• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
About to start a new hunt and what happens? My best mate rings me on Skype telling me he just restarted his Pokemon Black game. I asked him what the big deal about that was and he told me the first Pokemon he saw was a SHINY Patrat. Irony.

By first you mean before he had pokeballs? If so, that sucks....

Years
By first you mean before he had pokeballs? If so, that sucks....

Yup, the first Pokemon he saw WITH Pokeballs! He just sent me about 300 screenshots considering it's the first shiny he's ever seen. Also just a quick update I'm going to be focusing my search in Union Cave! Also when I {hopefully} get Steelix what game do you recommend keeping it in? Soulsilver? or should i put it in Black so it's in the lastest game?

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 11, 2024
you can send it to black if you are not planning to use it in SS, also make sure you teach it any move it can only learn in IV gen if you plan to use it in battling and depending on your strategy think what move would be useful to have; also consider the fact of EV berries and where you can easily EV train it, if it's easier to train in SS keep it there for some time until you have it fully trained and with the moves you want it to have, if you can easily train it in black, you can send it right away after you are sure it has at least the moves you want, like tutor moves, just in case you don't have bw2 where you can teach some tutor moves.

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
Yup, the first Pokemon he saw WITH Pokeballs! He just sent me about 300 screenshots considering it's the first shiny he's ever seen. Also just a quick update I'm going to be focusing my search in Union Cave! Also when I {hopefully} get Steelix what game do you recommend keeping it in? Soulsilver? or should i put it in Black so it's in the lastest game?

I am a fan of the 4th Gen, so all mine are on HG. Once/if I get a copy of a 5th gen I will still probably keep on HG as I'm not that into the later ones. Unless you are into online/competitive battling put it on your favourite game:)

Out of interest, why union cave? If it's Steelix you want you only have a 5-10% chance any given Pokemon will be an Onix, as opposed to some bits of Mt Silver where it hits 30%. Or the lower floor of Rock Tunnel has (maybe) cooler other Pokemon with still a 10% chance (IMO cubone+kangaskan are better than sandshrew+rattata). I assume you aren't that far through the game yet?

Years
you can send it to black if you are not planning to use it in SS, also make sure you teach it any move it can only learn in IV gen if you plan to use it in battling and depending on your strategy think what move would be useful to have; also consider the fact of EV berries and where you can easily EV train it, if it's easier to train in SS keep it there for some time until you have it fully trained and with the moves you want it to have, if you can easily train it in black, you can send it right away after you are sure it has at least the moves you want, like tutor moves, just in case you don't have bw2 where you can teach some tutor moves.

I definitely take it to Black considering it's let latest game, thanks for all the tips such as the Move Tutor! You were right about me not having BW2 as that was the only game of the series I haven't played because i lost interest when it came out! Will defiantly take your words to actions though.

I am a fan of the 4th Gen, so all mine are on HG. Once/if I get a copy of a 5th gen I will still probably keep on HG as I'm not that into the later ones. Unless you are into online/competitive battling put it on your favourite game:)

Out of interest, why union cave? If it's Steelix you want you only have a 5-10% chance any given Pokemon will be an Onix, as opposed to some bits of Mt Silver where it hits 30%. Or the lower floor of Rock Tunnel has (maybe) cooler other Pokemon with still a 10% chance (IMO cubone+kangaskan are better than sandshrew+rattata). I assume you aren't that far through the game yet?

Unfortunatly i whipped out my DS & I was chillin with Falkner. I may have to wait abit & go with the flow of the game for awhile

Last edited:

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
what game do you recommend keeping it in? Soulsilver? or should i put it in Black so it's in the lastest game?

Why not both?

If you have (or can change to) WEP-based Internet encryption, you can make an account at Pokécheck, register your save file, upload your Shiny through their fakeGTS service and then queue it for download on Gen V. This way, you can have a golden Steelix being a super sweet guy following your character in Soul Silver while also having him in Gen V!

Years
Finally got to Union Cave, I'll try there for awhile & if i don't see many Onix's I'll continue to another cave-like area! Wish me luck! Pidgey Evolved :o Quick Question if anyone knows as well, is Rage worth keeping on Totodile for awhile?

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
Can't say I've ever gotten much of a use out of Rage. It's reactive and takes a while to build up. May be alright if you have absolutely nothing else of value to overwrite it, though.

Years
Ok. I decided for sure that I'm going to wait until further down the track to hunt down this Steelix, considering the odds are 10% for a regular Onix in Union Cave, I'm gonna wait till Mt.Silver as they are at their peak of 30% of the Mountainside

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
Ok. I decided for sure that I'm going to wait until further down the track to hunt down this Steelix, considering the odds are 10% for a regular Onix in Union Cave, I'm gonna wait till Mt.Silver as they are at their peak of 30% of the Mountainside

If you want Steelix then that is a good idea. Wonder who suggested that. Oh wait it was me :)

Seriously, ANY increase is probably worth it given the huge odds we are dealing with.

