The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 16th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Seraphimon-sama

Personally, I'd say either Bugsy, Crasher Wake, or Roark. Bugsy because of his/her/its (I'm still not convinced that Bugsy is actually a boy) Scyther, and Crasher Wake and Roark because I always started with Chimchar and most likely had a team weak to either Water- or Ice-type moves by the time I got to Pastoria City.
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

Sprite made by DD's Sprite Shop~!

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:16 PM
PekoponTAS
Game Boy Advance Fan

Nature: Naive
None of the HG/SS gym leaders are really too big of an issue so long as you pick the right guys. Geodude destroys the first three gyms, and if you get a Scrappy ability Kangaskhan on the Pokewalker, Morty is a complete joke, and it should learn Outrage by the time you're about to fight Claire.

Still, the gyms I've had trouble with are the typical ones before I figured that out. Whitney, Claire, and sometimes Morty. Though Morty is still a million times easier in the remake since his Gengar doesn't know dream eater like in the original Gold.

As for D/P/PL, I've had trouble at most of them for different reasons. Volkner is always easy though.

FireRed HeartGold Ruby Platinum White2
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:30 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Have beaten 4 gyms in Platinum currently with a Gabite, Luxray and a Monferno. Still I think any of them were any worries.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:23 AM
Zekrom1066
Master of Ideals

Nature: Naughty
Well, this is how I rate the difficulty of the Sinnoh Gyms.

Oreburgh City Gym
Just make sure your Pokemon outspeeds Cranidos, so that it can't Headbutt flinch you.

Eterna City Gym
Do not ever let Gardenia's Turtwig set up Reflect, also Roserade isn't easy to defeat.

Hearthome City Gym
Fantina's Mismagius is annoying, with its STAB Shadow Ball.

Veilstone City Gym
Not that difficult, but Lucario can be rather annoying sometimes.

Pastoria City Gym
Your Pokemon should be a special attacker which outspeeds Floatzel and also carries something like a STAB Thunderbolt. Special attackers also do not mind the Attack drop from Gyarados's Intimidate and can KO it before it starts spamming Waterfall, which can prove deadly if not resisted. Also pack a Grass type to counter Quagsire.

Canalave City Gym
You need a special attacker with a STAB Flamethrower to hit Magneton and Steelix hard, and also something with an attack that is x4 Super-effective against Bastiodon.

Snowpoint City Gym
One of the hardest Gyms in Sinnoh in my opinion. Sneasel and Piloswine are not really threats but Abomasnow and Froslass are. You need to use a weather-inducing move to get rid of Hail once Abomasnow switches in, and KO it with a strong STAB Fire type attack. If Abomasnow manages to switch in and immediately get Hail up and you can't change the weather, watch out for Froslass coming up.

Its Blizzard, in Hail has a 100 Accuracy and also a chance of Freezing. Do not underestimate its Blizzard, or you'll regret it. Besides Blizzard, it also has a STAB Shadow Ball and also Psychic, which is also nothing to laugh at.

Just remember to pack a Fire type when facing Candice

Sunyshore City Gym
Volkner's not easy to beat. Besides having strong STAB Electric attacks, Luxray has access to Ice Fang, Raichu has Ice Punch if I remember correctly while Electivire also has access to Ice Punch. You need to beware even if you are using Garchomp, because if it's under-leveled, Electivire and Raichu will most likely outspeed and OHKO it with Ice Punch.

If Garchomp's is about 5 levels higher than Electivire and Raichu, considering a Neutral Nature(Hardy, Docile, Serious, Bashful, Quirky), it can outspeed Electivire comfortably and outright KO with a STAB Earthquake.

Also, beware of Jolteon's raw speed. Luxray is also not easy to take down. Garchomp's level needs to be higher than Jolteon if you even want to outspeed it.

