The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Hikamaru
→ make a wish

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorMash View Post
Ahh cool thanks a bunch man, yeh luckily I do still have my DS Lite with the GBA slot and a copy of Soul Silver, so I think I just need to finish fighting Red and I'll be able to transfer them, cheers for taking your time to answer my question!
Actually, you don't have to beat Red to transfer Pokemon from a 3rd Gen game. You can do it just after getting the National Dex in HG/SS (or D/P/Pt, if you see all Sinnoh Dex Pokemon). Just further clarifying this.

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old June 30th, 2013, 06:29 AM
SidTheSloth

I have ordered a copy of Pokemon emerald, and I was wondering what you guys think which starter would be the best, and team. If you want to suggest a team for me (:D). Please tell me the Pokemon movesets too.

I want to use Salamence, gardevoir, and maybe mudkip (but if any starter is better tell me please!)
Also make sure all the HM's are included in the movesets

Thanks!
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:00 AM
ggrr

The best starter is mudkip because of it's stats and with its typing grass is its only weak point.

Old June 30th, 2013, 11:57 AM
xGal
du bist n00b

Nature: Bold
I would definitely go with Mudkip because of ground as it's second type. The rest of the team would be Metagross, Flygon, Salamence, Heracross and Starmie.
Old June 30th, 2013, 10:48 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSloth View Post
I have ordered a copy of Pokemon emerald, and I was wondering what you guys think which starter would be the best, and team. If you want to suggest a team for me (:D). Please tell me the Pokemon movesets too.

I want to use Salamence, gardevoir, and maybe mudkip (but if any starter is better tell me please!)
Also make sure all the HM's are included in the movesets

Thanks!
You don't need a copy to play Emerald you know but ah well I suggest you choose Mudkip as your starter then in the future have this team : Swampart, Manectric, Salamence, Metagross, Aggron and Shiftry
Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
I was wondering if anybody had any insight on buying these games on ebay? (or amazon)

I made the mistake of buying Leaf Green and Emerald from ebay before and they turned out to be fake copies. (The stickers weren't metallic and they were harder to fit into my ds than my own gba cartridges)

It's been a while since I learnt that lesson and I'm not completely put off....but I don't want to rush into it this time.

Is there anything I could do to increase my chances of getting a legitimate copy?
Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:05 PM
Jak
greatest of heroes

Nature: Timid
There is a guide on fake games in the FAQ in this section. It should be the latest post in there, so just scroll all the way to the bottom. To increase your chances of getting a real copy...honestly, you should check your area for local game stores. They check to make sure games are real and whether or not they work, so yeah.

Fouetté | Rygarde | Déesse | Parfum | Pamplemousse
pairs | super mod of challenges | avatar by kaori

alli: i don't feel like being the big bad bottle of orange juice today
Necrum: Is that a reference to your Smod color? lol
alli: yes
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
PervertedPikachu
Drink my tears, or something

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
There is a guide on fake games in the FAQ in this section. It should be the latest post in there, so just scroll all the way to the bottom. To increase your chances of getting a real copy...honestly, you should check your area for local game stores. They check to make sure games are real and whether or not they work, so yeah.
What Sydian said. Don't buy off Ebay, they're more than likely going to be fake. And there's no way to tell from a picture that is probably going to be different from the game you receive. I'd check reputable vintage games websites or stores, of which I know there is one in my area You can even bring your gameboy to check the quality of the cartridge if you'd like.
Old July 9th, 2013, 08:11 PM
pokem0nprincess

Nature: Quirky
Does the Repel trick work in the Safari Zone? Example: I want to find Stantler in Emerald. It appears 5% of the time in Area 5 at levels 36-39. If I put a level 39 pokemon at the front of my party and use a repel, will there be any higher of a chance of finding Stantler?
Blue - 4 badges
Yellow - 4 badges
Gold - 8 badges but no E4
LeafGreen - 8 badges, E4, Kanto Dex completed
FireRed- 8 badges & E4
Emerald - 8 badges, E4, almost finished with Hoenn Dex
Diamond - 8 badges, E4, working on dex
SoulSilver - 16 badges, no Red, working on dex
White - 8 badges, no E4
Black 2 - 6 badges
X 8 badges, E4, working on dex
Old July 10th, 2013, 01:55 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokem0nprincess View Post
Does the Repel trick work in the Safari Zone? Example: I want to find Stantler in Emerald. It appears 5% of the time in Area 5 at levels 36-39. If I put a level 39 pokemon at the front of my party and use a repel, will there be any higher of a chance of finding Stantler?
I searched Google & that's what I found:
Quote:
Using Repels - Using a level 26 pokemon with repels will not let you encounter Chansey per se, but it will let you avoid a bunch of pokemon in-between. It's a good time saver, if you don't want to spend the time running away from pokemon, but you won't catch Chansey any faster step-wise.
So it's better to just stand in a spot & spin around yourself to avoid wasting steps (you consume your "time" in the Safari Zone by walking) until you find a Stantler, then:
Quote:
For rare pokemon in the Safari Zone, the best strategy is to use 1 Bait and then throw a lot of balls. If the Pokemon stops eating and is watching carefully, throw 1 more bait then keep throwing balls. If you have 1-3 balls left, you should just throw balls without bait.
Now my questions:

