The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Beta Release: Before First Gym, or After?
Before (Current Progress) 1 33.33%
After (Next Town) 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:30 PM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

Nature: Quiet

Advertise here
Hello PC, my name is Mark, and I'm currently working on a project called Pokémon Neo Destiny. I am using the Pokémon Essentials v12 kit for RPG Maker XP. I chose to start making this game due to both a love of the Pokémon series and a small bit of experience with RPG Maker 2003. While I am slightly more accustomed to using 2003, XP isn't too foreign to me.

Plot
Spoiler:
After the events in Pokémon: The First Movie and Mewtwo Returns, Mewtwo (the original Team Rocket created one) has grown tired of trying to find a place to fit in. Mewtwo decides to request a meeting with the most powerful Legendary Pokémon: Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Regigigas, Heatran, Shaymin, Arceus, Zekrom, and Reshiram. During the meeting, Mewtwo explains that it and its fellow clone Pokémon are having an extremely difficult time fitting in and wish to create a new region where the clone Pokémon can live in peace, away from persecution. After much discussion, the Legendaries decide to allow Mewtwo a region of its own, where it can govern and protect its clones, along with carefully selected humans who will be permitted to live in the region. However, the Legendaries demand that Mewtwo allow non-clone Pokémon to live in the region, to be fair to all Pokémon. Mewtwo decides to name its region Genesis, due to it being the beginning of a new life for Mewtwo and its clones. However, with the sudden appearance of a new region in the Pokémon World, a familiar character's memory of Mewtwo is restored, and a powerful grudge against the Genetic Pokémon is planted in the character's heart...

Features
Spoiler:
After finishing the main story, the player will be able to access a "familiar" region, along with certain "Region Preserves" where the player will be able to catch Pokémon from other regions that don't appear in the Genesis Region. Also included will be special cameos from familiar characters from the Anime, including but not limited to Ash, Brock and Misty.

Notable Trainers
Spoiler:
Rival
Spoiler:
Samantha
- An alternative-style, quick-to-act girl that lives next-door. Her family moved to the Genesis Region at Mewtwo's request, similar to the player. She's the player's best friend, and acts as a sort of guide to the Genesis Region.

Gym Leaders
Spoiler:
Vincent
- A loving, caring father. Vincent is the Leader of the Elderberry Town Gym. His grandparents are the Day Care Couple. Vincent specializes in Baby Pokémon. The Trainers in his Gym are his children, who use Pokémon given to them by Vincent. Defeating him grants you the Pacifier Badge, and TM90: Substitute.
Serj
- A hot-headed vocalist. When not performing at gigs around the Pokémon World, he can be found at the Mulberry City Gym. He specializes in Electric Pokémon. His Gym Trainers are his fellow band members. Defeating him grants you the Shock Badge, and TM34: Shock Wave.
Briar
- The brother of Hoenn Gym Leader, Flannery. Briar is more confident and laid-back than his sister. He specializes in Fire Pokémon. He has a single Gym Trainer in his Gym in Mombin Town. Defeating him grants you the Boil Badge, and TM61: Will-O-Wisp.
Sandra
- An archiologist from the Sinnoh Region, currently runs the Watermelon City Gym. She studied under Byron. Sandra and her Pokémon lead numerous underground expeditions throughout the Genesis Region. She specializes in Ground Pokémon. She has 7 Trainers in her Gym. Defeating her grants you the Tunnel Badge, and TM26: Earthquake.
Walter
- An old-school pirate, previously known as Captain Razor Tooth. Walter gave up his swashbuckling life after many years on the sea, and took up a more reserved name. He docked his old pirate ship in the Genesis Region, where a city was errected and took its name from his ship, Nautious City. His Gym is aboard the Nauticail, his signature ship. He specializes in Water Pokémon. He has 5 Trainers on his ship, who are also members of his crew. Defeating him grants you the Crossbone Badge, and TM55: Brine.
Karukei
- A master of the shadows. Karukei is a ninja-in-training. Previously tutored by Koga of Kanto, she now lives a solitary life, mastering the art of Ninjutsu by trial-and-error. She specializes in Dark Pokémon. Her Gym in Dragonfruit Town contains 3 Trainers, who are hidden throughout her dojo. Defeating her grants you the Dread Badge, and TM79: Dark Pulse.
Angela
- A mysterious, young girl. She was raised by Fairy-type Pokémon in the Kalos Region, she moved to the Genesis Region after Mewtwo came to her. Her Gym is in Plantain City, a city built among the trees, not unlike Fortree City in Hoenn. Her Gym contains 2 Trainers. She specializes in Fairy Pokémon. Defeating her grants you the Fey Badge, and TM83: Recover.
Levi
-Levi is the cousin of Johto's Elite Four Member, Will. Unlike Will, Levi actually is able to manifest psychic abilities. His Gym is located in Starfruit City and contains 4 Trainers. He specializes in Psychic Pokémon. Defeating him grants you the Third Eye Badge, and TM3: Psyshock.

