The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 23rd, 2013, 04:01 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
link
let's talk about this people
Old June 26th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
it's still better than apple.

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old June 26th, 2013, 05:03 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
it's still better than apple.
I strongly disagree, even though I'm from an area considered to be "North" and formerly considered to be the "Northwest" by early settlers.

Although it's probably better than some other celebrity names involving the name "Moon".
Old June 28th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
So James Gandolfini died. Did anybody care about him at all?

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old June 28th, 2013, 07:56 AM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to antemortem
All I knew was that he apparently was in The Sopranos, but even then, I... never watched that and only heard of it when he died, so it affects me none.

Last edited by antemortem; June 28th, 2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: can't spell!!
Old June 28th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
So James Gandolfini died. Did anybody care about him at all?
I woke up to this showing up on my Twitter feed. I was shocked when I heard it and the news just ruined my day. Impeccable actor on a legendary show. He left us way, way too soon, and it felt like his career was just getting a second wind lately.

Did you see the pictures of his funeral? Jamie-Lynn Sigler and Michael Imperioli crying just breaks my heart.

Last edited by Rest; June 28th, 2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old June 28th, 2013, 08:01 AM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rest View Post
I woke up to this showing up on my Twitter feed. I was shocked when I heard it and the news just ruined my day. Impeccable actor on a legendary show. He left us way, way too soon, and it felt like his career was just getting a second wind lately.
And then people say this and I'm forced to want to watch the show. Was The Sopranos really that good of a show? I've literally only just heard of it.
Old June 28th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
And then people say this and I'm forced to want to watch the show. Was The Sopranos really that good of a show? I've literally only just heard of it.
It had a terrific ensemble cast led by the late James Gandolfini and was collaborated on by a slew of great directors and writers, but above all it was a show that wasn't afraid to address social issues as well as make big statements while also having an intricate, complex structure that was consistently well-executed. It wasn't just a great show, it was also important for its medium. Please set aside a couple weekends to binge-watch The Sopranos. It's really excellent.
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I've never seen it, but I know many people who've watched it and they highly recommend it.

I'm actually surprised this topic only just now made it here to PC. It was all over the American cable and entertainment networks late last week and over the weekend. And I think it's still getting a fair bit of coverage today. I don't know any of his other works, but he seems to have been very popular here in America.
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Esper

Shame he died, but it doesn't make me want to watch the Sopranos. The show could have all my favorite actors, but it wouldn't make me want to watch that kind of a show. At least the kind of show I imagine it is. Some kind of modern gangster show with lots of violence. I wish there wasn't so much violence in all the popular shows. It's kind of a turnoff and I can't get involved in the shows that others are watching.

deviantart blog pair
Old June 29th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
The violence in our media is pretty tame compared to what's out there though. I just watched a documentary on crime in Jamaica and people literally do die every day. I'm not even sure if media violence can prepare you for real life stuff.
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Esper

Yeah, I know there is a lot of horrible violence in the world that's worse than anything on TV, but I still don't like a lot of violence in my shows and it makes me a little sad I can't join in with some of my friends when they talk about Game of Thrones and so on.

deviantart blog pair
Old June 30th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Honestly, The Sopranos isn't as violent as you probably think it is. It has its moments, sure, but it's very restrained in comparison to what it could be. I know a lot of its fans often wished it was more violent than it was because they'd been led to expect it would be some Godfather/Goodfellas for TV when it really was its own thing.
Old July 1st, 2013, 07:26 PM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
Honestly, The Sopranos isn't as violent as you probably think it is. It has its moments, sure, but it's very restrained in comparison to what it could be. I know a lot of its fans often wished it was more violent than it was because they'd been led to expect it would be some Godfather/Goodfellas for TV when it really was its own thing.
Actually, as soon as I heard of it and read up on it as well as some of the characters, Godfather-esque things were the first to come into mind because those are typically the things I think of when I hear/read 'New Jersey-based Italian-American mobster.'
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:57 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Sopranos isn't the type of show that is gruesome, killing, drugs and all those stuffs that gangster movies usually show. It mostly show Tony and how he gotta keep his life balanced between his family and gangster lifestyles. It's a pretty interesting show. I never really was a follower of the show but when I did see it, I liked every episodes that I saw.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Esper

So. Summer blockbusters. Best? Worst?