1. I want a wall/tank Pokemon in Emerald that can learn "trolling" moves like Toxic/Spore/Will-O-Wisp/Curse (ghost only) + Fire Spin/Whirlpool/Bind + a Recovery move if possible.

2. Also my Gardevoir has the following moveset:
Psychic
Future Sight
Calm Mind
Double Team

& I want her to learn the Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo, so I'll let her forget 2 moves including Future Sight, should the other move be Calm Mind or Double Team???
Thanks in advance to whoever will help me.

Last edited by AnonygooseD; July 10th, 2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 10th, 2013, 07:43 AM
PervertedPikachu
Drink my tears, or something

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonygooseD View Post
I searched Google & that's what I found:

So it's better to just stand in a spot & spin around yourself to avoid wasting steps (you consume your "time" in the Safari Zone by walking) until you find a Stantler, then:

Now my questions:

1. I want a wall/tank Pokemon in Emerald that can learn "trolling" moves like Toxic/Spore/Will-O-Wisp/Curse (ghost only) + Fire Spin/Whirlpool/Bind + a Recovery move if possible.

2. Also my Gardevoir has the following moveset:
Psychic
Future Sight
Calm Mind
Double Team

& I want her to learn the Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo, so I'll let her forget 2 moves including Future Sight, should the other move be Calm Mind or Double Team???
Thanks in advance to whoever will help me.
1. Dusclops can learn Will-O-Wisp and Curse if memory serves me correctly.
2. Get rid of Double Team. It isn't really doing a whole lot for you, having Calm Mind to boost your stats up will really help with Psychic and Dream Eater, you'll also be stronger with that Sp.Def boost, helping you survive dangerous moves like Shadow Ball. It's a practical advantage to use when the enemy is asleep whilst Double Team is playing lucky. That's my opinion, anyway.
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:10 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O07_eleven View Post
2. Get rid of Double Team. It isn't really doing a whole lot for you, having Calm Mind to boost your stats up will really help with Psychic and Dream Eater, you'll also be stronger with that Sp.Def boost, helping you survive dangerous moves like Shadow Ball. It's a practical advantage to use when the enemy is asleep whilst Double Team is playing lucky. That's my opinion, anyway.
Thanks a lot I've been thinking I should ditch Double Team myself, & Duskull does learn these moves .
But now since it's not an attacker which 2 other moves should it learn? Is Toxic & Rest a good combo? I have a Blue Flute btw.
Old July 11th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Phoenixdown0

Looking back I know my first Pokemon was the Pikachu starter from Pokemon Yellow and was the first wild Pokemon I got in Pokemon Red. Looking at Generation 3 I seem to remember Mudkip as my starter not was the first team member I got after that. I hope by asking this question of "what is your first non-starter team member?", I'll be able to decide what my next team member in my current run of the Generation 3 games.

Old July 11th, 2013, 04:16 PM
lmcde22

I usually end up with a Zigzagoon... Only because it's ability is so useful and it learns heaps of HMs... But the first one I really use is either Shroomish or Wingull... They are easy to find and fairly good in battle. Plus the type combos come in handy. Especially if you choose Torchic as your starter
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Mirari

Protect is a must for a Dusclops. Luckly it's easy to find, since you can buy it in Lilycove, iirc.

Pain Split can be a better move if you know how to use it, I myself have never learn >< You can try Confuse Ray too, as it's a status that doesn't intefere poison/burn.

Also, Toxic kills faster than Burn and has a better acc than Will-o-Whisp, so I'd choose it over burning.
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Naya Rivera
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by O07_eleven View Post
jsyk, Shadow Ball is physical in 3rd Gen so using Calm Mind to raise your special defense against it is futile.

Quote:
Thanks a lot :) I've been thinking I should ditch Double Team myself, & Duskull does learn these moves ^^.
But now since it's not an attacker which 2 other moves should it learn? Is Toxic & Rest a good combo? I have a Blue Flute btw.
I used a Dusclops in one of my challenge runthroughs and it's best to use him more offensively than defensively. Ice Beam/Earthquake is a nice combo for him and Toxic, Confuse Ray/Protect top it off nicely.

Hope this helps! :)

Team Rocket!
blasting off at the speed of light! surrender now or prepare to fight!
meowth that's right!
wobbuffet!!!

