Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 11th, 2013 (06:08 PM).
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
At least during in-game play? Any time I try to evade to the max I get hit all the time and when they evade I miss all the time. If im confused I hit myself 3/4 times but when they are confused they can hit me like nothing is wrong with them.

Am I the only one that has this problem
Old June 11th, 2013 (06:32 PM).
Jellicent♀
ღ Fairy Wind ღ
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
This is actually much more of a general discussion of Pokemon gaming, so I'll be moving this to the Pokemon Gaming Central section for now. c:
#427 Buneary
Supporter Collab January 2015
babies l blog
Old June 11th, 2013 (07:43 PM).
Mr. X
For Money
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
It's pretty much a agreed upon fact that in any video game the AI is a cheating bastard.

Come play Runescape
Old June 11th, 2013 (08:36 PM).
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Definitely I think the AI has better "luck," it's to make the game more challenging and interesting. It gets frustrated and too unfair sometimes, but I wouldn't want it easy.
Old June 12th, 2013 (09:25 PM).
Hikamaru
this is all yours
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
For some reason when my moves miss at such a critical time or I hit myself in confusion every single time while the opponent barely doesn't miss or even hit itself in confusion I do feel the AI is constantly stacked against me.
Old June 12th, 2013 (10:14 PM).
Brendino
Thank you Marty!

It always feels like Confusion/Evasion/Infatuation, etc. always works against the player more often than your opponent, but in reality, it's probably just that I remember the times it negatively effected my own Pokemon rather than when it worked on the opponent. And when I actually think about it, I've had pretty good luck when my Pokemon are confused and not hitting themselves.

The Battle Frontier and the PWT, though, they've got to be rigged. Confuse my opponent? No big deal. My Pokemon gets confused? Oops, it hurt itself in its confusion for the 4th straight turn.
Old June 12th, 2013 (10:22 PM).
Hikamaru
this is all yours
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Brendino:
The Battle Frontier and the PWT, though, they've got to be rigged. Confuse my opponent? No big deal. My Pokemon gets confused? Oops, it hurt itself in its confusion for the 4th straight turn.
Yeah the PWT is always never kind to me, especially in the Rental Battles. It's full of opponents that spam moves like Thunder Wave and Double Team. If the opponent gets too lucky, expect me to be a goner lol.
Old June 13th, 2013 (01:01 AM).
Limerent
Community Supporter

Against boss trainers maybe. The regular low joe Pokemon or trainer I seem to have a very good ratio in terms of getting lucky. Also, little is more satisfying than getting a critical match winning blow while confused
Old June 13th, 2013 (01:08 AM).
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
oh totally everytime my pokemon is confused it hits itself more than the other pokemon. Also evading the moves happens alot in my gym battles and leugue 4. it is annoying.
Old June 13th, 2013 (08:19 AM). Edited June 13th, 2013 by JayTheKing.
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

In my current emerald playthrough my opponents can dodge almost every single of my moves while landing critical attacks.
When i land a critical attack it is either on a wild pokemon i am trying to catch and defeat it or when my opponents hp is so low that a crit is insignificant.
At least it seems that now the tables have started to turn

In my current emerald playthrough my opponents can dodge almost every single of my moves while landing critical attacks.
When i land a critical attack it is either on a wild pokemon i am trying to catch and defeat it or when my opponents hp is so low that a crit is insignificant.
At least it seems that now the tables have started to turn

White 2:4814-8483-7594
3DS:4871 4138 8216
Friend Safari:Bug with Combee,Illumise and Heracross!
Old June 13th, 2013 (08:48 AM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Mr. X:
It's pretty much a agreed upon fact that in any video game the AI is a cheating bastard.
Agreed. Especially Assassin's Creed. The way soldiers see you through pouring rain from a mile away when you're doing a stealth mission xD

But back to the initial topic...confusion? No, from my observations my odds are as close to 50/50 as is possible. And I have a bit of luck in that in Battle Frontier only my Metagross seems to end up confused, and he's so tough he usually pulls through. Or if he doesn't his Choice Band Meteor Mash KOs himself from >half his hp :(
Evasion on the other hand is ridiculously irritating. I once fought a Venusaur (again in Battle Frontier) which used Double Team once then evaded 6 Dragon Claws from Latios. Irritated didn't cut it.

I guess my opinion also stems from the fact that I appreciate confusion as a tactic more than evasion, despite the fact that evasion probably makes more sense.
Old June 13th, 2013 (11:51 AM).
✯Shigeru✯
I Dropped The Lift Key...

Nature: Impish
I seem to have really good luck when it comes to evasion hax but I always go through hell when one of my Pokemon are confused.

Old June 13th, 2013 (12:42 PM).
Turnip
Magnificent Turnip

Quote originally posted by Mr. X:
^ This. Yes.

There's critical hits, too. Oh, the opponent's Pokémon has about 2HP left, and I can faint it with my weakest move? Oh, look! Crit, where've you been all this time?

