grass. I'm talking about the GROUND-GRASS.
Normal grass doesn't grow on the rivers bottom.
Tall Grass on the other hand, could be underwater brushes. They are fine! XD

And by the northern mountain tile being wrong I mean this:

The left part is incorrect. - The right part is correct.
Old June 18th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Thanks for pointing that out! I will keep that in mind for the next time. Not planning on putting any more thought n idwas for the river, this map won't be featured in any game. XD
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
Here's my latest map, Urbador Forest:

Spoiler:

It's a dangerous forest home to savage bug-types, and powerful grass-types. Many trainers come here to strengthen the bond they share between their Pokémon and themselves because here, the bond they share is the most crucial thing...
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:25 PM
KannibalKween
Queen of the Dark

Nature: Naughty
These are the first to maps I have made
Blackwater the hometown of character in my game.
Spoiler:

Black water lake
Spoiler:

I am in need of plenty of help so if you wanna help let me know.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=303290
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:23 AM
tImE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
Here's my latest map, Urbador Forest:

Spoiler:

It's a dangerous forest home to savage bug-types, and powerful grass-types. Many trainers come here to strengthen the bond they share between their Pokémon and themselves because here, the bond they share is the most crucial thing...
Looking good.
It's not an awesome map, but it is definitely good.
My only real concern is the fact that you switched the way you map trees from X-shape to straight lines in the upper part. Mixing the styles doesn't look good.

7.5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KannibalKween View Post
These are the first to maps I have made
Blackwater the hometown of character in my game.
Spoiler:

Black water lake
Spoiler:

I am in need of plenty of help so if you wanna help let me know.
Concerning both maps:
You should train more by trying to recreate stock maps out of memory. For example, try to recreate Viridian city without looking at an image from it. Then, after you are done, fix all the errors you got, by looking at an image of the map. This will make you excellent at using tiles correctly and learning basic mapping.
Because right now, you are misusing tiles widely and, no offense, the maps doesn't look that good.

You do have a talent for it though, it is visible. You are doing the concept part properly.
For example, you are doing it right when you place houses with something behind them, like trees or stuff like that, and you don't make the maps too cramped.

You should look for a mapping tutorial here, or in the rom-hacking forums.
I think you can become a great mapper, you just need a lot more training.

I've been doing this for soon 6 years, and I was as bad as you from the start. ;D

Good Luck!

-----------------

Now, onto my own map:

Saffron City from my game Pokemon: Blaze Red.
Spoiler:

Saffron lies in a desert in my game, due to the fact that I find it boring Kanto was left without proper biomes, compared to the newer games.
Old June 21st, 2013, 05:29 PM
KannibalKween
Queen of the Dark

Thank you for the advice and I was wondering if you are willing to share the tiles you used?

Old June 21st, 2013, 09:48 PM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Whoa, looking good tImE! I don't really have anything to add, but, ,personally I don't think a desert suits saffron XD
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:50 PM
tImE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KannibalKween View Post
Thank you for the advice and I was wondering if you are willing to share the tiles you used?
Sorry, KannibalKween, but most of the tiles I use are made by me for my game only.
If you are looking for good public tiles for anyone to use, check out these guys.
Ultimospriter
BoomxBig

Last edited by tImE; June 22nd, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:03 PM
KannibalKween
Queen of the Dark

Its okay and thank you ^.^

Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:19 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
-----------------

Now, onto my own map:

Spoiler:

Saffron lies in a desert in my game, due to the fact that I find it boring Kanto was left without proper biomes, compared to the newer games.
Great Saffron, love it... The Silph Co. however... The shadow is wrong, I don't know if you are a perfectionist or not... Otherwise looks good... I think the PokéCenter door looks stupid, like its on another level to the building itself... Love the cactus tiles.
Old June 24th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalooose View Post
Great Saffron, love it... The Silph Co. however... The shadow is wrong, I don't know if you are a perfectionist or not... Otherwise looks good... I think the PokéCenter door looks stupid, like its on another level to the building itself... Love the cactus tiles.
I agree here.
Every building has a small shadow, yet silph co's shadow is next to nothing, ideally it should be bigger.

Just strollin' to my next destination...
Old June 24th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Quote:
Now, onto my own map:

Spoiler:

Revamp Silph Co., Pokémon Gym, Pokémon Dojo, PokéMart and Pokécenter door. Obviously the perspective problem applies here. The door is modelled at a more linear level, i.e, it looks how it would look if you were looking directly at it. This kind of graphics is good for 3-D orientation (R/S/E uses these kind of graphics). However, the rest of the building(and the map) are modeled more of how they would look if you were looking at them from a height, so it would give more of an "overworld" appearance. This is a typical way of styling 2-D map games (FR/LG uses these kind of graphics). Also the Pokémon Fighting dojo always has its door open, so apply necessary changes.

Already mentioned, Silph Co. building has no shadow. Since it is a tall building, the shadow must reach at least half of the road.

