Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Flandre Scarlet
Free your mind.
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
I've just noticed that when I enter a battle, the moves that aren't learned by a Pokémon are displayed as weird characters, namely, letter A's with accents. Have a look:

If anyone has any ideas to fix this, please tell me. It's rather annoying and disgusting to see, hahaha. I was thinking I could edit the font for the attacks, and just erase out those A's, but I don't know the pointer and the method of editing either.

Cheers.

EDIT: Nevermind, it appeared that there was a few unknown bytes at the beginning of my repointed attack move table, so I just changed them to the original and its fixed. Just letting people know in case this happens to anyone else (in the unlikely event).

Last edited by Flandre Scarlet; July 4th, 2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
HackMew wrote some code and a template script for taking away pokemon. There is a whole thread for it in R&D if I am not mistaken.

Delete the map script. It is in the header for map 3.0.
I still want oak to take them to the lab but the new location.
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:11 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post
I still want oak to take them to the lab but the new location.
Then you need to write a new script or just repoint and rewrite the movements. If oak isn't showing up, then you need to create a nee sprite if you deleted it, or deal with the flags would hide it if it does still exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDash View Post
can someone tell me what i may be doing wrong?

Spoiler:
It is reading random bytes as text. If Physo Boost is nit the last move, don't worry about it. If there are moves after it, then you most likely corruped the data that stores attack names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandre Scarlet View Post
I've just noticed that when I enter a battle, the moves that aren't learned by a Pokémon are displayed as weird characters, namely, letter A's with accents. Have a look:

If anyone has any ideas to fix this, please tell me. It's rather annoying and disgusting to see, hahaha. I was thinking I could edit the font for the attacks, and just erase out those A's, but I don't know the pointer and the method of editing either.

Cheers.

EDIT: Nevermind, it appeared that there was a few unknown bytes at the beginning of my repointed attack move table, so I just changed them to the original and its fixed. Just letting people know in case this happens to anyone else (in the unlikely event).
@ForeverDash- you most likely have a similar issue to this if Phsyco Boost is not the last move created in Gen IiI.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; July 4th, 2013 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:19 AM
NaudaBase
The real Swampert

Nature: Calm
Hi everybody i'm new so dont hesitate to tell me where to post my question if this is not the right place for it
This question might have been asked before, but i did look on the forum, and after quite a few pages seen i didnt find my answer
The problem is that recently i changed from PC to Mac, and while i did not have any problem to find a good PC gba emulator, on mac, it is already much harder to find.
I have tried boycott advance (it has an awfully crappy sound on mac --') and a few VBA versions, but they didnt really convince me at all
Did any of you guys had the same problem as me and found a solution, or am i doomed to play with bad mac emulators :'( ?
If there is one thing i do not allow my enemies to do, it is mocking me... Oh, and also, living to see another day.
Old July 4th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Synchronous
Lying is my forte, you know?
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Synchronous
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaudaBase View Post
Hi everybody i'm new so dont hesitate to tell me where to post my question if this is not the right place for it
This question might have been asked before, but i did look on the forum, and after quite a few pages seen i didnt find my answer
The problem is that recently i changed from PC to Mac, and while i did not have any problem to find a good PC gba emulator, on mac, it is already much harder to find.
I have tried boycott advance (it has an awfully crappy sound on mac --') and a few VBA versions, but they didnt really convince me at all
Did any of you guys had the same problem as me and found a solution, or am i doomed to play with bad mac emulators :'( ?
I have a solution just for you. If you have Java, then that's good. Download Java VirtualBox here.

Then go online and search for a Windows OS .iso file, and use the Java VirtualBox tutorial here.

After it's set up, just put VisualBoy on your virtual machine, as if it were your own computer.

I can't give you any more links, because it'd be against the forum rules.

If you have any more questions, you can VM/PM me.

