The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:29 PM
molivious
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
The Petit Pokemon Challenge!

First and foremost....

Playable Pokemon (arranged by Type & Generation):
Spoiler:

- Evolved Pokemon may be raised/traded in/hacked in as parents for egg moves. However, they SHOULD NOT participate in any (trainer/gym/major) battle.

Exceptional Pokemon (arranged by Type & Generation):
Spoiler:

- Exceptional pokemon may be played in addition to the playable pokemon. However...
- Exceptional pokemon may ONLY be used in [Monotype] Petit Challenges.

- Additionally, these are not exceptions for other types unless mentioned (e.g Omanyte is only found as an exception for Rock pokemon. Hence, he cannot be used in a [Water] Petit Challenge)

Useable Moves:

Spoiler:
  • OHKO moves are banned... Metronome is allowed, though.
  • Only moves with 70 Attack power or less are allowed to be used/learned by the pokemon in your party.
However, Dig, Hyper Fang and ???-power moves are also allowed as an exception to this rule. Some examples of ???-power moves are Magnitude, Sonic Boom and Dragon Rage.

• If any of these moves are learned by a single Pokemon, then that Pokemon should have no other offensive moves of the same type. e.g If Rattata has learned Hyper Fang, then he cannot have Tackle or Super Fang in his moveset. However, you may replace Hyper Fang with Super Fang for that matter. Moves like Mud Sport and Screech are still allowed since they don't deal damage.
Grass Knot, Fury Cutter, Rollout, Low Kick and the likes are also allowed. So long as their written Attack power is less than 70.

Take note that the pokemon entries are not based on Pokemon Stadium's traditional length/weight rules because many Steel-type pokemon wouldn't be included that way. So instead, a 330-base-stat-limit rule was implemented. This, of course, doesn't include the "exceptional pokemon" listed - where some even exceed an overall of 400, namely, the electrical cheeky rodents. So, without further ado...

Rules:
  • You are not allowed to use two or more of the same pokemon in your party.
  • Challenges end once you beat the Elite Four
    • At the end of the game, your strongest party member should not be more than 15 levels above the weakest party member.
  • HM slaves are allowed (since you can't teach Surf or Strength to your pokemon), however they must not, by any means, be used in battle. If you took them out because your party was wiped out… it’s fine. But you shouldn’t include these Pokemon in Gym nor Elite four battles (unless, of course, they only have the moves Rock Smash, Flash or Cut).
  • Adding a new Pokemon to your main 6 should always start at level 5 or below
    • Hacking to get your fave pokemon or whatever is allowed, but the rule above should be followed.
    • Replacing your main 6 with newly caught pokemon is allowed, but they should follow the level-5 rule written above. You will have to wait until you reach a daycare center if a pokemon is higher than level 5.
    • If you swapped out a party member to make room for an HM slave, then you may get your original party member back later without applying the level-5 rule.
    • Gen 1 is an exception to this rule. You may use newly-caught pokemon as long as they are allowed in the challenge.
  • You are not allowed to hack in ANY item. The pickup ability, however, may be abused for as much as you want.
  • Under any circumstances, you must ONLY revive your fainted members in a Pokemon Center.
    • This means that revives are banned. No other items are banned, though.
    • Rare candies may only be used if the pokemon is not in fainted status.
  • You may only heal (this includes status effects) your pokemon with items outside of battle...
    • However, moves such as Wish and Aromatherapy are allowed, as an exception to this rule.
    • As another exception to this rule, you may also let your pokemon hold berries. Abuse this all you want.
  • Rom-Hacks are allowed in this challenge IF the maps, regions, and pokedex in the hack are kept untouched (Expert Emerald, for instance, is allowed. But it will count as a normal Emerald playthrough)
  • You may accept this challenge for selected spinoffs, too! Yay! Namely:
Spoiler:
- Pokemon TCG 1/2
- Pokemon Stadium 1/2
- Pokemon Colosseum
- Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

Others aren't listed because: 1) I'm not sure if it's even applicable on those games anymore; or 2) there's no option to use evolved/petit pokemon - forcing you to be stuck on that game's own challenge

Challenge Types

Single - Simply want to give this challenge a shot? Then sign up for this.
- You must input your game's version followed by your progress as you sign up. (e.g Blue 3/8)

Ultimate - Want to bring this challenge through every region? Then take this challenge!
- You must write your progress in each region. (e.g Kanto 8/8, Johto 4/8, Hoenn 8/8)

Hardcore - Planning to accept the challenge for all Pokemon versions out there? That's insane!
- You must write your progress for each version (e.g Red 3/8, Blue 6/8, Ruby 4/8, etc)

Kanto = R/B/Y/Gr/FR/LG
Johto = G/S/C/HG/SS
Hoenn = R/S/E
Sinnoh = D/P/Pt
Unova = B/W/B2/W2

Challenge Modes

[Mixed] Petit Challenge - use any pokemon you want!

