• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

In-Game Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Years
For pokemon platinum
Have
- Tortera
- Starraptor
- Lucario
Need
- fire
- water
- 6th

Well as far as fire types go, I would highly recommend catching a Magmar in the Fuego Ironworks (if you can manage to evolve him) for two reasons. For one, both Starraptor and Torterra excel in attacking on the physical side (while Lucario can hit both specially and physically), so I think a special attacker would help you out a lot. Not only that, but Magmortar has fantastic coverage once he evolves, meaning he can hit many different pokemon super effectively. Btw, the magmarizer can be found somewhere on the ground on route 214.

Unlike the very limited number of fire types that can be found in gen 4, you have quite a few options when it comes to water types. My personal favorite water type is starmie for the same reasons as magmortar. Aside from the fantastic coverage and movepool in general, however, Starmie is extremely fast. And you'll definitely need something fast with ice beam for the pokemon league champ, that's for sure. Remember that you'll need a super rod to catch a Staryu in Canalave or Sunyshore, but I unfortunately don't remember when you receive it. Also if you don't mind raising a magikarp and want a physical attacker, Gyarados is a lot of fun as well.

One thing I do want to warn you about regarding both Magmortar and Starmie is that their movepools are very reliant on tms. If you aren't willing to go out of your way to find them or if you want someone with a better level up movepool, you might want to go with someone else.

And as for a 6th member for your team, I think one of the lake trio pokemon would fit pretty nicely if you don't mind using a weaker legendary. It wouldn't give you any glaring weaknesses in your team structure, and they're all pretty fun to use. Keep in mind that Uxie is a very defensive pokemon, however, which contrasts the hyper offensive nature of ingame teams. I would urge you not to go with the extremely popular Garchomp not only because it's overdone, but also because that would make half of your team weak to ice (albeit with 3 resistances).

Well that's just my two cents on the matter, I always have a lot of fun building ingame teams. Even if you aren't particularly interested in using the pokes I recommended, I hope you got something out of it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2015
Help me with team for all games

So, can you please help me with my team?

Pokemon I am sure about:
Salamence
Lapras
Electravile

Pokemon I am semi sure about:
Rhyperior
Arcanine

Pokemon I am not at all sure about:
Gengar

So, I love Salamence and he is a must have. Lapras is propably the best water type I can think off and Electravile is the only non stupid looking electric type

Rhyperior is good and all but I dont really like Rhyhorn's design and I saw that he has too many weaknesses
Arcanine is cool and all but I am not sure about him

Gengar is just meh. I changed my team a lot and I am not sure if there is a reason to have him. Maybe replace him for Snorlax?

Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2017
Replace Rhyperior with Tyranitar as it is still rock and can eliminate most of gengar's weaknesses and gengar's quite good

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2023
I've just started a new Black run and I've traded over some pokes to get started. Thoughts on how well this team will handle E4, etc? Movesets are completely fluid at this point - any suggestions on the sets would be splendid.

Current Team: (bold indicates planned end-game pokes)
Starmie - lvl 28 Modest
Litwick - lvl 29 (Will check nature when I get home)
Magnemite - lvl 25 Modest

Drillbur - lvl 21 (Will be Hydreigon)
Tranquil - lvl 24 (Will be Archeops)
Timburr - lvl 22 (Will be Mienshao)

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2013
Team Edit

Hey all, new here, just wondering if any of you guys could give me some input as to how I should change my team around (and trust me, I know it needs changing.
Here is my team as it currently stands:
Lv. 75 Arcanine
Lv. 80 Lucario
Lv. 78 Serperior
Lv. 78 Black Kyurem
Lv. 62 Haxorus (Shiny)
Lv. 65 Sandslash (Shiny)
(I'm currently working my way through Black Tower to get my Shiny Gible.)

I think I'd like to keep Arcanine, Lucario, and Serperior because they've been with me since the beginning, and maybe keep the Haxorus because I've heard they're good and it looks like a BAMF.
The only real reason I have Kyurem is because I needed a Flyer, and he's also pretty cool. And the reason I have Sandslash is because he was my legit shiny catch. I want a good water type though...