Edit: If you don't want to take up a decent amount of space on your computer for using Windows applications, you could use WINE Compatibility Service or this rather glitchy version of VBA for Mac.
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:01 PM
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com

Is it possible to change the old man's backsprite according to gender? Or just multiple switches?
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:06 PM
ace_45
gotta love me

Nature: Relaxed
I have a question about a rom cheat

I'm trying to get the 1000 exp one ,rare candy,and tm,but i can't find any that works. Could someone help me find the code? i think a master code is needed to right?

cerdit for tag belongs to Choas death of DA
"" Power isn't determined by the size of your fist,but the size of your heart and dreams."
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Then you need to write a new script or just repoint and rewrite the movements. If oak isn't showing up, then you need to create a nee sprite if you deleted it, or deal with the flags would hide it if it does still exist.

It is reading random bytes as text. If Physo Boost is nit the last move, don't worry about it. If there are moves after it, then you most likely corruped the data that stores attack names.

@ForeverDash- you most likely have a similar issue to this if Phsyco Boost is not the last move created in Gen IiI.
So you know how I can fix this?
SIMPLE is the new SMART
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:26 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_45 View Post
I have a question about a rom cheat

I'm trying to get the 1000 exp one ,rare candy,and tm,but i can't find any that works. Could someone help me find the code? i think a master code is needed to right?
This is not the place to ask this. This is *ROM* hacking. What you are asking for is *RAM* hacking. Find a different location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
Is it possible to change the old man's backsprite according to gender? Or just multiple switches?
Use the backsprite switcher in JPAN's engine. That is the only way right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDash View Post
So you know how I can fix this?
I just checked. Psycho Boost is the last move created in Gen III. Just don't touch anything past it and you should be fine.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; July 4th, 2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:45 PM
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com

Could you maybe show an example of how I could switch the sprite?
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:54 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Could you maybe show an example of how I could switch the sprite?
This would go in the script before you called the old man battle:

checkgender
compare 0x800D 0x0
If 0x1 goto @boy
Compare 0x800D 0x1
If 0x1 goto @girl
(Rest of regular script)

#org @boy/@girl
Setvar 0x[Var you picked for backsprite switch] 0x[Backsprite # you want, that is in the table you made]
return

Paired with Simba
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:26 PM
silviog.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviog.s View Post
Another simple question: anyone knows what are the flags for getting the Frontier Symbols (both Silver and Gold) in Pokémon Emerald?
Nevermind, I ended up figuring out.

Another simple question: anyone knows how can I make a script where a NPC gives me some Battle Points (BP) in Pokémon Emerald?
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Sky93

Quote:
There are unknown bytes associated with each OW, so if two have the same unknown byte, they will share the same pal in-game. in NSE press ctrl and M. Then in the bottom right, it says a sprite pointer or something. go there in a hex editor. you should find a string soon after XX 01 00 00. Change XX until it's ok in-game.
I tried doing that and it's still showing up funky. It was originally FF 01 00 01 and I changed it to FF F1 00 01 and I even tried FA 01 00 01 to no avail. Any other suggestions or am I just doing this wrong?

ROMs I Support:
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Jay the penguin

I have a question about the warp command in xse

I am trying to use the warp command in one of my scripts and it just takes me to a black screen. What can I do to fix that?

My Hack!
Visit the thread!
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Wobbu
γ ℯ ℯ

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay the penguin View Post

I am trying to use the warp command in one of my scripts and it just takes me to a black screen. What can I do to fix that?
Make sure that the map bank number and map number and coordinates are in hex, not decimal.
Also, put waitstate on the next line.

Code:
#org @example
warp 0xA 0x21 0xFF 0xC 0x2
waitstate
end

Avatar Source | Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: DARK // NORMAL
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Gigal1

Hi guys I have a simple question, what's the best pokemon rom to hack? tool wise.
Old July 5th, 2013, 02:23 AM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviog.s View Post
Another simple question: anyone knows how can I make a script where a NPC gives me some Battle Points (BP) in Pokémon Emerald?
You can give the player Battle Points by using the following commands in XSE:

Code:
setvar 0x8004 0xYY // Where 0xYY is the number of Battle Points you wish to give
special 0x1CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay the penguin View Post

