The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:13 AM
silviog.s

Hey guys, simple question: it's possibly to determinate the Moves that a Pokémon get in a givepokemon script knows (GEN III)? (Like the Dratini that knows Extreme Speed in the GEN II/IV games.) If so, could someone please explain me how? Thanks in advance!

SilvioG.S
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:43 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviog.s View Post
Hey guys, simple question: it's possibly to determinate the Moves that a Pokémon get in a givepokemon script knows (GEN III)? (Like the Dratini that knows Extreme Speed in the GEN II/IV games.) If so, could someone please explain me how? Thanks in advance!

SilvioG.S
I did it for LockSmithArmy's Ultra Violet hack by giving the player the pokemon and then using ASM to adjust its move set. This is quite advanced, but the routines I used can be found in JPAN's thread "Pokemon Data Decrypting".

Quote:
Originally Posted by akihiko123 View Post
Any ideas where to download it aside from MediaFire? 'coz MediaFire is acting weird today ._.
EDIT: oh~ Nevermind ;P i already got it xD
Make sure it is v1.1.1 or the version that can be found on Gamer2020's tool thread.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; July 2nd, 2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:00 AM
Sky93

Hey, I was wondering why this overworld I inserted looks all wonky. The palette is messed up and I'm not sure why, but it looks completely fine in NSE. Anyone know why that is and how to fix it?
Attached Images
File Type: png glitched person.png‎ (8.0 KB, 11 views) (Save to Dropbox)

ROMs I Support:
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:14 AM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Nature: Quiet
There are unknown bytes associated with each OW, so if two have the same unknown byte, they will share the same pal in-game. in NSE press ctrl and M. Then in the bottom right, it says a sprite pointer or something. go there in a hex editor. you should find a string soon after XX 01 00 00. Change XX until it's ok in-game.

Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
ShiningLust
Gym Leader of Ground Oden

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
They do exist. Some hacks are Blaze Black (2) and Volt White (2), a RS remake, and a few others. There are threads on here, just not too many. Keep looking, you will find them.

You have to compile it, then copy the script offset into A-Map.
ok thanks i will keep looking idk if they did have any lol

Egg Swap is back for GT10! Join us now and get swapping!
Pokemon White 2
Trainer Name: Oden
Friend Code: 4299-4642-0391
3DS Friend Name: Oden
3DS Friend Code: 3969-4646-3728
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:57 AM
pokéchanger

hey 4 more newbie questions...
how can i add a new type? like fairy?
can i make a triple type pokemon?
can i make triple (or more) battles?
and can i make a massive evolution tree? like 4 in a line and 10 different branches?
cheers everyone:D
p.s. can i make teams bigger?
And can there be 4 player options not just boy/girl?
sorry i ask so many questions but i really wanna get into this :D

Last edited by pokéchanger; July 2nd, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:01 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokéchanger View Post
hey 4 more newbie questions...
how can i add a new type? like fairy?
can i make a triple type pokemon?
can i make triple (or more) battles?
and can i make a massive evolution tree? like 4 in a line and 10 different branches?
cheers everyone:D
p.s. can i make teams bigger?
And can there be 4 player options not just boy/girl?
sorry i ask so many questions but i really wanna get into this :D
1) Fairly simple ASM with a lot of hex editing.

2) ASM-> Advanced-> Very Advanced.

3) Highly advanced ASM and a massive amount of battle scripting.

4) Again... ASM and a ton of hex editing... Lines can be done in YAPE and PGE, but without hacking the routine, the most branches is 5.

5) You would need to hack the intro and write new code to load every sprite.

The things you want 95% of us couldn't accomplish. Why don't you learn the basics first.

Paired with Simba
Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:15 PM
Sagiri

Quote:
1) Fairly simple ASM with a lot of hex editing.

2) ASM-> Advanced-> Very Advanced.

3) Highly advanced ASM and a massive amount of battle scripting.

4) Again... ASM and a ton of hex editing... Lines can be done in YAPE and PGE, but without hacking the routine, the most branches is 5.

5) You would need to hack the intro and write new code to load every sprite.

The things you want 95% of us couldn't accomplish. Why don't you learn the basics first.
If you wanted to, you can change the ???-image, and just repoint and expand the type effectiveness table. Just remember to change Curse into a Ghost-type move.

Though that only adds one more type, it would allow for Fairy-type without hacking the routines.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:14 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bear View Post
If you wanted to, you can change the ???-image, and just repoint and expand the type effectiveness table. Just remember to change Curse into a Ghost-type move.