[Monotype] Petit Challenge- all of your pokemon must have at least one matching type.

[Solo] Petit Challenge - must only use one pokemon for the whole playthrough.

Final notes before signing up:
  • The [Dark] and [Ice] Petit Challenges may only be taken from Gen 2 and above. (No available pokemon to use in Gen 1)
  • The [Steel] Petit and [Dragon] Petit Challenges may be taken from Gen 3 and above. If you decide to accept the challenge in earlier gens (Steel is not possible in Gen 1 though), your name will be added into the Hall of Fame since those will be extremely hard with only one pokemon.
  • The [Bug] Petit Challenge may be taken from Gen 2 and above. If you decide to accept the challenge in Gen 1, well... good luck. I will personally carve your gravestone. Your names will be listed at the top of the Hall of Fame.
    • This challenge will have to require a screenshot of proof, though. >_<'a It's a really hard feat, it's the least you can do to show how patient you were.
  • And once again, exceptional pokemon may only be used if you are accepting a [Monotype] Petit Challenge. Otherwise, they are banned.

Entry/Registration Form:

Name -
Challenge Type - (Single/Ultimate/HC)
Challenge Mode - (Mixed/Monotype/Solo)
Current progress -

Sample forms:
Spoiler:

Sample "Single" Challenge Type entry:
Name -
Challenge Type
- Single
Challenge Mode
-
Current progress: Yellow 5/8

Sample "Ultimate" Challenge Type entry:
Name -
Challenge Type - Ultimate
Challenge Mode -
Current Progress:
- Hoenn 1/8
- Johto 8/8
- Kanto 4/8

Sample "Hardcore" Challenge Type entry:
Name -
Challenge Type - Hardcore
Challenge Mode -
Current Progress:
- Kanto (Red 3/8; Blue 5/8; Yellow 8/8, FR 8/8, LG 7/8)
- Hoenn (Ruby 8/8, Saph 8/8, Eme 8/8)
- etc..

Update Routine
I will be updating the challenger's list for as much as I could. Everyday, if possible. However, we all know that any sane human can't do that all-year-round with vacations, school and whatnot. But, under any case, I would see to it that the list is updated at least once per week. Even if I get washed away into an uncharted island.... I WILL FIND A WAY!

So guys, please be patient if your names are still not up there. They will be there. If you want to repost/bump, just make sure that you don't spam the same thing over and over. Meaning, post/repost only if you have more progress.

For those who are participating, feel free to update however you want. Tell us your story, throw some jokes for giggles, post screenshots, write a poem... your call. Just make sure to place your progress somewhere down there.

Hall of Fame

Challengers
Spoiler:

Single

HonorThief72
[Mixed] Petit: Blue 0/8

sarsenetSylveon
[Normal] Petit: Emerald 1/8

WarriorCat
[Mixed] Petit: XD: GoD 0%

DaNewbInTown
[Mixed] Petit: Platinum 0/8

Ultimate

Hardcore

Champions
Spoiler:

Single

Molivious
[Mixed] Petit: Silver
[Mixed] Petit: Emerald

Ultimate

Hardcore

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.

Last edited by molivious; July 26th, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:53 PM
HonorThief72

I will try this challenge!

Name- HonorThief72
Challenge Type- Single
Challenge Mode- Mixed
Progress- B(0/8)

(Blue version, not Black).

Last edited by HonorThief72; July 2nd, 2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:24 AM
molivious
so much fail...

Moli's Personal Progress Sheet (to avoid spam)

Mixed Challenge on Silver (Completed July 3, 2013)
Spoiler:

Moves: Rollout, Swift, Flame Wheel, Smokescreen

Moves: Dig, Hyper Fang, Pursuit, Focus Energy

Moves: Horn Attack, Double Kick, Focus Energy, Fury Attack

Events in my final battle:
Spoiler:

For the Elite four, the hardest part was trying not to get Cyndaquil killed by Lance's Gyarados. Usually, he starts out with Rain Dance, followed by a Surf (if you're weak against it) and then a Hyper Beam. With Rattata, my stronger attacker, being taken down by Agatha's Gengar in the previous battle, I needed a lot of luck to win this.

