The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Brendino

Nature: Quiet
I really don't have a preference if my Pokemon is either male or female, just as long as I don't have all 6 of the same gender on my team at once (I don't mind having 5 of one gender and one genderless, though, as long as it breaks it up).

And to be perfectly honest, I don't think I cared what my Pokemon was all the way back to Gold, other than coming up with a better suited nickname for them. Sure, some species might be a little more masculine or feminine looking, but that's no different from regular animals, either.
Old July 7th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
If I have a name already picked out for the Pokemon that is gender specific then I aim for that gender. However, if I don't have a nickname picked out for a Pokemon then I'll catch the Pokemon first and then decide on a nickname depending on the gender. Beyond that it doesn't quite matter to me the gender. Especially if I'm not going to use the Pokemon, then I don't care if a masculine Pokemon is female and vice-versa because it's just going to be in the PC box for who knows how long.
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:53 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
During the mid-early part of my gaming career, I only caught male Pokemon (because most of my Pokemon were female in my Ruby version), except when certain species were only one gender, or had more females than males. Later on, I eventually mellowed out and caught Pokemon regardless of gender.

Old July 8th, 2013, 04:49 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

I only care about it if I plan to breed the Pokemon or if it very obviously appears to be male when it really is female or the other way around.
For example, there is no way a male Bellossom will ever make it to my in-game team, nor a female Machoke.

If it's somewhat gender-neutral, then either is fine. I did SR for a female Bulbasaur though haha.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I don't think I ever cared about the gender of my Pokemon that much. If I have a particular nickname in mind, then I do get picky about it. The designs don't have any bearing on my decisions at all either. If it's a Pokemon and I want to catch it, I'll do so no matter what little symbol is next to its name.
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Airhead
Banned

Nature: Quirky
Depending on it's design, I have female. That way I can breed if I want to and I have a good feeling about my Pokemon. Like I would have a male Sawk and a female Lopunny.

What's wrong with girls?? :O
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:53 AM
adventure
trust your doctor

Nature: Naive
I used to want mostly male pokémon, but nowadays I don't discriminate and just go with whatever gender the pokémon I capture happens to be.

I always imagine my pokémon having personalities in the game, and some female pokémon that look manly can get really interesting personalities in my head xD Same for male pokémon in feminine bodies. Great examples are male Gardevoir and female Lucario.
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Knormageddon
King of Strong Style

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via Skype™ to Knormageddon
Haha, I was just thinking about this when getting a lot of female Pokemon for my LoL inspired team. I don't really have a preference, but I'm noticing a lot of my main team is male. The only time I'll really go out of my way to get a gender over another, is if the Pokemon is overly-masculine or overly-feminine. I won't get a female Machoke xD

I will get a female Mr. Mime, though... Ms. Mine. :3
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Nil Nuane

Nature: Relaxed
I usually don't care about the gender. And don't get me wrong, I do somewhat care about my pokemon in general. I always remember their nicknames, and usually remember things like nature, or the pokemon's moves, better than the gender. I think it's because the gender doesn't matter for most pokemon.

There was one time I wanted to get a vespiquen for my pokedex, and got a male combee and started training it. I thought my game was glitched because my combee didn't evolve >.>
I'm really oblivious sometimes lol
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:16 PM
lmcde22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrop View Post
Right now I'm building an Eeveelution team and I won't use an Eevee unless it's female.
Hahaha how is that going for you? It would take forever to hatch them what with the 90:10 male to female ratio. How many eggs did you have to hatch to get 7 females???
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I have to admit, when i was a kid, i would only use Male Pokemon.
And i remember getting super-mad when my Torchic in Sapphire was a female xD
Nower days though i really dont care, since it doesnt make any real differen (:
Au contraire, i find it pretty funny to catch a female version of a Pokemon that, by looks,
should clearly by a male, like Aggron or Tyranitar :D

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old July 10th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Limerent
Community Supporter

As a kid, I don't think I cared about the gender of my Pokemon whatsoever. Now, thanks to education provided by the Internet, I like to have designs of a specific gender orientation kept to that gender, i.e Gardevoir and Machamp must be female and male, respectively. Even to a lesser extent say Vulpix is more feminine based than Pikachu (because I like the male one from the anime). The majority of Pokemon I don't care however, and with my team I can have a max of 4 genders and a minimum of two for the other, or a 50/50 ratio, either way doesn't bother me
Old July 10th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Autumn Reverie
The world bores you when you're cool.