The tiles and the minor revamps depict the Saffron City elements majestically. I can only suggest to keep going and give Saffron City's basic map a little buildup. This looks really good, and I must be giving it a 10/10.

Another problem faced in the map is the desert sand tile. It basically looks like a recoloured water wave tile and fills the small rock-tops without any details. I would like to see more details added, like sand dripping or studded on the mountain walls. One thing I must really give credit for is, the way you handled the detail tiles around the city, like the garbage bin and bicycle stand to packages and garbage bags. It seems like a Saffron City I would like to see.

Another good point is the cactus trees, they look really nice, although can you reduce the density of the desert vegetation? A desert doesn't have too many cacti or any kind of vegetation, in fact. Also add something to top-left, looks a bit empty.

Great job, mate.
~
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:43 AM
WackyTurtle
Developer

At this point in the game, the player has travelled through a desert to reach the Ruins of Almoor.

This is the main hall of the ruins, and you travel into the pyramid to progress.

I'm a little unsure about this map, so some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler:

Old June 29th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyTurtle View Post
At this point in the game, the player has travelled through a desert to reach the Ruins of Almoor.

This is the main hall of the ruins, and you travel into the pyramid to progress.

I'm a little unsure about this map, so some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler:
Not bad, but too much symmetry can be a bad thing... I think if it was less symmetric, it would be better, probably less pillars overall.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:36 PM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire

Route 60, the first route in my game. :3

Just strollin' to my next destination...
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Rayquaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyTurtle View Post

Spoiler:
The map is very nice. I think the symmetry is nice but it could be a bit less symmetrical. And there are waaaay too many pillars, too much empty space on a map is a bad thing but there is almost no space at all with the pillars around.

7/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post

Route 60, the first route in my game. :3
This looks really good. Natural, twisty and lots of unavoidable grassy patches. There are but two things wrong; the colour of the tall grass doesn't blend well with the rest of the map's colours (in my opinion); the other is that there is a small map error where the tops of the trees haven't been added around the middle left side.

9/10
Old July 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM
~Angel~
Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium

Nature: Quiet
Spoiler:

I'm sorta' back for a while with new inspiration to build fangames/actual games (Workin' on a major project comin' in a few years, for whatever generation console.)
But uh, I need opinions on my lousy mapping, mind might I ask give me full opinions on what I can change and modify. Please and thank you ^-^
Edit: I made some changes. How does it look now?

Last edited by ~Angel~; July 4th, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Rayquaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1234 View Post
Spoiler:

I'm sorta' back for a while with new inspiration to build fangames/actual games (Workin' on a major project comin' in a few years, for whatever generation console.)
But uh, I need opinions on my lousy mapping, mind might I ask give me full opinions on what I can change and modify. Please and thank you ^-^
Edit: I made some changes. How does it look now?
There's no problem with being a lousy mapper, you haven't been here in ages. The shadows need to be the same shade of grey and semi-transparent. There is also some empty space. Maybe compress the map a bit. There is also a house in front of the exit.

Your mapping skills will return soon with practice a d support from the game dev community.
Old July 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM
~Angel~
Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
There's no problem with being a lousy mapper, you haven't been here in ages. The shadows need to be the same shade of grey and semi-transparent. There is also some empty space. Maybe compress the map a bit. There is also a house in front of the exit.

Your mapping skills will return soon with practice and support from the game dev community.
Thanks Ray, the house in front of the exit, it's not actually a exit it's in front of, I actually did select the wrong type of house to put there though :I But, anyway, the shadows I shall fix right now. I used old tilesets from Apexin in this along with new ones I'm inputting, the empty space I shall fill now, along with the secondary spot you see the tree's lined up in a complete row, with the gap in it is actually the exit to the town, exiting into a forest (Old style from Dark Earth, the original way I wanted a game to go) through the forest and into the route. (Short route leading to the next town/city.) Thanks for the reply, I shall fix what is needed now.
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Rayquaza.

Here's my new version of Oldoak Town; with less empty space and more of everything else to replace it:

Spoiler:
Old July 5th, 2013, 04:01 PM
nuzamaki90
Knight of The Volt

Quote:
Here's my new version of Oldoak Town; with less empty space and more of everything else to replace it:

Spoiler:
I literally couldn't find anything wrong with this, it looked awesome....Until I saw the Pokemon Center/Gym at the bottom. The map looks great, but the style of the Pokemon Center/Gym doesn't go all that well together with the rest of the tiles.
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:06 PM
WackyTurtle
Developer

Quote:

Spoiler:
This is a very good map, but I agree with Nuzamaki. The Pokémon Centre looks odd and inconsistent with the visual style of the other buildings, particularly the dome (which looks very basic and unfinished). Also, if this is using Essentials then the player isn't going to see the waterfall feature on the left, nor most of the water on the right. I would open up the rightmost fence, allowing the player to surf on that water - perhaps placing an item the other side?

Other than that, nice job, keep up the good work.

Old July 8th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Rayquaza.

Updated Oldoak Town fixing errors and what-not:

Spoiler:
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here