The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 27th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Aurora
PokeCommunity's edgelord

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora

Advertise here
Do you know any programming languages? How skilled are you at these respective programming languages? Why did you pick up these languages?

If you don't know any, do you plan on learning one eventually? Which language(s) do you plan on learning? Why do you want to learn these languages?

I don't know any languages right now, but I'd like to pick up Javascript and C++, with Ruby / HTML / CSS as afterthoughts.

Javascript knowledge would help me out in programming for Pokemon Showdown, while Ruby sounds like an interesting language. C++ is a major, major language, and HTML / CSS would let me design websites and markup stuff for people on request.
Old June 28th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
C# is my most used language.
I know some of C, C++, Java, Delphi, Javascript, XML, HTML and CSS.
I study IT so all of this is compulsory and C# is best for me.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Purple Materia
Shape the future!
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Careful
So far of all programming languages I've been in contact with, I'm really only comfortable with Python. Then again, I've really only been around Python, PHP and Ruby, but I still enjoy using Python. I'm also quite familiar with HTML and CSS but they don't technically count as programming languages.

I will start using Java in the upcoming semester, so we'll see how I like that.

"I have fallen from the Land of Magic. I am Stardust Witch Meruru!"
Combat Arms | Raptr | Hummingbird | Last.fm
Old June 28th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Tsutarja

Nature: Jolly
I currently know PHP to an extent, and I wish I could learn javascript for web development.

Also, I wish I could learn C#/C++/VB.net to make and compile my own programs for personal use. I'm planning to study computer science and perhaps go into a career of programming.
Old June 28th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Dangelitus

Nature: Modest
Some time ago I tried to learn some about programming languages, but my indiscipline make some hard to learn it XD.

For what I know, C and C++ are languages more versatily, but more hard because the syntaxis, and in some forums i have heard that Phyton its better to learn, because its more friendly.

I don't know if HTML is considering a programming language, but in case it is, in years ago i learnt to make web pages with the notepad (yay), but i have forgot a lot of it, besides now there are a lot of programs can help you to make webpages.

But in a future i will try again to learn some languages, maybe I'll do with phyton again or C ++
Old June 28th, 2013, 08:59 AM
R.F.
Badass Overlord

I've seen a lot of different languages, but those I used most are C++, C#, Java and Haskell. Besides those I've used Phyton, Ruby, Perl, C, HTML, Bash and others a little bit but not enough to be able to use them properly.

In the moment I've begun using Java again, in combination with gdx libraries, just for fun.
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F. View Post
Haskell.
Oh, I totally forgot about this xD Even though I tried to forget this ugly period of my life... xD
I'm surprised someone else had experience with Haskell :D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old June 28th, 2013, 04:40 PM
obZen
Kill Your Heroes

Nature: Lonely
The first programming languge I learned in college was C++. Everyone told me that C++ is a terrible language for beginners.
I took Java in high school, but I vaguely remember it. C++ was fun though. I kinda wanna see what the other languages are like. (I wanna try C)

SlimShady on Serebii and Ever Grande City * obZen on Pokemon Showdown
Click here if you want to join ^
Old June 28th, 2013, 04:40 PM
obZen
Kill Your Heroes

The first programming languge I learned in college was C++. Everyone told me that C++ is a terrible language for beginners.
I took Java in high school, but I vaguely remember it. C++ was fun though. I kinda wanna see what the other languages are like. (I wanna try C)

SlimShady on Serebii and Ever Grande City * obZen on Pokemon Showdown
Click here if you want to join ^
Old June 28th, 2013, 10:25 PM
srinator
Learning the ways of pokemon
Community Supporter

i know a fair amount c++ and html , i do know mySql (if that counts) .

personally i like c++ a lot
+Winry: im not done yet
Old June 29th, 2013, 12:27 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
I've learnt a lot of languages from uni (I majored in physics and computational science for my bacholars). Some of those that I learnt didn't get into too complicated concepts though (one subject was basically a crash course in learning something about 10 different languages @_@).

At the moment I'm most comfortable with Python as that's what I'm using atm with my project, along with SQL. (Yay database querying =p). I also know some C, Fortran90, Matlab (which isn't too much of a programming language but rather useful in its own right for computations), PHP, Actionscript 2.0 (back from high school days, works kinda like C in a lot of ways), and enough html/css to be able to make a simple website.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
The BBS Forums!
Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!
Home of Wynaut? Webzine; looking for contributors!
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:30 PM
codemonkey85
Software Developer

Nature: Mild
The language I use the most now is C++. I've had some experience in VB.Net, C#, and Java. I personally never liked Python much, and I've been thinking lately of jumping into PHP or C (or both).
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:49 PM
ganesha
The Graphical Master

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ganesha Send a message via Yahoo to ganesha Send a message via Skype™ to ganesha
There are so many languages for programming like C++, C, COBALT, JAVA etc

I'm haven't learned any of these and I would slowly learn C++, JAVA. I have slight touch with HTML and I'll improve it further adding CSS in the list.

Old June 30th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Alex
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I've used VB.NET for years, but recently I've been porting all of my applications into C#, since I really like its formatting and structure better.

In my freshman year of high school I was trying to get a compiler to work on my school-issued PC and downloaded a tiny C compiler, and also ended up getting a whole new perspective on how methods, structures and functions work (and how the thousands of structures and functions included in Visual Studio aren't included in the machine's code obviously). I've also enjoyed taking a hand at PHP, designing a few cool scripts from scratch.

Right now though, C# has become a mainstay because of the new project I'm writing in it.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:26 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I'm more of a C++ person, though I can handle Visual Basic, Visual Basic.NET and Python if I need to.

To be honest, I really prefer the way things are handled with Visual Basic.
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:29 AM
CrowSvenson
DarkTrainer

I know C++, but I'm rather attached to D. I tried Java, but I dislike it.
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Polarcola
Booted out - don't be like me!

I know HTML and a bit of PHP.
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:15 AM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I have some training in R and C++.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links