Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

 
 
Thread Tools
  #3976    
Old June 29th, 2013 (7:03 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler Kanzler is offline
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 5,734
The Toronto parade is pretty tame. Loud, but tame. And it's in two days! wow, time flies. Do I or do I not have time to go... probably not. I have fencing, but it's an hour later than usual... meh I'll do the same thing I do every year.

Relevant Advertising!

  #3977    
Old June 30th, 2013 (9:24 AM).
Jasper's Avatar
Jasper Jasper is offline
C'mere, brat
 
Join Date: May 2011
Nature: Brave
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
The Toronto parade is pretty tame. Loud, but tame. And it's in two days! wow, time flies. Do I or do I not have time to go... probably not. I have fencing, but it's an hour later than usual... meh I'll do the same thing I do every year.
A tame parade I could handle. Also, is fencing that swordfighting thing some people do?
  #3978    
Old June 30th, 2013 (9:24 AM).
Bumi's Avatar
Bumi Bumi is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Good afternoon everyone!

I'd like to join this club. It will be my first club on PokéCommunity too. Here is a little bit about myself:

I'm a nineteen year old FtM (female-to-male) transsexual from Virginia, USA. I go by male pronouns both online and offline, and have been living/passing as male for several years now, despite still residing at home while I attend community college. I'm also gay; I'm in a relationship with another new member to PokéCommunity. Neither he nor I are "activists" per say. We watch the news and take notice of big things happening in the LGBT community, but for the most part, we try not to concern ourselves with political affairs. Despite us being gay we are also more interested in transgender issues than we are "gay issues", since gender identity is ... slightly more complex.

Later on in the day I'll see if I can drag him in here as well. Until that time, though, it's just me. How is everyone doing today?
  #3979    
Old June 30th, 2013 (1:21 PM).
Jasper's Avatar
Jasper Jasper is offline
C'mere, brat
 
Join Date: May 2011
Nature: Brave
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumi View Post
Good afternoon everyone!

I'd like to join this club. It will be my first club on PokéCommunity too. Here is a little bit about myself:

I'm a nineteen year old FtM (female-to-male) transsexual from Virginia, USA. I go by male pronouns both online and offline, and have been living/passing as male for several years now, despite still residing at home while I attend community college. I'm also gay; I'm in a relationship with another new member to PokéCommunity. Neither he nor I are "activists" per say. We watch the news and take notice of big things happening in the LGBT community, but for the most part, we try not to concern ourselves with political affairs. Despite us being gay we are also more interested in transgender issues than we are "gay issues", since gender identity is ... slightly more complex.

Later on in the day I'll see if I can drag him in here as well. Until that time, though, it's just me. How is everyone doing today?
Hello :D Welcome to the LGBT club

I'm glad you decided to join the discussions. I'm positive you'll get tons of support here, and lots of familiar people you can talk to

I dunno about everyone else, but I'm doing great :)
  #3980    
Old June 30th, 2013 (2:49 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler Kanzler is offline
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 5,734
I just spent the last few hours reading an article about LGBT MP's. For all you Americans out there, there have been 7 since 1983 (you don't count until you're out). The most remarkable conclusion for me was how their mere presence can open the door to legislation getting passed, due to familiarity with both their co-workers and the voting public. Also, the fastest growing group of LGBT MP's are Conservative parties, but over the long run the party ideology with the largest number of LGBT MP's will still be SocDem, Socialist, and Green Parties - the Conservative parties are playing catch-up.

What's also interesting is that out of the 62 out LGB MP's in the world right now, 41 are elected in rural or suburban districts, while 21 are from urban districts. It's surprising to me because you'd think LGB candidates would be concentrated in liberal, urban districts, but apparently not.

Part of their disproportionate success has to do how few of them there are. Because there's so few of them, they're unable to form voting blocs on their own, and they must make political alliances. This leads to educating and creating working relationships with their heterosexual colleagues, as well as creating familiarity. In contrast, other marginalized groups like ethnic minorities tend to have enough representation to form a voting bloc and keep to themselves.

Also, if you are LGBT and live in Western Europe and is interested in public service as an MP, there is no better time than now. The parties want you.

