The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > The Team Room

Notices

The Team Room Team up, start a formation of dedicated hackers and helpers. Here, you can discuss production of hacks with other groups, or make your own hacking group (through approval processes).

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:27 PM
DarkRisingGirl
Order Must Be Restored

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeeber95 View Post
You should really get some play testers on your team. The last game had a lot of errors on teams, moves, and things like that. If you didn't play through it fully several times with all three starters, you wouldn't catch it.

Get 3 play testers (one for each starter) that ONLY have the job of playtesting (so they don't focus specifically on maps or scripts or character plot or anything like that), and if possible, ask them to catch certain Pokemon that you, as a game designer, think are either broken or very weak. See if there are starters that make the game WAY harder, and see if there are some that make it easier. Starter selection was a very big weakness in the last game, with Dratini being a level 5 that had Wrap, having to fight against a Gible with rough skin and a 40 BP move along with Sand Attack. There were also things in general that just shouldn't be there that early in the game. Pokemon that could poison before you got antidotes? Nooo... Drought Vulpix when the gym gives you over heat (plus the gym itself being WAY too powerful... Heatmor with Solar beam and Fire Punch under sun? No thank you regardless of the fact that you start out with a dragon) is not a good idea, either. Zen Headbutt having a 100% chance of causing the flinch status was another problem. The level curve from the beginning to the first gym was also ridiculous in all regards. These are all things that could have been fixed completely with 3 play testers.

If you don't have 3 designated play testers that have access to programs like YAPE, some type of move editor, Advance Map, and other programs similar to the mentioned, then the (few) negatives from the last game will stand out. This will also fix any typo problems early instead of them being left untouched and then being left in the end product.

There is a reason why play testers are a legitimate thing in actual gaming companies, and there's a reason why the general public doesn't play test in most cases. MOST players are happy when they get a Vulpix that has drought, gets over heat early, and has a move that can cause 100% flinching... But for the people that like balanced games, that's not good at all, and it will push them away from this hack if it is anything like the first in this regard.

I'm not here to criticize, I'm here to state that I really want to play this version of your game because the last one was so hard to play through with these obvious flaws, and I don't want to have to play through that in this version. I really liked the plot details of your last hack, but the gameplay made it unbearable... Literally.

I'm not asking to be a play tester, either (although I wouldn't mind helping out )... I'm just asking that you get (at least) 3 people that are specifically there for play testing this hack WHILE you're creating it, not afterwards. Encourage them to find any flaws in the game's balancing. These issues are VERY small individually, but without play testers, these small issues add up and make the game play un enjoyable. If you get three play testers that will point out these flaws and make sure the game is balanced over all, It will make this hack TONS better, and it will probably be awarded for the efforts. Trust me. Good hacks have all good traits, from game play to story, and number 1 lacked in the game play department. Make the game play in this one WAY better by having play testers on your team playing with you WHILE you make the hack.
Don't worry, all of that is covered and completed. I have an entirely different look at this stuff Now than when I made the first one. The first one was actually finished 2 something years ago and was my first overall hack back when I was a beginner at all of this stuff. I just moved everything over to another rom and changed a few things which actually caused the gameplay to be unbalanced at times and buggy.
The other thing is, I made the hack with just 1 person who was the scripter. So Dark Rising 1 was a two person hack. THIS time, I have an entire team full of very good hackers And I'm A LOT better at everything. I just couldn't show it in Dark Rising 1 because it was pretty much done already before I got as good at this stuff as I am now. Dark Rising 2 is still going to be hard(But not as ridiculous as the first one), but it will be more balanced and fun. There will still be things you won't like about the sequel and others will however, I can't satisfy everyone. But I'm sure overall it will be a very amazing hack. Everything from the first one has been improved Drastically.
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:02 PM
jbeeber95
Miracle Painting

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to jbeeber95
Okay! Making sure, since I would really like to play this one. Sorry if I sounded harsh or disrespectful. I'm looking forward to a more balanced and enjoyable sequel of the first game .

