• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

What isn't wrong with this Cheerios ad?

Years
I just think it's a whole lot of butthurt for something that isn't too significant. It is the internet. The video might've gone viral within racist-type people or perhaps trolls. But that's it. Since the only white youtubers I really watch are PhillyD and Vlogbrothers and their stuff, there's certainly a lot more on youtube that can be provoking to racists. But it doesn't happen. I feel that it's just one of those once-in-a-blue moon occurrences that the hate gets around. I geddit, but I'm not upset or anything because I don't find it to be that significant. Just one snarky, underhanded, subliminal racial comment provokes me a lot more than a thousand hates for a Cheerios commercial that may or may not be genuine racism. I'm sure Cheerios is happy that they're getting all this media attention over a meaningless "ordeal" >>

Years
It just goes to show you that racism is still an issue in this country, despite what Antonin Scalia thinks. Perhaps it was trolls or whatnot on the YouTube video, but this caused quite a stir for reasons I frankly don't understand. We still have ugly issues with race in America, people just don't want to admit it still.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
I don't quite understand what the big deal is of a mixed race kid playing in a commercial. I mean, would people who are offended by this video also be offended everytime they see mixed race people walking down the street? There's plenty of people I know of personally who are mixed race. And ya know, there's also Barack Obama who is mixed race. Should we get offended by the president's ancestry as well? ...Oh wait.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
...when I figured out why this could possibly be considered controversial, I kinda just laughed. So really all I have to say here is "lmao".

Unfortunately, that'd be spam. I don't get what kind of argument could be used against interracial couples, though, so I really don't have much to say here. I'd like to see what the people who did have a problem with it have to say, so at least I could acknowledge the other side of the 'argument'. I'll go digging, I guess.

Sir Codin

There isn't anything controversial about this video. Anyone who turns it into a race issue needs their head examined.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I think the people who are calling this commercial racist are racist themselves are they are bringing up something completely insignificant in a CEREAL COMMERCIAL.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
I, personally, see nothing wrong with this advert.

It's just a happy family.

Years
Youtubers are infamous for becoming attack dogs when they get behind a computer screen, as well as any social media website where anonymity can be maintained.

This video had 37000 thumbs up and 1900 thumbs down, MSNBC, which is less than 5% of the viewers, assuming most of them represent roughly those who were making derogatory comments. So I can't say the racism is that prevalent or not from this video; it's just a few (racist) trolls that persisted to get a rise out of the other viewers. It doesn't necessarily speak to racial relations in America, and definitely not representative of most or even many of the people that constitute the American public. Thus, this isn't a proper platform to open a dialogue for racial tensions.

Though, it does speak to internet speech, of which is much more volatile and almost non-consequential given the anonymity.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I didn't see anything wrong with the ad - I agree with Varion just smiling family enjoying breakfast. The only thing I blame the video is making me crave some cheerios (since I skipped breakfast today).

Years
I know so many people who are or have been in interracial relationships and I have a few friends who have one white and one non-white parent. It's just... a fact of life. Should we not show that in our media? Is that what the racists and trolls want? Is this one of those denial things, or one of those "protect the children" things?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
First thing's first. In regards to the Kids React video, I love my major (elementary and special education) for this reason. People think kids don't know anything, and when you watch these, you see they are so much smarter than most adults give them credit for. I'd love to have any of these kids in my class. They're all precious and on the right track. That's how I felt as a kid myself. I never saw anything odd about someone having interracial parents. In fact, I always thought it was neat.

These people that find this commercial so wrong and can't appreciate the cute humor without looking and judging the skin color of the parents and child just need to take a step back and look at everything around them. They should state what they see. Tell me the fashion, tell me how the cars look, tell me about the technology. Now check your smart phone, cause I know you have one. What's the date? July 16th, 2013. What time is it? 3 o' get the **** over it clock.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I like the video and I see nothing wrong with it at all. Why are interracial couples still controversial? Makes no sense to me.

Just stupid/ignorant/racist/poorly informed people being some combination of those traits

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I remember first seeing this commercial about a month ago and thought it was really cute. I didn't see anything wrong if it all honestly and still don't. I actually didn't know there was any controversy surrounding it until I watched the Kids React video. Props to those kids, they give me hope in the next generation cause alot of them seem smarter than some adults. It's sad to know that in 2013 this kind of racism still exists. What are we still living in the 1940s here?There's thousands of interracial couples today so this shouldn't be a problem. And it was intended to cause any problem, it was supposed to be a cute commercial. Really some people are just ignorant and that makes me sad this kind of bigotry still exists.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I lol'd at the video, but what isn't controversial these days? I've been seeing interracial couples on ads my whole life and never had a problem, so why is it this video that stirs up controversy? I know interracial couples irl and never feel the need to say something ridiculous and/or ignorant to them. People need to learn that just because they think something is wrong, it doesn't actually make it wrong.

Melody

Banned
Years
This case probably couldn't get more clear cut.

• Troll sees video, posts inflammatory remark(s) pointing out the parents
  • Other trolls see that, do the same, sprinkling slurs and racism liberally around the comment area
  • More trolls come and see, then spread word to the minority who are still racist
  • Minority becomes very vocal in the video comments too, causing problems and generally overreacting to the video.
  • Video creator disables comments because all reasonable discourse is lost in the comments of this video due to trolls

Unfortunately this is more of a reflection on the state of Youtube, and not on any group of people. The number of trolls on YouTube is extremely high, and every video with enough views gets trolls in the comments. Unfortunately this is one of the rare times they succeeded in igniting something. But the Kids React video had the true state of our generation. We're long past racism as far as they were concerned. None of them could guess the interracial parents in the video they saw was something controversial. That's how it should be. No one sensible should be able to find fault in the video.

For years the Cheerios brand has been making cute commercials like this, and there have never been anything considered to be wrong about them before. That a company like this feels like it's worth more to their company values, or bottom line, to stick to their guns and keep this commercial up tells a lot more about today's times. I'm sure that anyone who is against racism would be proud of the company.

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
Well, just remember.

There are stupid people everywhere.

Everyone is at least 1% stupid.

You could be the most logical mind in the world, and still be stupid.

Just ask me. I try to be rational and considerate and perfect, but even then I mess up around 99% of the time.

And then there's the trolls.

oh god Youtube

need I say more?

So when you combine the two together

5tcyUfX.gif

[ythd]i65Cggj076s[/ythd]

Last edited:

Callīope1

█ uranianUmbra
Years
I thought nothing of this ad when I saw it on TV. Saw it multiple times, and all I thought was "Aaaw, she put the Cheerios on his heart ;w;". It never even occurred to me that the parents were to different races, and the kid was mixed. Didn't even notice. Then the internet started bawing over it, and I was completely taken aback by how closed minded people were being.

People astound me sometimes.

It's 2013, America. :/

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
The real crime here is how they say Cheerios taste good. THEY DON'T.

I haven't heard anything about this commercial. I haven't even seen it on the air, and now that I have I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Is there really a huge controversy about this? Everyone I've met on the Internet seems so liberal =P

Back