I send out Cyndaquil, ordering him to use smokescreen. Lance orders Gyarados to use Rain Dance as expected... Unfortunately, Gyarados's Surf had NOT missed.... but to my surprise, Cyndaquil was still standing. O_o Nonetheless, Cyndaquil's rollout was able to build up twice, killing Gyarados and awaiting for it's next victim. The battle goes on, and down goes Lance's 1st Dragonite, he takes out Aerodactly. The problem with Aerodactyl is his speed, power, and Rock Slide. For this battle, i had to take Nidoran out first, aiming to wear Aerodactyl down.

Nidoran at full life, Cyndaquil in red... it was getting hopeless. None of Nidoran's attacks were truly effective against Aerodactyl. However, with his defense (and Quick claw equipped) he still managed to bring Aerodactyl to half HP. With only one pokemon left, i was worried of repeating -- but hey, i'm pretty sure I could've gone that far again on any following attempt, anyway.

So, with Cyndaquil being my last strand of hope, i let him use rollout. That one attack, super-effective, brought Aerodactyl down in a critical hit. Charizard is out, and a 2nd stage rollout was enough to bring him down. LOL. How glad i was that Lance didn't take his 2nd Dragonite out so early. Well, you already know what happens here. 3rd stage rollout was more than enough to take Dragonite down, and I finally earn my Champion title. GG, Cyndaquil, gg. Never missed any of those rollouts... well-played.

Pretty epic fight, no? Tho rollout felt really cheap. Still, that run made me wanna finish Gold/Crystal as well thanks to this (with different pokemon, of course)... but I'm continuing and finishing my Eme run first. >_<

So up next is a Mixed challenge (replacing the supposedly bug monotype) on Emerald with the following pokemon:

Mixed Challenge on Emerald (Completed July 20, 2013)
Spoiler:

Party:
Heads Lv 55
Equipped Item:
Moves: Protect, Shockwave, Toxic, Sludge

Tails Lv 58
Equipped Item: Focus Band
Moves: Rock Tomb, Aerial Ace, Giga Drain, Dragonbreath

Joker Lv 49
Equipped Item:
Moves: Dive, Confuse Ray, Spark, Water Pulse -> Charge (last minute, during Wallace battle)
Formerly Owned:
(2x)Lv ?? - Parents for Lv5 Gulpin
(2x)Lv ?? - Parents for Lv5 Chinchou
Lv 35 - Parent for Dragonbreath Treecko
Lv 39 - Starter

Moves: Mega Drain, Absorb, Pursuit, Cut
lv ?? - HM Cut
lv ?? - HM Surf, Cut
lv ?? - HM Strength, Rock Smash
lv ?? - HM Fly, Surf
lv ?? - HM Waterfall, Dive

Adventure Log:
  • Picked Treecko as starter
  • Earned both Petalburg and Dewford badges with
  • Caught for HM Cut
  • Picked up an Everstone in Granite Cave → equipped to Treecko.
  • Caught 2x→ bred → hatched new egg → parents were released..
  • Lost to Winstrate family twice → finally acquired Macho Brace → equipped to Gulpin
  • Lost to Wattson once → earned the badge with a Lv23and Lv 35
  • Taught Rock Smash
  • Caught and trained a for breeding later
  • EV-trained 's SpD (halfway; no Pkrs)... cause I'm he's kinda awesome that way.
  • Earned Lavaridge Town's badge with Lv33and Lv 39
  • Evolved into → bred with→ hatched → released both parents
  • Lost against in one of Petalburg Gym's trainers → won against Norman and earned the badge with Lv33and Lv 34
  • (a level 41 treecko who knew Detect would've made it MUCH easier ;_
  • Captured a for an additional HM slave (Surf, Cut) → released
  • Earned Fortree's gym badge with Lv44and Lv 38
  • <insert long filler involving Team Magma and Team Aqua events>
  • caught for Strength and Rock Smash; andfor Fly and Surf → released
  • Lost twice against Mossdeep's Gym Leaders → beat them with Lv52and Lv 45
  • Caughtto become my last HM slave (Waterfall, Dive) → caught 2x→ bred for an egg → released
  • Beat Sootopolis's Gym with Lv53Lv 51 and Lv 38
  • Trained a bit in Victory Road → released all of my HM slaves
  • E4 Entry levels: Lv54Lv 57 and Lv 46

