The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:48 AM
molivious
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
1. Both get it, as long as they "showed up" in the battle; If someone holds an Exp. Share, he will also gain all EVs regardless of sending him into battle.

So, for instance, you have two Lillipups you'd wanna train for the ATTACK stat -- by killing patrats. You can both interchange them during the same battle so that both gain EVs on that one pokemon -- halving your training time. Now you have a Pikachu holding an EXP share, whether he participated in battle or not, he still gains that 1 attack EV from Patrat.

(this example does not count pokerus/EV boosting calculations; for that matter, it varies individually)

-----

2. EV training is like training for better stats. You don't really have to start with new pokemon, but you would most likely do because your current pokemon already have messed-up EVs. Also, they/you might be targeting for a beneficial nature, which makes starting over (breeding for a fresh, new poke) more likely to happen.

Doing the EV training post-game also allows access to any area. This makes it easier to find a perfect spot for your EV training.

-----

3. It doesn't happen immediately. Just keep count and make sure you're not losing track. It all adds up once you reach the final level. An explanation would be: your lillipup might not have actually gained an attack stat (naturally) at that level, and that 1 point was most likely from the EVs you've gained.

Unless you really train for more EVs, you won't notice big changes.

tip: EV training could be easier if you find/trade for a pokemon with Pokerus, too. Same goes with macho brace... I forgot about the individual items, but those were better than macho braces... try googling EV items. They reduce 252 pokemon -> 24 pokemon if you're doing things right.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.

Last edited by molivious; June 22nd, 2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:18 AM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Actually, Exp. Share DOES pass EVs along with the experience. So you could backseat EV train something weak no problem. It's far faster if you use a power item though.

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:26 AM
molivious
so much fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinbane View Post
Actually, Exp. Share DOES pass EVs along with the experience. So you could backseat EV train something weak no problem. It's far faster if you use a power item though.
Oh, it seems you're right.

fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by molivious; June 22nd, 2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 03:51 PM
WolfMirage
"Last Raven"

Nature: Bold
i got a problem, my black 2 will connect to my home, but my my diamond and soul silver game will not connect.

any suggestions
Old June 24th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Nuke

Nature: Relaxed
I imagine you have WPA network security like the majority of the world. Unfortunately the original DS only allows archaic network encryption so you have to change your internet network settings to allow your Gen IV games to connect. Black 2 has DSi capabilities so it can connect with WPA security.

If that isn't the problem then I really have no idea, but usually that is the problem.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old June 24th, 2013, 12:57 PM
WolfMirage
"Last Raven"

thanks nuke, by the way do know how to do that
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Nuke

Sorry for the late response, I've only just checked back.

Hopefully you've solved it by now, but if not then you need to find out how to access your network settings. Unfortunately the way to access these largely differs depending on your network provider so I can't really help beyond that.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:51 PM
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
I have been wondering about it and wanting to know if there is or not. I use my laptop every day so I would like to occupy my free time with something Pokémon-related to play with on my laptop.
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
Please remember to use the Q&A thread. I've merged quite a few of your threads with it in the past, so please remember that it's there. :)

Anyway, the only Pokemon computer game I know of is Pokemon Play-It! which is basically TCGO before we even had TCGO. It's pretty fun! But because it's really old, I don't think it would work on your computer now, unless you download a CD-ROM emulator to play. Pokemon Play-It! 2 is actually the better one that you'd want. It's old cards, but this one has more decks to choose from than the first and you can build your own.
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:12 PM
molivious
so much fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloysterOyster View Post
I have been wondering about it and wanting to know if there is or not. I use my laptop every day so I would like to occupy my free time with something Pokémon-related to play with on my laptop.
Fortunately, Wikipedia (click this link) has all the PC games listed. :D

Last edited by molivious; June 29th, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old June 28th, 2013, 12:35 PM
zombie101
Woah

I need a website that lets me play Pokemon. But I can also put in cheat codes. (Just a code where I can have any Pokemon I want) Anyone know?
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Sorry, this thread is for help with Pokemon games, not really for finding a site you can play them. You could always download an emulator, but you'll have to Google one, as well as ROMs for it.
Old June 29th, 2013, 02:52 AM
JesterLegacy
Random Trainer

Do my Pokemon need to be at level 100 in order to be able to get fully EV trained? or can it be fully EV trained at any level?

