The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Hikamaru
The Sea Otter Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky

Advertise here
My Pokemon gaming career started on my 11th birthday, when I got my first Pokemon game Ruby. The thing was I started late compared to most people here who normally started at 1st or 2nd Gen. I didn't start on 4th Gen until 2008, when I got my Ice Blue DS Lite and Pearl, and Platinum was added to my collection a year later. I got SoulSilver the year after that shortly after my brother got HeartGold. Then for my 19th birthday I got Black, starting my 5th Gen phase and then got White a few months later. Finally last December I got Black 2 and White 2, which are my current focus until X & Y.

Been playing for around 10 years if you take me turning 21 this year into account.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | supporter

Old July 16th, 2013, 06:25 PM
R.F.
Badass Overlord

Nature: Calm
I've started with Blue some time before Yellow came out. I've played until Sapphire, took a break till Heartgold/Soulsilver and since then I've started playing the games again. I think most of the time I spent with my Gold Version with a save file containing more than 250 hours of gameplay and 250 different caught Pokemon xD

Don't know precisely how long I'm into the games, though ^^"
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
Hmm, I don't know how I actually got into pokemon. I started with Pokemon Blue when my Mom and Dad got me a Gameboy and the game at a yard sell. I eventually got Yellow not long afterwards. I got Gold and Crystal when they came out. I got Ruby when it first came out and then got Sapphire the Christmas after. Then I got Firered and Emerald. Then Diamond, on the very first day it was out. I preordered it and was the 3rd person to get in my town. I was at gamestop when it first opened. Then Heartgold a few months after it came out after I saw one of my good friends bring her SS to school. (High School) I also got Pokemon Black and White before anyone else in my town because my Mom worked at Wal-Mart. Then I got Black 2 and White 2 within the first week it was out.

So I have never missed a game other than Pt. That was when I had a huge break from pokemon. I never have actually taken a break from it.

So to answer your question I got Pokemon Blue in Summer of 2001 or 2002. I do not remember exactly what year it was. So I have been playing the game for about... 11 years.
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:03 PM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
I'm not sure I was probably 4 or 5 when I started to get into it. In Sept. 1998 (When Red and Blue released) I would have been 4.
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Alexial
dream

Nature: Naive
I've been playing Pokemon since the R/B/Y, then stopped until Fire Red came out. Been playing ever since.

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Austin1395
Dark-type Trainer

Nature: Serious
Since I was born practically when the games came out (I was born in late 1995), I wasn't able to start playing right away. I watched the anime as a kid on Cartoon Network and fell in love. I found out that there were games and, well pardon my language, I flipped ****. I had my parents buy me Red and Yellow, and my older sister, who was sort of a fan of the series, got Blue. When I found out about the Generation 2 games, I once again, flipped ****. My older sister fell out of the series, so I got all three games myself. At this point, I had a large collection of trading cards, toys/figures, movies, etc. I was obsessed. Sadly, after a while, I fell out of the series. Got rid of everything (I regret it to this day).

Around the time of HG/SS's release, I got back in to the series. Before the games were released, I downloaded an emulator on my computer and played the ROM of Emerald. I later played the other two but that wasn't for a few years. I got both games for Christmas the year they were released. I played SS and let a friend of my sisters borrow HG (I haven't seen it since, I'm very mad). I beat it and loved the idea of the PokeWalker. Eventually B/W came out, I got White because I liked Zekrom. Eventually I transferred everything from SS to White. About two months ago I got B2, eventually traded everything from White and now here we are. Anticipating X and Y.
Old July 17th, 2013, 04:17 PM
lmcde22

I first started palying just before Emerald came out. So like early 2005 would make it around 8 years... I'm only 16 so I've been playing for half of my life already... I remember first time I played... Sapphire. I couldn't figure out how to get out the the truck :/ Then a friend gave me Blue and I played the s**t out of that before I bought Emerald as soon as I could.

Good old days. Pokemon was so challenging back then. I kinda miss it.
Old July 17th, 2013, 07:23 PM
TheKurtzinator
Professional Derp/Trainer

Nature: Lax
The first game I started playing was Pokemon Stadium when I was around 5. I played all the games at my friend's houses, but I never owned one until I was when i got Sapphire for my 9th birthday in 2003. I have been a die-hard fan ever since.

My X/Y Shiny Pokemon - Lanturn (1st Shiny Ever!), Basculin, Poliwag, Gyarados, Dragalge, Corsola (Coral Blue #5), Drilbur, Greninja

Pokemon X FC: 1736-1658-9492

Safari Pokemon - (Ghost) Shuppet, Pumpkaboo, and Dusclops.
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Callīope
█ uranianUmbra

Send a message via AIM to Callīope Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Callīope Send a message via Skype™ to Callīope
I've been playing since R/B/Y, which is basically most of my life. XD; No regrets.