ゼクロム1066さん

Naughty Nature Zekrom with 422 Attack stat and 252 Attack EVs traded from Pokemon White Version FTW!!!
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:29 AM
Rizardon

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Rizardon
DPPt: I didn't really struggle against any gym leaders.. the hardest would had to be Gardiner or whatever she's called.
HGSS: Clair because of dragon types or Whitney.. her painful Miltank.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Pokemon Type-Differ Trainer
PC Newbie

Nature: Calm
Volkner was the hardest for me. I usually pick Chimchar at the beginning, but this time I wanted to go with Turtwig and see what I could do. Everything fine until I fought Volkner. I had no idea his Pokémon had Ice-type moves, so he caught my Torterra off guard. If you're going to fight him, make your one of your Pokémon isn't weak to Electric- or Ice-type moves and knows a Ground-type move. Really recommended.
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Knormageddon
King of Stronk Style

I've only played Soul Silver from this gen, and because I'd played GSC when I was younger, I half knew what to expect. That being said... Whitney will always cause problems for me. Miltank always has been, and always will be very annoying to take care of, if you don't go in smartly. Clair was another really tough trainer, and certainly a fight worth bragging about.

I think for me though, I had a TON of trouble facing Chuck. It's been so long since I've went through getting badges, but I just remember getting rocked, and rocked, and rocked by him... I don't exactly remember why or what caused it, but I certainly remember multiple blackouts, trips to the PC, and that waterfall pouring down on his head...
Old July 9th, 2013, 12:04 AM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Well while playing Platinum I never had any tough battles upto where I am while playing HeartGold , Whitney's Miltank was a frustration to battle while for that Morty I had to train my whole team upto Level 30 to beat his Gengar
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I don't believe that Sinnoh was really tough for me when it comes to Gym Battles. At least there is none but one battle that really stuck out to me as difficult. The toughest battle I had that I remember would be Volkner on my Platinum where I won only thanks to Toxic Spikes. But I don't remember how underleveled (I normally am by the eighth gym because ew grinding) I was though.

HGSS it really depended on my team. I just finished having a bit of trouble with Whitney my second time battling but it was due to ill luck. I don't really recall having any trouble with gyms on my SoulSilver though.
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Candice was the only one who beat me, so my vote goes to her. She starts with Abomasnow, bringing hail to the field. You murder all her Pokémon, because they're easy to kill, then she sends out Froslass and, with help of Double Team hax, 100% accurate Blizzard and type coverage, she turns the battle around and kills you.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Clemstar

I know everyone exaggerates whitneys strength but that miltank really does get me every time. Another tough gym leader for me was always Watson of mauville.
Old July 18th, 2013, 06:14 AM
AmourPearlShipper
If we're feeling thirsty, it's vodka for all!

Fantina and her stupid Mismagius.
"Billy Mays here with a limited time offer; our brand new product for the RU tier. Combining the incredible defensive capabilities of the Steel-type and Eviolite, Metang will make a splash hit for all those watching at home. For just the cost of one teamslot, you can get your own Metang today, as well a beautiful Eviolite stone that can be used as a gift, or a Cell Battery to make sure your Metang doesn't run out of juice! But that's not all! Call now and we will add an extra Stealth Rock to your order! This decorative piece is perfect for filling your Stealth Rock needs! Use it wisely though, because setting up Stealth Rock turns Metang from nearly worthless to completely worthless for the rest of the match. Thankfully, Metang comes with a built-in self-destruct button that allows it to make the most of its short battery life. Get yours today for not three teamslots, not even two--call now and get our limited edition Metang at the price of only a single teamslot! You will not get this offer anywhere else, or you get your money back guaranteed! Results may vary.

<TLCNU> Escavalier literally is 2HKOed by Stoutland Fire Fang, Metang was undoubtedly the much better choice."
SuperSkarmory | Serebii
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Surprisingly enough, I never lost to a gym leader in any of the games. I usually just blow through them all with ease, but that confidence ends when I hit the Pokemon Leagues. I would say the toughest gym battle would be with Whitney because of that dang Miltank.
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Sheep
sheep x steven OTP

Nature: Timid
Clair is a huge pain in the behind in HGSS, oh my god. Definitely the hardest one I've fought (to date, even) since I'm struggling to beat her in HeartGold. None of the Sinnoh gym leaders gave me too much trouble bar Fantina once, but Clair is just horrible, haha.

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3 LV
Avatar & Signature by Achromatic
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:32 PM
*Icecold*
Bow down to Queen Meowstic

Nature: Hasty
Many of the 4th generation gym leaders are only difficult because of their star Pokémon. Maylene's Lucario, Gardenia's Roserade, Fantina's Mismagius, Wake's Floatzel, Whitney's Miltank, Bugzy's Scyther, Falkner's Pidegeotto... They were all a pain.