Anyways, it was political science article so it was mostly about drawing on the study of the representation of women and ethnic minorities to analyze the effects of LGBT representation in legislatures so most of it is pretty dry. And I don't know my terms of service so I probably can't copy & paste. But yes, if you are interested in the impact of LGBT representation in legislatures and society in general, here's some food for thought.
  #3981    
Old June 30th, 2013 (4:20 PM).
Jasper's Avatar
Jasper Jasper is offline
C'mere, brat
 
Join Date: May 2011
Nature: Brave
Posts: 1,766
What exactly is an LGBT MP? I'd read about them but when I type in MP to google it just gives me many random meanings so I have no clue what it is :[

You're saying there are more "MPs" in rural areas (hillbilly farmers against gay marriage type of thing?) which is surprising because there would usually be less support from those areas?
  #3982    
Old June 30th, 2013 (5:29 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler Kanzler is offline
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 5,734
Oh, MP's are ministers of parliament, who in the US would be members of Congress. So lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender they may be, but represent their constituency they still do.

And yeah! Because the LGBT social movement is associated with progressives, which is also associated with urban centres, it came as a surprise to me that around 2/3 of LGB MP's in 2011 came from rural/suburban districts.
  #3983    
Old June 30th, 2013 (6:21 PM).
Jasper's Avatar
Jasper Jasper is offline
C'mere, brat
 
Join Date: May 2011
Nature: Brave
Posts: 1,766
Dude, that's cool! So we have that many LGBT supportive congress members? That's totally awesome :D

That definitely helped put down DOMA and 8 didn't it?
  #3984    
Old June 30th, 2013 (6:45 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler Kanzler is offline
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 5,734
The study was done worldwide, and well, the US tends to be lacking in that department. Whether it help put down DOMA and Prop 8 - those were in the court's hands, but I'm sure the record high 7 members did their part in Congress debating the virtues (or lack of) of DOMA. The good side is that there'll be more in the future - there were only 4 LGBT members of Congress only last year, and now that Republican heavyweights like Colin Powell and Dick Cheney have come out in favour of same-sex marriage, the tide may yet turn. The US is a bit slower than Western Europe (or Canada for that matter), but change is coming.
  #3985    
Old June 30th, 2013 (7:35 PM).
Rai's Avatar
Rai Rai is offline
My profile is broken?
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sinnoh
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 4,507
I am really happy about DOMA. I think it was a big step in the right direction and I hope the LGBT community wins more victories along the way.

But there are still the people who are against it. I heard some woman on the news saying that she hopes God forgives the US for recognizing gay marriage... >_<!
__________________


Pokemon Go Dex: 75
ORAS National Dex: 290

Blog || Fanfiction || Twitter || Tumblr || Instagram
  #3986    
Old June 30th, 2013 (8:06 PM).
Inkblots's Avatar
Inkblots Inkblots is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Nature: Calm
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I am really happy about DOMA. I think it was a big step in the right direction and I hope the LGBT community wins more victories along the way.

But there are still the people who are against it. I heard some woman on the news saying that she hopes God forgives the US for recognizing gay marriage... >_<!
*sigh* Christians like that drive me crazy. They just keep flying straight over the WHOLE FRAKKING POINT of Christianity and diving right down onto little nit-picky details. Really wish they would just sit the hell down and stop making the rest of us look bad.

Or at least stop claiming to be "Christian" while actively hating an entire group of people.

Totally. Missing. The point.
  #3987    
Old June 30th, 2013 (8:27 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler Kanzler is offline
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
But there are still the people who are against it. I heard some woman on the news saying that she hopes God forgives the US for recognizing gay marriage... >_<!
I think these people can be ignored. At this point, it's just meaningless speech. Less and less people are taking them seriously, and screaming louder isn't going to do anything for them. Besides, talking that snidely? Please. I wouldn't take seriously someone who talked like that, no matter where they were coming from.
  #3988    
Old June 30th, 2013 (9:07 PM).
Jasper's Avatar
Jasper Jasper is offline
C'mere, brat
 