Superman movie was surprisingly good, but then I had low expectations. I kinda want to see the Lone Ranger just to see how bad it can get.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Man of Steel obvious wins for best summer blockbuster, hands down. For worst, I'm guessing Despciable Me 2, since you know, critics and the geek culture have a mindset that any animated film that's not Disney, Pixar, nor Dreamworks is considered to be inferior for its cliches, toilet jokes, and family-friendly?
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:51 PM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Nerf to those people who practically live for Pixar, Dreamworks, and Disney, completely ostracizing other animated works. Despicable Me 2 was just fine and it deserves whatever acclaim it garners. Notice it also grossed nearly four times its budget; I think that says something even if it's just based on ticket sales and not the quality of the movie. I thought it was good. 8(
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Nerf to those people who practically live for Pixar, Dreamworks, and Disney, completely ostracizing other animated works. Despicable Me 2 was just fine and it deserves whatever acclaim it garners. Notice it also grossed nearly four times its budget; I think that says something even if it's just based on ticket sales and not the quality of the movie. I thought it was good. 8(
I thought it was good too, but I have to list it as my worst since two of my contacts from Skype despise it for being both annoying, as one of them is tired of seeing posts related to the movie on Tumblr, and outgrossing The Lone Ranger.
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Rest

I've only seen WWZ and Now You See Me, and I liked both of them for what they were (the latter a bit more, I really liked Isla Fisher the star-studded cast). Haven't seen Man of Steel yet, and I'm not planning to unless my friends drag me out.

Also, it was really weird to see both David Morse and Michiel Huisman from Treme in close proximity in WWZ.

I have impossibly high expectations for Pacific Rim though.
Old July 10th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Esper

I have a feeling Pacific Rim is going to be one of those movies that you either love or hate. That's my experience with other del Toro movies.

Speaking of which, I should watch Pan's Labyrinth again sometime soon. Love me that movie. Summer's a great time for scary/fantasy movies.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rest View Post
I've only seen WWZ and Now You See Me, and I liked both of them for what they were (the latter a bit more, I really liked Isla Fisher the star-studded cast). Haven't seen Man of Steel yet, and I'm not planning to unless my friends drag me out..
What was your favorite part of the movie and why? o: I need someone to discuss it with and nobody else I know (but one person, the one I saw it with) has seen it, haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I have a feeling Pacific Rim is going to be one of those movies that you either love or hate. That's my experience with other del Toro movies.
I love most of del Toro's screenplays, especially for the Hellboy movies and The Hobbit, so I'll likely really enjoy Pacific Rim even though I'm not sure what exactly to expect going into it. Then again, I'm doing that on purpose with a lot of movies nowadays; I'm willing to spend my money going into a new movie blind if just the little bit I know interests me. That way my expectations are neutral and I can form my own opinion after the fact that's only affected by the experience, if that makes sense.
Old July 10th, 2013, 04:21 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I actually only saw World War Z, I might check out Man of Steel soon. I also wanna see Grown Ups 2. And as for Despicable Me 2, I don't really like it, but I gotta admit that the original movie and also the sequel were huge success, I don't think it'll be the weakest movie of the summer.

Oh and also, I'm REALLY looking forward to The Wolverine. With him being one of my favorite Marvel characters.
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:41 AM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Oh and also, I'm REALLY looking forward to The Wolverine. With him being one of my favorite Marvel characters.
Oh, oh, I saw a commercial for this earlier and it reminded me that I'm also pretty excited, aha. The past few movies, First Class and Origins, were really, really good so I have the highest of hopes for this one to follow through. Also, I can't help but wonder what Days of Future Past will be about. :[
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Esper

Quote:
Oh, oh, I saw a commercial for this earlier and it reminded me that I'm also pretty excited, aha. The past few movies, First Class and Origins, were really, really good so I have the highest of hopes for this one to follow through. Also, I can't help but wonder what Days of Future Past will be about. :[
Origins? That was the first Wolverine movie, right? That was a hot mess of a movie. Fun, in a Mystery Science Theater kind of way though. This next one looks like it could be pretty good, though I always worry about movies with Western actors taking place in Japan.

Days of Future Past is one of those apocalyptic dystopian future stories, isn't it?

deviantart blog pair
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links