Claire was also a real doozy. Had trouble defeating her.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 15th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Jip
Hipster Jipster

Whitney and her Miltank were always a pain because I seemed to be attracted to picking pokemon of the opposite gender.

Old August 15th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Pendraflare
I'm definitely in my zone.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
For Diamond and Pearl, none of them were overly difficult.

In Platinum, probably Fantina. That Mismagius I remember causing me so much trouble the first time I played it, 2/3 my team was dead, I couldn't keep up with healing, and I only won because my Monferno (who was my last one that wasn't an HM slave) killed it with a critical hit Flame Wheel.

Then with HeartGold and SoulSilver, I have to go with Clair. That Kingdra is, if you ask me, the hardest Pokémon in the game. Why? Well, because it has very powerful attacks and you can't exploit any weakness to that Kingdra easily, unlike Lance who is full of stuff weak to similar types. The Dragonairs can also survive hits well enough and use Thunder Wave. That and the fact that her levels are a huge jump from the weak trainers you've been fighting. Also, Blue comes darn near close (none of his Pokémon are as hard as that Kingdra, but the sheer diversity of his team makes him tough).
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
The only gymleaders I usually lose against are ones at the beginning of story mode. Later on in story mode, I purposely restrict myself into using the same number of pokemon as the gymleader in order to make it more challenging. As a result of this extra challenge, Chuck and Clair were challenging for me.
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

It's gotta be Whitney. Just like most of you, I had a very hard time defeating her Milktank. Every time I managed to get its health down, it used to restore itself by using Milk Drink. Volkner was hard for me to take down as well, because his Luxray used to Crunch its way through most of my Pokémon. He wasn't that hard in my second Platinum run, though, because fortunately, I had a Torterra that knew Earthquake. n__n
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Clawvile

Fantina was hard for me, took me at least two tries to take her down, I got all my pokemon to level 35 (For Murkrow with Faint attack and Luxray with crunch) and then she was a breeze. All the other gym leaders were too easy, i'm currently training for Volkner.

Actually, for me whitney was easy, thanks to my Flaffy paralyzing that Miltank.
Morty was harder IMO. Dang status problems.

The legend of golurk: Pokeflute of time
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:17 PM
oshawottlover13

mine would have to be fantina or maylene. it took forever for my to get to fantina and her mismagius was just a pain but maylenes lucario was just so hard. In johto however it would have to be either Blue or whitney. Blue just had varying types unlike other gyms so when you send out a pokemon super effective to the current one, he sends out the nidoking and earthquakes you to death. but whitneys miltank is just a pain for everyone. especially with a quilava. ive gotten to the point in trying to beat her where i lost so many times and i dont have any money at all and i have to resort to leveling up by wild pokemon. and that takes forever.

Completed National Pokedex in Pokemon X on 8-5-2014
3ds FC: 3308-4678-2953 Trades and Battles anyone?
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/leavsidchiptric13
Blogger Account: https://www.blogger.com/home
Old September 21st, 2013, 03:11 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Probably Whitney. You know the story, don't you? Milk Drink, Rollout etc.
Second probably comes Claire, because that Kingdra is pretty damn hard to beat.
Old September 21st, 2013, 04:32 AM
OmegaTL
Time Lord

Nature: Timid
Gardenia, since I chose Piplup as my starter and my Starly was still pretty weak. Magical Leaf was such a pain.

Planned X/Y team so far: Fennekin evo, Charizard, Blaziken, ???, ???, ???
Like Doctor Who? Come join us at Peladon!
Old September 21st, 2013, 08:59 AM
metalhand

Nature: Relaxed
Oh Whitney, I still have nightmares XD.
But seriously, I really hate her milktank, this thing is one of the most annoying pokemons I ever battled...
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:11 AM
Warsmith
Drinker of Coffee

Nature: Bold
Whitney is the Devil and she came down from Georgia, koff~

This pretty much sums up everyone's experience with Whitney. She was hard to beat in Pokemon Silver Version and she was hard to beat in Pokemon Soul Silver Version. Some things never change, koffi~

Sponsored Links