Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development
Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:37 PM
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
What do you mean you can't find it?
I keep ctrl+f-ing the offset or different parts of the code and the things says that it can't find ANY of it.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:20 AM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugia_Da_Boss View Post
I keep ctrl+f-ing the offset or different parts of the code and the things says that it can't find ANY of it.
You shouldn't be using Ctrl+F (find), you need to use Ctrl+G (go to). In this tutorial HackMew has given you the offsets which you need to change to 00 rather than a line of code which you're supposed to find for yourself.
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
You shouldn't be using Ctrl+F (find), you need to use Ctrl+G (go to). In this tutorial HackMew has given you the offsets which you need to change to 00 rather than a line of code which you're supposed to find for yourself.
Well, ctrl+G won't let me use letters, it calls them invalid digits.
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:51 AM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Quote:
Well, ctrl+G won't let me use letters, it calls them invalid digits.
Make sure you're searching in HEX values rather than decimal.
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

Quote:
Make sure you're searching in HEX values rather than decimal.
I'm searching in HEX alright. That;'s the default thing it searches in.
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:40 AM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Quote:
I'm searching in HEX alright. That;'s the default thing it searches in.
In that case I'd suggest trying to find the offset manually by just scrolling down throughout the ROM until reaching and changing it accordingly. It is more tedious but it will definitely work.

If you don't want to do that then perhaps you could try downloading another HEX editor as the one you're using doesn't want to agree with you :P
Old September 2nd, 2012, 08:32 PM
ShinyDragonHunter
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
How would this effect the Pokémon Center link rooms (Trade Center, Colosseum etc)?
I mean would it cause bugs if you tried to run while in link with another game?
Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:37 AM
JackHack96
Little Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyDragonHunter View Post
How would this effect the Pokémon Center link rooms (Trade Center, Colosseum etc)?
I mean would it cause bugs if you tried to run while in link with another game?
No, I don't believe it! Try with VBA-Link!

EDIT: Ok! I've tested it with VBA-Link! Appearently there are no bugs! So, run everywhere! =)
There are some things hackers can't hack. For everything else, there's Crystal Tile! :D

Visit my website, Hack Rom Tools, here you can find useful tools for ROM hacking.

Last edited by JackHack96; September 3rd, 2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:22 AM
ShinyDragonHunter
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHack96 View Post
No, I don't believe it! Try with VBA-Link!

EDIT: Ok! I've tested it with VBA-Link! Appearently there are no bugs! So, run everywhere! =)
So does the game you're linking with show the character running, and the double movement speed?
You know what? I'll see for myself.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:34 AM
JackHack96
Little Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyDragonHunter View Post
So does the game you're linking with show the character running, and the double movement speed?
You know what? I'll see for myself.
Yes! It does! However, see it! =)
There are some things hackers can't hack. For everything else, there's Crystal Tile! :D

Visit my website, Hack Rom Tools, here you can find useful tools for ROM hacking.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:39 AM
harry95
Unhatched Egg

How to do it?
What program?
Please,HELP!!!!
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:14 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry95 View Post
How to do it?
What program?
Please,HELP!!!!
Seriously? It's called a hex editor. HxD is the best, but GoldFinger supports .tbl files. Heck, there is even hex editor on the app store if you want to hack on the go.:D

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; March 4th, 2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Problem doesn't occur now.
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM
pepepepote
Booted out - don't be like me!

how do it¿¿¿¿¿¿ please name of program

thanks
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:09 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepepote View Post
how do it¿¿¿¿¿¿ please name of program

thanks
*facepalm* HxD and/or Goldfinger. These are hex editors.....

Paired with Simba
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Uikri

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Seriously? It's called a hex editor. HxD is the best, but GoldFinger supports .tbl files. Heck, there is even hex editor on the app store if you want to hack on the go.:D
Will they work on ROMs that have been previously run through a randomizer, or do I have to edit them first?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:28 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uikri View Post
Will they work on ROMs that have been previously run through a randomizer, or do I have to edit them first?
All a hex editor does is open the game up in it's binary code (as hexidecimals of course). It doesn't matter what you do to the game, you could corrupt the game beyond repair and the hex editor will still open the file.

Paired with Simba
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Uikri

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
All a hex editor does is open the game up in it's binary code (as hexidecimals of course). It doesn't matter what you do to the game, you could corrupt the game beyond repair and the hex editor will still open the file.
EDIT: Holy cow how do I do this (See attachment)? I'm using Emerald, and I had to use GoldFinger because when trying to use HxD, it required the admin password, and even when my dad entered it, it would say "I have some issues starting up. Relaunch me!" It didn't work either of the two times I tried.
Is 1.7.7.0 the latest version of HxD?

Quote:
I don't understand then. Could you please explain what we are looking for, how we find it, and what we replace it with? (EDIT: Okay, I've figured out that I have to replace 0811A1E8 with 0011A1E8, but when I type in that offset in the "Go to" box, nothing appears. Granted, that could be because of how it's displaying. I do not know how to manually locate 0811A1E8 because nothing like that is being listed in the table.)
Attached Images
File Type: png howdoiusethis.png‎ (44.0 KB, 10 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by Uikri; July 4th, 2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added extra information.
Old July 5th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Sagiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uikri View Post
EDIT: Holy cow how do I do this (See attachment)? I'm using Emerald, and I had to use GoldFinger because when trying to use HxD, it required the admin password, and even when my dad entered it, it would say "I have some issues starting up. Relaunch me!" It didn't work either of the two times I tried.
Is 1.7.7.0 the latest version of HxD?

I don't understand then. Could you please explain what we are looking for, how we find it, and what we replace it with? (EDIT: Okay, I've figured out that I have to replace 0811A1E8 with 0011A1E8, but when I type in that offset in the "Go to" box, nothing appears. Granted, that could be because of how it's displaying. I do not know how to manually locate 0811A1E8 because nothing like that is being listed in the table.)
You need to go to 0811A1E8 and replace 08 with 00. However, Hex Editors will tell you that doesn't exist, because all they do is display the rom - when using the goto function, just from the beginning 08.

Edit:I just realized that this comment makes no sense. It was supposed to say "just remove the beginning 08". I have no idea where "from" came from.

Last edited by Sagiri; July 5th, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Uikri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bear View Post
You need to go to 0811A1E8 and replace 08 with 00. However, Hex Editors will tell you that doesn't exist, because all they do is display the rom - when using the goto function, just from the beginning 08.
Yes, I have since figured out that they most certainly will tell you that. For future reference, for anybody that needs clarification, in order to go to 0811A1E8, you have to only search the last six digits (11A1E8). Then your editor will take you to a byte labeled "08". That is what you replace with "00".
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here