For example, can a level 58 Mawile get the maximum EV for its stats? Or are there limitations of the EV it can gain due to its level?
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:59 AM
molivious
so much fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterLegacy View Post
Do my Pokemon need to be at level 100 in order to be able to get fully EV trained? or can it be fully EV trained at any level?

For example, can a level 58 Mawile get the maximum EV for its stats? Or are there limitations of the EV it can gain due to its level?
depends on what GEN you're talking about. Actually, check this link. It may already explain everything you wanna know.

Old June 29th, 2013, 12:26 PM
WolfMirage
"Last Raven"

@nuke

i got the clear internet service provider and when we got it all we had to do was plug in the router(nothing to install for router) and we got internet
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:07 PM
molivious
so much fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMirage View Post
@nuke

i got the clear internet service provider and when we got it all we had to do was plug in the router(nothing to install for router) and we got internet
you might want to check [this link].

Yes, i know it leads to another page/link with the actual step-by-step procedure. But if your issue is similar to the original poster of that thread, then by all means proceed to the other link. If not, you'd have to find another.

This is a very old problem and has been fully solved under many situations (by Nintendo themselves). If you could figure out the specifics, or at least more about your problem, such as the error code and whatnot, it would be much easier to find solutions/answers out there.

Last edited by molivious; June 29th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old June 30th, 2013, 01:10 AM
JesterLegacy
Random Trainer

Why does giving 3 irons to one of my Pokemon only increased its def by 3? Aren't it supposed to provide 10 EV each, which means the def should have increased by at least 7?

It's in gen V, by the way.....

Last edited by JesterLegacy; June 30th, 2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old June 30th, 2013, 02:07 AM
molivious
so much fail...

Quote:
Why does giving 3 irons to one of my Pokemon only increased its def by 3? Aren't it supposed to provide 10 EV each, which means the def should have increased by at least 7?

It's in gen V, by the way.....
That's normal, it just means that your pokemon isn't level 100. Remember the +1stat-per-4EV rule only applies to level 100 pokemon. There's a hidden "stat cap" for each pokemon, in that sense. This is the way Nintendo keeps stats somewhat balanced. Imagine a level 5 pidgey having 80 attack without ever battling... lol that'd be weird, right?

So:
Spoiler:
IF 100 EVs = +25 stat points @ lv100...
THEN 100 EVs = +12 stat points @ lv50. (25 / 2 = 12.5; rounded down)

or in other terms @level50, 8EV = 1 point

geeky formula for those interested:
Spoiler:
Code:
  [EV/4]
----------    or     (EV/4) divided by (100/CL)
 [100/CL]               |                  |
                        '--------.---------'
                                 V
                      solve both of these first
where CL = current level

nonetheless, your EVs are still there, and the proper stats will be gained over time.

Last edited by molivious; June 30th, 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:04 AM
JesterLegacy
Random Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molivious View Post
That's normal, it just means that your pokemon isn't level 100. Remember the +1stat-per-4EV rule only applies to level 100 pokemon. There's a hidden "stat cap" for each pokemon, in that sense. This is the way Nintendo keeps stats somewhat balanced. Imagine a level 5 pidgey having 80 attack without ever battling... lol that'd be weird, right?
So...That means those items will not be wasted as all the remaining stats will be distributed when it reached level 100?
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:50 AM
molivious
so much fail...