~Take a Melody; Simple as can be; Give it some words and; Sweet Harmony. Raise your voices; All day long now; Love grows strong now; Sing a melody of love; ooh love~
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Zerkrom The Hedgehog
A Stocking Fanboy

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRisingGirl View Post
Don't worry, all of that is covered and completed. I have an entirely different look at this stuff Now than when I made the first one. The first one was actually finished 2 something years ago and was my first overall hack back when I was a beginner at all of this stuff. I just moved everything over to another rom and changed a few things which actually caused the gameplay to be unbalanced at times and buggy.
The other thing is, I made the hack with just 1 person who was the scripter. So Dark Rising 1 was a two person hack. THIS time, I have an entire team full of very good hackers And I'm A LOT better at everything. I just couldn't show it in Dark Rising 1 because it was pretty much done already before I got as good at this stuff as I am now. Dark Rising 2 is still going to be hard(But not as ridiculous as the first one), but it will be more balanced and fun. There will still be things you won't like about the sequel and others will however, I can't satisfy everyone. But I'm sure overall it will be a very amazing hack. Everything from the first one has been improved Drastically.
Anything you need from me?
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:06 AM
DarkRisingGirl
Order Must Be Restored

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerkrom The Hedgehog View Post
Anything you need from me?
Not at the moment. We need scripting and tile inserting done.
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Zerkrom The Hedgehog
A Stocking Fanboy

Quote:
Not at the moment. We need scripting and tile inserting done.
okie then, i just didnt want to be inactive
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:44 PM
pasta122
PASTA122

hey can I be a beta tester id love to see ur game progress... by the way ur first hack was ****ing awesome
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:39 AM
rhettz_emboar
Did you just pee??

I reaaally wanna try this
Can I be a beta tester,
Can I??

I hate people like you..
[/SIZE]

Last edited by rhettz_emboar; July 1st, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Dark Shadow 6
Kιηg Oƒ Hєαятѕ

Nature: Lonely
I Played Pokemon Dark Rising Is Really Hard To Play But I Like Hard Games Becouse I Like Challenges In The Game..

I Hope Pokemon Dark Rising 2 Has Been Hardest Game Ever And [Hack Of The Year]
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Paul_KitKat

I Have Played Pokemon Dark Rising And I Am Really Love The Way You Put The Storyline Together. I Can't Wait Untill DR2 Is Finished. I Am Gonna Love This Game! <3 Thank You So Much For This "Series" DRG <3
Old July 12th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Paul_KitKat

Is Pokemon DR2 Still Gonna Be Based Of A FireRed Hack or Another Hack?
Old July 24th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Uzigunner

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Shubunkus, you're officially IN. And you won't have to worry about this hack coming to an end. I 100% devoted myself from the beginning to complete this hack trilogy and I don't plan to quit until it's finished. I'll be PM'ing you within a few hours to discuss the beginning script of the hack. You'll also have freedom to put any ideas you want in it as well. Speak to ya soon, and thank you. ^.^
I hope you come back with that exact determination 1 day... Anywho, I hope this thread will be revived one day, so that hopefully I can finish what DRG started. The fire burns in me and if I really hope if the thread revives I will make my mark and hopefully enter the team and finish the Dark Rising Trilogy. I'm that damn determined..
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
Shubunkus
I.R.

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzigunner View Post
I hope you come back with that exact determination 1 day... Anywho, I hope this thread will be revived one day, so that hopefully I can finish what DRG started. The fire burns in me and if I really hope if the thread revives I will make my mark and hopefully enter the team and finish the Dark Rising Trilogy. I'm that damn determined..
Welp, I guess this hack didn't really survive after I disappeared and I admit, I contributed to the fall of DR2 with my absence. When I returned, I found out DRG pulled the plug from having any community help with this hack. I hope she does come back as this was the first hack that I really enjoyed creating.
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:50 AM
rhettz_emboar
Did you just pee??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubunkus View Post
Welp, I guess this hack didn't really survive after I disappeared and I admit, I contributed to the fall of DR2 with my absence. When I returned, I found out DRG pulled the plug from having any community help with this hack. I hope she does come back as this was the first hack that I really enjoyed creating.
But you know if you can continue this great hack,I'm willing to help you..

I hate people like you..
[/SIZE]
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:14 PM
tommax

Nature: Hardy
I would love to help out! I think I'm perfect for this because ive been a huge pokemon fan for quite some time now ive played the first version before and I have ideas in my head just waiting to be spread :D

Skills(Mostly looking for Scripters, Mappers, Inserters): Im not the best at coding but like i said, i have ideas floating around in my mind so i would like to go for a scripter

Proof of Work(I need to know how good you are at the specific area of which you're applying for): Ive made quite a few Minecraft maps (Some people haven't heard of it before) but mine are scripted.