Join Date: May 2011
Nature: Brave
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
I think these people can be ignored. At this point, it's just meaningless speech. Less and less people are taking them seriously, and screaming louder isn't going to do anything for them. Besides, talking that snidely? Please. I wouldn't take seriously someone who talked like that, no matter where they were coming from.
Yes, I completely agree with you. Now, with all of us living in the 21st century I highly doubt that this behavior and crude speech will be taken seriously anymore within the next ten years. It seems as if most of the older citizens are the ones responsible for spreading these ideas of homosexuals not being moral. If I'm correct, history repeats itself and we will see this behavior go down like it did with slavery back in the early 1900s.
  #3989    
Old July 1st, 2013 (11:09 AM).
Bumi's Avatar
Bumi Bumi is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
It's certainly easy to ignore what random people on the television are saying, but it's not the same when you know those people personally or you see them in your neighborhood. Same-sex marriage is all over the news, and it's great that DOMA was struck down and all, but all it's done is increase my dad's aggression towards gays. His favorite thing to say is that a bomb should be dropped in the middle of a pride parade.

It's unfortunate that people will continue to insist that being gay is immoral and same-sex marriage should be illegal, because no matter what type of victory we get, those types of people will always put a damper on the mood.
  #3990    
Old July 1st, 2013 (3:57 PM).
Jasper's Avatar
Jasper Jasper is offline
C'mere, brat
 
Join Date: May 2011
Nature: Brave
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumi View Post
It's certainly easy to ignore what random people on the television are saying, but it's not the same when you know those people personally or you see them in your neighborhood. Same-sex marriage is all over the news, and it's great that DOMA was struck down and all, but all it's done is increase my dad's aggression towards gays. His favorite thing to say is that a bomb should be dropped in the middle of a pride parade.

It's unfortunate that people will continue to insist that being gay is immoral and same-sex marriage should be illegal, because no matter what type of victory we get, those types of people will always put a damper on the mood.
Ah yes, I seem to have forgotten about my parents as well.

My mother is tolerant, but my father is not what you could call "lenient" towards gay citizens.

He holds a consistent belief that the only thing President Obama is currently doing wrong is supporting gay marriage and rights, and also has a habit of commenting negatively whenever a gay activist is mentioned.

As time passes, some people have opinions that can eventually turn. Some others are stubborn and will not accept us, but that is the way it shall stay until newer and newer generations come into this world.
  #3991    
Old July 1st, 2013 (7:42 PM).
Inkblots's Avatar
Inkblots Inkblots is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Nature: Calm
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumi View Post
His favorite thing to say is that a bomb should be dropped in the middle of a pride parade.
Wow, that's actually a pretty disturbing sentiment, especially considering the recent bombing at the Boston marathon.
  #3992    
Old July 1st, 2013 (8:08 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler Kanzler is offline
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
He holds a consistent belief that the only thing President Obama is currently doing wrong is supporting gay marriage and rights...
Well it's certainly nice of him to talk about Obama like that considering everything else that's going on at the moment XD

The polls are in: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/03/18/gay-marriage-support-hits-new-high-in-post-abc-poll/

You can check out the trendlines for yourself. Here is a great selection from another article:

Quote:
But supporters of same-sex marriage said the Pew poll reflects a growing acceptance of such unions and a shift in attitudes, as more Americans have gay friends, relatives and co-workers. Pew found that nearly nine out of 10 Americans know someone who is gay, and half said a close friend or relative is gay. The poll said people with gay and lesbian acquaintances are more likely to support same-sex marriage than people who say they don’t know anyone who is gay.

“It’s clear that is not a wedge issue anymore,” said Fred Sainz, a spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign, which advocates changing laws to recognize same-sex marriages. “Not only are Americans supportive of marriage equality, even those who are opposed to it view it as inevitable. That’s a proxy for their eventual support, in my opinion.”