Elite Four synopsis:
  • Sidney:
    • Used Toxic/Protect tactic against hiswith; result = half HP left
    • uses Sludge, luckily poisoning , another Sludge and faint; result = 12 hp left
    • was sent out, and i accidentally canceled switch... sotook a free-hit from Needle Arm. After attacking 2x with Aerial Ace, Sidney uses Hyper Potion. Again, attacks with Aerial Ace, finally fainting for good; result = 30% hp left
    • Sent out againstand , both basically using Swords Dance, and hitting themselves hard later thanks to 's Confuse Ray (lol); result = 40% hp left
  • Phoebe: (equipped all w/ Sitrus Berry)
    • Beat both with 's Toxic/Protect abuse. Luckily, none of the second Dusclops's earthquakes hit me (and only Ice beams/Rock Slides); result = 4hp left
    • Used to 2hko both her; result = 20%hp
    • Lastly, sent out to deal with via Confuse Ray/Dive repetition; result = 60% HP left
  • Glacia: (equipped Focus Band on and used Elixir on )
    • dealt with both , using Toxic/Protect and Shockwave; result = 3hp left
    • dealt with the first , needed help fromto defeat the 2nd; result = 16hp left/100%hp left
    • 2hko'ed with 2 Giga drains and a crit (lucky! XD); result = 90% hp left (hail damage)
  • Drake: (equipped all w/ Sitrus berry and used Max Elixir on both&)
    • 2hko'edwith Dragonbreath; result = 75% hp left
    • barely surviving 1st flamethrower from, and the paralyze from Dragonbreath saved my day. Giga drain allowed survival from following earthquake; result = 30% hp left
    • &teamed up against; result = 60%/30% hp left
    • took care of ; result = 40% hp left
    • &teamed up against ; result = 15hp/90% hp left
  • Wallace: (equipped &w/ Sitrus Berry, w/ Focus Band , Leppa Berry on's Giga Drain)
    • &took care of &, respectively; result = 100/40%hp left
    • &teamed up to beat ; result = 100/40%hp left
    • leveled up, replaced Water Pulse with Charge
    • easily dealt with ; result = 100% hp left
    • &teamed up once again to beat; result = 32hp/40%hp left
    • all teamed up against ; result = faint

-end-

Last edited by molivious; July 19th, 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:14 PM
molivious
so much fail...

Hate to double post or even bump so soon, but this one's pretty important.

Edited first post:
- Removed Frontier mode

I've tried it and it's simply not possible for Petit pokemon. With stats being benchmarked at 330, they can only do very little and could only go very far with tremendous luck.

I've actually earned a silver symbol for Battle Tower (w/c is 35 Trainers or 5 runs), but right after that, fully evolved forms with Earthquake and Quick Claws pretty much screwed me over. So, no go.

Last edited by molivious; July 6th, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old July 7th, 2013, 02:45 PM
sarsenetSylveon

Nature: Lax
I'll give it a shot!

Name - sarsenetSylveon
Challenge Type - Single
Challenge Mode - monotype normal
Current progress - e(1/8)

Last edited by sarsenetSylveon; July 12th, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old July 7th, 2013, 04:38 PM
WarriorCat
Monotype lover!!!!!

Nature: Serious
Before I sign-up, I need to ask if I can do this on Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, a lot of the Pokemon available are useable for this challenge, like Spheal and Houndour.
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:40 PM
molivious
so much fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorCat View Post
Before I sign-up, I need to ask if I can do this on Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, a lot of the Pokemon available are useable for this challenge, like Spheal and Houndour.
Oh right, forgot about that one and Colloseum. Nothing disqualifies shadow pokemon from this challenge, so sure!

Old July 8th, 2013, 05:40 AM
WarriorCat
Monotype lover!!!!!

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by molivious View Post
Oh right, forgot about that one and Colloseum. Nothing disqualifies shadow pokemon from this challenge, so sure!
Thank you

Name -WarriorCat
Challenge Type - Single
Challenge Mode - Mixed
Current progress: XD (Not started yet)
Old July 19th, 2013, 05:27 PM
molivious
so much fail...

Finally finished my Emerald run! My updates are found [here] (or just scroll up, lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsenetSylveon View Post
Current progress - e(1/8)
Almost missed your update. Feel free to repost or leave me a PM/VM to notify me of your progress. I just kept my updates in a single post since... i tend to type a lot of crap. XD

Last edited by molivious; July 20th, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:19 AM
DaNewbInTown

I would love to do this challenge!

Username: DaNewbInTown
Game and Progress: Pl(0/8)
Game Type: Single
Game Mode: Mixed

I'm adding extra restrictions to my version of this challenge:

THE NUZLOCKE RULES
NO POKEMON SHALL HAVE LEVELS ABOVE NEXT GYM LEADER'S HIGHEST-LEVELED POKEMON (If they are, release them.)
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:44 PM
molivious
so much fail...

Nuzlocke, nice. That's gotta be tough. Looking forward to your run!

Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:09 AM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
Locked on owner's request. If someone wants to take over, they're free to PM me about it.

Locked.

Sponsored Links