The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:15 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I see it being a lightning bruiser aka it hits fast and hard, but with potentially low defense and special attack, not quite sure what to make of it's HP.
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
By typing alone, Honedge is a really good Terrakion check, considering that it resists/is immune to all its commonly used moves (immune to Close Combat, Sacred Sword and Quick Attack, while resisting Stone Edge, Rock Slide and X-Scissor) (this, of course, is assuming that Honedge has high enough defenses to make good use of its plentiful resistances). As for its stats, I think that it'll be a physically offensive version of Cofagrigus, with slightly higher Attack and slightly toned down defenses (because swords are offensive tools, after all, though they can also be used for defending).

Since it's floating, I hope it gets Levitate so that its Ground weakness is completely irrelevant; if that's the case, this would make it really good on rain teams that have difficulty with Terrakion. If Honedge doesn't get Levitate, and if Honedge somehow is good in OU, then Terrakion just may be forced to run Earthquake just to deal with it.

Edit: just realized that if Honedge gets Levitate, then it would also have a resistance to QuakeEdge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Honedge really does have some great competitive potential, no surprise if I see this thing in OU or something. It could make an awesome wall to Terrakion, being resistant and immune to its most used attacks, and assuming this thing gets Levitate the only thing that can easily stop it is Fire-types, whose power gets weakened in the rain so I could see Honedge (or its possible evolutions) being a common occurrence on Rain teams like Ferrothorn is.

As far as stats go, I could see Attack being its highest stat, with both defenses and Speed close behind, and I think Special Attack would be its worst stat. I can see it being a good physical sweeper but also being able to take a few hits here and there. Levitate would make this thing awesome so I am hoping it gets that ability since its battle scene shows it floating.

Love how we have so much more potential competitive talk about this one Pokemon than the brand new type XD Both are shrouded in mystery but we can probably be more accurate with this Pokemon than the new Type~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
I see it being a lightning bruiser aka it hits fast and hard, but with potentially low defense and special attack, not quite sure what to make of it's HP.
Kinda out of character for steel types. They are known for their defensive natures, even those with heavy attack power. I can see some moderate to fast Speed (it barely weighs anything and fits in with the characteristic of a sword), moderate to high attack, low special attack, and Moderate Defense and Special defense with low to moderate HP.

I can see it capable of taking a hit and dishing out a major hit on its own, but having some fairly low to medium levels for HP. Something a bit higher than say Shuckle. Close if not maybe a couple 20 points more.
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Honedge better be an efficient glass cannon, that's all I care about. Though honestly, I don't even expect it to be that frail, if anything. Mid-low HP yes, but I don't think it's defenses would be terrible by any means. I think it would be livable; I can imagine defense being around 90, special defense probably 70-75.
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Azure
» e l e c t r i c
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Honedge is certainly a unique Pokémon out of the bunch we've seen so far, I've only just seen it so I'm not sure quite how I feel about it just yet...

Old July 6th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Here's how I imagine Honedge's stats could be:

HP: 55
Attk: 120
Def: 80
SpA: 60
SpD: 80
Spe: 75
Total: 475

If it's a stand alone Pokemon, then I expect its toal base stats to around the same number as Druddigon's.
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Azure
» e l e c t r i c
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I can't see it having an evolution but I can definitely see it having a high Defense and SP. Defense from its appearence.

Old July 6th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Here's how I imagine Honedge's stats could be:

HP: 55
Attk: 120
SpA: 60
SpD: 80
Spe: 75
Total: 475

If it's a stand alone Pokemon, then I expect its toal base stats to around the same number as Druddigon's.
See I'm seeing a bit more...closer to Aerodactyl base stat wise. Something near half of Shuckle's Defense/Sp.Def...I dunno why honestly...I want it to be bulky.

HP: 50
Atk: 120
Def: 105
Sp.Atk: 60
Sp.Def: 105
Spd: 80
Total: 520

I can see it with slightly less Sp. Def for a little more HP as well.

