The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky

Advertise here
Just as the title suggests, what video games do you spend the most money on? What I mean is, certain video games have DLC (downloadable content), where you basically spend money to download extra content like new outfits, new stages/levels, and so on.

So, again, which video games did you tend to spend the most money on, and do you remember the amount? What did you spend it on, for that particular video game?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old June 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Pfft, I downloaded a few extra things for Civilization: Revolution, like maps and a few extra wonders. Didn't cost me much though, I think around 7 buck altogether.

Never cared much for DLC to be honest... However, I did bought all the expansion packs for Zoo Tycoon 2. XD
Old June 24th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Purple Materia
Shape the future!
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Careful
I'm pretty sure I've spent around $500 on Combat Arms.

"I have fallen from the Land of Magic. I am Stardust Witch Meruru!"
Combat Arms | Raptr | Hummingbird | Last.fm
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Ckbruin

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Materia View Post
I'm pretty sure I've spent around $500 on Combat Arms.
Same here. This is the only Free-to-Play game I've spent more than $20 on, with maybe the exception of TF2.
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Purple Materia
Shape the future!
Community Supporter Tier 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckbruin View Post
Same here. This is the only Free-to-Play game I've spent more than $20 on, with maybe the exception of TF2.
I only buy perms though... the rest being MYST cases. Really wanted a TRG SE. xD

"I have fallen from the Land of Magic. I am Stardust Witch Meruru!"
Combat Arms | Raptr | Hummingbird | Last.fm
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Xolace
✿♥✿
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Gentle
I regretfully spent over a thousand dollars on MapleStory. Those darn Miracle Cubes were too hard to pass up.

Fortunately when I sold my account and items I managed to make the majority of that money back. I ended up using that money to buy an XBOX 360 along with a 32" TV. n_n

To put things into perspective, my perfect Earrings were worth slightly over two billion Mesos (Money). Two billion in-game was worth two hundred real dollars.

I finally quit when I realized keeping up damage wise was all about how much real money you pumped into your character. Yea...Never again.
Old June 25th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I spent 120 dollars/euros on Pokefarm to get some event eggs.. that's the most money I have ever spent on an game yeah.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
The only game I've bought any significant amount of DLC for is Tales of Graces f. All the costumes and attachments I've bought total to about ~$65. Thankfully, my roommates have chipped in to buy some of them too so I didn't front the whole cost but uhh... we still haven't bought everything and my roommates have expressed interest in completing the set. I think by the end I'll have paid for the game over again in DLC costs. :'( I knew DLC costumes would be the end of me. I tried so hard to resist.

I'm just thankful Vesperia doesn't have as many appealing costumes. I dread Xillia's release in August.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Last edited by Cherrim; July 3rd, 2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: how did that even double post
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:19 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
The only game that I've spent more than $20 worth of in-game purchases was in NHL 11, but I got that game for free, so I didn't mind paying the extra money.

If Grand Theft Auto V has a bunch of DLC (including expansion pack games), I could easily see myself exceeding the $30-40 I spent on NHL. I've already spent $20 extra to get the upgraded edition, and who knows what extra costs there might be when the game finally comes out.
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
If we're going solely off DLC, then the most I've paid is £1.99 to get extra levels from The Room, a 'free' game that gives you one level then forces you to fork out for the rest of the game. Having said that, it was also the cheapest game that I've ever bought, so I'm not sure if it's in the spirit of the question! :P

The most expensive standalone game I've bought was Ni No Kuni for PS3, which was about £55 and is now gathering dust in my bedroom because the three hours I played of it were complete torture. :D
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

Easily Rock Band 2/3. There was much song DLC and a nice chunk of it was so delicious...
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Marisa
I'm in your base, stealing your goods.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Marisa
Battlefield 3...I bought one DLC pack (I don't really buy many downloadable items) and I bought the game a second time after I lost it..other than that, I'd say Call of Duty: Black Ops, as I bought 2 DLC packs for it.
leijon
kimisumi

pairs
family
credit
Old July 5th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Never a fan of shelling out too much money for games. When I played MMORPGs, I tried to make do with the in-game powerups. I also don't like DLC because many companies (EA above all) use it as an excuse to sell an unfinished game.