Pokémon League
Spoiler:
1st - Conner
- A tough, middle-aged man. He specializes in Steel Pokémon.
2nd - Krys
- An arrogant, cold-hearted, beautiful woman. She specializes in Ice Pokémon.
3rd - Altair
- A cool, ex-fighter pilot. He specializes in Flying Pokémon.
4th - Kotone
- An eccentric, young woman. She specializes in Bug Pokémon.
Champion - ?????
- A mysterious character who appeared when the Genesis Region was created. He specializes in his favorite Pokémon, not any specific type.

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Kiwi Villiage, the starting town. Kiwi Villiage, Route X1, Coconut Town, and Route X2 will be located on an island to the Southeast of the mainland. They will be connected to the mainland by a water route, and an undersea tunnel.

Route X1. Simple straight route.

Coconut Town, the first town you visit on your journey. In the center of town is Coconut Well, where the player will receive their first "quest". A woman asks the player to rescue her daughter, who has fallen down the well.

Coconut Well. The player will have to travel the perimeter of the well to reach the woman's daughter, who is cornered by a wild Gastly, who is fabled to live in the depths of the well.

Route X2 (so far). The entrance to Zoantharia Tunnel is blocked by an old man who will only move once you obtain...something. Also, north of Route X2 is a water route, that (clearly) is not complete yet. Also, it isn't numbered yet.

Zoantharia Tunnel. You'll see two familiar characters here. The tunnel is also pitch-black in-game. You'll have to find Flash in order to properly navigate the tunnel.

Elderberry Town. Location of the Day Care Couple, and the first Gym.

Route X3. Semi-rocky route. Most tall grass is found in the valley section. Also, the player first sees Headbutt-able trees here. A familiar character is blocking the cave in the valley, until the player receives 3 badges. This route has a chance to see rain.

Route X4. Contant thunderstorms ravage this rocky route. Many Electric-types are found here. Also, a special event takes place at the top of the peak, once the player obtains Rock Smash and returns to this route.

Papaya Town. This town overlooks Antien Canyon. It is also where the Tree Guy lives. The Tree Guy gives the player HM01: Cut, and also offers to teach one of the player's Pokémon Headbutt. The player's Rival is waiting in the Tree Guy's back yard for a second battle with the player.

Progress
Spoiler:
Story (25%)
Mapping (17%)
Graphics (75%)
Post-Game Content (2%)

Credits (So Far)
Spoiler:
RPG Maker XP, developed and published by Enterbrain
Pokémon Essentials v11, originally created by Poccil, currently under management by Maruno
Sylveon Sprite, created by Kyle Dove of DeviantArt (kyle-dove.deviantart.com)
Genesect Overworld Sprite, created by Sarena Kimura (speedvore) of DeviantArt (speedvore.deviantart.com)
HGSS Overworld Sprites, ripped from Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver by Wichu of PokéCommunity (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=60387)

Credit for HGSS Tiles and other downloaded tiles go to:
Dewitty
Prince Legendario
Kymotonian
Alucus
PokemonGaiaProject
Calid Projects
Bulbapedia.net
Neo-Spriteman
Crazyninjaguy

Last edited by XmarkXalanX; August 9th, 2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Reworking First Post
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:58 PM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

Just updated to v12. Lost all my scripts. >.> Luckily, there wasn't too much custom stuff implimented just yet. So, I should be able to quickly recover my progress in that department. On another note, my maps and events were pretty much spared. So, I believe I will just add the custom content as I get to it, which, hopefully, won't be for a little while. Also, screenshots should finally be able to be posted. So I will be updating the first post with the first batch of screenshots. :D
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Great plot, I was hoping for HGSS graphics but, that's fine... Looking good so far
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:01 PM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

I plan on switching to HGSS graphics in time. FRLG graphics are just so much easier to use at the moment, since they're included in Essentials.
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

Nature: Adamant
It looks good for a start, but why is an entire house made using events?
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:33 PM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

It was the only way I could get the lab on the dock. Grass tile set for the 1st layer, water on the 2nd, and the dock on the 3rd. That used up all my layers. I haven't figured how to keep from using events to make the lab yet.
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

If I recall correctly, only the ledges of the water are transparent. Try putting the water on the first layer and moving the dock to the second. If it interescts with the ledges, put the dock on the third layer; if the water is on the first layer, you should have no problem getting the lab on the dock.

