The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Trading Card Game

Notices

Pokémon Trading Card Game The forum for the Pokémon TCG and Pokemon TCG Online. Post your deck to get rated, rate other decks, ask questions, talk about strategy, etc.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:18 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Uh... for those I'm not entirely sure. Try an online retailer like TrollAndToad. That'll at least get you one of the art pieces on the booster packs themselves from each set.
Old June 12th, 2013, 02:47 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I'm currently making a Poison deck for myself. And isn't the cycle suppose to rotate soon? So should I keep doing my Poison deck and if so, can I get any tips on making them. Or should I start thinking about making a new deck since it's going to rotate?
Old June 12th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naughty
I just got a set of Black and White ND cards. All fake, but on the pack I noted that there are "better" looking flasher cards then back in the day. How come they wore not included?

BTW I don't know how to play TCG I just scan the images and put them on my wall.

Thanks!!

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
My favorite evolution series

Kiwi Land|Thunder Bolt Forums|ProBoards After Dark|New Zealand

Old June 12th, 2013, 07:24 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
I'm currently making a Poison deck for myself. And isn't the cycle suppose to rotate soon? So should I keep doing my Poison deck and if so, can I get any tips on making them. Or should I start thinking about making a new deck since it's going to rotate?
You should focus on it, but be aware that the likely rotation will most likely rotate the four oldest sets currently legal in the modified format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu View Post
I just got a set of Black and White ND cards. All fake, but on the pack I noted that there are "better" looking flasher cards then back in the day. How come they wore not included?

BTW I don't know how to play TCG I just scan the images and put them on my wall.

Thanks!!
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "flasher cards".
Old June 12th, 2013, 07:36 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Okay, thanks. Do you know when the rotation will take place?
Old June 12th, 2013, 07:52 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

It would take effect September 1st, most likely, unless they decide to hold off until X & Y's sets are released.
Old June 12th, 2013, 07:56 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Thanks a lot

So in your opinion, I should stop buying the older packs in rotation and focus on the newer ones?
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:10 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

That'd probably be a good idea, unless you're looking to complete the original sets, too. I suppose buying Emerging Powers boosters every time you see them, even though it's a bad set competitively other than Catcher, might still be useful simply because of Catcher, though, which may stay legal because it was reprinted in Dark Explorers (the 5th oldest set in the current format).
Old June 16th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Mattso
Unhatched Egg

Hello, quick question. The Kecleon card from the Plasma Freeze set says that Imitack attack can

"Choose 1 of the Defending Pokémon's attacks. If this Pokémon has the necessary Energy to use that attack, use it as this attack."

Does this mean that I have to copy the energy's type as well as the cost?

Thanks guys,
Mattso
Old June 16th, 2013, 08:38 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso View Post
Hello, quick question. The Kecleon card from the Plasma Freeze set says that Imitack attack can

"Choose 1 of the Defending Pokémon's attacks. If this Pokémon has the necessary Energy to use that attack, use it as this attack."

Does this mean that I have to copy the energy's type as well as the cost?

Thanks guys,
Mattso
What it means is that you have to have enough of the correct energy attached to Kecleon to use the attack, meaning that if you were facing a Heatran EX and you wanted to copy the "Heat Boiler" attack off of Heatran EX while using Imittack, you'd have to have 1 Fire energy and 2 energy of any kind to use Heat Boiler. The damage would done would be the same type as Kecleon is, which is where Kecleon's Ability, Color Change, comes into play: Since Kecleon has to be your active in order to attack, your Kecleon's ability turns it into the same type as Heatran EX. It's not the attack that's doing the type damage (it never is in the TCG), it's the Pokemon's type itself that does the damage.
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Keveri
Unhatched Egg

Any European here has a good site to order booster packs/boxes? All american sites charge like $40 for shipping and it'll take about a month to get here...
I went to check the stores irl but a pack is about €4, which is around $5 aka a total rip-off
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:25 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keveri View Post
Any European here has a good site to order booster packs/boxes? All american sites charge like $40 for shipping and it'll take about a month to get here...
I went to check the stores irl but a pack is about €4, which is around $5 aka a total rip-off
If you assume that the cards in your language might actually be printed in the USA (it makes sense that they might print them all in a single plant and then ship them worldwide, given that one of the American error cards of the last 4 years was that a promo Garchomp Lv. X had the German name for Garchomp), then it seems like less of a ripoff and more of a difference due to tariffs and the like.

Have you tried looking on the Amazon site for your country?

Last edited by donavannj; June 27th, 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: replaced "nationwide' with "worldwide"
Old June 27th, 2013, 11:44 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

So I'm running out of space for where to put my cards. I'm thinking about selling my commons to my local card place. I've got cards from almost every pack from 1st, 3rd and 5th gen boosters. Should I sell some of my cards or keep them for their gen value?
Old June 28th, 2013, 05:28 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

You might not get as much as you'd like to get from your commons, but you could certainly sell off your excess ones. To play the game, you of course still need some of your commons around.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

I have the original Computer Search, but seeing as it's not a Ace Spec, does that mean I'm not allowed to use it? It's the only Ace Spec card in my deck tho.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:12 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Per the card rulings on it, you cannot use the old version of Computer Search. You can only use the Boundaries Crossed print.

For other cards that I am aware of that you cannot use the old prints in the current format, go to this post here:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...25&postcount=6
Old July 26th, 2013, 05:04 PM
PikachuKhoi

I need help on giratina in plasma storm and black kyrem which one is better?
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:49 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikachuKhoi View Post
I need help on giratina in plasma storm and black kyrem which one is better?
Do you mean Black Kyurem EX? That's the only Black Kyurem from Plasma Storm. Or do you mean a different Black Kyurem card?
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Profen

Is it legal to choose to not retrieve energy while using a superior energy retrieval? Even if you have energy in your discard?
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:09 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

As far as I understand it, the way it's worded, you cannot intentionally choose not to pull them, based simply on the card wording.
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Profen

The only thing i see is that you can grab the ones you discard. I hate how vague the card description is. I guess i'll ask the league director or w/e where i go.
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:34 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Well, it doesn't say "may", does it? The word "may" is an indicator of some action being optional. There's also a lack of "up to", which is necessary in cards that pull from the discard pile since the contents of your discard pile are considered known.
Old August 29th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Bumfluff1202

Nature: Timid
Hey guys, now for the ones who don't know I want one of each picture pokemon ( card set codes etc dont bother me) and I as looking through my gen 1 folder and I noticed I had a 1st edition Machop common non shiny etc and a normal exactly same card code and picture. I have noticed this with a few ie eevee and exeggcute are a few other examples. So my question is, is it worth keeping them in my gen 1 folder to make my collection look a bit better kinda thing? Or would they be worth more in trade? Or would no one actually care?

Thanks. Hope someone understands my confusing question
Old August 29th, 2013, 05:47 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

1st Edition commons are typically not worth much more than their counterpart cards from the "unlimited" print runs. It'd come down to how much that individual collector covets 1st edition cards.
Old August 30th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I'm about to start looking into playing the Pokémon TGC but I've got a question first - I was looking into ban lists and saw this;

Quote:
There aren't banned cards. You can use any officially released card.

However, there have been a multitude of sets released, and usually only the most recent cycle or two are tournament-legal. If you're just going to play with friends, get whatever you want, but try to get them from the same 2 or 3 sets that were released in a row; if you want to play in tournaments, you probably want to start getting the Legend series as soon as it comes out.
So two questions - does the TGC have an official ban list and as regards only using the 2 or 3 most recent sets, does that mean buying cards from earlier sets is pointless or are they still usable against newer cards?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links