HP: 70
Sp.Def: 85
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

The thing is....I suppose both of those base stats don't really make sense to me because that's a ridiculously high attack stat (for obvious reasons), but with barely enough speed to even go first to land a hit. Now don't get me wrong, I know someone is going to quote me and bring up Druddigon's usefulness and whatever in the metagame, but honestly? Druddigon functions well in trick room, and base 75-80 is such an awkward speed tier; I don't believe it's enough to outspeed anything actually threatening while at the same time, it's not a low enough speed tier to function well in trick room.

For me, this is how I imagine its base stats would be

HP: Something low, probably 65
SP Atk: 60
SP. Def: 80
Speed: 90

Total: 495

If you really want to cross over that base "500" mark, then I suppose you can add 15 more points to speed and make it a base 105 because 90 is "so-so" even for current generation UU. If the power creep continues, then speed is definitely going to matter a lot more.

If you want more bulk, then trade that in for speed/a bit of offense so it can operate well in TR:

HP: 80
Atk: 90
Def: 110
Satk: 60
Sp Def: 110
Speed: 30

Total: 480

At least that way, it has some bulk to set up things like TR and Swords Dance (assuming it learns those) and prepare for a sweep if necessary.

I'm basing this spread off of Cofagrigus.

Last edited by Zorua; July 6th, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old July 6th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Khrysta

My general knowledge with swords, speed sacrifices power and vice versa. You have some designs that allow you to hit hard but they can be slow due to weight and some that hit fast but the attacks won't do much damage wise. (You have to take into account style as well as user's strength)

So to me with the high attack and moderate speed with high moderate defenses make complete sense.
Old July 6th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Community Supporter

Or it could be fast with moderate attack and defenses if they go the sacrificing power for speed route...
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
See I'm seeing a bit more...closer to Aerodactyl base stat wise. Something near half of Shuckle's Defense/Sp.Def...I dunno why honestly...I want it to be bulky.

HP: 50
Sp.Def: 105

I can see it with slightly less Sp. Def for a little more HP as well.

HP: 70
Sp.Def: 85
Game Freak has stopped making regular Stand Alone Pokemon with 500+ base stats after Gen 1, or was it Gen 2, so I doubt Honedge would have a 520 (unless there already exist a post-Gen 1/2 stand alone Pokemon with 500+ stats that I may have forgotten).
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Dear lord, leave for a few weeks and see how much you miss? I HAVE SOME CATCHING UP TO DO!

As far as Honedge's BST goes, I really don't see it being a defensive Pokémon. I mean...it's a sword. Which is used as a weapon offensively. It kind of just makes sense for it to be primarily an attacker to me, specifically a physical attacker. I'd love to see it maybe have some mixed attacking stats and a decent speed, medium HP, and lower defenses. Kind of glass cannon-ish but not really at the same time. I think it having the Ghost typing just gives it more possibilities.
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Game Freak has stopped making regular Stand Alone Pokemon with 500+ base stats after Gen 1, or was it Gen 2, so I doubt Honedge would have a 520 (unless there already exist a post-Gen 1/2 stand alone Pokemon with 500+ stats that I may have forgotten).
Gamefreak has also never updated a legendary pokemon outside of the generation it was introduced...yet we have a new Mewtwo form with a potential stat altering. Gen 5 also comes close with Sigilyph caping at 490. 10 points way isn't a small margin. Its a hair's breadth from the mark. Just because it hasn't been done since Gen 1 or Gen 2 has already been shown to be a dead statement. Not only the Mewtwo thing but since Gen 2 we've never had a new type exist, now we have fairies.

Honedge can have roughly any BST thats there under 600. My hopes are for 500+ on the low side. That what I want it to have.

