The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Subsonic
Safe in My Hands

I've also heard that prop 8 was dismissed due to lack of foundation. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I've been reading about on the internet.

Credit: Allstate + Eli Lieb
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
This came from the DOMA thread, and I just posted there. I do feel that droomph is being harassed though, but I'm not going through that on this thread.

First Snow, you just effectively justified prejudice by saying "just cuz I'm gay". I thought this thread was about overcoming prejudice, not well we've been oppressed over thousands of years and so we deserve a slap on the wrist. That's just plain ignorance to me.

Prejudice is stupid. It's when you don't like something, so when it shows up a big red flag pops up in your brain and shuts it down. Is that something worth justifying? especially when you can use your brain and read critically and analytically to learn what the person is actually talking about? We want to overcome prejudice because it prevents us from being that wholesome, rational, and reasonable person that we usually are. Prejudice is a person abandoning their reason and defending prejudice is defending abandoning reason. Let's not.

And I think what is going on with Prop 8 is as follows: a couple of gay couples sue against it, and California refuses to defend. The question is whether or not petitioners who support Prop 8 should be allowed to appeal on the behalf of California. The decision was no, they shouldn't be allowed to do that. And so Prop 8 falls because nobody is defending it. That's the legal gist of it, but yeah the concurring opinion said that petitioners don't have in stake in it, or injury blah blah blah.
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:11 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Snow View Post
I've also heard that prop 8 was dismissed due to lack of foundation. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I've been reading about on the internet.
Well, as soon as DOMA got struck down, approximately 100% of its foundation was removed.

And guess what happens when you take away 100% of a foundation?

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph
I'm sorry. But is this a gay people thing, to hate on religious people blindly? Because if that's how it is, I then revoke my support of gay marriage. If you won't treat everyone with equality, then you don't deserve equality.
bye.

--------------------

In other news, Australia has had some step forward in the fight for gay marriage! Our Prime Minister Julia Gillard was just ousted from her post by our former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, who seems to have had a change of heart in his absence and wants to see gay marriage move forward. He's now pushing for a conscience vote (or even a referendum) to make it happen!

Unfortunately the election is in like 2 months and there's no way he's gonna win because this government has screwed up so much over its 6 year run, so he's unlikely to get a chance to make it happen, but it's still encouraging to see.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:36 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
bye.
But tell me, is this a gay people thing to hate on religion? That's ironic, how you guys would accuse others of doing something but doing the same thing to the people you accuse.

This is just frustrating, the amount of "blah blah blah I can't hear you" I'm getting.

Old June 28th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Xolace
✿♥✿
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
But tell me, is this a gay people thing to hate on religion? That's ironic, how you guys would accuse others of doing something but doing the same thing to the people you accuse.

This is just frustrating, the amount of "blah blah blah I can't hear you" I'm getting.
I'd like to believe that a good portion of this can be attributed to the deep hatred a lot of religious people have for anyone who doesn't abide by their Gods "rules".

One hatred can cause an innocent person so much pain and suffering. As a result a new hatred is born.

Look at it this way. X Attacks Y because Stone Cold said so. Y goes through hardships for something it can't control due to X's actions. Y now hates Stone Cold for influencing X to perform said actions.
Old June 28th, 2013, 10:47 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolace View Post
I'd like to believe that a good portion of this can be attributed to the deep hatred a lot of religious people have for anyone who doesn't abide by their Gods "rules".

One hatred can cause an innocent person so much pain and suffering. As a result a new hatred is born.
But couldn't I be treated as the beginning of a new trend? A new beginning.

Forgiving is not forgetting. It's, in fact, remembering. It's to remember what was done wrong, and to allow them to try again.

I want to start a new trend, where everyone gets along. A new trend where everyone treats each other with the aforementioned forgiveness.

And where better a place can we start than here?

The American Revolution may have officially started on a battlefield, but to the people, to which it mattered, it started in their communities, in their homes.

