• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Ew! It's a girl.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Ew, it's a boy!

Only in my original Sapphire run did I want to capture mostly female Pokemon. I completed the Hoenn dex and nicknamed them all, haha. I did that because my starter Pokemon happened to be female, and I thought that was pretty cool/rare at the time.

For random captures, I don't mind the gender. My team turns out whichever way fate wants it to be. For random breeds, I don't mind hatching a female Abra, female Timburr, male Feebas, or male Buneary. If I hatched a Pokemon with a good nature/stat, gender doesn't matter (unless if it's for a gender-specific evolution like Ralts). As I turned to RNG abusing over the years, then yeah I would often pick what gender I had in mind, like a female Vaporeon or female Togekiss. I often had a nickname in mind.

Years
I don't really care about the gender at all, even if it's a male cross dressing Jinx, haha. But I dunno if it's correct or not, but don't they have different stats? The males have better attack, but the females have better defence? Cause if you compare the two, thats what it shows in my Pokemon games, but even then, I still don't care if it's a male or not.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Oh, I usually don't mind genders much, but I got a few exceptions.
My Chikorita MUST be female. So I'll soft reset until I get a female one.
Wigglytuff, Clefable, Skitty, Butterfree, Beautifly, Ninetales, Vileplume, Bellossom, Lapras, Jumpluff, Flareon, Espeon, Glaceon, Vaporeon, Tangela, Dragonair, Corsola, Gardevoir, Azumarril, Mawile, Plusle, Altaria, Milotic, Chimeco, Banette, Gorebyss, Luvdisc, Roselia, Cherrim, Mismagius, Gastrodon (West Sea), Glameow, Purrloin, Munna, Audino, Leavanny, Whimsicott, Maractus, Cinccino, Gothielle, Swanna, Emolga, Frillish, Alomomola, Chandelure, Sylveon, Fennekin
(The following are other Gen 6 Pokémon some people might not know about because they chose not to so Imma add them under a spoiler so click it on your own risk)
Spoiler:
must all be female when in my team.
Some others could go here, unless they look like they should be male( like Machamp, Gengar and Arcanine- seriously, THOSE GUYS shouldn't be female >.>)

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
I used to want mostly male pokémon, but nowadays I don't discriminate and just go with whatever gender the pokémon I capture happens to be.

I always imagine my pokémon having personalities in the game, and some female pokémon that look manly can get really interesting personalities in my head xD Same for male pokémon in feminine bodies. Great examples are male Gardevoir and female Lucario.

i imagine my pokemon have personalities also, when i was young i ALWAYS caught males. but now days i mix it up. for example, i have a male growlithe which i pretend is my companion. but i have a female kingdra. which i imagine being highly protective, i also have a nidoqueen on my party with a brave nature, [maxed attack evs] and i imagine that she would protect my character with her life.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I like to have an even mix between the genders. I also don't care about what pokemon looks like a male or what looks like a female. (in fact there are many male only or female only pokemon that I wish could also be the other gender, like Kangaskhan or Braviary....unless it makes absolute perfect sense to be only one gender like Vespiquen.)

I had a wonderful female Conkeldurr in Pokemon White.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

But I dunno if it's correct or not, but don't they have different stats? The males have better attack, but the females have better defence? Cause if you compare the two, thats what it shows in my Pokemon games, but even then, I still don't care if it's a male or not.
The stats may only have differed due to having different IVs. Two pokemon of opposite genders with exactly the same IVs would have exactly the same stats.

...well, there's Nidoking and Nidoqueen with such stat difference. lol

The only time there really was a stat difference between 2 genders was during Gen 2 -- males were stronger.

greenking13

LORD OF ZHERRY
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2014
Gender doesn't really matter to me, although I do suppose I have mostly male pokemon. Although if I find that certain pokemon... But it's female, who cares! I'm still capturing it.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
I don't try any specific gender quotas or favour any one gender of pokémon over others, but I always look at a pokémon as an individual, judge whether its design is more masculine or feminine, and then try to catch the suitable gender. Of course when you get to the more gender-neutral pokémon things get a bit iffy - I wonder how many others see Volcarona as a female?

Years
I don't care even a little bit about the gender of a pokemon, even for breeding there's Ditto so it doesn't affect my game at all, except for certain evolutions. That said, it seems I have mostly male pokemon, but it definitely isn't intentional.

Years
Do people care that much about gender? Geez @_@

I only care if I'm going to choose a nickname for my pokés... usually I have ideas only if it's for a female, don't ask me why.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I have this weird compulsion where most of my dragon-like pokémon MUST be female for some reason I don't even understand.

Apart from that, I don't really mind what gender a Pokémon is.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
Oh yeah. I got a problem with those, if pokemon look male but are female, then it bugs me. I mean c'mon you gotta admit this would freak you out if you saw it.

Spoiler:

Years
I don't really pay attention to the gender until someone uses Attract so it doesn't bother me that much.

I always refer to my Pokémon as 'it' rather than 'he' or 'she' as well, but I imagine the majority to be male primarily.

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2015
I usually don't care, unless I can't think of a nickname for a Pokémon of that species and gender. I've had masculine female Pokémon, and feminine male Pokémon, and I didn't mind. (Although, I tend to refer to genderless Pokémon as "he".)

Years
I don't really care that much, but usually I'll try to find Pokemon of a gender that I think they were 'intended' to be. Basically what I'm saying is, no female Mr. Mimes or Machamps, or no male Gorebyss or Roserades. Stuff like that.

BlueEspeon

Banned
Years
  • Age 22
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 24, 2014
I don't really care.
In my Pokemon White, One of my best Pokémon is a female Lucario.
But I've been waiting forever to get a female Espeon :|

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
I'll usually reset my game over and over to get a female starter for breeding purposes. Outside of that gender doesn't make a huge difference to me, unless I have a particular nickname in mind (and there's quite a few for me :7:). Most commonly I'll name a Growlithe/ Arcanine "Lassie," so I'll go out of my way to find a female. One of the reasons I love Shinx and its evolutions is it's a decent Pokemon and I don't need to be picky about gender- Simba and Nala are both fine nicknames.

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Yeah I know that feel Like you know those moments when you talk to your pokemon Like you're playing Pokemon fire red and YOu just think it's badass and then you find out it's a girl..That is a little sexist but true cuZ you dont want your girl pokemon to do the rough work and Sometimes i catch Male ralts I mean a male Gardiveour? I dont think so

Back