EDIT: I opened up Essentials and see that the water tiles have no need for transparency, so they can be put on the same layer as the grass.

Last edited by Ęℓαчиıı; June 25th, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:52 PM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

Thank you for the suggestion. It was a temporary fix until I was able to work it out, but it looks much better/cleaner now.

Old June 25th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

Yes, it looks much better now!

When it comes to RPG Maker, layering can be very annoying all on its own. When you come across a problem such as that, try shifting tiles around on different layers. :3

Also, another suggestion is to keep the dirt paths equal lengths; in your case, they would two tiles wide in each direction. The map looks good for a starter town! If you need any supporter userbars or banners, just let me know~
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:04 PM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

I like the one-tile width of my paths. Haha. The only spots in the village that are two wide, are right in front of the buildings, kind of like a driveway/patio-type spot. I dunno. I feel it looks alright. One thing I'm going to be changing with this map is the rocks in the water. They're too even right now. And yes, the layering is quite the hassle. I had quite a bit of trouble on one of my post-game maps I was experimenting with. Userbars/banners would be great! I would really appreciate that!
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:02 AM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

I'd like to share that we now have a fully-filled Genesis PokéDex! Here are a few screenshots from the PokéDex, in-game.

Spoiler:

Screenshot showing the Eeveelutions as the first 9 entries in the Genesis PokéDex. Note: there are 245 Pokémon in the Genesis PokéDex.

Screenshot showing Jigglypuff's implimented Fairy-type. I created the Fairy-type icon myself.

Screenshot showing Marill's implimented Fairy-type.

Screenshot showing Gardevoir's implimented Fairy-type.

Screenshot showing which Starter Pokémon will be included in the Genesis PokéDex. However, you will not be receiving any of these Pokémon from the region's Professor. Instead, they will be wild Pokémon. However, I will not be releasing just where these Pokémon will be found, that's for you to figure out.

Screenshot of a placeholder sprite for Shellos's Genesis Sea Forme. I know, it's a bad splicing job, but it'll serve it's purpose until I can find a spriter to make a proper one. Also included in Neo Destiny will be other Formes for Shellos and Gastrodon. These new Formes include a Kanto Sea, Johto Sea, Hoenn Sea, Sinnoh Sea, and Unova Sea Formes. I have a Hoenn Sea sprite ready to be added, that I am using with permission from Ian Godakloo (http://masteralltro-n.deviantart.com/).

I've also been playing around with HGSS tiles I found online (don't know who ripped them, and not sure if going to impliment in game yet or not. If I choose to use the tiles in game, I will find who ripped them, and give proper credit.) Nickalooose stated that he would've prefered HGSS tiles for Kiwi Village, and I personally agreed with him, however, I wasn't sure if I could get the same feel for the village with them as I do with FRLG tiles, but I decided to give it a go anyway. And this is what I ended up with.

Spoiler:
Before (FRLG Tiles [Included in Essentials])

After (Using HGSS Tiles [Found online; credit will be given if I choose to impliment them])

I would greatly appreciate your input. Afterall, creating games is all about making the players happy. Also, I would like to add that I am considering looking for a spriter, to help with my new formes, new items, and possibly tweaking the tilesets to give the region more of a tropical feel.

Edit: The length of the Genesis PokéDex will most likely be changing. I forgot to add a few Pokémon that I had originally planned on being included in the region.

