The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:00 PM
papayaperson
Intermediate Hackker

Nature: Relaxed
I'm attempting sprites for my hack, Shining Waters/Hazing Flames (my sigpic contains a link to the Thread) and I haven't done sprites in ages, so I just want to hear (read xD) some opinions on them and what I should do differently. I'm totally open to any criticism you have xD Also, don't judge the general idea/design of them, these just preliminary sprites I'm doing for practice while the concept art is being redesigned.

Draguard:
Spoiler:

This is Draguard. His concept is basically an infected dragon/serpent/etc. hanging from a shield. His iron skull (which I made pink for some aesthetic value) is showing at the top. I'm not sure what it is about this one that bothers me, but I know it could be better..

Tankle:
Spoiler:

This is Tankle. His concept is a slug formed from radioactive waste material, flowing from a tank on it's back. What bothers me mostly is the lack of texture and the eye, but I ca't figure out to fix this...

Beadle:
Spoiler:

This is Beadle, my Bug-type. It's concept was the combination of a bead necklace with a caterpillar (which look slightly similar in the glint of an eye..), and from there I came up with an evolutionary line based on jewelry. I don't see much wrong with this one, I like the texture and I think overall I did this one pretty well, especially considering I had no concept art, but still open to criticism for this one :3

Slateye:
Spoiler:

This is a Fire/Rock-type I designed... Based on a cooling lava flow. This was done a little while ago, and I think it looks alright, but any ideas for improvement on this one?

I'll add more later, it's just these 3 for now. Keep in mind these ar 64x64 for a GBA hack (which means I also only get 16 colors including the background). So tell me what you think :3

Last edited by papayaperson; July 12th, 2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Whitney's Shaymin
Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Bad-ass i'll say. If this is a beginner's work what does a expert's look like?

"The Incredibly Pretty Girl"

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

FC: 4699-7156-4669 IGN: Gavin
Old July 11th, 2013, 04:15 PM
papayaperson
Intermediate Hackker

Thanks I know they aren't too bad, but I think an expert's work looks more like this:
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
Beadle is actually pretty good, so I won't touch on that one.

On Tankle, I'd add some outlines on the body to make it look more blob-like. You can look at Grimer and Muk sprites to see how that would look.

As for Draguard... I really don't know what it needs, but it needs something.

Old July 11th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Nice designs and good progress. Keep in mind you require 4 and I understand you'll be adding more soon. I'll give you time to do that, but (this goes for anyone) next time when you plan on posting a thread you should have 4+ scratch sprites.
Old July 12th, 2013, 04:37 AM
papayaperson
Intermediate Hackker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
Nice designs and good progress. Keep in mind you require 4 and I understand you'll be adding more soon. I'll give you time to do that, but (this goes for anyone) next time when you plan on posting a thread you should have 4+ scratch sprites.
Thanks! And okay, sorry, I added one :D
Old July 19th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Keep in mind you can continuosly post whenever you want and as many times as you want (to an extent) to keep updating this thread with new sprites. Your sprites are great, and I would love to see evolutions and where you're at now.
Old July 19th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Zenesis

look nice man, i like "Slateye" sprite the most, keep at it :D
Old July 19th, 2013, 06:56 PM
joeyhugg

I like the last two. Keep practicing!

Sponsored Links