Nature: Modest
I don't mind which gender of Pokemon I catch. Gender isn't of any huge importance to me, but I do prefer a mixture of female and male Pokemon in my teams to make them look good. :P If I need a specific gender so that it can evolve to a specific Pokemon (Ralts/Combee comes into mind), I will only catch that gender of that Pokemon.
Old July 10th, 2013, 07:45 AM
ReeDim
Pokémusician (H4XH4X0R)

As someone who has never caught a shiny (Besides Gyarados) I generally search for females of my favourite Pokémon so that once I have beaten the Elite Four or whatever in W2, I want to try Pokémon breeding to try and get good movesets and perhaps even a shiny Pokémon, and of course, the offspring is the same species as the mother Pokémon. As well as some of the other people on this thread, I also like to keep gender ratio in my team fairly even, for some reason. However, there are of course some times when I view certain Pokémon as being either male or female. I got a Gothorita through a Dream World event some time ago, but it turned out to be male, which I thought was weird and kinda creepy.

<-- Ferry to Hoenn
<-- Hype train
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM
hiinotama
P r e p a r e .

Nature: Adamant
i'm the same as most. when i was younger, i didn't care much about what Pokémon's gender was, unless it was EXTREMELY gender-specific, like Machamp or Mr. Mime.

nowadays i tend to be a lot more picky, but only when it comes to certain Pokémon. for example, when catching my Scraggy, it had to be male, but when i ended up with a female Snivy when restarting for a good nature, i didn't mind at all. in fact, since i later noticed that all other Pokémon i wanted to use in my team were supposed to be male in my mind, i was glad i hadn't ended up with a male Snivy too! at least i had SOME gender-diversity now.

most Pokémon need to have a specific gender to fit my mind's image of them. but there's also some Pokémon i just don't know what to do with. for example, when playing RSE i was of course convinced that Roselia had to be female. but then Sinnoh popped up with ROSERADE... and suddenly i wasn't so sure anymore!
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Meaii
The countdown begins ...

Nature: Gentle
I am never really gender specific, only if catching Ralts (I like Gallade <3), but I do occasionally pick names that would only fit with a girl such as Rosie the Roserade.

Sometimes I do end up scavenging for a certain gender of a certain Pokémon so I can breed them, but I'm not your every day professional breeder!

If it is, for example, Machamp, I don't search for a girl Machop/Machoke in the first place because that is just wrong! But I don't search furiously and will not stop until I do find a male, I'm alright with a female but it changes my opinion on them quite a lot if they are a certain 'mon. If it was a Pidgey, who cares? x) Also, I'm not saying it's wrong for a woman to be muscly and beefy, but Machamp just looks like a man in my opinion! <3

23 days until~
Old July 13th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
It's usually more important for me that a feminine pokemon is female than I care for a masculine pokemon being male. I usually aim for 50-50 gender balance in my teams.
Old July 15th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Nature: Mild
Ew, it's a boy!

Only in my original Sapphire run did I want to capture mostly female Pokemon. I completed the Hoenn dex and nicknamed them all, haha. I did that because my starter Pokemon happened to be female, and I thought that was pretty cool/rare at the time.

