Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games
Reload this Page [Idea] Not Another Pokemon MMO

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old June 19th, 2013 (09:01 PM). Edited June 25th, 2013 by bradosia.

So I know like at least three gameboy advance sprite based pokemon MMO games already exist, but I was thinking of creating a new game that would be played in the browser and be multiplayer so no software has to be installed. Here is a non-multiplayer demo showing character movement I made yesterday.

(Took down server)
http://140.114.200.149:900/petpal/

It seems that a lot of the pokemon fan games have been taken down recently so this would have a less obvious title like "AnimalPals Online" and use all fakemon and edited sprites.
This game would have movement not restricted to the grid and be devoid of pokemon trademarks like pokeballs and pokemon and instead players will tame wild animals in a parallel world where animals are monster-like and battle eachother.

The battle scene would not be turn based and instead be like final fantasy where moves can be used every few seconds regardless of whose turn it is.

What do you think of this? Would anyone play this or does it seem like the pokemon concept was altered too much to be fun/nostalgic/enjoyable to anyone?

Technical information:
I'm 100% sure this is doable with javascript, html, and PHP. Adobe flash player would be required for socket connections for real time movement. The game would be made by streaming sprites on demand into the browser and displayed via HTML. Most common sprites will be preloaded on page load, but the game might look bad on slow connections.

UPDATE:

multiplayer demo please give feedback.
Old June 20th, 2013 (06:09 PM).
My old account was rpg man. ;p

Nature: Brave
Yea.....No. For the Coding, Not only HTML would be used. For example most MMOs-That are Pokemon Based- Use C++. So unless you found out to use HTML to cover up the movements used by Javascript, the design by CSS, the WHole Base of the coding, is php. I have no Idea how you are going to use just HTML for that. Impossible is what it is. I myself am a Coder. And I know what I am talking about. So I suggest you listen and start learning New Codes.

Old June 20th, 2013 (06:20 PM).
NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!

Nature: Serious
HTML/JS/PHP combination for a game that's not just a text browser game? Hmmm, I have my doubts... JavaScript doesn't seem like a reliable enough tool in order to have a game that big running smoothly, sure AJAX works wonders on websites when well implemented, I just don't think it'd be good enough...

I'd use PHP for the website but not for the game. The game would be run on Java like runescape and minecraft, I think that'd be the your best bet.

Good luck with tho, it's gonna be a lot of work
Old June 20th, 2013 (07:37 PM).

Too bad my URL doesn't work. It was my example of simple character movement with javascript. It was slightly laggy at first, but i worked out the kinks. I'm not sure how it will handle movement of many objects at once.

Ajax won't be used. The flash player will be used to communicate with the socket server that will send the information to the HTML page. The server will run in PHP.

There would have to be a lot of dynamic loading/unloading to make javascript perform normally.

The point of making it a browser game would be to make it more accessible.

Anyways I'll post some multiplayer demo to demonstrate the capabilities.
Old June 20th, 2013 (07:42 PM).
NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!

Nature: Serious
You could bypass it by deleting http://, www. and maybe adding a (.) before com...

I'm interested
Old June 23rd, 2013 (04:46 AM). Edited June 23rd, 2013 by bradosia.

Ok well I made a demo of the game using javascript and PHP.
It kind of lags hahaha. its multiplayer now

Tell me your: "move loss average" at the bottom.
That's basically how much your graphics lag. It has nothing to do with internet connection though.

Notes:
-only works on firefox and chrome
-If you see Error #2048 at the bottom then refresh the browser.
-Use arrow keys to move
-players don't disappear when they leave. refresh the browser if there are too many people.
-need flash player installed

Please give feedback.

Edit: gah should work now I forgot to take it out of sandbox mode. That's why people coundn't connect.
Old June 23rd, 2013 (05:04 PM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

I gave this a brief test. I typically got numbers around 0.5ms, although it fluctuates quite a bit between 0.0 and 1.0. It rarely goes above that, and the maximum I've seen it go to is 1.9ms. Tested in Firefox 20.0.1. There was just my character on the map at the time.

I presume there'd be more lag once the maps get larger and use more graphics/tiles (or will they be pre-rendered?).
Old June 23rd, 2013 (08:13 PM).

Thanks maruno,
it seems 80% of people are getting values from -1 to 2ms which is acceptable. Anything below 10ms is fine, after that the animations will be jittery.

Actually I realized I can reduce the lag by using the HTML5 canvas element and use HTML5 websockets.

After seeing this game: http://browserquest.mozilla.org/
I now know browser MMOs are possible so I'm going to give this project the green light. I'll post the next version later. Also the game server is going down in 3 hours so it won't be multiplayer anymore (not that it mattered, no 2 people were on at the same time)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links