@jake. Swords are defensive weapons too. Most proper techniques taught are how to use the swords for aggressive defense in which you slide the sword and use opponents momentum against them. The style is one of many made and perfected in france, especially for blades that look like honedge. A sword also has to have a certain defensive level to be able to survive a blow whether from it or against it. If the sword's defenses are weak, hitting it in key spots will break it fairly easily. You can snap a sword swinging it against something weaker that it if it hits in the wrong spot or is made poorly in material resulting in weak defenses.
Old July 7th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Very valid points. I was going from the moreso stereotypical aspect of swords, and how they are thought to be offensive weapons. Of course, parrying and using momentum to defend yourself is important as well. I didn't know that those sort of things were perfected in France though. If that's the case, perhaps Honedge will have a more balanced stat pool to represent both it's offensive prowess as well as it's defending abilities?
Old July 7th, 2013, 04:29 PM
WolfMirage
"Last Raven"

Nature: Bold
heres some thing to think about

with this new fairy typ coming into play i wonder if the final elite 4/champion will still be using dragon typ poke in x and y, cause 2 the best of my knowledge the champion as always used dragon typ
Old July 7th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMirage View Post

with this new fairy typ coming into play i wonder if the final elite 4/champion will still be using dragon typ poke in x and y, cause 2 the best of my knowledge the champion as always used dragon typ
Honestly?

It wouldn't surprise me if the new Champion were to use something like fairy-type, if that's what you're trying to say. But just because fairy-types exist, doesn't mean that the usage of dragon-type Pokemon is going to plummet spontaneously. In-game, I can imagine a dragon-type gym leader or so, or perhaps a dragon-type elite four member if possible, and then fairy-type could be the last elite four member/the champion.

It could go either way, really. I personally wouldn't mind, seeing as we haven't had true dragon-type champion since Lance (Gen 3 had Drake, Cynthia only really used Garchomp and Iris just used Hydreigon?).
Old July 7th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Callīope
█ uranianUmbra

Send a message via AIM to Callīope Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Callīope Send a message via Skype™ to Callīope
Whether or not the Champion uses a fairy type, will probably depend on how good that type turns out to be. It might be new, and shiny, but I read it off automatically as a type that might not be too dominating in terms of power. It might be like bug types, not often used, but they can be good if you raise them right. I'm just guessing, though.

It would be neat to see the Champion use fairy Pokemon, but regardless, I think they'll still have one or two Dragon types.

- also Drew.

paired to timaeusTestified

this is how to be a heart breaker
boys, they like a little danger.
i la-la-la-la-love you. ❤
[S] The Prince is Awake.
tumblr || EGC || flavors.me
Old July 7th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMirage View Post

Gen 1 Champion was mixed team (Blue). Gen 2 was part Dragon (Lance)((Part Dragon because 3/5 were dragons and the other two were dragon like, but not dragons)), Gen 3 was Steel/Rock themed (Steven who specializes in Steel types but always has fossils on his team.) and Water (Wallace). Gen 4 was mixed (Cynthia), then Gen 5 had a Bug Mixed (Three of Alder's Pokemon were Bug and the other three weren't. Iris had a Dragon Mix with 3 being Dragon adn 3 being "Dragon like, like Lance's team).

Really we've never had any main themed Dragon Champions. They had Dragons on their team but even the two with Dragon theme'd, there haven't been a full team of Dragons...Only half of their teams were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Honestly?

It wouldn't surprise me if the new Champion were to use something like fairy-type, if that's what you're trying to say. But just because fairy-types exist, doesn't mean that the usage of dragon-type Pokemon is going to plummet spontaneously. In-game, I can imagine a dragon-type gym leader or so, or perhaps a dragon-type elite four member if possible, and then fairy-type could be the last elite four member/the champion.

It could go either way, really. I personally wouldn't mind, seeing as we haven't had true dragon-type champion since Lance (Gen 3 had Drake, Cynthia only really used Garchomp and Iris just used Hydreigon?).
Iris had three Dragons on her team, Hydreigon, Haxorus, and Druddigon. Her signature was Haxorus (since its the highest level).

