Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old July 1st, 2013, 04:16 PM
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com

Nature: Quiet

Advertise here
The Var hack doesn't work. All my scripts only show textboxes, nothing else. It's this one, because I did one at a time.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:06 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Then you have messed something up. Both PJBottomz and I have tested the var routine that is here, and it works exactly as intended. There is also the simple fact that it is virtually identical to the system in Liquid Crystal where it works perfectly too.
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:32 AM
GoGoJJTech

Ok, I think it's me. I have done it 4 times now and made sure the offset ended with C. Then went to the offset and branched with the + 1. I'll just leave it. I came for the flag hack anyway.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:39 AM
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
Actually Jambo, I hate to be the devil's advocate, but I tested the hack again and it screwed up movement commands and the hidesprite/showsprite commands. I'll compare the hex code in LC and the one that gets created when assembling the version itt and see if they match. Maybe that'll shed some light on the issue. I can't find the var hack code anywhere in the current LC beta. Are you positive they actually inserted it?
at some point I must have liked that you look like a taco addict who's had one too many back alley liposuctions

Last edited by Awkward.; July 2nd, 2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Yes, I know it's in LC because I inserted it.

It's not identical, but it's almost identical (the only differences being the length of the memory used (and by extension, the number of vars)).
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:21 PM
Awkward.
#britanna

Huh. Well then... something happened during the transition from LC to this topic that causes the code to screw up. Maybe changing the length of the memory used or the number of vars did something wrong, or maybe it's overwriting the code at a wrong offset. When I looked at LC's hex, there were no changes to the code at the offset 0x6E45C. Maybe it's supposed to go somewhere else?
at some point I must have liked that you look like a taco addict who's had one too many back alley liposuctions

Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:17 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

I just checked it, and there's no differences that could cause problems, except perhaps an oddity where vars lower than 0x4000 would get processed as normal vars. I added extra code to deal with such variables, but those shouldn't cause issues ANYWAY.

Otherwise, all vars are being dealt with exactly as the should, on a logical level, and I checked. LC does have those changes at exactly 0x6E45C, so whichever version you were checking on is, evidently, very outdated.
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Awkward.
#britanna

It was the most recent one on the hack topic, beta 2.2.

Old July 4th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBottomz View Post
It was the most recent one on the hack topic, beta 2.2.
HAHA! Wow, that's VERY outdated. LC is currently on version 3.3.00378 (as of the time of this post).
You can get it here.
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Awkward.
#britanna

Ah, okay, this one has changes. Here's my findings and the comparisons between the hack in a regular FR and in LC. Differences, Pointers.

At 0x6E45C:

Code:
Liquid Crystal

02 48 00 47 04 D8 00 20 58 E0 00 00 79 AD 7B 08
Code:
FireRed

00 48 00 47 01 00 80 08
Clearly, there are noticeable differences. I'm guessing the length of the code in LC has to do with the number of variables? Either way, it still works. When I replace the data at 0x6E45C, I usually notice that the code never hits the 08 in the original game's hex. Meaning, the original code is the exact length of LC's code and the one in the post never gets to the ending 08 byte - it's only halfway there.

At the Pointers:

Code:
Liquid Crystal 0x7BAD78

40 20 00 02 84 42 12 DB 50 20 00 02 84 42 10 DB 25 04 00 2D 0D DB 0A 48 84 42 08 D8 50 20 00 02 24 1A 64 00 07 48 00 19 70 BC 02 BC 08 47 00 20 FA E7 20 04 00 28 01 DB 03 48 00 47 03 48 00 47 62 55 00 00 00 D4 03 02 73 E4 06 08 0D E5 06 08
Code:
FireRed 0x800000

41 22 12 02 94 42 15 DB 22 04 00 2A 14 DB 50 22 12 02 94 42 0C DB 52 22 12 02 94 42 08 DA 07 48 50 22 12 02 A4 1A 61 00 40 18 70 BC 02 BC 08 47 00 20 FA E7 02 48 00 47 02 48 00 47 00 D2 03 02 73 E4 06 08 0D E5 06 08
Here, the differences are less noticeable. One thing I did see was that the code after the DB bytes tended to get out of line after ~the third DB. I'll contribute the length of the entire code and possibly the misalignment to less variables again, but it seems like there's stuff in LC's code that wasn't in the one we're getting.

Old July 5th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

This version has MORE code, as opposed to less. I simply dealt with the upper limit in a different manner in this version by comparison to LC's. It's functionally identical.

Furthermore, the 2 branches are functionally identical, the only difference being where the pointer gets loaded from.

I know you're trying to help me find the errors, and I appreciate that, however, comparing hex code won't help you find errors. Most of the differences are down to minor changes with regards to registers and how I dealt with the upper limit.

I DID however, give you the wrong memory address for it to read from, which probably didn't help (Latest version of the var code only). I've updated the error in the var code.

