• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen Sweet, Sweet Honey

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
First of all, did you ever attempt to use the Honey to catch Pokémon?
Sure, once I figured out how it worked. I started out trying to just leave the screen and come back, but when that didn't work, I figured that meant you had to wait a while. I ended up doing a route of trees around Floaroma (the one up in the meadow, the one just across the bridge to the east and the one in front of the Weather Institute) and I'd just check them all every morning and evening. That worked out fine. In Diamond, I caught everything there was to catch in them except for a Munchlax, which was fine with me. In Pearl I hunted down a Munchlax tree too, so I got all of them. Then in Platinum I just happened on a Munchlax pretty early on, but had to spend a long time hunting before I finally found a Heracross. And no matter what they are, catching them's a breeze - you can save in front of the tree and it'll be the same pokemon with different stats (and gender and such - important for Combees) every time you reset until you either catch it or don't and reslather the tree. When I finally found that Heracross in Platinum, it took a couple of dozen tries before I finally got an Adamant one.

How do you think it compares to other methods of wild encounters such as Headbutting Trees in G/S/HG/SS?
I actually sort of preferred it to headbutting, since it doesn't require a move. I rotate team members constantly, and in HG/SS, I have to be sure that I've got someone with Headbutt with me if I want to check trees, while in DPPt, it doesn't matter who's on my team.

Would you like to see this mechanic return in future games?
Eh - I wouldn't mind it, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it either. It was okay, but I'd rather see something different.

And finally, how the hell does a Heracross fit in a tree?
The same way it fits in a pokeball?

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
First of all, did you ever attempt to use the Honey to catch Pokémon? If not, was it due to the waiting times, lack of species available or something different entirely?

A.
i had used it once, only to try it. but i never really had an actual reason to use it. if i were to use it again, it would be for fun. as i like to use my imagination.

How do you think it compares to other methods of wild encounters such as Headbutting Trees in G/S/HG/SS?

A. it doesn't compare. headbutting is boss.

Would you like to see this mechanic return in future games?

A. only if it was needed for story line / events or maybe you could only catch certain pokemon using honey.

And finally, how the hell does a Heracross fit in a tree?

A. lets go into this.
trees can be a number of sizes. and heracross is a bug type, so. where else would it live? :D

Years
I tried it a few times just to test it out but the wait time put me off quite a lot. I wasn't the most patient person back during the D/P/Pt days so this was a pretty awful feature for me. :x

Back