Any suggestions are welcome, please and thank you.

Years
Have you considered using Starmie? It's got great Speed and Special Attack plus with a movepool made up of Surf + Psychic + Ice Beam + Thunderbolt it can destroy a lot of things in its path. Its defensive stats aren't too bad either and it makes for a solid all-out attacker.

Otherwise, there's also Jellicent, which has some decently good stats (notably Sp. Atk, Sp. Def and HP) and it can also use some varied attacks like Ice Beam, Energy Ball and Psychic as well as Surf and Shadow Ball for STAB. It also has some good status moves like Toxic and Will-O-Wisp for wittling away at the foe's HP.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
By the way, which one among these three Flying Pokemon is ideal to be used on my Black 2 playthrough?

Calm-nature Golbat Lv. 22, but its friendship is quite high so it might evolve soon.
Jolly-nature Sigilyph Lv.21
Jolly-nature Unfezant Lv.34

Years
I personally have to say that Unfezant isn't that great, while it does have a tempting ability in Super Luck, and the critical hit rate can be boosted by a Razor Claw/Scope Lens the major problem is that its offensive stats lean towards the physical side and most of the moves it learns outside of TMs/HMs/Move Tutors are special-based.

Sigilyph is a good option if you want a Psychic-type, although the problem with yours is that the Jolly nature slightly weakens its great Special Attack. It does learn a good variety of both damaging and non-damaging attacks (it gets both Psychic and Air Slash which feed off that great Sp. Atk) and it's faster than most of the bulkier Psychics found in the game. It also can have Magic Guard for an ability, basically rendering indirect damage on it useless.

Crobat is actually pretty awesome from what I've heard, it's fast, and has solid offensive stats, and its defenses aren't too bad either. Although the Calm nature weakens its higher Attack stat, it does get a really good move in Acrobatics, which can hit for around 110 power if not holding any items.

Natures don't matter as much in-game, but I often do tend to go for natures that suit my Pokemon's main damaging stat better, I'd say the one you use depends on what you also have on your team. I'd probably pick either the Crobat or the Sigilyph if I were you.

King Of Pokemon

Pokemon King
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2014
Is This A Good Leaf Green Team?

This is my Leaf Green Team, it is as follows.
-Charizard
-Starmie
-Victreebel/Pikachu
-Hypno
-Gengar
-Aerodactyl

I haven't decided on the moves yet, so feel free to suggest some.

I need to make a big decision. I'm in the Silph Co. Building. Should I keep Cloyster as my Water Type on my team, or replace it with Lapras?

Keep the Cloyster, Lapras is terrible.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 27, 2013
Alright I've managed to narrow down my Movesets.... However, there still remain a few I need help with. (This is for Diamond by the way)
My party consists of:

Empoleon- surf | ice beam | flash cannon | drill peck (this will be replaced with energy ball when I come across it)
Honchkrow- fly | aerial ace | steel wing | dark pulse

The next four I need input on (I need help on the Movesets, I'm not changing my party):

Toxicroak- x-scissor | poison jab | brick break | faint attack (this is the move I want to replace; should I give him stone edge or earthquake?)

Luxray- spark | iron tail | crunch | discharge (this is the move I want to replace; any suggestions that don't involve breeding? I am looking for coverage)

Gengar- shadow ball | dark pulse | thunderbolt | nightshade (this is the move I want to replace; should I give him psychic or sludge bomb? Again, I am looking for coverage, as he has a very low defense)

Dialga- dragon pulse | roar of time | metal claw | earth power

Dialga is the one I am having the most trouble with; I definitely want to keep dragon pulse and keep aura sphere when he learns it. However, I am also considering the following moves:

Thunder
Flash cannon

So, what should Dialga have for his four set moves? Or rather, two set moves? (Since I am automatically keeping aura sphere and dragon pulse)
Note: these pokemon are NOT for teaming up with someone online; I am just building them for my game in general (and ultimately for the battle tower, single battles) any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

~ Slim

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
My team for R/B isn't quite ready yet and I have a few questions. I'd really like it if you guys could help me choose a couple extra Pokémon and if you could suggest movesets as I'm a complete beginner.

