The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Grif of Hearts
Que sera sera~

Nature: Naive

Advertise here
Considering Fennekin is based on a fennec fox, an animal which lives mostly in deserts and scrubland, I would be surprised if it didn't become a fire/ground type. While I would fully support it becoming a fire/psychic type I find the idea of a fire/ground type to be a more interesting combination.
Old June 30th, 2013, 09:46 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Also Fire/Ground has been less used than Fire/Psychic with only Camperupt having the former, and Victini and Zen mode Darmanitan having the latter.
Old June 30th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Fire/Ground would seem like a more fitting type n_n;; Honestly, having the Ground would be more of a good thing than a bad thing, 4x water weak isn't too bad considering Fire-types should be kept out of the vicinity of water types anyway, and STAB Earthquake/(insert fire move here) is always a neat little combination to have~!
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:09 AM
The Leafeon
Grassburn and Leafstorm!!!

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't see this on Serebii. Perhaps I overlooked something? That and I'm sure if Fennekin's type was so much as whispered on the internet it would catch fire within seconds, and I've heard nothing about it so far (I can make a safe assumption that others haven't heard of it's typing either), so yeah. u_u
yeah you have. How about go on to the announced pokemon page and it shows some of the moves. so yeah u_u
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leafeon View Post
yeah you have. How about go on to the announced pokemon page and it shows some of the moves. so yeah u_u
oh i didnt check that part, whoops!

In that case it seems more than likely that fennekin would be fire/psychic, but i wouldn't be 100% on it, since Xander did bring up a good point that there are Pokemon that can be taught Psychic as a TM, but then again, I'm assuming this is learning psychic as level-up, which is odd for a first-stage pokemon, tbh...
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
There's a "leaked" concept art of Chespin's final evolution spreading around. Here's the original link to it: http://prntscr.com/1de2kx

Somehow, it reminds me of Sonic the Werehog, which is giving me the idea that since it's a hedgehog, Chespin may be like Classic Sonic, while its first stage evolution may be like Modern Sonic.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

Nature: Relaxed
That's just the same as the fanart that has been made. It is probably just some "concept art" or the fan concept art.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
There's a "leaked" concept art of Chespin's final evolution spreading around. Here's the original link to it: http://prntscr.com/1de2kx

Somehow, it reminds me of Sonic the Werehog, which is giving me the idea that since it's a hedgehog, Chespin may be like Classic Sonic, while its first stage evolution may be like Modern Sonic.
That picture/concept was made back when Chespin was first shown back in January.

Its the same design. I think it may be fake if not then this guy back from January hit a pretty good nail.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:26 PM
billyjoseph

They look almost too good to be fake though IMO.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:03 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoseph View Post
They look almost too good to be fake though IMO.
A lot of the times the fans make better evolutions for the Pokemon than Gamefreak does. Many of the fan versions to Gen 5 starters were way better than what we ended up with, especially Snivy's line. Those three that both Powerserge and I posted have existed like a week after the starters were shown. They've been on the internet since January. If those were the real evolutions we'd have had more hints about it by now since they were already "leaked".

Chances of them being fan created are quite high. Again fans have almost always done a better job at designing evolutions....

The picture Powerserge and I posted are also from Pivix which is a Japanese art site similar to Deviant Art. They originated there and made their way to 2ch or 4chan.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:20 PM
DothThouEvenHoist?

Fennekin all the way!
I have a feeling it's gonna be overpicked, like Charmander

Old July 4th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
A lot of the times the fans make better evolutions for the Pokemon than Gamefreak does. Many of the fan versions to Gen 5 starters were way better than what we ended up with, especially Snivy's line. Those three that both Powerserge and I posted have existed like a week after the starters were shown. They've been on the internet since January. If those were the real evolutions we'd have had more hints about it by now since they were already "leaked".

Chances of them being fan created are quite high. Again fans have almost always done a better job at designing evolutions....
Not all the time. Most fan evolutions suffer from the "it just got bigger" syndrome, which was common in the first two gens. It basically describes evolutions that receives little to no changes in their appearances from their basic forms other than their size. The Kanto and Johto starters were guilty of this, but since Gen 3, starters are trying to look less like their basic forms by adding more details in their designs such as the Tepig gaining a bipedal postion when evolving into Pignite or Samurott taking a quadpedal position and took a different look rather being a bigger, bipedal version of Oshawott.
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

Nature: Relaxed
To me, the evolutions of the starters always resemble the 3 main stages of life for us humans; childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. I see what Pinkie-Dawn is talking about, but I think that GF has adhered to that visual semblance to "growing up" in their starters since Gen 1.

Quote:
Many of the fan versions to Gen 5 starters were way better than what we ended up with, especially Snivy's line.
I definitely agree. I remember seeing the one with the final Snivy evolution having the legs and flowers at it's side...it looked devastatingly beautiful.