Years
If you want Steelix then that is a good idea. Wonder who suggested that. Oh wait it was me :)

Seriously, ANY increase is probably worth it given the huge odds we are dealing with.

Haha yeah thanks for the tips! I've been research every inch of Onix/Steelix today, I'm in SoulSilver so I'll try to use some Heavy Balls when i see one! Just gotta stock up on Black Apricorns!

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
I come to you guys with an intriguing matter, for I am curious to see what you all think about it on an individual level.

I am currently breeding two Nincada together, the male with a 31/31/00/31/31/31 IV spread and the female with a 31/31/17/31/31/31 IV spread. With a Power item equipped to the male and an Everstone on the female (she's the one with Lonely nature), this gives me very high chances of getting the ideal Shiny Shedinja (Lonely, X/31/0-12/X/31/31), once I do get a Shiny Nincada.

I am doing this without Masuda Method chances, since they're both my personally-bred Nincada. I've stomached through likely over 4000 eggs, now (I don't keep accurate track, personal preference).

I'll keep going like this until the end, even with the much lower chances - it's my sacrifice to increase my odds of a competitive Shedinja to the max, since it's pretty much the only Pokémon that can function with two max IVs (third in Sp. Def is very niche and isn't absolutely required).

Now, here's the gist of it, the point where I introduce a question for you guys...

I actually have two Japanese Dittos I'm not using in this:

1. I got it from the GTS ages past, but all of its IVs are bad;
2. I got it from Pokécheck. It's a 31/31/31/31/31/31 IV spread Ditto. Certainly legit and likely RNG'd.

Neither of them have the nature I want for the Shedinja.

At this point, replacing the male Nincada with the second Japanese Ditto would slightly lower the chances of the perfect Nincada, but it would dramatically increase the odds of a Shiny. Replacing it with the first would certainly tank the IVs, but you'd know you acquired it yourself via in-game means.

What would you do, personally?

- Would you use the second Ditto, since you've gotten to a point where the full max IVs don't make a difference?
- Would you use a specific Ditto, or either Ditto, since the primary objective is getting a Shiny, even risking the desired IVs?
- Would you not use the Ditto because you didn't earn it via trading and/or because a downloaded Ditto feels illegal?
- Would you not use the Ditto to squeeze the maximum IV potential out of it?

Lastly, disregarding the legality of the second Ditto:

- Would you in any way feel bad about getting the Shiny with the second Ditto as a parent?

I have been rather intrigued over my personal thoughts and determinations on this and would like to see your thoughts, as well.

Thanks for reading and have a nice time hunting!

Spritingyoshi22

That guy over there
Years
@Runasutaru

I remember I had a similar issue with a Ditto (Legit stats and not max IVs) I made in Pokegen back in April (I released the Pokegend Ditto and now use a fully legit one on Pokemon Black). I personally would feel bad about getting a shiny with a downloaded Ditto, just because it dosn't feel legit, can't explain why for me it just dosn't. I guess it depends which one YOU want more, If you want the perfect IVs more, the process of getting the Shiny might take a hell of alot longer then if you bred using Nincada and Ditto but you would have more chance of getting the perfect IVs and your desired perfect IV shiny Nincada. If you used the Masuda method with the first Ditto then the Shiny process might be quicker but you would have less chance of the perfect IV spread. I personally would stick with the 2 Nincada as Masudaring can take a while anyway and as I said above for me downloaded Pokemon don't feel that legit, unless it's an event Pokemon I missed. It all comes down to what you think about the downloaded Ditto.

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
The Celadon hunts continue for me! 2900 Dratini, 1450 Clefairy, and 5961 Eevee so far.

I would really love to join the Shiny Hunters and signed up on PC just to give it a shot!

I would like to join this group if it's okay.

Welcome to the SHC!!

At this point, replacing the male Nincada with the second Japanese Ditto would slightly lower the chances of the perfect Nincada, but it would dramatically increase the odds of a Shiny. Replacing it with the first would certainly tank the IVs, but you'd know you acquired it yourself via in-game means.

- Would you use the second Ditto, since you've gotten to a point where the full max IVs don't make a difference?
- Would you use a specific Ditto, or either Ditto, since the primary objective is getting a Shiny, even risking the desired IVs?
- Would you not use the Ditto because you didn't earn it via trading and/or because a downloaded Ditto feels illegal?

Lastly, disregarding the legality of the second Ditto:

- Would you in any way feel bad about getting the Shiny with the second Ditto as a parent?

I have been rather intrigued over my personal thoughts and determinations on this and would like to see your thoughts, as well.

I would definitely keep doing what you've been doing, using two parents that you acquired yourself. For me, using the second Ditto would take away from the legitimacy of the shiny, since I wouldn't have fully acquired it myself - I'd rather have 2 perfect IVs that I got using only my own Pokemon rather than 3 or 4 perfect IVs that are a result of trading and using someone else's Pokemon. It's a lot more rewarding to be able to say, "Hey, I got this 2 perfect-IVed shiny from scratch!"