In addition to what jsziede said above, ensure that the map you're warping to isn't corrupted. Try walking through a regular door warp on the overworld in addition to warping through scripting. If you still wind up with a black screen then the chances are that your map's data has been corrupted somewhere along the way. You will have to reinsert the map or repoint any misdirected footers if this is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigal1 View Post
Hi guys I have a simple question, what's the best pokemon rom to hack? tool wise.
In terms of what game is the best to hack, that's a pretty subjective question. However, just about anybody will tell you that Fire Red has the most compatibility with tools. If that's all you're looking for then go for FR, but don't let accessibility be the only deciding factor when deciding which ROM to hack.

Last edited by DrFuji; July 5th, 2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:41 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky93 View Post
I tried doing that and it's still showing up funky. It was originally FF 01 00 01 and I changed it to FF F1 00 01 and I even tried FA 01 00 01 to no avail. Any other suggestions or am I just doing this wrong?
You are changing the wrong thing, there should not be any FFs there to start off with. The person who explained this best is JPAN. Download a copy of his hacked engine v1.1 and open up the .doc file on his zipped folder. Now scroll down until you get to the section titled, "Overworld Data Explained". Read all of it and you will figure out how to change the palette slot.

Paired with Simba
Old July 5th, 2013, 04:25 AM
M.L
Busy atm

I am using Jpans engine and i added the usual bytes for surf although it now changes the OW to the bike and then freezes the player but animations still play....
I have tried other bytes. and it still does this.
Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this?
Fluffy
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:47 AM
magistovolt

What line do I edit and how do I edit it in a HEX editor to make it so all pokemon with a different ID will obey the trainer.

Im using cygnus free version
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Jay the penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsziede View Post
Make sure that the map bank number and map number and coordinates are in hex, not decimal.
Also, put waitstate on the next line.

Code:
#org @example
warp 0xA 0x21 0xFF 0xC 0x2
waitstate
end
Well I did try that actually and it still just takes me to a black screen but maybe I'll try again.
thanks though!

My Hack!
Visit the thread!
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:48 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L View Post
I am using Jpans engine and i added the usual bytes for surf although it now changes the OW to the bike and then freezes the player but animations still play....
I have tried other bytes. and it still does this.
Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this?
Easy, reset the var that controls byte ows to 0 using the setvar command in a script. There is also a byte that needs to be changed to FF in the routine, but I need to dig that up.

Paired with Simba
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:39 PM
MasterWarlord

Has any workaround been found yet for the 25 slots between Celebi and Treecko? As far as I currently know, they're not allowed to be obtained because the Pokedex crashes the game when they are. They have to essentially be enemy trainer only.
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:34 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWarlord View Post
Has any workaround been found yet for the 25 slots between Celebi and Treecko? As far as I currently know, they're not allowed to be obtained because the Pokedex crashes the game when they are. They have to essentially be enemy trainer only.
You can also have them be evolutions and give pokemon stuff. They just can't be put in the position where their dex entries would be loaded. Unless you have Jambo51's asm skill, this is the best you can do.

Paired with Simba
Old July 5th, 2013, 11:27 PM
athenian200

When I start a new game normally in Pokémon Emerald, and exit the truck... my Mom talks to me as soon as I exit the truck, and this begins a script that leads me inside the house.

I'm in the process of moving this event to another town. I've gotten as far as having the player exit the truck at the new location, and making the truck appear or disappear based on flags. However, so far I have NOT been able to find ANY method of triggering a script the moment you exit the truck (such as happens in the normal game). Putting a script on the title you start off on doesn't work, I've tried it... such a script only activates once you step off the tile and then move back onto it. :/

All that's covered in tutorials is how to make scripts that trigger when you step on a tile, read a sign, or talk to someone. I would have examined the script in the default game for hints, but I can't seem to find a script with that dialogue in the truck, OR on any NPC/script tile in Littleroot Town itself. So, I'm completely baffled as to how the game triggers this.

Is there a special method of making scripts trigger the moment you enter an area?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here