The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 27th, 2013, 06:24 AM
TreeKangaroo
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nature: Naughty
I feel you totodile. I have a lot of favorite games too.
Old June 27th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Materia View Post
Don't even get me STARTED on this game. I spent WEEKS tracking it down, until it popped up in a local Gamestop.

I love this game... I really need to set some time to play through it. I remember playing through it when I was a lot younger and I loved it almost as much as FFVII, but I think the fact that there were so many endings made it feel like an incomplete experience. But still, amazing!
The endings aren't too important. They only matter when it comes to the final boss of one of the post-game dungeons (Urssa Cave Temple). If you get Fayt's solo ending then you have to fight Fayt and Luther, but if you get an ending with another character then you have to fight Fayt and that character. It's definitely not worth it to get Nel's ending, though. Fayt/Nel is the only combo that I have more problems with than Fayt/Luther. Everybody else is really easy.
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Sagiri

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

This is one of the few direct sequels that I would say improved upon their predecessor in every way. OoT was a long and revolutionary game, but the characters and story are so boring that I couldn't bring myself to care about it.

Banjo Kazooie & Banjo Tooie

By far the best platformers I've ever played. Great controls, awesome level design, and insanely memorable music. Plus, they're incredibly hilarious.
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Aeon
Dayum, son. Where'd you find this?
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
It's currently an ongoing battle against Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Banjo-Kazooie, but for me leaving one out it just wrong.

Pair
AlexAhnon
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:40 AM
SoraTheTruth

Nature: Naive
Call of Duty: MW3 (over run by black ops 2 campers now)
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Kingdom Hearts Series
"Tales of" series
Borderlands 2
Naruto Storm 3
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Platinum
Sonic Adventure 2
DBZ: Budokai 3
Skyrim 360 version
Old June 28th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

I have a lot but I'll narrow it down to two. My two favorite games would have to be Pokemon HGSS (DS) and Smash Bros Brawl (Wii).

I decided to include HGSS in my top two because I seem to play it a ton. G/S/C were my favorite Pokemon games, and Johto is my favorite region ever, so naturally you would guess I love HGSS. Also, it introduced just a lot of awesome new features like the follow-me and triathlon. I replay this game the most out of all the Pokemon games.

And Smash Bros Brawl is pretty self explanatory. It's just a kick-ass game. The characters, stages, story mode, etc. So much to do. And the online play is top notch (most of the time) and I can just spend a lot of time playing it. It never seems to get boring to me. Now I actually want to play it right now lmao.
Old June 29th, 2013, 05:26 PM
TreeKangaroo
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Lucky you have AC:NL I want it so badly. D:
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
My favourite game is a three-way tie! It's between Grandia, Digimon World and Borderlands 2. Each have flaws such as Grandia's grinding system, Digimon World's infinite number of glitches, and Borderlands 2's petering story line towards the end, but I think these are my top three games of all time. They're very diverse games from each other but I enjoyed each one immensely and they each have countless replay value; but maybe not once you've only just completed the story haha. An honourable mention goes to H.E.D.Z which would be my number one favourite game since it's incredibly intuitive and extremely fun to play, but the huge amount of glitches and bugs ruins that. :p
Old June 30th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Starfury
dear, only you don't know.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Materia View Post

I don't care what anyone says. Fanboys praise this game to high heaven and trolls rip it apart.

I grew up with this game. I was around 8 or 9 when my cousin gave it to me, and I played it with my brother until I reached a certain point where we just couldn't continue. Although I was too young to really grasp the story... I felt a strong connection to it. The graphics, the battle system, the Materia system, the music... oh my god, the music. I remember playing Smash Brothers Melee while listening to the world map music. I would have the sound for my PS2 plugged in, and the Gamecube would have the video plugged in. I would park my party in the world map and listen to it while playing. I would enter a battle and do nothing just to listen to the battle music.

Everything about this game I find perfect. The storyline had the right amount of everything. I connected with every character, and I felt like I was a part of the journey. I remember crying my eyes out in the scene that everyone should know about. I didn't like Aerith any more than Tifa (in fact, I MUCH preferred Tifa; I thought her and Cloud held far stronger chemistry due to their history) but I still liked Aerith. It made me despise Sephiroth.

Every time I play through the game, I notice something I didn't notice in a previous playthrough. Little tidbits about the translation, real world connections, cut data... something always intrigues me about the game, and playing through it every time is still a unique experience.