As for the first Ditto, you'd be sacrificing your chances of getting the Shedinja you want in exchange for shorter time spent getting it (and by "it", I mean a shiny Shedinja without awesome stats). You'd basically be punting the more valuable, but harder to obtain Shedinja so that you don't need to spend as much time hatching...since you wouldn't be getting the "ideal Shedinja" that you've worked so hard for, I don't think this option is really worth it, either.

It all comes down to two questions:

1) Would you give up your chances of getting a really great competitive shiny Shedinja if it meant that you don't have to hatch as many eggs?
2) If so, would you use a Pokemon not obtained through natural means to increase your chances of getting a competitively decent - but still not great - shiny Shedinja?

I would personally say no to both of them, but I can see how someone might want to use the first Ditto if they were less interested in hunting for a competitively awesome Shedinja and just wanted a shiny. It all depends on what you're hunting for (but a competitively awesome shiny Shedinja with a perfect nature and excellent IVs would be really cool!).

Last edited:

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
I personally would feel bad about getting a shiny with a downloaded Ditto, just because it dosn't feel legit, can't explain why for me it just dosn't. I guess it depends which one YOU want more, If you want the perfect IVs more, the process of getting the Shiny might take a hell of alot longer then if you bred using Nincada and Ditto but you would have more chance of getting the perfect IVs and your desired perfect IV shiny Nincada.

I would definitely keep doing what you've been doing, using two parents that you acquired yourself. (...)It's a lot more rewarding to be able to say, "Hey, I got this 2 perfect-IVed shiny from scratch!"

Yes, that's pretty much my view on it. It doesn't feel right for a very simple reason:

It wasn't earned.

Think about it: Why do we choose not to hack (outright creation/editing) or even abuse the RNG (in-game exploitation) for Shinies? Because doing either thing is predictable, 100% controllable and not done via natural in-game methods nor by our very hands.

We enjoy the chance, the effort, the time and knowing we're the ones contributing to every factor along the way. Take one thing out and it gets devalued. For some people (like me), even the smallest bit of devaluing can be enough to bug them forever.

Sure, hunting Shinies isn't skill-based. It's a huge time sink and very goal-oriented, but even multitasked, droned time can infuse the final result with more personal significance. Just have to strike an inner balance on what one thinks is worth the time and effort, then going ahead with the chosen goal.

Last edited:

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
I come to you guys with an intriguing matter, for I am curious to see what you all think about it on an individual level.

Bear in mind that I have never (and still don't) worry at all about IV's of my Pokemon. If they are weak so be it. But I don't do competitive battling.

I wouldn't really be that worried about using either ditto to get a shiny. A shiny is a shiny, and using MM is a legitimate thing intentionally introduced into the games.

If I were doing competitive battling, I would not use the second ditto. To me, I would be getting an extra strong fighter that I didn't earn. The first one would be fine, as it seems a random encounter. But the second one would feel like cheating.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 11, 2024
I agree, it's better doing things yourself than using easier methods like hacking or RNGing. There are a lots of methods to get shinies; masuda, chaining, shiny charm, normal hunting, random encounter, SR. The person who likes to hack it's for 2 reasons: 1)they are too lazy and preffer things the easier way 2) they do it just for fun when a game gets boring for them but still do things with their own effort and don't use hacks to troll people.
I think there are more, but im just stating that not everything is black or White.
In breeding mechanics, it always have a chance to choose 1-3 of either parents IV's and the others are random, and since the offspring is generated inside your game, it will always be legit i think, as long as you don't hack your game to have better offsprings or shinies. In other words, if you use natural ways, it's legit, if you hack obviously it's not. If the ditto is hacked to pass all it's IV's to the offspring always, it obviously is hack, but i don't think that exists, and the game always generates acording to IV values and random.

I think I'm writing too much, better stop now before i end up writing a thesis or something similar.
Still for moral purposes, it's better doing things with your own effort and/or luck than using cheating methods to get what you want.

Bobith

Tossin' balls since '99
Years
Well hey guys! I'm new to this club, as you can tell, and since I didn't see any sort of formal introduction, I figured I'd just hop in. Today is pretty special, because I caught my first shiny in 10 years, an exeggecute. The thrill is just the same now as it was then! ^__^

Last edited:

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
Welcome to the club, KurtSnowee! Good luck on the hunt for a shiny Steelix!

Welcome to the club, ViIsOP! I'm sorry to hear about the Koffing.

Welcome to the club, Bobith! Congrats on the shiny Exeggcute!

@Runasutaru: I agree with everyone else that you should stick with the two Nincada. The reward will feel more special doing it that way. Good luck!

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
Well hey guys! I'm new to this club, as you can tell, and since I didn't see any sort of formal introduction, I figured I'd just hop in. Today is pretty special, because I caught my first shiny in 10 years, an exeggecute. The thrill is just the same now as it was then! ^__^

Welcome!

That's a cool and fairly uncommon one to have. Were you looking for that one in particular or was it just a random one?

Agreed it feels great to get one!

Back