The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Synchronous
Hacking is moving to the cloud.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
PokeHex
[Hex Editor] PokeHex
-A Pokemon Hexadecimal Editor-

Introduction

Everything has a humble beginning, doesn't it? This Hex Editor started off as a very humble release, and didn't receive any praise at all in the beginning. But a humble release doesn't warrant a humble future. This current build is the final Alpha version of PokeHex.

PokeHex is a Hex Editor dedicated to ROM Hacking on a whole new level. It has many functions that are purely for hacking Pokemon ROMs.

When you first started hex editing, you might have deleted an area of bytes, and noticed that the ROM did not function at all. Later, you might have realized that doing so shifted all of the bytes down. As a more seasoned hacker, you might still feel inconvenienced by this.

This program would be the diagnosis. I want to make ROM hacking as comfortable and convenient for you as possible. Maybe, just possibly, this will eventually become a household hacking tool.

(Think about a ROM hacking IDE. /nosebleed)

If you have knowledge of a particular tool, or would like to help, send me a VM or PM.

If there are questions that you have, bugs that you would like to report, or new features that you would like to suggest, you can comment on this thread, or VM or PM me as well.

And yay ^_^ I released this the day before I turn 14 :)

Note
All functions are programmed to support ROM hacking.
Cutting will fill the selection area with FF bytes.
Pasting will overwrite bytes instead of inserting them.
'Deleting' a selected area of bytes will only replace the selection area with FF bytes.
Pressing 'Delete' or 'Backspace' without a selection with delete an FF byte and move forwards or backwards one byte, respectively.

Current Features
Complimentaries (Opening, Saving, Editing Functions, Search Functions)
One-Click Run in VBA
One-Click Backup
Endian Hex Reversing Tool Window
Hex Calculator Tool Window
Base Converter Tool Window
ROM Extender
THUMB/ARM Assembler with Inline Output
Bit-Flicking Module (Byte Splicing, shifting, circling, notting)
Choice Between RSEFRLG and ANSI Text-Tables
Customization (Color Scheme, Font, and Others)
Hex Editing Information
Quite a few easter eggs, as well, if you can find them.

To-Do List
Patcher Compatible with IPS/UPS/APS-----20%
Script Editor-----70%
Free Space Finder-----60%
User-Defined Macros-----20%
Bookmarking-----60%
Native Tools Similar to YAPE, AdvanceMap-----40%

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Known Bugs
Program crashes when exploiting the file past the last byte.

Compatibility
All Win32 and Win64 computers. .NET Framework 2.0 and up.

Contributors
Programmer: DeltaSalamence

I could only upload the application itself with the thread; the full repository is here, which contains a download with several hacking tools included that the program uses for quick access.

Attached Files
File Type: zip PokeHexStandalone.zip‎ (584.6 KB, 328 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by Synchronous; July 11th, 2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: CSS Added [Looks awesome]
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaSalamence View Post
Secondly, there is no Hex Editor custom-made for hacking ROMs, so it is my aim to create one for that purpose.
This is actually not true.

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/hexu...slhextion.html

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

This site likes to keep things quiet and buries things. Over the years I have seen many injustices on this website to members of the ROM hacking community. Some where even very important people in the community that are now gone. If you want a website where you will be treated fairly and you can voice your opinion while learning more about ROM hacking then please join the following website.
http://pokemonhackersonline.com/
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Synchronous
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post
Hmm... Thanks for sending this link. I'll change the post.
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Iacobus
sǝɯɐɾ

While this might be a good learning experience for you, I don't see why anyone would use this over other well known hex editors. At this time at least.

Not only is this probably much less stable/memory efficient1 than other (free or paid) hex editors whom have been around for a while. Your editor also does not have a single unique feature.
I personally would've released this at a later stage. After I added the more unique features for example.

You surely seem to know what you are doing for the most part though, so keep it up! Even at this stage this is one of the more advanced programmed tools here at PC.
It's also nice to see new fellow programmers

1. Do not load the files into memory!

PS: Please don't center your post.
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Synchronous
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iacobus View Post
While this might be a good learning experience for you, I don't see why anyone would use this over other well known hex editors. At this time at least.

Not only is this probably much less stable/memory efficient1 than other (free or paid) hex editors whom have been around for a while. Your editor also does not have a single unique feature.
I personally would've released this at a later stage. After I added the more unique features for example.

You surely seem to know what you are doing for the most part though, so keep it up! Even at this stage this is one of the more advanced programmed tools here at PC.
It's also nice to see new fellow programmers

1. Do not load the files into memory!

PS: Please don't center your post.
Thanks for your constructive thoughts.

I was too used to the Team Discussions thread... Everything is centered there.
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:33 AM
hackstar
Check it out!!