Sure, it has it's flaws. Every game does. And even if I take off the rose coloured nostalgia goggles... I believe it's perfect in every way shape or form, and I have yet to encounter a game with such emotion and character. This is my favourite game of all time, and it will be forever
You... You've touched my heart. I couldn't agree with you more. My sister says I'm addicted. Maybe I am, because it's just so wonderful. I enjoy its mix of realism and fantasy, the characters are great and the music is to die for! And yes, I think Cloud and Tifa a best suited together. I don't really have anything against Aeris, but I'm just more of a Cloti fan. Aeris should be with Zack, imo.

VMFAMILYPAIRCREDITPM
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Epickid

Nature: Brave
Definitely Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. It's so amazing, great graphics and story, unbeatable online multiplayer, and all you could ask for in a PS3 game.
P.S. Xbox SUCKS!!!
Forever Ratchet & Clank fan.

Old July 10th, 2013, 07:28 AM
ReeDim
Pokémusician (H4XH4X0R)

Nature: Relaxed
My favourite game always changes, but after downloading it through PlayStation Plus, my current favourite is also Okami, or more specifically, Okami HD.

It was a couple of months ago that I downloaded it, because being around this board and other forums (I admit, I used to play FeralHeart, and it was on that forum that I first heard about the Okami franchise), I found out about it and looked into it, but it was pretty expensive at the time, and then one day, a YouTube ad popped up and showcased Okami on the PSPlus list, so I downloaded it to try it out.

To put it simply, I was not disappointed.

I've knew about Cel Shading for a while in video games, but Clover Studio pulled off the graphics style in the classic Japanese Sumi-e style, which works so well with the base concept of many Japanese legends combined. I also think I have learned a lot of Japanese mythology from it.
Also, it looks stunning in 1080p, and I'm glad Capcom released it in HD.

After I've completed it (I've only just restored Sei-An City), my favourite game will probably change again, as I'm just that sort of person who doesn't stick with one game or genre.
My favourites may change later on in the year, because I am hyped about the eventual releases of Pokémon X/Y, GTA V, Saint's Row IV, and Battlefield 4.

<-- Ferry to Hoenn
<-- Hype train
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Nil Nuane

Nature: Relaxed
A tough call between Final Fantasy tactics, Majora's Mask, and Metroid Prime. FFT has my favorite story and music of any game, MM has my favorite gameplay, and Metroid Prime has my favorite atmosphere and graphics.

Can't go wrong with any of them really.
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:41 AM
ShadowE
Competitive RTS gamer, also drunk
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
My favorite game is and will always be Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun, simply because it was my childhood. I didnt played the popular games everyone played at school. Instead i went home and played this game. It got me into RTS games and modding them. Even now im still playing and modding it.

The graphics may be old, the gameplay is just lovely, the game is pretty balanced (even if it doesnt look like it is) and requires a lot of anticipation (as with most RTS games).

I bought it since it came out, then i 'rebought' it by buying The First Decade and now its released as free. One of the best RTS games IMO
Old July 11th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Mr. Avocado
Shall We Begin?
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Aha, choosing a favorite video game is a challenge, I can tell you that for free.

But out of the ones I've played I can give you a few titles I have crazy enjoyed; FarCry 3, Battlefield 3, Metro 2033. Yeah, they're my top 3, it's hard to choose more than them, after a 3 month video game absence it's not easy to remember what games I've played. But I remember them so they must be good, right?
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:22 AM
lauerolus

FEAR. Mind blowing graphics and effects at the time, perfect use of audio pacing, and it still has the best FPS AI to date.

Oh, then there that creepy Alma. Always around the wrong corner, always waiting for you when you least expect it.
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Olli
I wanna see you be brave
Community Supporter

Eh, as anyone who's read my post in this forum would probably know, I'm a huge Legend of Zelda junkie, so it probably shouldn't be a surprise that it's an LoZ game that's my favourite. And I already stated which my favourite Zelda game was in another thread, so I guess I'll just repeat out from that.

Majora's Mask is my favourite game of all time (at least so far :p), and probably will continue to be for a while, unless Nintendo manage to bring something truly amazing out with the Wii U. Despite thinking it was only a demo at first, and being stuck for a long, looong time, because I had so much trouble with just the first area, it eventually came to be my favourite game of the franchise. I'm actually pretty proud that I managed to get all masks on my own, without any help, because I often find myself guilty of using a walkthrough whenever I get stuck, so when I look back at all my old games and find that I've actually beaten or gotten far in so many of them, I get kinda surprised :p But yeah, I revisited the game quite a few years back, and noticed a lot more details that I'd never noticed before.