What? My Pokémon can't take 2 more hits from the opponent, but it can easily take 1 and win the battle? Crit?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? YOU BETRAYED ME!

Anyhow, I usually just save state out of that stuff. Half-cheating beats it any day...

Old June 15th, 2013 (01:34 PM).
PiemanFiddy
Spreader of the T-Virus

I was just fighting Lance in HG/SS the other night, and I was using Confuse Ray at every chance I got, and not ONCE did he actually hurt himself in confusion.. I used Confuse Ray like 6 times. FFS Gamefreak. Balance yo game.
Old June 16th, 2013 (04:41 AM).
Altair
Willpower

I confused a Gyarados with my Misdreavus' Psybeam, not once did it hurt itself out of the four turns when it was confused... -.-
I can't help but think the AI is cheating, there have been many occurrences that the opposition in game defies the odds, this thread is proof of it! ;P
Old June 19th, 2013 (07:28 PM).
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
When opponents start to minimize and double team that ticks me off soooo much! also, confusion, specially when I'm battling competitively makes me so mad!
Old June 19th, 2013 (10:45 PM).
SoraTheTruth

Nature: Naive
When i try to evade or use protect or detect, it fails (thats one of the main reason i focus on offensive) when im confused my pokemon always hurt themselves, when the enemy is confused they always seem to hit my pokemon.
Old June 20th, 2013 (02:47 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I pretty much agree with Brendino's post that I probably forget when it works to my advantage. I also prefer to just use moves that do damage when in-game rather than Confuse Ray/Thunder Wave etc. so I don't use it enough to work in my favour.

Soul Silver is the worst though, I've just finished it for the second time and there's undoubtedly many more paralysis causing pokémon than in any other game in the series.
Old June 20th, 2013 (03:52 AM).
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
I think we can all agree that the other Pokémon is rigged up to get a perfect score against you XD

Well not really. I don't recall any situation in which confusion works FOR me (I know this because of a second person) but I always record the negative ones. It's always like that, it's nature, isn't it? Always focus on the bad and never relish the good.

But yes I still strongly feel that the AI is rigged even though it's making me sound like a complete hypocrite.
Old June 20th, 2013 (03:58 AM).
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
Yes pretty much all the time the odds are against me when it comes to Confusion/Infatuation/Evasion, more like Bad Luck Brian tbh :/

BUT GameFreak could make it less horrible for us by making moves that deal more damage if the user is confused or infatuated, like the effect of Guts but with the "invisible" status problems...
Old June 20th, 2013 (01:03 PM).
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
@Thread Title:

Yes... J, just... Just yes...
Old June 20th, 2013 (04:11 PM).
Ckbruin

YES! Thank you, some other PC members who feel like they get screwed over when we get inflicted with a status!

I've remembered times where my Pokemon were infatuated and wouldn't attack 80% of the time (instead of the purported 50%). I've also remembered when my opponent's Pokemon were confused but hit me 100% of the time for 3+ turns. Or when I miss twice with a 90% accuracy move. Yeah, those times were absolutely horrid. Of course, Brendino makes a good point in that most times we remember losses more than gains (case in point, probably had confusion work for me numerous times but I only remember the times it's worked against me). Loss aversion seems to be a key factor in this discussion.
Old June 22nd, 2013 (09:07 AM).
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Oh, definitely. Confusion, sleep, and full para bother the living crap out of me more than anything else. Inflicting the conditions is its own gamble so I count my blessings if I even manage to do that, but they never seem to stick or function. The enemy always seems to break out of confusion, never hit itself, wake up, or attack normally while paralyzed. I've just learned to not trust status conditions except for poison.
Old June 23rd, 2013 (03:00 AM).
Aslan
the pretender

Definitely. After one Double Team boost, the opponent almost becomes impossible for my Pokemon to hit unless I carry something such as Aerial Ace/ Aura Sphere. It's rather frustrating since even usually 100% accurate moves miss. And then when I attempt to lower the foe's accuracy, they shrug it off casually and proceed to attack with all sorts of things- Fire Blasts, Thunders and for some reason, they still manage to hit while I'm sitting here with my Earthquakes missing. :[

Infatuation has always been the most troublesome one for me. It feels like almost all the time that my Pokemon are unable to move due to this and they rarely attack. Combine that with confusion and paralysis and you've got a kid screaming for ten minutes straight, "STOP HITTING YOURSELF, STOP HITTING YOURSELF, STOP HITTING YOURSELF!".

But I feel like it's meant to be harder for you. It's meant to help turn around a match, to give the game a proper challenge probably. I'm not quite sure but I feel that it's meant to be harder for the player, mainly to make you use strategy etc.
Old June 24th, 2013 (03:16 PM).
Otter Mii-kun
Molly, you're cute ;)

Every time my active Pokémon was hit with paralysis or confusion, more than 75% of the time it would be unable to attack-even though documentation suggests 50%. The battle mechanics are always slanted in favor of the NPC. (Never mind that most video games are rigged much like Dotto and The $64,000 Question anyways.)

Sponsored Links