I can see Fairy as a Gym more than E4 at the moment. I see the Champion being mixed or something we won't expect. Like if Fairy is weak to poison then maybe Poison could be the champion. Or they may do water again since its a beauty theme. Since there is a part that makes me think that fire is an E4 member I can't say that Fire will be champion.
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I could see Fairy going either way as far as Gym type or an Elite Four/Champion type. I'm kind of doubting it being the Champion's type honestly, just because (as Xander has stated) the Champions don't generally have a full team of one type (Generally a mixture of types or a monotype with Pokémon that look like that type as well, with Wallace being the exception). As an Elite Four member or a Gym Leader I expect to see Fairy type present. If anything, when Steel and Dark were introduced they were thrown into both a Gym (Jasmine) and an Elite Four member (Jasmine). With the release of it they're definitely going to want to highlight it somehow.
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
I can see Fairy as a Gym more than E4 at the moment. I see the Champion being mixed or something we won't expect. Like if Fairy is weak to poison then maybe Poison could be the champion. Or they may do water again since its a beauty theme. Since there is a part that makes me think that fire is an E4 member I can't say that Fire will be champion.
Eh. Whilst I agree that this is a totally different generation, I don't really see water as being the champion's type or anything like that. I mean, it's been done once in R/S/E and....I dunno, I'd rather something more exciting, actually. I kind of miss the champion having types, I feel it makes them more challenging (see: Lance, even though dragons are ice weak, he was still a pretty decent challenger).
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Eh. Whilst I agree that this is a totally different generation, I don't really see water as being the champion's type or anything like that. I mean, it's been done once in R/S/E and....I dunno, I'd rather something more exciting, actually. I kind of miss the champion having types, I feel it makes them more challenging (see: Lance, even though dragons are ice weak, he was still a pretty decent challenger).
I only say Water because Water, and Ice for that matter, are usually things of beauty. Since the overall theme for Kalos is supposed to be beauty, those two seem most plausible. Fire would have been up there but there was that part in the video of the fire pillars which looked like an E4 room entry.
Old July 7th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Community Supporter

@ Twilight Sky: Correction only Emerald has had water as a champion type as Ruby and Sapphire had Steven who specializes in mainly Steel.

I think that Grass could be a champion type as they could go the whole garden route with it, though if that place with vines is a gym the chances drop, though Hoenn in Emerald did have both a water gym and Champion with water types, and so did Johto and Unova only with the dragon type instead in Gold,Silver, Crystal, and their remakes, and in Black 2 and White 2 respectively. In both Gen 2 and Emerald it was the eighth gym and Black 2 and White 2 the champ shared her speciality with the former 8th gym leader of that set's prequels (Drayden or herself depending on the version).
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:39 PM
WolfMirage
"Last Raven"

@Magmaruby and Aquasapphire: i highly doubt grass champion, i mean that tema would be taken out very easy, as there really isnt any good offence grass pokes

id love to c to grass typs become more dominat in x and y, cause all the games up to now really havent done any favors for grass pokes, i mean grass pokes over all r general one of most under used and not need needed typs in the games and to the best of my knowlege there r only about 3 or 4 grass pokes in the ou teir, i know there parasect(but thats only on rain dance team), sawbuck, ferrothron and i think maybe shaymin and celebie

as far as Honedge gos for stats, id say it gonna have good defence(as most steel typs do have), not sure about specail def and may good specail attack, as most gosht typ do genneraly have good special attack
Honedge stats:
hp: mid
att: low-mid
def: mid-high
spe att: mid-high
spe def: mid
speed: low-mid

Last edited by WolfMirage; July 8th, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Community Supporter

Grass does have many weaknesses but it's a possibility. I too hope they introduce grass types that can hit hard and last long.
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:57 PM
WolfMirage
"Last Raven"

that would be nice, but gf as kinda been on a thread for making grass pokes more of semi-def/stall stlye
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links