Compared to 15 years ago, we sure live draconian times. Game companies are trying to make money off everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Not sure how many of you play racing games, but to me it's unacceptable that a DLC contaning a few cars and one track costs up to 10% of the original game's full price. They use our instinct to have the latest prettiest thing to full effect.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

A lot of the RPG and EA games that exist.

EA are EA, you're never gonna find DLC that is well-priced, but FIFA is FIFA and I want a good FUT.

Also, I bought Guild Wars 2 stuff when it was mega expensive and highly demanded game, spent £45 on it but still don't regret the decision to do so.

Last edited by Mr. Avocado; July 16th, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Without a doubt, World of Warcraft. I'd invested about $200 in the original copy and the following expansions alone, then about 2 to 3 years of monthly subscriptions. $20 a month for 3 years... $720. It was a pretty huge dent to my expenses at the time.

Ugh. Never again.

EDIT: Oh, DLC! No, never spent a dime on that.

Last edited by Rest; July 16th, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I don't normally buy DLC for games, as I don't normally like any of it; last game I bought DLC for was Skyrim.
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Veteran, Oracle, Harbinger

I would have to say Mass Effect 3 considering I got not only that for full price on the day of its release but all the DLC for it as well.

Hmph, have you begun to understand pain?
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Sailor Moon ™
Champion of Justice

In terms of actual "Games" - The Sims series. Considering, I've been playing from the original. If my math is correct I've spent about $700 dollars on the entire series, including consoles and handhelds.

(Thinking about it makes me feel awful!)

As for in-game content, League of Legends takes the cake. I've spent about $100 in total.
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

Probably the first Borderlands...I think it's the only game I bought all the DLC for and they were $10 each. I don't normally buy DLC unless it's for an online game that a lot of my friend are playing, and I barely ever play those anymore.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:33 AM
PixelWarrior
Conqueror of Castles

Back when I was in deep with MMORPGs like Maplestory, Trickster, etc. I spent a good chunk of money on them to buff my character. The game developers these days have extremely clever ways of getting more money, haha. Trickster especially was the perfect example of a game you literally could not play without utilizing DLC. I mean, of course you could, but it was a crazy game.

For those of you who don't know, Trickster is an MMORPG that features 6, if I remember correctly, animal-based characters to choose from, which are analogous to classes in other MMORPGs, and you train them to their level cap, which is 400. Quite a steep number, wouldn't you say? Well, when I first played the game, I got my character to 72 before quitting, because the quests were getting confusing. I came back to the game when I heard a new update had made it possible to choose one character and automatically level it to 140, which is a big deal. After I had created my character and used the update to full advantage, I thought it would be a lot easier to finish quests and level up. Unfortunately, I was far off. Even with the level boost passing the confusing and boring part of the game, the characters were still not powerful enough to take anything out in one or two hits. Due to that, DLC was a necessity to progress in the game successfully. I didn't succumb, however, and after grinding to 154 I decided to give it a rest, for good.

In general, I think DLC is going to become the majority of most newly released games and I don't see it ever changing for the better. On the bright side, it's still optional and there will always be the good old games, haha!
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

I usually wait for the game to be released as a collection - Main game and all/most of the dlc.

Come play Runescape
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:48 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Pokémon, Halo and Call of Duty games and Downloadable Content.
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Razer302
Three Days Grace - Break

MMM If we are talking MMO im easy around 10k... Yes 10k on cash shops over 5 years. Its pretty insane and I quit doing that stuff now. I just had to be the best. Totally isn't worth it.

I mean the gear alone cost 1.5k dollars just to make it, and was only available in the cash shop...
Old July 19th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
I've never purchased DLC before, nor have I ever played for an online game. So the most I've ever paid for a game might be the $49.99 for an expensive Wii game.
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:16 PM
sρεcтяα
Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

Send a message via Skype™ to sρεcтяα
I'm ashamed to admit that I buy a lot of DLC - despite hating the practice, remembering the good old days when you bought a game you got the full version - regardless of the price. I'm very selective when it comes to pointless additions (so, for costumes etc I'll only get the ones that I like the look of, and if additional characters have no trophies associated with them I'll ignore them entirely) but I buy most major expansions eventually.

The most I've ever spent on one game to date...probably Borderlands 2. I bought the limited edition and I've bought all the DLC, although I got a season pass, so it was slightly less than what it would have been otherwise. That said, I bought all the Dragon Age: Origins content as it came out as well...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here