I also would like to know if Dragonite can only be obtained through the coin game and if picking Red/Blue will have an influence on my team completion. I believe all of my potential Pokémon can be evolved either through a stone or by growing up.
Sadly I cannot trade so there are some good Pokémon I won't be getting.

My main problem is the starter. What is the starter which would be the most useful against the E4 (given my team ideas?)

Please let me know if I chose a Pokémon that's really bad for the team. I checked their weaknesses and normally they are good to go, but maybe their moveset/ stats are bad. :(

Also, do warn me if one of the Pokés I choose will only be available very late IG. I might not be able to train a lot right before E4 (I want a balanced team for the later arenas).

1. Arcanine
I saw him and absolutely loved him. He's one big boy, and very cute. :)
He's the reason why I don't want to pick Charizard anymore. I've never had one before.

2. Blastoise/Venusaur
Well that's a tough one. I need to pick a starter if I want to actually play the game. I love all three starters so I really want to pick the best one for my team.

3. Dragonite
He has very high stats and I just like him a lot. However I'm afraid I can only get him through the coin game. I'd be prepared to let them go if that were the case.

4. Hypno
Well I can't get Alakazam and I do some auto-hypnosis IRL so it was tempting to pick him. I quite like Psy Pokémon.

5. Jolteon
Urgh I don't like Eevee's evolutions. I don't know why he's in the list. Probably because I didn't find another Poké that would make the team more balanced. I'd like to get rid of him.

6. Snorlax
This one is obviously staying.

Possible replacements for "dubious" Pokés:
Lapras/ Starmie/ Nidoqueen
I don't know if Mewtwo is obtainable early enough and to be honest I don't like the way he looks, I'd rather have a Mew.
I like all three replacements but my passion for Water Pokémon is probably an issue (if taken too far :p)

That's it, sorry for the long post!

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
NU Battle Revolution Team

I am making a team specifically to beat Stargazer Colosseum (Post-main game) , only using Pokémon from the NU tier. I want to try to get a good variety of Pokémon types. So far, I have the following: Altaria , Camerupt, and Shiftry. I still need three more Pokémon. Which other three NU Pokémon should I use to cover my team's weaknesses?

Years
  • Seen Sep 20, 2013
So I'm gonna start a run of Black 2 soon, and I've been brainstorming for ideas for an in-game team. So far, I've came up with:

Snivy/Servine/Serperior
- Snivy is my favorite Gen. 5 starter, so I feel like I have to choose him. Also, none of the other grass types in the game interest me too much.

Riolu/Lucario or Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone
- I've been going back and forth between the two, and both seem like really good choices for a team. Though I'm leaning towards Riolu and Lucario since they are obtainable earlier in the game than the Magnemite line.

Psyduck/Golduck or Staryu/Starmie
- I know that Staryu and Starmie are the better choices, but a part of me wants to use Psyduck and Golduck because they available much earlier in the game than the other two.

Zubat/Golbat/Crobat
- From what I can tell, Zubat and their evolutions aren't too bad in this game. It seems more fun, interesting and effective than choosing a regular and generic flying type like Pidove.

Volcarona
- I've never used one of these before, and it seems like it would work somewhat well. I really want a fire type for my team, and Volcarona is the only one that really catches my eye .

Sneasel/Weavile
- I don't feel like my team's complete without an ice type, and Sneasel is one of my favorite ice types design wise and gameplay wise. I don't know if Sneasel is better or worse than Swinub or Vanillite, but it's just a personal preference.

Feel free to give me any suggestions on my team, movesets, and anything else of that sort. Thanks in advance!