- also Drew.

paired to timaeusTestified

this is how to be a heart breaker
boys, they like a little danger.
i la-la-la-la-love you. ❤
[S] The Prince is Awake.
tumblr || EGC || flavors.me
Old July 18th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
I started with Red and Blue when I was 8 or 9 and have happily played through each generation since. If I remember right, Blue was my first game and it was so so fun. :) Pokemon helped me learn English as well!

pair | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM
ps3smileyface

Wow guys and girls thanks for all the replies. I sadly fell out of the series for many years. My now ex girlfriend got me back into the series when we started talking about it on a date one night. She got all excited when i got my 3ds xl and white 2 for christmas and took it and wanted to play it. Sadly we broke up but my char name on there is katniss and is female even though im male. I missed several generations which sucks. It makes me sad. I am currently playing HG and Plat. but i havent got all the starter pokemon yet so i am waiting to get them in a trade. I want the orig. starters for HG too. I miss them so much. I currently play them at work lol.
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:41 PM
EJ Nero
OshaPower!

Nature: Bold
First started playing in the 3rd generation in 2003. I got Ruby for my 9th birthday about a month after it came out, and was hooked from there. I had been watching the series though on TV since 2000.

When I was in 8th grade I kind of fell out of love with Pokémon. I didn't really play again until HG/SS came out in 2010 and I got SS. I stopped playing that too after awhile. I didn't touch Pokémon again until Black/White came out. Soon after I stopped playing it as well, and recently I've been enticed back into my favorite childhood series now that the next generation is coming out. So 2003-2008 played nothing but Pokémon, came back in 2010 for a while and again in 2011, and now in 2013 I am playing again. Its been a bumpy ride but I just can't let go of Pokémon. I'll probably play it off and on for a long time to come.
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:33 PM
ps3smileyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ Nero View Post
First started playing in the 3rd generation in 2003. I got Ruby for my 9th birthday about a month after it came out, and was hooked from there. I had been watching the series though on TV since 2000.

When I was in 8th grade I kind of fell out of love with Pokémon. I didn't really play again until HG/SS came out in 2010 and I got SS. I stopped playing that too after awhile. I didn't touch Pokémon again until Black/White came out. Soon after I stopped playing it as well, and recently I've been enticed back into my favorite childhood series now that the next generation is coming out. So 2003-2008 played nothing but Pokémon, came back in 2010 for a while and again in 2011, and now in 2013 I am playing again. Its been a bumpy ride but I just can't let go of Pokémon. I'll probably play it off and on for a long time to come.
yeah i took a break too. I understand but i am glad to be back.
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:36 AM
Aslan
the pretender

Unlike pretty much every person in this thread, my first generation of Pokemon was actually the fourth in 2008! I had watched the anime a lot when I was a kid and I absolutely loved it (when I was younger, I always wanted a Pikachu because I considered it a legend amongst the ranks of Mewtwo / Kyogre / Mew etc.). I had watched my sister play Emerald for a while and then I decided I wanted to give the games a go as well, so for my 7th birthday I got Platinum! Yeah I'm insanely young compared to everyone else. Since then I've played Emerald and almost all of Crystal, I glitched up Yellow, played Heartgold, restarted Platinum 6082 times and I've also played Black 2. I still watch the anime but not as much. I also have a lot of Pokemon figurines from my trip to China and a few Trading Cards (that I don't really use unfortunately). So I've been playing around five years to answer the question? Despite that being nowhere near the 10 or 11 years most people have racked up, Pokemon still means a lot to me. :)

draco dormiens
nunquam titillandus
Old July 21st, 2013, 08:44 PM
ps3smileyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Unlike pretty much every person in this thread, my first generation of Pokemon was actually the fourth in 2008! I had watched the anime a lot when I was a kid and I absolutely loved it (when I was younger, I always wanted a Pikachu because I considered it a legend amongst the ranks of Mewtwo / Kyogre / Mew etc.). I had watched my sister play Emerald for a while and then I decided I wanted to give the games a go as well, so for my 7th birthday I got Platinum! Yeah I'm insanely young compared to everyone else. Since then I've played Emerald and almost all of Crystal, I glitched up Yellow, played Heartgold, restarted Platinum 6082 times and I've also played Black 2. I still watch the anime but not as much. I also have a lot of Pokemon figurines from my trip to China and a few Trading Cards (that I don't really use unfortunately). So I've been playing around five years to answer the question? Despite that being nowhere near the 10 or 11 years most people have racked up, Pokemon still means a lot to me.
I am glad to see a new generation coming up and playing. I have a niece I am helping raise and she is 4 months old but i already plan on getting her into pokemon as soon as possible to help keep it alive. She will sit in my lap and watch me play lol.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
BubbleBeams
Defeating Champions Since 1999