Quote:
So...That means those items will not be wasted as all the remaining stats will be distributed when it reached level 100?
Yup. That's a simple way to put it. lol

...I was worried that those numbers and babbling would've confused you XD

Old June 30th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Sindrie
Eevee breeder and caretaker
Community Supporter

This is my first thread and I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this so go easy on me... anywho

So I am playing a bug monotype playthrough on soul silver now and I prefer to use "weaker" pokemon because I like the Challenge. So far I am using beedrill and Butterfree; I don't like using the OU dang near broken pokemon (I'm looking at you skyzor...) like most people do so I was looking on bulbapedia and I seen spinarak and ariados who I remember from original gold/silver on gameboy and so I looked up his stats and moves to see if I should use him.

Now I'm not sure if maybe because I haven't used him since I was like 12 that maybe I don't know what i'm talking about... but he looks just horrible. His stat total is 390, now thats not that bad thats actually better than beedrill but where it gets real bad is his learned moveset. He doesn't get a good damaging move until lvl 15 (nightshade) and that doesn't affect normal, he gets sucker punch at 28 but I find it gimmicky and unreliable. At 41 it gets Pin Missile but I personally think thats way too late to get that move it should learn it at level 18 maybe, not 41. Lastly it gets psychic and Poison jab at 46/50 now those are some good moves but not great and also again in my opinion too little too late.

So the real discussion (and or question) is: is Spinarak/Ariados horrible and/or pointless early, mid, and late game? Or am I missing the point of ariados? I want to use him but I don't want a paperweight/experience sponge pokemon all the way till lvl 50.

Moveset
Spoiler:

LVL Move

Start Poison Sting
Start String Shot
Start Scary Face
Start Constrict
5 Scary Face
8 Constrict
12 Leech Life
15 Night Shade
19 Shadow Sneak
22 Fury Swipes
28 Sucker Punch
32 Spider Web
37 Agility
41 Pin Missile
46 Psychic
50 Poison Jab

Last edited by Sindrie; June 30th, 2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old June 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

I personally like Ariados, but it takes him a long time to really get going. He lucked out in Gale of Darkness where they immediately gave Spinarak Signal Beam, which was physical at the time.

But anyway, while I don't consider Ariados the best bug in the world and there are better, if you like the challenge of using weaker bugs, I say go for it. That's coming from someone that likes Ariados though and would use it regardless of wanting challenge or not though, haha. Also take into consideration the TMs that it can learn. The learnset is pretty eh but still.
Old June 30th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Sindrie
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I personally like Ariados, but it takes him a long time to really get going. He lucked out in Gale of Darkness where they immediately gave Spinarak Signal Beam, which was physical at the time.

But anyway, while I don't consider Ariados the best bug in the world and there are better, if you like the challenge of using weaker bugs, I say go for it. That's coming from someone that likes Ariados though and would use it regardless of wanting challenge or not though, haha. Also take into consideration the TMs that it can learn. The learnset is pretty eh but still.
I took the TM's into account but I found that most TM's he can learn are either very late game or just better used on a different pokemon such as sludge bomb, if you are going to use sludge bomb it's going to be on venomoth b/c he has a much higher special attack. Though I agree I do like ariados I like his design a lot (also I think hes pretty cute ) I think his typing is wrong I personally think he should have been bug/psychic.
Old June 30th, 2013, 04:17 PM
JesterLegacy
Random Trainer

Ariados isn't that bad, but yeah, there might be some problems for you because of its moveset, which means the only way to make it better is through TMs, as it only learns decent moves near late game. Why not give sludge bomb to Ariados as well as Venomoth if you really want to use it? Though Ariados' Special Attack is not that high, at least it will still make it better due to the limited amount of reliable moves it has.
Old June 30th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Sindrie
Community Supporter

Quote:
Ariados isn't that bad, but yeah, there might be some problems for you because of its moveset, which means the only way to make it better is through TMs, as it only learns decent moves near late game. Why not give sludge bomb to Ariados as well as Venomoth if you really want to use it? Though Ariados' Special Attack is not that high, at least it will still make it better due to the limited amount of reliable moves it has.
You can get 2 sludge bomb TM's in Soul Silver?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links