The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 6th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax

Advertise here
Unless it's a Pokémon that makes sense or looks like it should be a girl, I really don't like female Pokémon. All of my teams in all of my Pokémon games that I have now are all male. The gender of a Pokémon matters more to me than its nature, in all honesty. If I am hunting for a particular Pokémon that's hard to find, and I come across a female, I usually run away and keep looking. I guess I'm a bit of a Pokémon sexist.

Does the gender of a Pokémon matter to you as much as it does to me?
Old July 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I'm quite the opposite actually! Usually 90% of the Pokemon in my team are female, unless they absolutely have to be. What do I mean by that? Well...Machamp, for example. I figured it would be really awkward as a female, so I prefer to catch a Machop as a male. Otherwise though, for any other Pokemon, it's usually female unless it's manly-looking. ._.;
Old July 6th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Snowdrop
Throw a blanket over it!

Nature: Jolly
I'm somewhat of a Poke-sexist. Unless the Pokemon is STAUNCHLY masculine (Machamp, Conkeldurr, etc.) I'd usually like to use a female. Even female Tyranitar, Aggron, and Steelix are fine. But for Pokemon like those it usually doesn't matter either way. When it comes to feminine Pokemon, it MUST be female, no exception. No male Skitty, Lopunny, Clefairy, etc. Right now I'm building an Eeveelution team and I won't use an Eevee unless it's female. It's just a weird preference, since I like Pokemon more for aesthetics than I do competitive battle
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Ràinbowdàsh

Nature: Modest
I Agree, I like female pokemons over male, it's just like i get more attached to the females than males, for exampel machamp like mentioned before, that must be a male but if i got a male milotic, i would probably not use it at all
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Powalen

Gender doesn't really matter to me unless it looks gender specific, then it must be for me to catch it, or if I have a nickname planned, then I must match the correct gender. Otherwise, idc.

Old July 6th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
Ew! It's a Nick.

I used to be very picky about genders, to the point where when planning teams, I would plan genders and search for a Pokemon of that specific gender. Nowadays, I don't mind the gender at all unless it's a Pokemon that needs to be a certain gender for evolution purposes. I also prefer to soft reset for female starters and Eevee. Other than that, I don't mind male Gardevoir or female Machamp or female Mr. Mime. In fact, I find them funny. I actually prefer having a half and half team of males and females, though I don't go out of my way to get my team to be that way. I take what I get the first time and if my team ends up half male and half female, I think it looks nicer. It's more aesthetically pleasing to have half and half or all one of the same, imo. But like I said, not going out of my way to make sure it's half and half, lol.

There is actually a challenge I made that relies heavily on gender of Pokemon and such called Gender Discrimination Challenge. It's pretty fun and I'm doing it for a second time on Ruby as a male. Y'all should check it out some time!

Last edited by Sydian; July 6th, 2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: adding something
Old July 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
Ahaha, I used to prefer all males. The female symbol + its color bothered me immensely and I tried to catch only male Pokemon, unless it was a Pokemon that I felt looked feminine (Espeon among others). Nowadays I prefer females.. my main B2 team are all girls except for Serperior. For some reason I started preferring female Pokemon and tried to catch females if I can. Not sure why the sudden change but yeah.

pair | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3
Old July 6th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I used to care about genders of pokemon when I was younger.
Now I do not care if they are male or female.
Old July 6th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Callīope
█ uranianUmbra

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to Callīope Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Callīope Send a message via Skype™ to Callīope
Yeeeahhh, my teams are usually all male, unless I'm looking for a Pokemon that looks female. If that makes sense. Some Pokemon look more female, so I do try to get female versions of them. However, sometimes it's fun to find like.. a Vulpix, and make sure it's a dude. xD

- also Drew.

paired to timaeusTestified

this is how to be a heart breaker
boys, they like a little danger.
i la-la-la-la-love you. ❤
[S] The Prince is Awake.
tumblr || EGC || flavors.me
Old July 6th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
In a way Yes and No.
No, when I catch a Pokemon I really want in my team, I don't focus on ability/stats/gender at first - I will make every possible effort to catch it then......
Yes, once its caught, I look at it's gender and decide on a nickname appropriate to its species, type, and gender

So many of my game's Pokemon gender isn't really organized. I could have one game with 3 are male and the other female, I may have a game where 5 are female and 1 male, or I could have a team that is all male or all female...... my only exceptions:

Nicknames, I'm ready to give my Pokemon nicknames, that's gender plays a huge role - I don't want to give a female Pokemon a male nickname - this applies mostly to Pokemon in my PC Box, as in all games - my 4 main Pokemon already have a nickname, I play with 4 or 5 Pokemon I like, the rest I'm willing giving a new Pokemon a try - I may like or I may not like them, I won't know until I try.