Though that only adds one more type, it would allow for Fairy-type without hacking the routines.
That is a terrible way, because then all of your eggs will be fairy type.

Paired with Simba
Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:57 PM
Sagiri

Quote:
That is a terrible way, because then all of your eggs will be fairy type.-_-
Oh, that is true. I guess I'm just used to the newer games which lists them as Normal-type.

So, never mind then. I wasn't thinking, apparently.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:11 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bear View Post
Oh, that is true. I guess I'm just used to the newer games which lists them as Normal-type.

So, never mind then. I wasn't thinking, apparently.
It's fine. MANY other people have said that same thing.

Paired with Simba
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:35 PM
silviog.s

Quote:
I did it for LockSmithArmy's Ultra Violet hack by giving the player the pokemon and then using ASM to adjust its move set. This is quite advanced, but the routines I used can be found in JPAN's thread "Pokemon Data Decrypting".
Thanks, man!

Another simple question: anyone knows what are the flags for getting the Frontier Symbols (both Silver and Gold) in Pokémon Emerald?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:49 AM
cyndaquil-burns-brightly

Nature: Calm
Hi everyone,

I'm making a hack that i have been working on for months now. I save all my maps in a file once I finished it.
Recently, I finished mapping the entire game, but for some reason when I imported my maps back into the same rom Ive been using(by import i mean replacing most of the firered red maps), once I test out gameplay, the game crashes on me during the intro. My maps are all connected fine. I have not done anything different besides replace the original firered maps in the game. Someone please help, ive worked too hard on my game.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:35 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndaquil-burns-brightly View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm making a hack that i have been working on for months now. I save all my maps in a file once I finished it.
Recently, I finished mapping the entire game, but for some reason when I imported my maps back into the same rom Ive been using(by import i mean replacing most of the firered red maps), once I test out gameplay, the game crashes on me during the intro. My maps are all connected fine. I have not done anything different besides replace the original firered maps in the game. Someone please help, ive worked too hard on my game.
Sometimes A-map just buggs out and screws up. I hope you made back-ups of the rom, and not just the files. I personally make a back-up to Drop Box everytime I walk away from my computer, or have made the changes I want to make, and then fill out a quick change log. You wouldn't believe how many times all of these back-ups are used to save my butt. Anyways, if you don't have a back-up, try inserting all of the corrupted maps in new slots and relink them up. I mean create a new map banka and completely reinsert them. Most of the time, this fixes the issue.

Paired with Simba
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:06 AM
Jake 53
noob hacker

Hey guys,

I was editing Pokemon Light Platinum for my own use to make it a little harder (wild pokemon level editing) but now the game freezes every time I get in a battle or try to look at my pokemon. Any ideas for a fix?

P.S. I do have a semi recent back up, but I would like to avoid using it if at all reasonable.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:19 AM
Agro

Hi guys, I'm from the Fire Emblem hacking community. I'm currently in the process of writing a fully detailed, comprehensive music hacking tutorial on the Sappy engine which should be applicable to all games that use the Sappy engine including Pokemon. I'm also planning to put a few resources together for Pokemon hackers as well. What's the current status of music hacking here? I've read through a few of the music tutorials and really think you guys could get some benefit out of what I have to show. Do you guys have a native instrument map? From what I've read FireRed seems to be the most popular game to hack? Is there anyone who hacks Ruby/Sapphire still, as well? Just need to know which ROM to tailor my tutorial to. Thanks!
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:55 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
Hi guys, I'm from the Fire Emblem hacking community. I'm currently in the process of writing a fully detailed, comprehensive music hacking tutorial on the Sappy engine which should be applicable to all games that use the Sappy engine including Pokemon. I'm also planning to put a few resources together for Pokemon hackers as well. What's the current status of music hacking here? I've read through a few of the music tutorials and really think you guys could get some benefit out of what I have to show. Do you guys have a native instrument map? From what I've read FireRed seems to be the most popular game to hack? Is there anyone who hacks Ruby/Sapphire still, as well? Just need to know which ROM to tailor my tutorial to. Thanks!
Well, I'm glad to find outsiders joining us to help.

I'm not a music hacker, but I do know kind of what is going on. RS is still hacked, but yes, FireRed is more common. (Ruby hackers like PinkParkaGirl get mad when you leave them out, just a warning.:p) For the most part, we do have some very good music hackers. Gogojjtech seems to do a decent job, though he hasn't been hacking for an extreme length of time and I'm sure he would love to learn more. Giradialkia (one of the mods for this section) is a music artist who is learning to insert music. Team Fail does NDS music, though I'm not sure how he is with GBA. The only other one I know is Noosab_Blue (forgive me if I spelled that name wrong) who I know can compose music, but I'm not sure about inserting. If you are looking for music hackers to talk to, I would browse some of the more recent hacks and see who did the music and talk to them.