Sainz said opposition to gay marriage often crumbles when people learn how many people they live and work among are gay. “When you get to know them, you quickly find the myths propagated against gay people by our opponents are not true,” he said. “My goal is to get to the point where gay people are thought to be as dull and boring as everyone else, because we are.”
It only gets better. And very soon it will be good enough.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-06-06/national/39776961_1_marriage-equality-gay-marriage-fred-sainz
  #3993    
Old July 2nd, 2013 (6:52 AM).
Bumi's Avatar
Bumi Bumi is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
Wow, that's actually a pretty disturbing sentiment, especially considering the recent bombing at the Boston marathon.
Unfortunately, my father has been repeating this years before the Boston bombing, so it isn't anything new (for him). I find it funny (sad? ironic? unbelievable?) that my dad has at least one lesbian friend. He has admitted that she and her partner are nice people, yet he still continues to make negative comments at home.

I used to think he simply exempted people he knew personally, because he has never commented on my own sexual preference and he actually really likes my boyfriend! I tried to get him to stop making the bomb comment year after year by asking, "What if I was at the pride parade?" His response was "Oh, well, I guess you'll be getting blown up too."

Ouch.
  #3994    
Old July 2nd, 2013 (2:12 PM).
Jasper's Avatar
Jasper Jasper is offline
C'mere, brat
 
Join Date: May 2011
Nature: Brave
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumi View Post
I used to think he simply exempted people he knew personally, because he has never commented on my own sexual preference and he actually really likes my boyfriend! I tried to get him to stop making the bomb comment year after year by asking, "What if I was at the pride parade?" His response was "Oh, well, I guess you'll be getting blown up too."

Ouch.
I almost physically hurt inside when I read that. It's too bad your father can't come around.

It's good that he accepts the couple as nice people though. Even though he still makes negative comments, at least he's not one of the "I don't care if they're nice, all gays are bad" people.
  #3995    
Old July 2nd, 2013 (5:42 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler Kanzler is offline
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 5,734
So one of my friends just came out as trans today! It's been many years coming for sure. She's hot as hell now XD It's nice that she's gonna stay herself, I felt do agree with her in that he played up the stereotypes a lot in high school. Glad to see that things are normal now.

Some good news to offset the bad lately. And I also agree that Glee sucks.
  #3996    
Old July 2nd, 2013 (6:43 PM).
Jasper's Avatar
Jasper Jasper is offline
C'mere, brat
 
Join Date: May 2011
Nature: Brave
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
So one of my friends just came out as trans today! It's been many years coming for sure. She's hot as hell now XD It's nice that she's gonna stay herself, I felt do agree with her in that he played up the stereotypes a lot in high school. Glad to see that things are normal now.

Some good news to offset the bad lately. And I also agree that Glee sucks.
Is she mtf? I'm always so confused by the "he"s and "she"s in trans descriptions. I can't tell which was before or after!

Anyways that is a huge step and I'm glad she's happier.
  #3997    
Old July 3rd, 2013 (6:46 AM).
Bumi's Avatar
Bumi Bumi is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Is she mtf? I'm always so confused by the "he"s and "she"s in trans descriptions. I can't tell which was before or after!

Anyways that is a huge step and I'm glad she's happier.
You are supposed to refer to a trans person as the gender they are physically transitioning to. I'm going to assume (due to the positive nature of their message) that BlahISuck knows this, so she is most likely MtF.
  #3998    
Old July 3rd, 2013 (7:31 AM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler Kanzler is offline
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Is she mtf? I'm always so confused by the "he"s and "she"s in trans descriptions. I can't tell which was before or after!

Anyways that is a huge step and I'm glad she's happier.
I was supposed to respond as soon as I saw your message yesterday with a single "yes" but I was afraid of breaking the 4/25 rule. Here's not not breaking that *cheers*!
  #3999    
Old July 3rd, 2013 (11:06 AM).
Jasper's Avatar
Jasper Jasper is offline
C'mere, brat
 
Join Date: May 2011
Nature: Brave
Posts: 1,766
Ahh, the character rule :p Don't we just love the character rule?

I knew about transgender terms before, but I always get so confused. I knew you were supposed to call mtf female and ftm male, but it was just confusing reading your paragraph because you referred to her as both, lol
  #4000    
Old July 3rd, 2013 (6:05 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler Kanzler is offline
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 5,734
Well, she really played up the gay stereotype before, so that's why I went with he, but just for that one instance.
 
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:29 PM.