Quote:
Again fans have almost always done a better job at designing evolutions....
Exactly!
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:10 AM
MarinoKadame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DothThouEvenHoist? View Post
Fennekin all the way!
I have a feeling it's gonna be overpicked, like Charmander
I only ever took Bulbasaur or Squirtle in gen 1, because Charmander is hard at the start with rock and water gym.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Blayze
Team Rocket Executive
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Adamant
Definitely going with Fennekin. I was disappointed with the last two Fire starters. (Not a fan of the animals they were based on.) I really like Fennekin's design and am excited to see its evolutions and how it fares in battle!
Old July 14th, 2013, 03:03 AM
TrollShammy80
Loved all Pokemon Since 98'

Nature: Quiet
To be honest I like all 3...

1-Fennekin
2-Chespin
3-Froakie

Froakie is like the serious one...so It's gotta become a bulky fighting type in one of the trailers or pics i tlook like it meditate

Chespin-The Trouble Maker

Fennekin: The Cute one

I will be picking FEnnekin and Chespin...hubby is getting Froakie unless I feel like being nice and letting him have Chespin

Proud MLP Fan/NCIS/Ghost Hunters/Ghost Adventures/CSI and many others
RIP: Step Mom 7/17/53-7/2/13
RIP: Uncle Jesse ???-1/3/2014
"I do breed for IVs/Ev's...but I always remember to have fun playing Pokemon"
"I always play for fun on my emulators and Y version only"
www.youtube.com/trollshammy80
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

I've adored Chespin since first laying eyes on it so he'll definitely be my pick of the litter. I believe he's rumoured to evolve to take on the Grass/Dark tying which sounds very cool indeed, and with his cute little face I could never say no to him. I just really hope it isn't a case like Oshawott in which they take something adorable and ruin it completely with its evolutions haha.
Old July 15th, 2013, 04:00 AM
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
I've adored Chespin since first laying eyes on it so he'll definitely be my pick of the litter. I believe he's rumoured to evolve to take on the Grass/Dark tying which sounds very cool indeed, and with his cute little face I could never say no to him. I just really hope it isn't a case like Oshawott in which they take something adorable and ruin it completely with its evolutions haha.
Huh?You didnt like samurott?I am surprised!

I think that Chespin will grow more spikes and get a more menacing look.

White 2:4814-8483-7594
3DS:4871 4138 8216
Friend Safari:Bug with Combee,Illumise and Heracross!
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Jerricko

I'm choosing Froakie. If they put Charmander in to be caught in the wild, I'm going hunting, and I'll need the advantage.

Black2 FC - 5072 5607 6912
I have no idea what I'm doing
Old July 15th, 2013, 12:46 PM
pixiefroggy
Awesome Ace Trainer:P

Nature: Calm
Fennekin is so freakin' adorable, but I can't turn away from Chespin ^ 3 ^

Pokabu Flavored Pringles?
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Salt-the-Sloth

Nature: Timid
I can't imagine a Fire/Ground Pokemon without it being more Tank-like, and so far Fennekin's looking a LOT more 'Specially-based', which is what I'm hoping for. Also, foxes in Japan are generally perceived as spiritual beasts with psychic powers in their tails (just look at Ninetales, Naruto, etc.). I REALLY want a Fire/Psychic, but I just hope we don't get a Ninetales v2.0..
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:25 PM
MisterCotton

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to MisterCotton
I'm super psyched for X and Y! The fact that it has new gimmicks and stepped up graphics really impressed me a lot.

I started to like Chespin when it was first shown along with the 2 other starters and legendaries because it reminded me of Pachirisu. Maybe because of its similar face. Lol

Old July 15th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Rmane7
Mewtwo,the great.

Nature: Serious
Getting Fenniken cuz i love fire types.If the final evolution will be fire/psychic i'll be very happy cuz we've seen a fire/fighting in mostly every region but Gen 1and 2.
Pokewhite2:1292-6699-6496
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:28 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Fennekin all the way! It's the first Fire starter (not counting Cyndaquil from SoulSilver as that was a remake xD) that I'll pick as my starter in my first game of the generation since Torchic. Chimchar and Tepig weren't that appealing compared to Piplup and Snivy, sadly Snivy isn't the best in battle without it's DW ability...
Old July 15th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

It's funny how Chespin was my fave of these three at first but suddenly after seeing awesome looking fanart of Froakie and the fact its design grew on me, I actually have Froakie as my new fave of this bunch. Opinions can change so quickly over time and it continues my trend of choosing the Water starter because surprise I love Water-types.

The only time I never picked Water was in 4th Gen, where I picked the Fire-type.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here