Last edited by XmarkXalanX; June 26th, 2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Adding Text
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:17 AM
joeyhugg

I would love to sprite for you! I am on a cruise right now, and wifi is $20 an hour, so I'll pm you when I am home.
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:25 AM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
I would love to sprite for you! I am on a cruise right now, and wifi is $20 an hour, so I'll pm you when I am home.
Of course. Do you have some examples of your work?
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

The newer village map looks good, but the darker forest trees don't blend in with the bright grass. Also, the tree branches need to be added in... they look a bit barren with out them.
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:43 AM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ęℓαчиıı View Post
The newer village map looks good, but the darker forest trees don't blend in with the bright grass. Also, the tree branches need to be added in... they look a bit barren with out them.
Thanks. Yeah, I forgot the branches. Haha. It was just a test anyway. I'm still debating using HGSS tiles anyway.
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

I'd just say map what you're comfortable mapping with. c:

I personally use HG/SS tiles myself, and if you do decide to use the said tiles, I'll help you find some.
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:47 PM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

Thanks. I actually just finished downloading a bunch of HGSS tiles compiled by Neo-Spriteman. I believe they'll work for now. I'm going to be playing around a bit with them over the next few days to see what works.

Edit: The only thing I'm really having trouble finding are door animations in HGSS-style, tropical tiles in HGSS-style, and desert tiles in HGSS-style.

Last edited by XmarkXalanX; June 27th, 2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Adding Text
Old June 27th, 2013, 06:33 PM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

I've got a few test maps for the underwater tunnel connected Coconut Town/Route X2 to Route X3/Elderberry Town. Elderberry town will be the location of both the Daycare Center (Yay for Baby Pokémon!), and the first Gym, which specializes in, not a type, but Baby Pokémon. However, I've yet to plan out Elderberry Town, let alone map it, so don't be expect to have a Alpha/Beta release anytime soon. Haha. However, without further delay, I bring you the first test versions of Zoantharia Tunnel!

Spoiler:

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Your mapping is a bit bland.
It's all square like, and there's so many empty spaces, and you've got 1 tile paths, which are bad and feels too cramped.

Do you want some help mapping? I'd gladly help if you need it.

The bell chimes again...
November 2014 ~ Chime Version Returns.
Old June 28th, 2013, 04:24 AM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post
Your mapping is a bit bland.
It's all square like, and there's so many empty spaces, and you've got 1 tile paths, which are bad and feels too cramped.

Do you want some help mapping? I'd gladly help if you need it.
I appreciate your suggestion. I realize my mapping is somewhat bland. I'm still fairly new to the whole thing. Mostly, I'm just playing around with the tiles to see what looks decent. However, considering Pallet Town, Littleroot Town, Twinleaf Town, and Nuvema Town, you'll see that quite a few official starting towns are blocky. So that's not too much of a problem in the beginning.

Thanks for offering to help with mapping. If I decide I need help, I'm be sure to send you a PM.
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:24 PM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

So far, I've got the starting town, the second town, the first two routes, and two caves completed. My question now is this; do you think that's enough for a first beta release? Or should I wait until I finish up until the first badge, which is right after the second cave? Also, a couple maps are still in FRLG tiles, while the majority of the maps are in HGSS tiles. If anyone can point me in the direction of good inside tiles in HGSS-style, I would greatly appreciate it.

I would like to add that considering this is my first game, there will be a lot of errors. But I am more than open to criticism, so if I release a beta, please don't hesitate to tell me what I can improve on.

Edit: I've updated the first post with the most recent screenshots of Kiwi Village, Coconut Town, Coconut Well, Route X2, and Zoantharia Tunnel.

Last edited by XmarkXalanX; June 30th, 2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Adding Text
Old June 30th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Lolling at myself... Every time I look at your pictures, I look away and look back, then try opening an event haha.

Your maps look a little plan, Kiwi town and Coconut well, most notably... Add flowers or rocks.
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:06 AM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalooose View Post
Lolling at myself... Every time I look at your pictures, I look away and look back, then try opening an event haha.

Your maps look a little plan, Kiwi town and Coconut well, most notably... Add flowers or rocks.
Haha, yeah. It's just a lot easier for me to just Print Screen the maps from the events page. But, I took your advice, and added a few more flower patches (of differing colors) to Kiwi Village, and other maps, and a few more rocks to the well. I don't want to add too many rocks to Coconut Well though. It might get cramped after a while. I tried making the maps less symetric, so they weren't as plain. But, hopefully, they'll look alright in game. Haha.
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Faore
:D

Great job! At the top right of the cave map looks a little.... wrong xD.
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM
XmarkXalanX
Shadow Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faore View Post
Great job! At the top right of the cave map looks a little.... wrong xD.
Which cave map? And what do you mean?

Edit: NEVERMIND! I understand what you meant. Fix is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Zoantharia Fix.jpg‎  

Last edited by XmarkXalanX; June 30th, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here