Availability(I know everyone has a life, trust me. However, I need active members on the team at least 3 or 4 times a week.): Im on the computer almost every day for the rest of the summer so i can put in a few hours everyday or every other day. And starting september i can put in an hour on week days and a few hours on the weekend
Are you D.C.I.D.T.(Devoted, Consistent, Interested, Determined, a Team player): Ive always been a team player, for everything. And I am extremely devoted and determined. And i am ver interested

Thank you and i will (hopefully) talk to you soon!

Last edited by tommax; August 20th, 2013 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Spellcheck lol
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:42 AM
Endless_Void
Rawr

Nature: Naive
I would really love to help making the new DR hack well I played the first one that was really nice now I would love to see the new one.

Skills:Mapping,Basic Scripting and Beta Testing.
Proof of Work:Here it is my Map link: imgur.com/rGvFZs4,

My quick starter script:
#dyn 0x740000
#org @start
checkflag FR_POKEMON
if true jump :end
addpokemon CUBONE 5 THICKCLUB 0 0 0
setflag FR_POKEDEX
setflag FR_POKEMON
special FR_NATIONAL_DEX
sethealingplace 1
setflag FR_RUNNING_SHOES
additem TM01 1
additem STICK 1
additem POTION 3
:end
end

Availability:Always on after school (Not always on when September cuz of a RolePlay thing in my school so yeah).

Are you D.C.I.D.T:I'm Determined and Extremely Interested on what I'm doing,Im not really a Team player,Lil' bit devoted .

If I don't get accepted well It's okay,Good luck on making the game.

Last edited by Endless_Void; August 31st, 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Just need to edit the post.
Old November 9th, 2013, 11:56 AM
MrAnimeAMVmaker

Nature: Calm
I am a spriter and to prove how good I am here is my Mega charizard Y sprite.
p.s
If we weren't team players we wouldn't be asking to help, just saying.
I have helped in multiple hacks and have done a very good solo hack, I can do anything sprite related and edit stats, Icons and also edit which TM's are obtainable in the game. I have an incredible amount of free time this weekend and would have enough free time later on to help with most of the spriting and type editing, even going as far as to help create a Type but that takes a long time, time that I don't quite have for type creating.
Attached Images
File Type: png mega_charizard_y.png‎ (17.4 KB, 4 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by MrAnimeAMVmaker; November 9th, 2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Not complete
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:32 AM
LuxrayHacker

Skills Mostly Mapping a little bit spriting and insirts
Proof of Work I made the town and giritina sprite as well
Availability Lol what life XD but honestly I'm home schooled so I have a lot of free time to help
Are you D.C.I.D.T. Definitely I love working with others and when I am asked to work on a certain aspect I'll do it to the best of my ability :D
Old November 12th, 2013, 05:12 PM
ashgray14

could i be a beta tester for dark rising 2
Old November 21st, 2013, 09:06 AM
xGal
du bist n00b

Nature: Bold
Hi, DRG!

It'd be nice if I will join your team as a music inserter

Here is my application form:

Spoiler:
Skills: Music Inserter
Proof of Work:

If you want more proof (in a case that wasn't enough ), PM/VM me.
Availability: 16:00 - 22:30 and 13:00 - 1:30 on Fridays (GMT+3)
Are you D.C.I.D.T.: I don't make music because I have to. I make music for fun/for friends. I also have a Casio organ and I take piano lessons.

Also, I'd like to note that I also compose music for Liquid Crystal (Orange Island).

Greetings,

Gal

Last edited by xGal; November 21st, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:45 PM
merr12

can i join, please! I'm a huge fan on Dark Rising and a awesome scripter, so please accept me! for proof, i'll give a link tomorrow cause i'm kind of going back and forth between my sick mom and school work.
Hi, the name's Chris. Destined to be one of the best at what I do. If Pokemon were real, I wouldn't have to go to school, I could tell you that much. I'm looking for friends and rivals to battle with. I treat everyone equally and have respect for each and everyone's opinions. Hope we can be great friends/rivals!

Last edited by merr12; January 12th, 2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Thatonegurl
Scripter

Nature: Quiet
Skills: Scripting
Proof of Work: http://www.youtube.com/user/Thatonegurl1210
(Plenty of Vids on my Youtube Channel)
Availability: I'm a college student with a part time job, so time is crunched. However, I'm available most weekends and some days during the week.

Please check out my Petalburg City Remix
Thanks!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links