Breeding, obviously I need a male and a female,, I prefer the same species of Pokemon [for example - a male cat-like Pokemon to a female cat-like Pokemon as oppose to just a male and female Liepard]

• When I'm playing a specific challenge [for example my "All Mustelid Team" - "All Cat Team" or next planned one "All Water-Type Team" & "All Fighting-Type Team"], I plan out my team ahead of time, including gender because of their Nicknames.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenge -
Random Challenge - Badges: 4/8 - game: X - Location: Coumarine City
50/50 Challenge - Badges 1/8 - Game Y - Location: Route 4

Last edited by Playful_Weasel; July 6th, 2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes - organizing post so it makes sense
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:00 PM
True Epicness
Magnificent Turnip

Eh, sometimes I'm a little perturbed if a Pokémon's gender doesn't suit its design, but overall I don't go through the trouble of catching another one to change it. In general, I prefer genderless Pokémon anyhow.

Old July 6th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I'm obsessed with filling my team with male Pokémon, but I realized it does more harm than good since it drives me nuts especially when searching for a rare Pokémon with a beneficial nature. In my next playthrough of any Pokémon game, I won't bother choosing genders. The gender of my main character is enough (and even I wouldn't mind to play as the girl if I had the pair of games for that generation).

After 4th gen, there are a few Pokémon with gender differences, and usually the males have bigger horns and more flashy features (think Unfezant), so I pick those. There are exceptions though, the female of Roserade is more beautiful than the male IMO.

I had a female Pidgeot on FireRed and she rocked BTW.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old July 6th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
I'm sort of like that. I get OCD about my team's genders, and my team members always have to be the same gender as my starter, which usually turn out to be male. Exceptions are of course the genderless Pokemon.
Old July 6th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Septentrion
Evilutionary biologist

Nature: Bold
You guys are all weird preferring whatever gender. I don't really prefer one gender to the other, but I do hate genderless Pokémon. I'm currently using two legendries in the hack I'm playing and I assigned them gender identities (one male and one female) because I don't like referring to my own Pokémon as "it".
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

I try to maintain an even sexual distribution throughout my teams to keep the issue of Attract minimal.
I prefer some particular things to be a particular sex but it doesn't bother me much.

DA | YT | In the navy, yes, you can sail the seven seas. In the navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Alex
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I have a thing with every team I make: The team must be comprised of exactly three males and three males, in order to give me the best shot possible at fighting Pokémon with Attract.

Other than that, I really don't care about gender. :<
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I used to often have all-female or female-dominant teams because I was trying to be like those in-game NPCs who have Pokemon corresponding to their own gender. As of Black that stopped, I now catch any gender but there are still certain Pokemon I prefer of a certain gender.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old July 6th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

I'm more inclined to keep females in most cases because I feel like they're rarer even though most Pokemon are 50/50. It's mainly because of the odds of getting a female starter.
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Recluse
The Harbinger of Solitude
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Well, I can't see having Male Vulpix/Ninetales in my team. They always must be female, same goes usually with Espeon. For the rest, I don't care.
Old July 7th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Elaitenstile
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Well, come to think of it, IDC much about the gender business, but I do tend to try to take all male Pokémon if I'm male, and vice-versa. Unless of course, there's somebody who's genderless or a fixed gendertype.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old July 7th, 2013, 12:59 AM
SchwarzRozen
Sugary Delight

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to SchwarzRozen
Well most of the time I really don't mind that much with what gender the Pokemon is, especially when I was younger; even now it really doesn't matter thanks to ditto breeding. The only one pokemon it makes a diffrence is Combee and Gallade (maybe a few others?)

Although, I will happily keep my male gardevior and my female garadyos. n,n
Old July 7th, 2013, 01:45 AM
takeKopter

as long as it's not :
female Abra line, Machop line, Makuhita line,
or
male Gothita line, Male gardevoir,
I'm fine with anything..

oh, wait,, female wobbuffet
Old July 7th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Shiny Gardevoir
I huntz shiniez

Nature: Naive
Personally, I prefer having a balance on my team, maybe around half male and half female, mostly as countermeasure for those with attract O3O

Though there were instances that I wanted specific genders for my Pokes, like my female Snivy and female Chikorita~

I got a White 2 game a few days back, and ended up with a female Oshawott without trying XD
I'm a bit disturbed by it... but yeah... I just accepted anyway "

PEARL VERSION FRIEND CODE:
Dawn---->2279-3231-0255

BLACK VERSION FRIEND CODE:
Minako--->0777-2781-0211

----------

CLICKERZ?
Old July 7th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
Unless it's a Pokémon that makes sense or looks like it should be a girl, I really don't like female Pokémon. All of my teams in all of my Pokémon games that I have now are all male. The gender of a Pokémon matters more to me than its nature, in all honesty. If I am hunting for a particular Pokémon that's hard to find, and I come across a female, I usually run away and keep looking. I guess I'm a bit of a Pokémon sexist.

Does the gender of a Pokémon matter to you as much as it does to me?
Honest question: why do you think you have this attitude? 'Cause I used to be like this when I was younger, but can't really explain to myself why I felt this way. Nowadays, I don't care in the slightest what gender they are, but for a while I definitely did and can't explain why at all. It's very, very weird.
Old July 7th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Arc
trap

Nature: Bashful
I usually don't really care for the gender of my pokemon, with exceptions that pokemon that look very masculine be male (Machamp, Conkeldurr, etc) and feminine pokemon be female (Gardevoir, Lopuuny, etc.). However, I do have a weird obsession to try and keep my team even in genders. So that means three males and three females.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here