Old July 11th, 2013, 10:57 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Yes I also pick up Zigzagoon when playing Emerald as it is useful both because of as an HM Slave as well as it's ability 'Pick Up'
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Naya Rivera
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013

Depends what game I'm playing. I dislike choosing a Pokemon that everybody catches, though.

LG/FR I usually catch something like a Mankey, Pikachu or Nidoran. I only catch them depending on the starter though. If it's Bulbasaur/Squirtle I'll catch a Pikachu/Nidoran. And a Mankey if it's Charmander.

In R/S/E it could be either Wingull, Ralts or Surskit; I tend to go for Ralts though because Gardevoir turns into a beast later in the game.

Team Rocket!
meowth that's right!
wobbuffet!!!

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:28 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

According to the internet Duskull is more about def & sp. def, and Shuppet is more about atk & sp. atk, & I wanted a tank only for trolling soooooo...

-Mean Look
-Toxic
-Curse
-Rest

I put w-o-w because I might encounter Gengars & Haunters & Toxic won't work, & I removed Protect because it lasts for 1 turn only & I was hoping that it protects me from hits while I curse...
Is this combo okay???

Last edited by AnonygooseD; July 12th, 2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Naya Rivera
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013

Quote:
According to the internet Duskull is more about def & sp. def, and Shuppet is more about atk & sp. atk, & I wanted a tank only for trolling soooooo...

-Will-O-Wisp
-Toxic
-Curse
-Rest

I put w-o-w because I might encounter Gengars & Haunters & Toxic won't work, & I removed Protect because it lasts for 1 turn only & I was hoping that it protects me from hits while I curse...
Is this combo okay???
Honestly since you're playing 3rd gen you're not gonna be playing online which means having Dusclops take on a pure defensive role is redundant... But if you want it that way then Will-O-Wisp and Toxic is pointless because Dusclops can either burn the opponent and then stall with Pain Split + Seismic Toss. Whereas Toxic should be partnered with Protect and an offensive move so Taunt doesn't shut you down. Ice Beam, Earthquake, Shadow Ball, Psychic etc are your only options. Confuse Ray is a great addition to Dusclops small movepool because it can cause havoc with your opponents and with the constant damage from burn/poison and the fixed damage from Seismic Toss you'll do fine.

Toxic moveset
- Toxic
- Protect
- Confuse Ray
- Ice Beam / Earthquake / Shadow Ball / Psychic

Will-O-Wisp
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seismic Toss
- Pain Split
- Confuse Ray / Shadow Ball

Team Rocket!
meowth that's right!
wobbuffet!!!

Old July 12th, 2013, 04:44 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonomega View Post
Toxic moveset
- Toxic
- Protect
- Confuse Ray
- Ice Beam / Earthquake / Shadow Ball / Psychic
I think I'll go with this one, I can't get Protect so maybe I'll replace it with Double Team? I also think I should give him an Adamant nature...
Old July 12th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Mirari

You can buy Protect anytime in Lilycove Store, it's the TM 17.

And if you're going to use an Adamant Dusclops, make sure you choose Shadow Ball or Earthquake (EQ is weaker than a STABed Shadow Ball, though)
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Cookiedude42

So, I have reached the elite four. With one issue
My team is quite under leveled. The only thing is I don't know anywhere to find good trainers or pokemon to battle against. My pokemon currently active are:
Level 50 Zapdos
Level 44 Arbok
Level 35 Arcanine
Level 40 Lapras
Level 41 Charizard
Level 41 Dodrio

So does anyone know a good area to train my team?
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Soldier Randy

Nature: Calm
I used to have half of my team very similar to yours...
I recommend getting them to level 60 if you want to beat the E4 easily.

I use to train them on 1 Island, there are a few trainers outside the spa, that's a good spot, I spend most of my training there.

Also you can go through all the citys and routes challenging all the trainers, some of them will very usefull since they have leveled up their team, some of them haved evolved their pokemon or even add more members to their parties, that way your team would level up relatively quick.

Hope this will help you
My blog: "You know... that guy". Why don't you take a look at it? Just started it and if you have suggestion for any subject for me to write about I will gladly considerate it and give my thoughts on it!

yknowdatguy.blogspot.com
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:09 AM
spae

I beat the elite 4 and the champion. The game auto-saved and ran through the credits but when i tried to load it says 'The save file has been erased due to corruption or damage'. 'The game can be played'.

Then it only has the option for a new game.

Is it fixable?

Apparently this is a common problem to have after beating elite 4 on emerald. If I buy another emerald is there any way to know if it's bad or not? This one is able to save except for at the elite 4.

Could it be a fake cartridge? A lot of people say this only happens on fake games.

A lot of people using emulators have this problem too but this is on my ds lite.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links