Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index



Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates
Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Luigi-San's Avatar
Luigi-San
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Buffalo, NY
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Luigi-San Send a message via Skype™ to Luigi-San

Advertise here
The plane was arriving from Seoul, South Korea, and apparently landed just short of the runway and struck a seawall:

Quote:
A fiery crash of an Asiana Airlines jet in San Francisco today has killed two people and injured 181 people.

Asiana Airlines Flight 214 was carrying more than 300 people when it crashed at San Francicso International Airport, tore off its tail and burst into flames.

Two people were reported dead, said San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White.

She described it as a "fluid situation" and that "not everyone has yet to be accounted for." She initially said that "upwards of 60 people were unaccounted for," but San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee later said all the passengers had been unaccounted for.

The injured were being care for at several hospitals and at least 22 were in critical condition.

The flight originated in Shanghai, China, and had a stopover in Seoul, South Korea. It was carrying 291 passengers, including an infant, plus at least 16 crew members, according to the airline. An Asiana Airlines official in Seoul told ABC News that 141 Chinese, 77 South Koreans and 61 U.S. citizens were on board.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/asiana-airl...e#.UdjfVjtwr24

Thoughts and prayers to the injured, and R.I.P. to the two who perished.

  #2    
Old July 6th, 2013, 08:09 PM
NightOfRemorse's Avatar
NightOfRemorse
my anxieties have anxieties
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Nature: Lonely
I was actually in a different plane trying to get somewhere when this happened, we were about to take off and I just look out the window and see all the smoke and thought what the hell is happening?? It was pretty terrible to watch, there seemed to be dozens and dozens of ambulances, paramedics, firefighters, etc. and it took them a long time to put out the fire. I'm really hoping that those injured make it out okay and hopefully those who were missing are/were found. RIP to the two deceased as well.
Why you act frightened?
I am enlightened
Your weakness builds me, so someday you'll see
I stay away
  #3    
Old July 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Sydian's Avatar
Sydian
But you're still hungry.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Quote:
I was actually in a different plane trying to get somewhere when this happened, we were about to take off and I just look out the window and see all the smoke and thought what the hell is happening?? It was pretty terrible to watch, there seemed to be dozens and dozens of ambulances, paramedics, firefighters, etc. and it took them a long time to put out the fire. I'm really hoping that those injured make it out okay and hopefully those who were missing are/were found. RIP to the two deceased as well.
My God, that must have been horrifying...

Anyway, this is terrible. We read about it on the way home from lunch today, and I just can't imagine how it must have been for those on the flight. I hope the injured get healed and RIP to the ones that passed. I heard those airlines, or that plane in general, can't remember, was brand new. I'm sure that checking planes before taking flight will be a bigger deal now because of this.

paired to crono
  #4    
Old July 7th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
I'm glad that my trip was a week earlier or I'd have been caught up in this. Not this flight, but I would have been on a plane that would have been diverted to another airport. It's kind of scary. Some people I met from New Zealand were supposed to fly out from SFO and I hope they haven't had their trip schedule messed up too badly. I've also got another friend who is going to fly out in the future and she's already scared of flying so this is going to make things worse for her.

Seems the plane hit the water in front of the runway. That part of landing always scares me. Other airports have fields or whatever so that a plane that comes in too soon can still ground to a halt, but not this one.

deviantart blog pair
  #5    
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:07 PM
FreakyLocz14's Avatar
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
It's technically not in San Francisco, but I'm glad that it wasn't a terrorist attack. Still, we should all pray for all of those who are affected by this.
  #6    
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Quopol's Avatar
Quopol
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
I think I saw a plane burning up in the sky. Something was moving slowly far out in the sky and went farther and farther away as the orange light was intensifying. I saw this on the 4th of July at 9~10 PM PST while watching my next door neighbors blast off fireworks and eating delicious hot dogs and desserts that my they gave me. I wasn't the first person to notice it. My neighbors noticed it first and remarked that it might be a plane that's burning down. I told my family about it, but they immediately discard the chance that the plane I saw was the San Francisco airplane. I'm sure that it could've been a plane because it had been no meteorite. I don't think meteorites don't usually go that slow, even though I've never seen one before with my own eyes.
  #7    
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
It seems the pilot had been pretty inexperienced with flying a 777 and was being assisted by a more experienced pilot. Probably safe to assume this crash comes down to human error. Which is good for anyone else flying on one of those planes since they have a good safety record otherwise. The other crazy news is that one of the two Chinese teenagers who died might have been run over by emergency vehicles in the initial chaos of the crash. I really hope that turns out not be what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quopol View Post
I think I saw a plane burning up in the sky. Something was moving slowly far out in the sky and went farther and farther away as the orange light was intensifying. I saw this on the 4th of July at 9~10 PM PST while watching my next door neighbors blast off fireworks and eating delicious hot dogs and desserts that my they gave me. I wasn't the first person to notice it. My neighbors noticed it first and remarked that it might be a plane that's burning down. I told my family about it, but they immediately discard the chance that the plane I saw was the San Francisco airplane. I'm sure that it could've been a plane because it had been no meteorite. I don't think meteorites don't usually go that slow, even though I've never seen one before with my own eyes.
I don't think you saw this plane. It didn't catch fire until it hit the ground.

deviantart blog pair
  #8    
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Quopol's Avatar
Quopol
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
It seems the pilot had been pretty inexperienced with flying a 777 and was being assisted by a more experienced pilot. Probably safe to assume this crash comes down to human error. Which is good for anyone else flying on one of those planes since they have a good safety record otherwise. The other crazy news is that one of the two Chinese teenagers who died might have been run over by emergency vehicles in the initial chaos of the crash. I really hope that turns out not be what happens.



I don't think you saw this plane. It didn't catch fire until it hit the ground.
...What was it then?! I really want to have this answered...
Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 10:53 AM.

About Us
© 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com. Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.

Copyright
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com. PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator. Header artwork by Jordanice of deviantART.

Social Media
If you would like to stay up-to-date with us on the go, when we're down, or other such things, follow us on social media sites--most notibly Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus--by clicking on the links provided.

Design presented by Peitharchia. Special thanks to Hiroshi Sotomura and Ausaudriel.