Nature: Bashful
is it working only working for gba roms?
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Synchronous
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackstar View Post
is it working only working for gba roms?
No, it works for any file with binary values.

I intend to make this just for hacking .gba files, though.
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Please capitalise the letters.

And yeah, I'd want to see more new features before I switched.
Old July 10th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Synchronous
Community Supporter

Bumped for the new release...
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Gamer2020

Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
This is staring to look a little promising. I have a suggestion. What about the possibility of it showing bytes in structures? It would make hex editing that much easier to follow. Good luck.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

This site likes to keep things quiet and buries things. Over the years I have seen many injustices on this website to members of the ROM hacking community. Some where even very important people in the community that are now gone. If you want a website where you will be treated fairly and you can voice your opinion while learning more about ROM hacking then please join the following website.
Old July 11th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Synchronous
Community Supporter

Similar to HW's data visualizer? Or maybe its byte info panel?

I could do things like that.

Or did you mean something like this?

Spoiler:
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Gamer2020

Something like, yes. I don't need more words but this site insists...

Old July 16th, 2013, 11:39 AM
DarkPsychic

Well this looks just Amazing

You have obviously been busy and it does show.

A Rom Modding IDE is my ultimate goal, this is why I am grinding to learn how to program. So some day soon I can create my own tools and be an asset to the community.

Any way though this does look promising and I thank you as a fellow Modder for creating such an amazing tool.

PS If there is any way you can teach me how one makes such a tool I would be more than happy to be an apprentice.
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Synchronous
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPsychic View Post
Well this looks just Amazing

You have obviously been busy and it does show.

A Rom Modding IDE is my ultimate goal, this is why I am grinding to learn how to program. So some day soon I can create my own tools and be an asset to the community.

Any way though this does look promising and I thank you as a fellow Modder for creating such an amazing tool.

PS If there is any way you can teach me how one makes such a tool I would be more than happy to be an apprentice.
Sure. I'm currently working on improving this, as well as a DLL that all programmers can use to develop their tools. It will include macro objects and such. You can expect to see this within the next month.
Old October 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM
haven1433
Modder / Programmer

I've been looking for a tool like this! As I'm looking through the GBA ROM, I find the two most important things are pointers and text. Maybe later scripts recognition will be important too, but as a fellow programmer I understand the difficulty of that.

You say you've already got translation to the PCS3-W for bytes, so I would definitely adopt this editor if it could follow pointers forward and back. That is, if it sees four aligned bytes that end with "08", it assumes it's a pointer and lets the user jump to there. Backwards would be more difficult: from a current location, searching the entire file for places that point to that location.

Keep up the good work! Great to see tools like this coming from young developers; I'm excited about what you'll accomplish!
Old October 12th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Nelsyv

This looks fantastic! As soon as I have need of a hex editor (probably soon for my hack, but I'm putting it off because hex-editing is kind of intimidating... ), I know which one I'll choose

On the subject of a rom hacking IDE, I think a step in the right direction would be a suite where you can have all of the other essential tools in one window (AM, FSF, unLZ, XSE, etc.) as well as a (debuggable?) emulator to test your stuff. It could have a GUI similar to Photoshop, where you can have the programs in little sub-windows or all on a taskbar type of thing. Of course, you'd need to round up permission from HackMew and LU-HO and all of the other creators first... and it might be difficult to release updates for individual tools. Eh, I wish I had the skills/time-to-learn-the-skills for such a thing, but I guess I have to stick with just hacking

Oh and you just got an automatic sub to this thread, I want to see where this goes with newer versions

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
92% of teens moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

Last edited by Nelsyv; October 27th, 2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: goshdarned grammar...
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Nelsyv

Bug (Maybe?) Report:
I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but being able to paste in data to search for in the "Find Hex" window would be REALLY helpful...

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
92% of teens moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Old January 18th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Goombario64
Master of Galaxies

Nature: Quirky
Does this have a find/replace function? Because according to the tutorial made by destinedjagold about adding new types into Ruby/Sapphire, a find/replace function is needed to add new types in. I've looked everywhere in PokeHex (I even tried Ctrl + H) but haven't found a function like this.
You may notice that I, unlike most people on the Internet, actually use proper grammar. I can't stand it when people talk so confusingly, with their "i loeve thiz plashe itsz sou funn!" sentences everywhere I look. Copy and paste this in your sig if you feel the same way.
And please, if I ever misspell anything, please tell me - that kind of thing just irks me something awful.
Old January 19th, 2014, 01:23 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Please don't revive threads with no posts for 2 months.

Delta Salamence, if you want this thread reopened, contact giradialkia, Drfuji, or myself.

~karatekid552

Paired with Simba
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links