So we should start the same way. Who cares that this is just a Pokémon forum? It's just as good a place as whitehouse.gov. Let's try treat each other like we get along, and discuss where we don't get along in a manner in which we try to understand why we don't get along. This has nothing to do with ideologies, or religion, but rather because I want a better world and this is where I want to start.

Old June 28th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Let's try treat each other like we get along, and discuss where we don't get along in a manner in which we try to understand why we don't get along. This has nothing to do with ideologies, or religion, but rather because I want a better world and this is where I want to start.
We were already getting along in here, until you came in and started asking if it was "a gay people thing to hate on religion".

If you were reacting to the term "Bible-thumper" (which was the only mention of religion before you brought it up), then you should know that it isn't descriptive of all or even many religious people. It only applies to those who try to force their opinions onto others just because a book said so. To be honest, that kind of people shouldn't have any influence on anyone, not because of what they believe, but because of their attitude and ignorance. The problem is that, in many places, they do have influence - they're the reason anti-tolerance laws like DOMA exist in the first place.

As a member of staff, I'd like you to drop it before you take over this thread even further. If you don't want to let go, then please talk to another member of staff before carrying on.
Old June 28th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

It makes me kind of disturbed to come back to something like this. :\

On another hand, I think I may be misunderstanding Prop 8 theories.. Did someone say the main reason it was given up on was because of lack of funding?

I've been gone for a while lol
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Prop 8 was defeated because the State of California refused to defend it when sued, and the court found that petitioners in favour of Prop 8 are not allowed to appeal on California's behalf, and so it will be lifted shortly because there may be another rehearing.

I hate to double post, but I found this on reddit and thought it was worth sharing and bumping. Apparently the following email was sent to American military personnel:

Quote:
Secretary of Defense Statement:
"The Department of Defense welcomes the Supreme Court's decision today on the Defense of Marriage Act. The Department will immediately begin the process of implementing the Supreme Court's decision in consultation with the Department of Justice and other executive branch agencies. The Department of Defense intends to make the same benefits available to all military spouses - regardless of sexual orientation - as soon as possible. That is now the law, and it is the right thing to do.
"Every person who serves our nation in uniform stepped forward with courage and commitment. All that matters is their patriotism, their willingness to serve their country and their qualifications to do so. Today's ruling helps ensure that all men and women who serve this country can be treated fairly and equally, with the full dignity and respect they so richly deserve."
Pretty cool no? Not the most expected eh?

Last edited by Kanzler; June 28th, 2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 28th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Brynjolf

So a TL;DR of the email is basically "Prop 8's not cool. If gay people fight for the USA they should be able to get rights, too"??
Old June 28th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Well for me it's much more than a tl;dr, because then you'd miss what I think is the significance of the statement. This is coming from what used to be don't ask don't tell, don't forget that. It's not only rights, but dignity, respect, and equality, and the Secretary of Defense made quite the statement in that respect. It's not that gays earn rights through shed blood. Not only do gays deserve the same rights, but everybody is brothers and sisters in arms through the strength of their character and their love for the country. And it's DOMA too.
Old June 28th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Brynjolf

Oh I do understand it's about the rights and freedom, justice, liberty, equality, and all the sensitive stuff. I know that there is a deeper meaning to my stupid TL;DR, but I was just asking if I had read the statement correctly.

This is a huge step anyway. :D
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Esper

I just ran into a huge Pride parade in London. I didn't realize theirs was the same weekend as the one in San Francisco. And since I fly into SF tomorrow I'm going to get to see two huge parades back to back. And people in both places have a lot to be happy about this year. I feel like we're in the middle of history right now and it's kind of exciting and humbling.

deviantart blog pair
Old June 29th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I just ran into a huge Pride parade in London. I didn't realize theirs was the same weekend as the one in San Francisco. And since I fly into SF tomorrow I'm going to get to see two huge parades back to back. And people in both places have a lot to be happy about this year. I feel like we're in the middle of history right now and it's kind of exciting and humbling.

It would be interesting to compare Pride in London to SF's XD ours will look tiny in comparison!

