Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups
Reload this Page The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old July 1st, 2013 (03:57 PM).
It's so overt, it's covert!
Team Johto

Quote originally posted by Bumi:
It's certainly easy to ignore what random people on the television are saying, but it's not the same when you know those people personally or you see them in your neighborhood. Same-sex marriage is all over the news, and it's great that DOMA was struck down and all, but all it's done is increase my dad's aggression towards gays. His favorite thing to say is that a bomb should be dropped in the middle of a pride parade.

It's unfortunate that people will continue to insist that being gay is immoral and same-sex marriage should be illegal, because no matter what type of victory we get, those types of people will always put a damper on the mood.
Ah yes, I seem to have forgotten about my parents as well.

My mother is tolerant, but my father is not what you could call "lenient" towards gay citizens.

He holds a consistent belief that the only thing President Obama is currently doing wrong is supporting gay marriage and rights, and also has a habit of commenting negatively whenever a gay activist is mentioned.

As time passes, some people have opinions that can eventually turn. Some others are stubborn and will not accept us, but that is the way it shall stay until newer and newer generations come into this world.
Old July 1st, 2013 (07:42 PM).
Team Hoenn

Nature: Calm
His favorite thing to say is that a bomb should be dropped in the middle of a pride parade.
Wow, that's actually a pretty disturbing sentiment, especially considering the recent bombing at the Boston marathon.
Old July 1st, 2013 (08:08 PM).
naughty biscotti
Team Johto
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Insomniac:
He holds a consistent belief that the only thing President Obama is currently doing wrong is supporting gay marriage and rights...
Well it's certainly nice of him to talk about Obama like that considering everything else that's going on at the moment XD

The polls are in: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/03/18/gay-marriage-support-hits-new-high-in-post-abc-poll/

You can check out the trendlines for yourself. Here is a great selection from another article:

Quote:
But supporters of same-sex marriage said the Pew poll reflects a growing acceptance of such unions and a shift in attitudes, as more Americans have gay friends, relatives and co-workers. Pew found that nearly nine out of 10 Americans know someone who is gay, and half said a close friend or relative is gay. The poll said people with gay and lesbian acquaintances are more likely to support same-sex marriage than people who say they don’t know anyone who is gay.

“It’s clear that is not a wedge issue anymore,” said Fred Sainz, a spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign, which advocates changing laws to recognize same-sex marriages. “Not only are Americans supportive of marriage equality, even those who are opposed to it view it as inevitable. That’s a proxy for their eventual support, in my opinion.”

Sainz said opposition to gay marriage often crumbles when people learn how many people they live and work among are gay. “When you get to know them, you quickly find the myths propagated against gay people by our opponents are not true,” he said. “My goal is to get to the point where gay people are thought to be as dull and boring as everyone else, because we are.”
It only gets better. And very soon it will be good enough.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-06-06/national/39776961_1_marriage-equality-gay-marriage-fred-sainz
Old July 2nd, 2013 (06:52 AM).
Team Hoenn

Quote originally posted by Inkblots:
Wow, that's actually a pretty disturbing sentiment, especially considering the recent bombing at the Boston marathon.
Unfortunately, my father has been repeating this years before the Boston bombing, so it isn't anything new (for him). I find it funny (sad? ironic? unbelievable?) that my dad has at least one lesbian friend. He has admitted that she and her partner are nice people, yet he still continues to make negative comments at home.

I used to think he simply exempted people he knew personally, because he has never commented on my own sexual preference and he actually really likes my boyfriend! I tried to get him to stop making the bomb comment year after year by asking, "What if I was at the pride parade?" His response was "Oh, well, I guess you'll be getting blown up too."

Ouch.
Old July 2nd, 2013 (02:12 PM).
Team Johto

I used to think he simply exempted people he knew personally, because he has never commented on my own sexual preference and he actually really likes my boyfriend! I tried to get him to stop making the bomb comment year after year by asking, "What if I was at the pride parade?" His response was "Oh, well, I guess you'll be getting blown up too."

Ouch.
I almost physically hurt inside when I read that. It's too bad your father can't come around.

It's good that he accepts the couple as nice people though. Even though he still makes negative comments, at least he's not one of the "I don't care if they're nice, all gays are bad" people.
Old July 2nd, 2013 (05:42 PM).
naughty biscotti
Team Johto
Crystal Tier

So one of my friends just came out as trans today! It's been many years coming for sure. She's hot as hell now XD It's nice that she's gonna stay herself, I felt do agree with her in that he played up the stereotypes a lot in high school. Glad to see that things are normal now.

Some good news to offset the bad lately. And I also agree that Glee sucks.
Old July 2nd, 2013 (06:43 PM).
Team Johto

Quote originally posted by BlahISuck:
So one of my friends just came out as trans today! It's been many years coming for sure. She's hot as hell now XD It's nice that she's gonna stay herself, I felt do agree with her in that he played up the stereotypes a lot in high school. Glad to see that things are normal now.

Some good news to offset the bad lately. And I also agree that Glee sucks.
Is she mtf? I'm always so confused by the "he"s and "she"s in trans descriptions. I can't tell which was before or after!