Most people don't frequent this thread that are really experienced in music hacking, so I'm doing my best to direct you. Thanks for wanting to help!

Paired with Simba
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:13 PM
Saasta

So I've recently started hacking Advence-generation Pokémon games and I've learned to script simple events. I would like to know where does the script for the Oak's greeting text is located. I tried to find it with a-text and I decompiled the hexnumber that it gave to me with PKSV but I didn't find any code relating to the Oak's first speech..
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:48 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saasta View Post
So I've recently started hacking Advence-generation Pokémon games and I've learned to script simple events. I would like to know where does the script for the Oak's greeting text is located. I tried to find it with a-text and I decompiled the hexnumber that it gave to me with PKSV but I didn't find any code relating to the Oak's first speech..
The intro is a mix of ASM and scripting. There is no direct and full script associated with it.

Paired with Simba
Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:10 PM
MasterWarlord

I've been looking at tutorials to overwrite Pokemon battle sprites with new ones in Fire Red by tpravetz and Maco. Both are pretty much the same, and I've followed them very carefully. I've managed to get sprites into the game, but they still have their backgrounds attached.

I'm fairly aware of what I'm doing wrong that makes the backgrounds show up but don't know how to correct it. I get a 16 color version of my image in irfanview with the background color and the first color (black) swapped just fine, as the tutorials say. The problem comes in after that, when I go to paste my original image over the one I've played with in irfanview. Pasting it over and saving it puts it back to 256 colors, and as such unlz.gba refuses to accept the file because the image is not indexed. Please help me find what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited by MasterWarlord; July 3rd, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:13 PM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Nature: Quiet
First of all, try to use Wichu's advance series. No need to index anymore, it does that for you. There's a tutorial on here that teaches you how to use it.

Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:05 PM
MasterWarlord

Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor looks really simple, but there wasn't exactly a lot of room for me to figure out where I was going wrong with it. I can get them to have no backgrounds with it, but the colors are always incorrect once the images are imported. Editing them back to their original states only goes so far, it's impossible to get them back to their original quality from what I see, as what each color correlates to seems to change.

Spoiler:

Abomasnow couldn't even get this far, always ending up looking like some sort of abomination. I assume the program hates the fact his sprite has so much white in it or something.

I was pretty close with the other method with unzl, as the sprites were perfect other than the background.

Last edited by MasterWarlord; July 3rd, 2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:48 PM
DrFuji
repeat repeat repeat
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWarlord View Post
Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor looks really simple, but there wasn't exactly a lot of room for me to figure out where I was going wrong with it. I can get them to have no backgrounds with it, but the colors are always incorrect once the images are imported. Editing them back to their original states only goes so far, it's impossible to get them back to their original quality from what I see, as what each color correlates to seems to change.

Spoiler:

Abomasnow couldn't even get this far, always ending up looking like some sort of abomination. I assume the program hates the fact his sprite has so much white in it or something.

I was pretty close with the other method with unzl, as the sprites were perfect other than the background.
Your sprites appear to have a lot of .jpg artifacts which I'm guessing is making it hard for APSE to synch up your palettes. All sprites in Pokemon games only have 15 colours (plus transparency) but your image's corruption has made it have far more. As a result APSE is trying to reconcile this by using what it assumes are the 15 most common colours and where they should be located in the finished product. But many of those colours shouldn't have existed in the first place, leading to your 'abominations' :P

You're going to have to find another set of sprites for your Pokemon and ensure that they are saved as .png files with no corrupted pixels before you try again. Hopefully it all works out this time around.

If you actually don't have artifacts on your sprites and the corruption is because you uploaded them to the internet then it may be because you haven't clicked 'update palette' and 'synchronise palette' to have your front and backsprites synchronise.
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:16 AM
MasterWarlord

Eeeeeyup. It had to do with having corrupt images. I was trying to index them to try to get them to work or whatever, but the images were just inherently broken. No amount of indexing would change that. I think the problem was the base image being transparent.

But yeah, got it to work, finally. Thanks.
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

can someone tell me what i may be doing wrong?

Spoiler:

Last edited by Ace.; July 4th, 2013 at 02:48 AM. Reason: ~
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links