I kind of wonder when the expiry date on Pride will be... I mean, if more equality laws get passed then many countries/states will be majority pro-gay.

Will we need Pride then?
Will we just pick one day for the year?

I suppose one advantage of Pride is that it brings in a lot of money, and awareness. Could be a great fund raiser for countries where LBGT rights are being chipped away even further.
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Brynjolf

Has anyone here actually ever been in a pride parade?

I have no interest in going to one. It looks intimidating. And I don't feel as if parading around naked wearing only an LGBT flag around my torso while throwing sparkles at people is really necessary to show my support. (lol exaggeration but yknow. I'd rather just donate to something or be silent on DoS)
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Me too. I cannot take the fabulousness. It's great to see someone who's more ... uh conservative! like me. You know that's the proper word for it. But yeah, spectacle isn't for everybody.
Old June 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

Nature: Quiet
I actually went to PrideFest here not too long ago. I found it quite fun actually. The parade was in the morning though so I didn't see that.
Old June 29th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Brynjolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
Me too. I cannot take the fabulousness. It's great to see someone who's more ... uh conservative! like me. You know that's the proper word for it. But yeah, spectacle isn't for everybody.
Yes, this is the very reason I can't enjoy things like parties or big get-togethers. I'm not fond of crowds or loud places, and I do not enjoy being rambunctious, so usually things like parades and parties do not present themselves as enjoyable to me at all.
Old June 29th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Inkblots

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
It would be interesting to compare Pride in London to SF's XD ours will look tiny in comparison!

I kind of wonder when the expiry date on Pride will be... I mean, if more equality laws get passed then many countries/states will be majority pro-gay.

Will we need Pride then?
Will we just pick one day for the year?

I suppose one advantage of Pride is that it brings in a lot of money, and awareness. Could be a great fund raiser for countries where LBGT rights are being chipped away even further.
I get the feeling pride parades and events will be around for a long time to come, even if it's just as a celebration of all that has been accomplished, and a reminder that we should never judge people by the things they were born with. After all, we do still have such things as Black History Month.

And, of course, legal equality does not automatically mean social equality. Just think about how many racist people there are still in the world, even in countries where equal rights have long been established for people of all races and religions.
Old June 29th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Glad I missed the religion argument. I mean, good luck arguing for religion against me. >:]

.... (cries at the ghost of the Atheist Alliance)

Going to the Pride parade tomorrow with a buddy of mine.
Old June 29th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Brynjolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
Glad I missed the religion argument. I mean, good luck arguing for religion against me. >:]

.... (cries at the ghost of the Atheist Alliance)

Going to the Pride parade tomorrow with a buddy of mine.
Oh, tell me how it goes, will you?

I might actually consider going to one later in life.
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

The Toronto parade is pretty tame. Loud, but tame. And it's in two days! wow, time flies. Do I or do I not have time to go... probably not. I have fencing, but it's an hour later than usual... meh I'll do the same thing I do every year.
Old June 30th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Brynjolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
The Toronto parade is pretty tame. Loud, but tame. And it's in two days! wow, time flies. Do I or do I not have time to go... probably not. I have fencing, but it's an hour later than usual... meh I'll do the same thing I do every year.
A tame parade I could handle. Also, is fencing that swordfighting thing some people do?
Old June 30th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Bumi

Good afternoon everyone!

I'd like to join this club. It will be my first club on PokéCommunity too. Here is a little bit about myself:

I'm a nineteen year old FtM (female-to-male) transsexual from Virginia, USA. I go by male pronouns both online and offline, and have been living/passing as male for several years now, despite still residing at home while I attend community college. I'm also gay; I'm in a relationship with another new member to PokéCommunity. Neither he nor I are "activists" per say. We watch the news and take notice of big things happening in the LGBT community, but for the most part, we try not to concern ourselves with political affairs. Despite us being gay we are also more interested in transgender issues than we are "gay issues", since gender identity is ... slightly more complex.

Later on in the day I'll see if I can drag him in here as well. Until that time, though, it's just me. How is everyone doing today?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links