Anyways that is a huge step and I'm glad she's happier.
Old July 3rd, 2013 (06:46 AM).
Team Hoenn

Is she mtf? I'm always so confused by the "he"s and "she"s in trans descriptions. I can't tell which was before or after!

You are supposed to refer to a trans person as the gender they are physically transitioning to. I'm going to assume (due to the positive nature of their message) that BlahISuck knows this, so she is most likely MtF.
Old July 3rd, 2013 (07:31 AM).
naughty biscotti
Team Johto
Crystal Tier

I was supposed to respond as soon as I saw your message yesterday with a single "yes" but I was afraid of breaking the 4/25 rule. Here's not not breaking that *cheers*!
Old July 3rd, 2013 (11:06 AM).
Team Johto

Ahh, the character rule :p Don't we just love the character rule?

I knew about transgender terms before, but I always get so confused. I knew you were supposed to call mtf female and ftm male, but it was just confusing reading your paragraph because you referred to her as both, lol
Old July 3rd, 2013 (06:05 PM).
naughty biscotti
Team Johto
Crystal Tier

Well, she really played up the gay stereotype before, so that's why I went with he, but just for that one instance.
Old July 4th, 2013 (02:45 AM).
tempus fugit
Team Hoenn
Administrator BSCS

Nature: Gentle

I'll just leave this here...

x paired with sylphiel x
Old July 5th, 2013 (05:36 AM).
Emile Hersch turned 30 today. Who the hell is Emile Hersch?
Team Kalos
Platinum Tier

Nature: Adamant
This is super late but welcome Bumi! I think you're the first F-to-M transgender person we've ever had here - for some reason they're a lot harder to come by than M-to-F's.

Meanwhile that video was awesome. I love the honesty about it - the douchebag closet case and all.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old July 7th, 2013 (01:06 AM).
Sugary Delight
Team Unova

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to SchwarzRozen
I thought I might as well say a hello to this thread again n,n' (it pains me to say again; why can't I stay on one site at a time gah)

Well its not that it matters too much, I wasnt that "big" on this site or thread. Well, I'm Rozen (or Matt) and I'm genderqueer and pansexual. I'm not a really serious person with sexuality and gender, I'm who I am and I'll like who I like.

So to add something besides my reintroduction; I have some plans for a convention I'm going to (Otakon) - I'm going to be doing some crossplay (which apperently is a bit more taboo for guys?) with Meenah Peixes (homestuck), and I may also rock out some stockings when I go up to the LGBT group center (Don't forget the yaoi and yuri :>),
Old July 8th, 2013 (04:48 PM).
Team Johto

Quote originally posted by SchwarzRozen:
I thought I might as well say a hello to this thread again n,n' (it pains me to say again; why can't I stay on one site at a time gah)

Well its not that it matters too much, I wasnt that "big" on this site or thread. Well, I'm Rozen (or Matt) and I'm genderqueer and pansexual. I'm not a really serious person with sexuality and gender, I'm who I am and I'll like who I like.

So to add something besides my reintroduction; I have some plans for a convention I'm going to (Otakon) - I'm going to be doing some crossplay (which apperently is a bit more taboo for guys?) with Meenah Peixes (homestuck), and I may also rock out some stockings when I go up to the LGBT group center (Don't forget the yaoi and yuri :>),
Hello, welcome to the gayest thread in the land!

I've been wanting to ask this for a long time. What is genderqueer?
Old July 9th, 2013 (06:39 AM).
Emile Hersch turned 30 today. Who the hell is Emile Hersch?
Team Kalos
Platinum Tier

Nature: Adamant
I'm glad I went to all the effort of making Scarf compile that list of definitions in the original post just to have nobody ever see it

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old July 9th, 2013 (07:33 AM).
Sugary Delight
Team Unova

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to SchwarzRozen
I don't care if I get recognized as a girl or a guy, as same as I don't mind being a girl or a guy. I have more girly moments in my life and then I have more boyish moments. Right now I'm in a very girly moment right now, and I love it <3

I have gone through many different identity phases, bouncing around all diffrent trans and non trans identitys, however I've found myself most happy when I'm just apathetic to gender and just kind of go with the flow; if I'm girly then I am girly, and if I'm not then I'm not, simple as that n,n'

Right now I'm in a really girly phase for example however one week from now I could be out of it and just be in a "eh, whatever" kind of mood towards my gender. Sometimes its hard to explain to people around me, so if there is confusion I understand. Not a lot around here seem to understand that I like relax on the raft on gender river than to try to stir the boat one way or another u,u'

but as I said; really don't care as its really something between me, the glitter, the stockings, and myself again. n,n
Old July 9th, 2013 (10:30 AM).
Team Johto

Quote originally posted by SchwarzRozen:
I don't care if I get recognized as a girl or a guy, as same as I don't mind being a girl or a guy. I have more girly moments in my life and then I have more boyish moments. Right now I'm in a very girly moment right now, and I love it <3

I have gone through many different identity phases, bouncing around all diffrent trans and non trans identitys, however I've found myself most happy when I'm just apathetic to gender and just kind of go with the flow; if I'm girly then I am girly, and if I'm not then I'm not, simple as that n,n'