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

- Snivy is my favorite Gen. 5 starter, so I feel like I have to choose him. Also, none of the other grass types in the game interest me too much.
Not much to say. Grass types are really underwhelming and the only one that really got me into them was Sceptile, who is of dragon's blood -- being able to learn Dragon Claw, Dragon Breath, and the likes. Nonetheless, Serperior's better with his Dream World ability.

If it's just because you want him, no ones stopping you. Fire/Fighting is quite old (altho emboar is the only one i like among the fire/fighting starters) and i hate Oshawott... so good choice.

Riolu/Lucario or Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone
- I've been going back and forth between the two, and both seem like really good choices for a team. Though I'm leaning towards Riolu and Lucario since they are obtainable earlier in the game than the Magnemite line.
IMO, Magnezone is better in the long run. You may use Riolu/Lucario when you get him... but I think you should switch to magnemite immediately as you get it.

Psyduck/Golduck or Staryu/Starmie
- I know that Staryu and Starmie are the better choices, but a part of me wants to use Psyduck and Golduck because they available much earlier in the game than the other two.
Not bad. Starmie has recover though, which i love (and am annoyed with) from water types. But if it's just to have a SURFer, Golduck's not bad. He could manage.

Zubat/Golbat/Crobat
- From what I can tell, Zubat and their evolutions aren't too bad in this game. It seems more fun, interesting and effective than choosing a regular and generic flying type like Pidove.
Crobat's evolutions were never too bad. In fact, they're one of the best flyers - not counting legendaries and dragon/flying hybrids. Pidove's not even worth mentioning in Crobat's face. XP

Volcarona
- I've never used one of these before, and it seems like it would work somewhat well. I really want a fire type for my team, and Volcarona is the only one that really catches my eye .
<3 not bad, but do remember that Larvesta only evolves at level 59 (2nd longest pokemon to evolve; 1st being hydreigon @64)... so just be patient.

Sneasel/Weavile
- I don't feel like my team's complete without an ice type, and Sneasel is one of my favorite ice types design wise and gameplay wise. I don't know if Sneasel is better or worse than Swinub or Vanillite, but it's just a personal preference.
One of my personal favorites as well. Weavile's actually a great ice type, as he's the fastest Ice pokemon you could ever get (i think it ties only with a legendary poke). Teach it ice punch and you're ready to go. However, it's walled by a lot of other typings though. On the bright side, you could use it best against Dragons and Flying pokemon -- 2 of which are very common in most teams.

Do remember that most steel types would counter you real hard.

As for ice types in general, Glaceon's pretty awesome too...

Nakala Pri

I just got my big sister's file on Pokemon Pearl (not against her will) and I am up to the bit where Cheryl is taking me deep into the forest to kill me. So it's not to late to change my team.

Starly: DO NOT WANT!!

Shinx: Well, it's evolutions are powerful and cool. So I wanna keep it.

Chimchar: I like it, but if anyone has any information to share on it's strength, I am willing to boot it.

Budew: I want Roselia! :x

Buizel: Willing to boot... ish.

That is my team so far. Plus I am gunning for an Aipom so if anyone has anything to say to that, well, please do.

Thanks! :D

Years
I just got my big sister's file on Pokemon Pearl (not against her will) and I am up to the bit where Cheryl is taking me deep into the forest to kill me. So it's not to late to change my team.

Starly: DO NOT WANT!!

Shinx: Well, it's evolutions are powerful and cool. So I wanna keep it.

Chimchar: I like it, but if anyone has any information to share on it's strength, I am willing to boot it.

Budew: I want Roselia! :x

Buizel: Willing to boot... ish.

That is my team so far. Plus I am gunning for an Aipom so if anyone has anything to say to that, well, please do.

Thanks! :D
Half of your team matches with my team of Platinum. I will suggest you to skip Aipom and replace it with Gible which is tank in battling

Nakala Pri

Replace Aipom??? :O I should edit that... I don't wanna. :X I love it's crazy cuteness and how in the anime it is proud and even cuter. ^^

Back