So basically, back when I first played through it, I didn't really pay attention to the whole message of the game, I wasn't quite as drawn by the dark atmosphere of the game, and all in all, I only cared about beating it, but that was mostly due to the fact that I didn't understand a single thing in the game. Playing through it again, learning of exactly what was happening and realising all the small details of the game, it's certainly been one of the most captivating games. Unlike Ocarina of Time which seemed to focus more on the gameplay, this game focused mainly on the environmental details, the atmosphere, and basically capturing the player in all of this, and it actually made me enjoy the game even more. Being under a time constraint, and constantly feeling how the end of the world got closer and closer with each minute that passed, and how the moon grew bigger and bigger with each day. It's just.. they just did everything right in that regard.

The gameplay was also superb, but then again, it was essentially just a copy of Ocarina of Time when it came to the gameplay, so no wonder :p But I really liked the dungeon designs of this game, all the sidequests were mostly enjoyable, and the transformation masks omgggggggggmmgjfsdfhdhf. I just loved rolling around as a Goron, swimming around as a Zero, and... nah, being a Deku Scrub wasn't quite as enjoyable as the others, but I just really liked the idea, and how it was used in the leading quests that gave you access to the dungeons, and how it felt like each mask gave you so much more to do. Yet another thing they got right. And the use of the internal clock to incorporate the 3 days system- one of the things that made the game as awesome as it is. And while I did find it to be annoying at times, because it forced me to be on schedule with things AND THAT'S ONE THING I'M HORRIBLE AT, it definitely didn't make it any less awesome. And for what I've heard, it was initially supposed 7 days, which I would've loved to see, but I think it'd be kinda tedious, since it'd probably mean a lot of waiting around for certain events. But still, it'd mean there'd be so much more to do in the game. But since they only had one year to make the game, I'm glad they settled for 3 days, because I feel like it would've significantly lowered the quality of the game, if they tried to put too much into it with too little time, instead of just polishing whatever they had. But yeah!

There's not much to say about the story honestly, because most of the game is actually side-quests, which each bring out their own little stories. But the general story is:

A lonely Skull Kid gets possessed by Majora's Mask, after he tried wearing it. The mask uses him in dooming Termina, by having the moon crash down into the Clock Tower after 3 days. You arrive in Termina in a search for "an old friend", presumably Navi. As always, you have to save the day, this time by making your way through 4 temples, to acquire the help of 4 giants, to stop the moon from crashing into the Earth. Afterwards you go beat up the Mask.

Yeah, not that much story over it really, but again, with all of what the general atmosphere of the game, the gameplay and the side-quests bring you, the story isn't really that necessary for the game to still be great, and what we have is quite enough.

But yeah, I think I've tl;dr'ed enough, and even if it may not still be clear to why it's my favourite game, it's just a personal preference. Some may enjoy the story of Ocarina of Time more, or the gameplay of Skyward Sword more, but I just feel like the atmosphere that Majora's Mask brings is really a good selling point, and combining that with everything else the game offers, it's just amazing. I know that Twilight Princess tried to bring forth the same dark feeling, but it just felt kinda forced, where as in MM it was kinda subtle, and as I said, I didn't really notice it as a kid, which just made it all the more surprising :p
Old July 19th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
My favorite games were the ones I played on the Nintendo 64 when I was younger. Super Mario, Yoshi's Story, Bomberman. I know they weren't the best games--especially when compared to today's standards--but it was at this age that I could enjoy games to their fullest.
Old July 19th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Tsurera
Sculptor

Nature: Brave
I have a lot of favorite games... XD

Final Fantasy VI & VII, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Super mario world, Smash bros brawl, animal Crossing (DS), Tetris attack, Phantasy Star 4, Elder Scrolls series, Castlevania SotN, Fallout 3, Disgaea, Layton series, BoF2, PSO, Okami, Sim city, Rollercoaster tycoon
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:27 PM
Nakasu
Key To The Truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the best game in the Sonic series next to Colors

US 3DS Friend Code: 0318-9290-5472
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:29 PM
Dragon
ロイヤル ファミリー

Nature: Modest
This thread is over a month old, so, try not to bump threads like this next time, but, feel free to make a new one. :3

*locks*

Sponsored Links