Last edited by Jambo51; July 5th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Awkward.
#britanna

Now it won't assemble.

The "newline" thing usually isn't a problem, it'll just insert a newline (which doesn't affect anything). I don't know why it says "text" is a bad command though. It was my understanding that that starts off every ASM code.

Old July 5th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

You must've missed the . before the word text at the very start.
Old July 5th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Awkward.
#britanna

Well, the random freezing glitch came back. @_@

Old July 5th, 2013, 04:00 PM
DarkPsychic

Bolt the Flag and Var hack worked fine for me...
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Awkward.
#britanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPsychic View Post
Bolt the Flag and Var hack worked fine for me...
That doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Old July 9th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
That doesn't mean it works for everyone.
True, but when it works for myself, Linkandzelda and him/her, it does imply that the code is sound, and you are simply messing something up. That said, I have no idea how you could mess it up, especially given that you posted precisely HOW to actually insert the ASM.

Are you sure you're using BPRE 1.0? That's the only thing I can think of which could cause the errors you're getting.
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Awkward.
#britanna

Yep, I'm positive. I know that the sign that it's 1.1 is that "Presents" appears on the opening screen right below the Game Freak logo/symbol, and my game doesn't do that.

Old July 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Yep, I'm positive. I know that the sign that it's 1.1 is that "Presents" appears on the opening screen right below the Game Freak logo/symbol, and my game doesn't do that.
There are 2 dead giveaways that you're using FR 1.0. The first is indeed the lack of a presents thing on the Game Freak screen. The second is that Pokédex entries with a space in the species descriptor ("Tiny Bird Pokémon" for Pidgey for example) stop with the space, instead of ending when they should (So it would read "Tiny Pokémon" for Pidgey).

I honestly have no idea why this won't work for you, but I can assure you, I tested the code and it works exactly as intended.

You have used the patch for (or otherwise installed) JPAN's save block extension, right?
Old July 10th, 2013, 03:05 PM
GoGoJJTech

I just tried the Var hack again and The game runs, just you can't move.
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Awkward.
#britanna

Yes, I used the JPAN memory block save patch thing.

Old July 24th, 2013, 01:05 AM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
True, but when it works for myself, Linkandzelda and him/her, it does imply that the code is sound, and you are simply messing something up. That said, I have no idea how you could mess it up, especially given that you posted precisely HOW to actually insert the ASM.

Are you sure you're using BPRE 1.0? That's the only thing I can think of which could cause the errors you're getting.
Count me in aswell. I initially had problems with the very original Var hack, but the most recent one works 100%. I added it to both a blank rom first, and then my actual hack, which has quite a few routines and things in and it still worked fine.

That being said I haven't tried setting any of the vars yet. But the game runs and I can move fine. I'll update this message once I start setting the vars.

EDIT: I've used vars 5000, 5001 and 5002 setting them to different values up to 0x8 and have experienced NO problems.

EDIT2: One thing I have noticed though. Is that with the Flag Hack, a few of the flags aren't working. In the sense that I give them to NPCs, and after the flags are set the NPCs are still visible. So far I've been using flags from 900-915 and the flags that don't correctly turn off NPCs are
901, 903, 904, 906, 907, 90F, 910. These are the ones I know of. Has anyone else been experiencing problems with setting these newer flags?

EDIT3: With further inspection it seems that the range actually seems to be 900-907

Last edited by MrDollSteak; July 26th, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bayerf1 View Post
EDIT2: One thing I have noticed though. Is that with the Flag Hack, a few of the flags aren't working. In the sense that I give them to NPCs, and after the flags are set the NPCs are still visible. So far I've been using flags from 900-915 and the flags that don't correctly turn off NPCs are
901, 903, 904, 906, 907, 90F, 910. These are the ones I know of. Has anyone else been experiencing problems with setting these newer flags?
Interessant. I can't think of any good reason for this to be the case. Perhaps the flag decrypter isn't used when checking NPC flags? Seems exceedingly unlikely, but possible nonetheless. I shall investigate and see what I can discover.
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:55 PM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Interessant. I can't think of any good reason for this to be the case. Perhaps the flag decrypter isn't used when checking NPC flags? Seems exceedingly unlikely, but possible nonetheless. I shall investigate and see what I can discover.

Thanks! To be honest I would blame my scripting first, but I redid scripts which used both hidesprite and setting the relevant flag in the person ID. It would then re-appear after walking away. I'v eeven tried setting it several times in seperate scripts. I also checked the memory viewer at 203C000 and everything was still 00's. If a flag is set should it look any different in the memory viewer? I don't think it's an issue with the patch or the code itself because most of the vars and flags work, and from what I can tell haven't damaged things that were in that range.
Old September 7th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Tavok

Is there any way to make this work in Pokemon Ruby? Or does this work? I am editing that, and I could really use the extra flags :/ Thanks in advance
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here