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to BubbleBeams
I started playing Pokemon in 1999, a little bit after I turned 10 and around the time that Pokemon Yellow was first released. My first game was Pokemon Blue, which was given to me by a family friend's son, and my first Pokemon was Charmander.

I've roughly been playing Pokemon games for close to 14 years now.

Wow. I'm old.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:01 PM
Clueman7766477
Soon-to-Be Master

I played for I think... 13 or more years?
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:13 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I got my first Pokemon game (Diamond version) March of '11 and have played it since them. Due to a lack of a game system that can play Gen I and II, so far I've played III - V.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:26 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I never played a Pokemon video game until I was in 4th grade, and that first game was Sapphire. I've been playing Pokemon for around 10 years now.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:59 AM
HSV15

Nature: Modest
As the First Generation games were released a few months before I was born (December '96), I didn't get into the games until around '05. A friend got me into Pokemon in Year 3 ('05) and I bought Pokemon Blue on eBay followed shortly by Red and, unfortunately, a counterfeit copy of Ruby with my GBA SP that Christmas (which subsequently deleted itself when I had seen 180/200 in the Pokedex). I got the NDS on my 10th birthday along with Pokemon Ranger. The next year I got Diamond on my birthday, and grabbed Pearl the next year, along with Emerald on eBay. Bought Platinum the same month it was released and since then have got one of each new pair of games on release date, and on two occasions, the corresponding strategy guide. So, after that essay, here is the timeline of the main series games I acquired:

Blue, Red, Ruby - '05
Diamond - '07
Pearl, Emerald - '08
Platinum - '09
SoulSilver + Strategy Guide - '10
Black, Sapphire - '11
HeartGold, Black 2 + Strategy Guide - '12
FireRed - '13

So, doing the math, I have been playing Pokemon for 8-9 years. I also enjoy the anime and have Seasons 1-14 and all the movies up to Victini (excluding The First Movie)

| B: 1/8 | R: n/a | Y: 0/8 |
| G: 1/16 | S: n/a | C: 0/16 |
| R: 0/8 | S: 8/8 | E: 8/8 | FR:8/8 | LG: n/a |
| D: 8/8 | P: 3/8 | Pt: 5/8 | HG: 0/16 | SS: 16/16 |
| B: 1/8 | W: n/a | B2: n/a | W2: 8/8 |
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:24 AM
greenking13
LORD OF ZHERRY

I moved and met a person who had pokemon Red... Fell in love with the game and the dudes like a cousin now.

Still love Emerald the most though.
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
Pokémon Platinum Red
Pokémon Platinum Blue
­

Old July 26th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Gogofreak
Touhou and Pokemon Fanatic

Nature: Jolly
I've been playing Pokemon for less than a year. I found my Gameboy Advance, bought Emerald and fell in love. Although, I was a fan of the trading card game when I was younger, liked the anime later, then I discovered Pokememes. So I have been a fan of Pokemon for my entire life, in a way!
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Gengar's Shadow

I really can't remember when I started playing since I was really young. All I know is that I started with Pokemon Yellow then Crystal, Emerald, Diamond, Soulsilver, White, and White 2.
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:26 PM
ps3smileyface

Yeah I just beat white 2s main story (the pokemon league.) I loved it so much I bought Black 2 as well. LOL. My birthday is in Aug. so i am paying off X and Y then and my ps4.
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Ckbruin

I started my adventure when I was 11 (going on 12) years old, in August 2008. The current generation that was out was the 4th. I just picked up Pearl from a nearby Gamestop that one of my aunts was so kind enough to buy for me. Back then, I didn't understand much of the game mechanics (except for the slightly obvious "power = damage" and "HP = life" parts). Clearing the E4 and securing the HoF took a lot of my time, compared to now. Now that I'm 16 (going on 17), not to brag but...I believe I have a deep understanding of most of the mechanics that this game has to offer. I don't own a lot of the games...in fact I only own 3. Pearl (mentioned earlier), Black 2 (November 2012), and SoulSilver (January 2013). I USED to own a GBA cartridge of Pokemon Emerald, but I have no idea where it went...

Sponsored Links

Advertise here