For random captures, I don't mind the gender. My team turns out whichever way fate wants it to be. For random breeds, I don't mind hatching a female Abra, female Timburr, male Feebas, or male Buneary. If I hatched a Pokemon with a good nature/stat, gender doesn't matter (unless if it's for a gender-specific evolution like Ralts). As I turned to RNG abusing over the years, then yeah I would often pick what gender I had in mind, like a female Vaporeon or female Togekiss. I often had a nickname in mind.
Old July 15th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Green Stache

I don't really care about the gender at all, even if it's a male cross dressing Jinx, haha. But I dunno if it's correct or not, but don't they have different stats? The males have better attack, but the females have better defence? Cause if you compare the two, thats what it shows in my Pokemon games, but even then, I still don't care if it's a male or not.
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:39 AM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Oh, I usually don't mind genders much, but I got a few exceptions.
My Chikorita MUST be female. So I'll soft reset until I get a female one.
Wigglytuff, Clefable, Skitty, Butterfree, Beautifly, Ninetales, Vileplume, Bellossom, Lapras, Jumpluff, Flareon, Espeon, Glaceon, Vaporeon, Tangela, Dragonair, Corsola, Gardevoir, Azumarril, Mawile, Plusle, Altaria, Milotic, Chimeco, Banette, Gorebyss, Luvdisc, Roselia, Cherrim, Mismagius, Gastrodon (West Sea), Glameow, Purrloin, Munna, Audino, Leavanny, Whimsicott, Maractus, Cinccino, Gothielle, Swanna, Emolga, Frillish, Alomomola, Chandelure, Sylveon, Fennekin
(The following are other Gen 6 Pokémon some people might not know about because they chose not to so Imma add them under a spoiler so click it on your own risk)
Spoiler:
Inkay, Swirlix, Spritzee, Flabébé, Vivillon
must all be female when in my team.
Some others could go here, unless they look like they should be male( like Machamp, Gengar and Arcanine- seriously, THOSE GUYS shouldn't be female >.>)

"We will kill your enemies. That will be fun."
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:33 AM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post
I used to want mostly male pokémon, but nowadays I don't discriminate and just go with whatever gender the pokémon I capture happens to be.

I always imagine my pokémon having personalities in the game, and some female pokémon that look manly can get really interesting personalities in my head xD Same for male pokémon in feminine bodies. Great examples are male Gardevoir and female Lucario.
i imagine my pokemon have personalities also, when i was young i ALWAYS caught males. but now days i mix it up. for example, i have a male growlithe which i pretend is my companion. but i have a female kingdra. which i imagine being highly protective, i also have a nidoqueen on my party with a brave nature, [maxed attack evs] and i imagine that she would protect my character with her life.
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
I like to have an even mix between the genders. I also don't care about what pokemon looks like a male or what looks like a female. (in fact there are many male only or female only pokemon that I wish could also be the other gender, like Kangaskhan or Braviary....unless it makes absolute perfect sense to be only one gender like Vespiquen.)

I had a wonderful female Conkeldurr in Pokemon White.
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:08 AM
molivious
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Stache View Post
But I dunno if it's correct or not, but don't they have different stats? The males have better attack, but the females have better defence? Cause if you compare the two, thats what it shows in my Pokemon games, but even then, I still don't care if it's a male or not.
The stats may only have differed due to having different IVs. Two pokemon of opposite genders with exactly the same IVs would have exactly the same stats.

...well, there's Nidoking and Nidoqueen with such stat difference. lol

The only time there really was a stat difference between 2 genders was during Gen 2 -- males were stronger.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:40 AM
greenking13
LORD OF ZHERRY

Nature: Calm
Gender doesn't really matter to me, although I do suppose I have mostly male pokemon. Although if I find that certain pokemon... But it's female, who cares! I'm still capturing it.
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
­

Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
François
#FutureHoennRemakesMod
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I don't try any specific gender quotas or favour any one gender of pokémon over others, but I always look at a pokémon as an individual, judge whether its design is more masculine or feminine, and then try to catch the suitable gender. Of course when you get to the more gender-neutral pokémon things get a bit iffy - I wonder how many others see Volcarona as a female?

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links