Right now I'm in a really girly phase for example however one week from now I could be out of it and just be in a "eh, whatever" kind of mood towards my gender. Sometimes its hard to explain to people around me, so if there is confusion I understand. Not a lot around here seem to understand that I like relax on the raft on gender river than to try to stir the boat one way or another u,u'

but as I said; really don't care as its really something between me, the glitter, the stockings, and myself again. n,n
So basically you're whatever the heck you want, go with the flow? Sounds awesome :D
Old July 10th, 2013 (08:32 AM).
Team Unova
Silver Tier

I hope someday in the future everyone will just "go with the flow." Like, not everyone being genderfluid or genderqueer or anything like that necessarily. Just that no one will wonder or care if you're male or female or both or neither or if you're not the same thing you were last week.
Old July 10th, 2013 (01:45 PM).
Team Johto

Quote originally posted by Scarf:
I hope someday in the future everyone will just "go with the flow." Like, not everyone being genderfluid or genderqueer or anything like that necessarily. Just that no one will wonder or care if you're male or female or both or neither or if you're not the same thing you were last week.
Yeah I agree. I just wish no one cared what anyone was. As long as they're good people, then I'm cool with 'em!
Old July 10th, 2013 (06:43 PM).
Axel
Team Kalos
Silver Tier

Nature: Timid
I know I'm not part of the club or anything but I always wanted to ask this question. It was in my mind for a little while now. It's mostly directed to those who change genders through an operation : Why would you do it?
I don't quite get why one would like to change his gender and if possible, I'd like to get some answers on it. I mean no harm and excuse me if this offense anyone in any manner.
Old July 10th, 2013 (06:58 PM).
naughty biscotti
Team Johto
Crystal Tier

There are people who grow up feeling that their body and soul don't match. So they decide to match the body to the soul.
Old July 10th, 2013 (08:00 PM).
Team Hoenn

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Scarf:
I'm back! Work is crazy *dies*

Anyway, I totally agree with this. The older I get, the more I really don't care what gender a person is.
Old July 10th, 2013 (09:42 PM). Edited July 10th, 2013 by TornZero.
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Team Hoenn

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
Quote originally posted by JNathan:
I know I'm not part of the club or anything but I always wanted to ask this question. It was in my mind for a little while now. It's mostly directed to those who change genders through an operation : Why would you do it?
I don't quite get why one would like to change his gender and if possible, I'd like to get some answers on it. I mean no harm and excuse me if this offense anyone in any manner.
Non-hateful questions are very welcome, as far as I know. It only takes a little effort to understand it, even if you don't accept it, as long as you're not actively going against it. In answer, it's not just a change -- it's a correction. A bug fix, so to speak.

Think about this: if something in your body wasn't wired properly according to your brain, wouldn't you want to have that resolved?

If there's a bug in your game that affects how the end-user plays it, like a clipping issue or models that aren't being rendered incorrectly (such as parts being too big or too small), you'd want to get rid of the bug so the player can fully enjoy the game.

For a minority of players it's tolerable, even if they can't really enjoy it; they just want to get through the game. For others, they find debilitating issues surrounding that bug, preventing them from progressing; in severe cases, such as a total lack of tech support (or worse, tech support laughs at the player and/or blames them for the bug), players can throw in the controller and give up on the game altogether. (This is, of course, to imply attempts at suicide. Many transpeople have attempted suicide due to lack of support and mockery from the people they need the emotional strength from.)

You can also relate it to a phantom limb sensation, since that's something nearly everyone understands. The limb isn't there after you've lost it, but your brain still thinks it is due to wiring; it's a part of your body, even if it isn't there, and your brain knows it. Therefore, you feel as if the limb was still attached to you. For transpeople, this is one explanation of how their brain-body relationship works.

It isn't so much as being "a man trapped in a woman's body" or vice versa. I actually find this phrasing offensive when used personally. My body is, in fact, mine; there are just some bugs in the programming.

Hopefully this helps you understand it in more personal terms (rather than social or spiritual) if at least a bit.

Also, instead of double-posting under the new account, announcement time as if my signature wasn't enough: I'm moving accounts for very little reason besides wanting to move accounts to coincide with various other movements (and potential, hopeful movements) going on in my life, so I'll be posting under that one from now on.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old July 11th, 2013 (08:25 AM).
Team Unova
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by JNathan:
Imagine that suddenly everybody have feet instead of hands and vice versa, but you still feel how you do now. Everyone tells you it's normal to have feet on your arms and hands on your legs, but you feel that you have to have hands on your arms. It's just something you know is right for you.

The simplest way of explaining it is that it comes down to being comfortable with yourself. Most people don't worry about this aspect of themselves because they're already comfortable with that part of themselves. They are biologically male or female, people treat them male or female, and that's how they feel about themselves.

There are people who are only sort of uncomfortable up through people who are very uncomfortable and depending on what each person feels they need to do to be themselves determines if they'll have surgeries or hormones. Not everyone will have the same exact reasons or experiences though.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links